1. Post #19361
    July 2009
    100 Posts
    Hello people. What do u think about this pyro rooster hat? Should I finish this hat?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

2. Post #19362
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    2,363 Posts
    This got a pretty unfortunate page placement the last time, so I'm making yet another repost. After this, I won't repeat it in quite a while. I promise!

So, first a repetition of the disclaimers: I want to make it clear that I'm perfectly aware that 'idea-haver person' is a much, much easier job than 'modeler'. I'm humbly asking if someone would be interested in modeling some of this stuff, and if someone is I will be filled with an appropriate level of awe and respect. Oh, and one more thing. A lot of these designs are pretty complicated and detailed. This is intentional; They are meant to serve as outlines/inspirations, and the potential modeler can then feel free to alter the designs however he or she wishes.
    Got that? Cool, here goes.

The Engine Driver (Engineer set idea)
    Set bonus:
    +x% Movement speed
    I think the Engineer class is currently really boring to play. I want there to be a set that promotes a more mobile, offensive playstyle. I thought up some stat ideas and designed a weapon set around them. I know that it's up to Valve what stats are assigned to user-made weapons, but if one of you feels like modeling this maybe you could add the stat suggestions to the description when submitting it to the workshop?
    Well, here's my engineer set. I'm envisioning a color palette of dark grey, dark brown and some really light(but oil-stained) beige for the fabric.

Savage Gun (Primary Weapon)

+x% Damage
    +x% Range
    +x% Movement speed on user
    -x% Spread
    Wielder cannot replenish metal from ammo boxes, resupply cabinets or dispensers.
    This weapon forces the Engineer to rely on dropped weapons for ammo, and occasionally to defend his buildings, but in return makes both tasks easier. Not being able to replenish metal from dispensers makes the traditional engineer nest obsolete, and the dispenser can instead be placed where it's most useful to his teammates.

Tex Piston (Melee)

+x% Damage
    Firing downwards while jumping increases jump height.
    x% slower firing speed.
    This weapon would give the Engineer a weaker version of the rocket jump (or, if you prefer, an easier version of the sentry jump), which gives him greater freedom when placing buildings. To compensate, the slower firing speed makes repairing and upgrading buildings less efficient. Please note that the increase in damage is only there to give this weapon the same DPS rate as the default wrench. For example, if the firing speed is decreased with 20%, the damage would be increased with 25%.

The full set is focused on decreasing the efficiency of repairing but increasing mobility and offensive power. An engineer wearing it would benefit from spreading his buildings out rather than gathering them in a nest; Placing teleporter exits in areas that are difficult to find or access, placing dispensers where they're beneficial for teammates, placing sentries where they take enemies by surprise.

The cosmetic item to complete the set would be the following one, which Recurracy has already offered to model. Hooray for Recurracy!
    Railway Rag (Misc)

The Li'l Rascal (Pyro set idea)
    Set bonus:
    x% increase in movement speed for every enemy ignited by wearer and currently burning.
    Wearer sees Silly Gibs on gibbed players.
    The second set is also based around a bunch of stat ideas, motivated by the fact that I think the Pyro class is sort of messed up. The most useful and most used current Pyro tactic is to equip the Degreaser with the Axtinguisher and run around two-hit-killing people. I - unlike a lot of other people - don't think this is overpowered (there are easier ways to two hit-kill-people when using other classes), but it doesn't fit the concept of the Pyro. Dealing massive close-range damage to single targets is the job of the Scout. I think playing a Pyro should be about ambushing, whittling down group health, disorganizing enemy assaults and just generally setting everyone on fire while giggling like a maniac. Welp, that's the backstory for this set, here goes. I think the reasoning behind the stats for the individual items is rather self-evident.

Mrs. Tiddlywinks (Primary Weapon)

+x% Afterburn damage
    x% Damage penalty

Mr. Bun Bun (Secondary Weapon)
    Constructor offered to model this eventually. Hooray for Constructor!

+x% Flare jump height
    -x% Damage to self
    No crits on burning players
    (The thing strapped to the flare gun is a bunny slipper with a severed foot inside. I apologize for the somewhat unclear angle).

The cosmetic item required to complete the set would be:
    Perfectly Sane choice of Headwear (Hat)

Finally, here are two statless holiday-themed cosmetic items. The names are the good part, in my opinion.
    I'm not very happy about Valve's request for christmas items. Holiday-themed items have a tendency to be garish and annoying, and generally look really misplaced all the rest of the year. I think it's a waste of your (plural) modeling talent.
    Nevertheless, I got this idea for a holiday-themed hat and misc for the soldier. I fond them sort of amusing and fitting, and the misc could be successfully combined with a multitude of other outfits.

the JOLLY FRIENDLY PRESENT-MAN JOY HAT and the HAPPY FESTIVE HOLIDAY BEARD.

I also designed (well, plagiarized the design of a film character for) a sniper hat, but Insaneicide has already offered to model it. Hooray for Insaneicide!
    Professional's Headwear

Also, holy sh*t. People have already offered to model one third of my ideas. I love you guys!

Oh, one little footnote. It's just blatant self-promotion, so you can stop reading now if you want. If you think i seem good at drawing and want to see what it looks like when I make stuff that isn't just sketches, click this link or the website icon below my avatar. If you do, and against all odds happen to like my drawings better than you like hats, feel free to click this