1. Post #81
    June 2010
    1,338 Posts

Oh god how do i particles

Edited:

nvm lol
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 5Funny Funny x 1 (list)

2. Post #82
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,056 Posts
    Any ideas how this could be happening?

The exception pops out even thought it's in a try-catch.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Croatia Show Events

3. Post #83
    Interesting that you say that. Friend.
    August 2007
    3,378 Posts

I have absolutely zero idea on what I'm talking about, but I'm going to bounce an idea anyways.

Maybe the buffer you're trying to delete is currently in use or locked, that in-use buffer, being outside the try-catch, gives reason as to an exception was raised on a function located in the try-catch.

Again, zero idea on what I was talking about.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

4. Post #84
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,969 Posts

If that's in a Dispose or Finalize method, it's because by the time the finalizer gets called, the OpenGL context has been closed. Just create an Unload() method and call it from GameWindow's OnUnload virtual method. That guarantees that the program has exited, but that the OpenGL context hasn't been closed yet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Useful Useful x 2Informative Informative x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

5. Post #85
    September 2010
    1,070 Posts
    Getting started on a todo app.

Baby steps.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events Funny x 14Programming King x 9Useful x 1Agree x 1Disagree x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

6. Post #86
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,056 Posts
    Is there a way to render to a FBO but make it so it doesn't clip the stuff that would usually be out of the screen if the FBO's attached texture is bigger than the screen?

7. Post #87
    June 2011
    342 Posts
    Getting started on a todo app.
    img
    Baby steps.
    Your windows skin looks awesome!
    Whats the name of it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Late Late x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

8. Post #88
    September 2010
    1,070 Posts
    Your windows skin looks awesome!
    Whats the name of it?
    Clearscreen Sharp
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

9. Post #89
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    486 Posts
    Yet another timelapse upload by me...

[url]

I find its a really good way to motivate me to actually create something, i've been getting abit down lately and find it pretty relaxing just to have a mad scramble to make something half decent within an hour.

Hopefully i can have something bigger and better to show later!

Oh and on a side note, on the channel "Bambofy" I was offered a Youtube Partnership, However my adsense account (which is needed for youtube to pay you) was banned ages ago because some people thought they were "supporting" me by spamming the links on my site, turns out that bans are for life so theres no way of getting that back. SOOOO back to scratch with a new channel and email so that if it happens again i can just join.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

10. Post #90
    January 2009
    651 Posts
    Is there a way to render to a FBO but make it so it doesn't clip the stuff that would usually be out of the screen if the FBO's attached texture is bigger than the screen?
    Using a RBO instead? Maby I'm wrong but try it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Sweden Show Events

11. Post #91
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,056 Posts
    Are you sure? Everything I've read about FBOs says that render buffers are mostly only used as a depth component to the FBO.

12. Post #92
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    1,774 Posts
    Yet another timelapse upload by me...

[url]

I find its a really good way to motivate me to actually create something, i've been getting abit down lately and find it pretty relaxing just to have a mad scramble to make something half decent within an hour.

Hopefully i can have something bigger and better to show later!

Oh and on a side note, on the channel "Bambofy" I was offered a Youtube Partnership, However my adsense account (which is needed for youtube to pay you) was banned ages ago because some people thought they were "supporting" me by spamming the links on my site, turns out that bans are for life so theres no way of getting that back. SOOOO back to scratch with a new channel and email so that if it happens again i can just join.
    Wait what? I find it impossible to believe you got a partnership at 25 subs and 1057 views. If you have then how? I'm confused.

Edit: Oh I see, something about TTTT. I'll research it!

13. Post #93
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    486 Posts
    Edit: Oh I see, something about TTTT. I'll research it!
    Its actually not too difficult to get the partnership as many people think, I'll do a brief explination or what I think it takes to get one...

So basicly all it takes is about... 50 people? to watch your videos every time you upload one, if you get over 2 likes and a few favourites ( not sure on the count ) then eventually you get a invitation. Its got nothing to do with views or subs, its about how many people are actively "following" you.

Obviously this is just my personal view on it so i could be wrong. Heres some proof of the invitation.

Edited:

oh and TTTT is just a silly thing Athene is doing to get more views, i'm only copping into it to get some traffic to some experimental sites such as...

www.togethertothetop.co.uk

Edited:

Now that i'm looking at it, is that a partnership or is it something different?

Edited:

it says monetising?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 5 (list)

14. Post #94
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    1,647 Posts
    Random colored planets!

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 10Winner Winner x 1 (list)

15. Post #95
    May 2010
    5,375 Posts
    Its actually not too difficult to get the partnership as many people think, I'll do a brief explination or what I think it takes to get one...

So basicly all it takes is about... 50 people? to watch your videos every time you upload one, if you get over 2 likes and a few favourites ( not sure on the count ) then eventually you get a invitation. Its got nothing to do with views or subs, its about how many people are actively "following" you.

Obviously this is just my personal view on it so i could be wrong. Heres some proof of the invitation.

Edited:

oh and TTTT is just a silly thing Athene is doing to get more views, i'm only copping into it to get some traffic to some experimental sites such as...

www.togethertothetop.co.uk

Edited:

Now that i'm looking at it, is that a partnership or is it something different?

Edited:

it says monetising?
    Allthough this has nothing to do with this section, I love hearing about this kind of stuff.
    Rated informative

Also what does it say under "How much will I earn"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

16. Post #96
    January 2010
    5,900 Posts
    So, after a long time of being stumped (I'm pretty new to C#) I finally got shooting to work. Of course you can only shoot one bullet at a time so far. ;(

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

17. Post #97
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    1,774 Posts
    I know this off-topic but did it other you branding options ect.? I have a video that said I could apply for partnership for which is called an IVP (Individual Video Partnership) - where I could monetize one video with ads.

18. Post #98
    Everyone has a $1 title
    November 2008
    7,046 Posts
    Was looking at semi old videos i've uploaded on youtube and i spotted this unfinished game i was making a month ago or so, don't know why i stopped working on it really, might start again.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Programming King Programming King x 5 (list)

19. Post #99
    ASK ME ABOUT MY PLAYBOOK INSTEAD OF COLLEGE
    April 2011
    1,616 Posts
    nothing better than the feeling of uploading a new level to your website, then running your game and watching it download the new update
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Programming King Programming King x 7Informative Informative x 1 (list)

20. Post #100
    April 2010
    2,323 Posts
    Im a bit late, but how did my mandelshit manage to get into the highlights? Its awful
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

21. Post #101
    April 2011
    1,616 Posts
    nothing better than the feeling of uploading a new level to your website, then running your game and watching it download the new update
    now comes the hard part...uploading user-created levels through the game itself

any tips on spam-prevention? i don't want someone figuring out how the game uploads data and then spamming my server with a million files

22. Post #102
    April 2007
    1,146 Posts

any tips on spam-prevention? i don't want someone figuring out how the game uploads data and then spamming my server with a million files
    Require an account or something, then upload using hashes or whatever it is accounts do
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events

23. Post #103
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    4,841 Posts
    Oh boy a chance to be useful! Time to shine

I sort of had that problem when working on the rainbow clash level upload code (we used just a php file to handle the attributes) basically the first line of defence would be the user agent check - but once that's figured out (and since I've mentioned it, it probably will be soon). The second line of defence would be basically logging when the user uploaded the last map/whatever. Perhaps save it even in the user data table so it can be easily and quickly fetched. Maybe a timeout period of 5 or so minutes would be enough, keeping in mind how long a level creation takes.
    Or you could make it more elaborate, for example allow 3 levels to be uploaded, then have an alert level attribute that goes up by one after that - and with each level higher, the user has to wait longer to upload more maps between each upload - and for each level raised, it would take two or three times as much time to lower the alert level by one.

That is of course, if you use accounts. Otherwise use IPs and pretty much the same approach.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Slovenia Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

24. Post #104
    April 2011
    1,616 Posts
    Hey, thanks a bunch for the info!

I specifically want to avoid accounts, I want the experience to be as simple as possible - load game, hit "Edit", make a level, hit "Upload", done. I think I'm gonna focus on timeouts based on IPs - you can only upload a level every 30 minutes or so, for example. Thanks for the idea!

25. Post #105
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,412 Posts
    Im a bit late, but how did my mandelshit manage to get into the highlights? Its awful
    It looks funky
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

26. Post #106
    May 2008
    898 Posts
    How come you can't just adjust the projection matrix so that it actually uses the whole FBO attached texture? Sounds like a bad idea that's all.

27. Post #107
    July 2009
    7,142 Posts
    Back from yorkshire and really in the mood for porgamong:

How do you guys do eye-candy? I'd like some neat glow effects on my trails, a la geometry wars.
    Just so you know, I stole my [sub][sub][sub][sub][sub]not[/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub] asteroids idea from your first image that you posted of that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

28. Post #108
    Gold Member

March 2005
    3,028 Posts
    Adjust the viewport, perhaps?
    glViewport
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Show Events

29. Post #109

August 2011
    192 Posts
    changes:
    -particle effects are now loadable from file:
    Code:
    limit=0
    sTime=50
    sNum=3
    maxParticles=100
    tex=crate.tga
    sizeMin=20
    sizeMax=30
    driftMin=-1
    driftMax=1
    growthMin=-80
    growthMax=-90
    dirMin=-1.6
    dirMax=-1.5
    vMin=100
    vMax=130
    accMin=100
    accMax=130
    rotMin=0
    rotMax=0
    lifeMin=200
    lifeMax=300
    startR=0.9
    startG=0.5
    startB=0.2
    startA=0.2
    endR=0.9
    endG=0.2
    endB=0.2
    endA=0.7
    -Particle spawn linkable to phys objects
    -fixed angular moment for example for power ups that should be affected by physics but not rotate
    -some background refactoring ;p
    particle SPAM !!!!!! ;p
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Switzerland Show Events Artistic Artistic x 6Informative Informative x 1 (list)

30. Post #110
    May 2010
    5,375 Posts
    I was reading this
    And the bit about Flash Exporter, Basically it was a script that packed all the Flash symbols into one texture and exported animation information with sound cues got my attention.
    Anyone know of any tool like this? I doubt team meat would give me theirs
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events

31. Post #111
    Hates php
    May 2006
    2,415 Posts
    So the other day I found out that Enum.HasFlag is about 16 times slower than doing "(flags & flag) != 0".

http://pastebin.com/UF7K1gRL
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 6 (list)

32. Post #112
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    1,870 Posts
    So the other day I found out that Enum.HasFlag is about 16 times slower than doing "(flags & flag) != 0".

http://pastebin.com/UF7K1gRL
    !(flags & flag)
    *cough* :D
    I doubt that would make any difference, though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Austria Show Events Dumb Dumb x 11Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

33. Post #113
    January 2011
    2,551 Posts
    changes:
    -particle effects are now loadable from file:
    Code:
    limit=0
    sTime=50
    sNum=3
    maxParticles=100
    tex=crate.tga
    sizeMin=20
    sizeMax=30
    driftMin=-1
    driftMax=1
    growthMin=-80
    growthMax=-90
    dirMin=-1.6
    dirMax=-1.5
    vMin=100
    vMax=130
    accMin=100
    accMax=130
    rotMin=0
    rotMax=0
    lifeMin=200
    lifeMax=300
    startR=0.9
    startG=0.5
    startB=0.2
    startA=0.2
    endR=0.9
    endG=0.2
    endB=0.2
    endA=0.7
    -Particle spawn linkable to phys objects
    -fixed angular moment for example for power ups that should be affected by physics but not rotate
    -some background refactoring ;p
    particle SPAM !!!!!! ;p
    That fire actually looks pretty awesome!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

34. Post #114

August 2011
    192 Posts
    That fire actually looks pretty awesome!
    haha thx, to be honest I just tested my dynamic texture loading system and loaded the crate texture instead of the real fire texture and it looked pretty neat that's why I kept it ;p
    if you look closely those are all just the same wooden crate just coloured
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Switzerland Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

35. Post #115
    Hates php
    May 2006
    2,415 Posts
    !(flags & flag)
    *cough* :D
    I doubt that would make any difference, though.
    Can't do that in C#.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Informative Informative x 3Funny Funny x 2Zing Zing x 1 (list)

36. Post #116
    January 2011
    2,551 Posts
    haha thx, to be honest I just tested my dynamic texture loading system and loaded the crate texture instead of the real fire texture and it looked pretty neat that's why I kept it ;p
    if you look closely those are all just the same wooden crate just coloured
    I didn't notice that! Haha, that's quite creative!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

37. Post #117
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    1,996 Posts
    Hey.. hey guys.. I made the highlights.. twice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner x 11Programming King x 2Agree x 1Friendly x 1Funny x 1 (list)

38. Post #118
    Hearts
    July 2007
    3,179 Posts
    Starting tomorrow, I'll be taking AP Comp Sci. I wonder if I can finish everything over the weekend.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

39. Post #119
    Paid for a title.
    June 2005
    6,175 Posts
    Readded emancipation grills (They broke during the physics change) and made them like the portals "impossible to lag through".
    Then I did the graphics but I'm not so sure.

Any idea how to make it look less like star wars?
    The more I look at it the more I like it though. Maybe it needs more blue.

Edited:

No offense, george. (I better look out what I say; the lucasarts guy finally wrote back)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Artistic Artistic x 6Funny Funny x 2 (list)

40. Post #120
    Team Hamster
    December 2009
    558 Posts
    Ugh, just made a huge mistake. Was torn between using directinput, xinput or rawinput. I ended up using directinput which hasn't been updated in what, 10 years? Yeah. Apparently my computer hates directinput.

Works great for keyboard but crashes when I create a mouse device. Time to delete a whole bunch of code and restructure shit.

edit: Maybe my mousepad is just retarded. Doesn't crash with an external mouse.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events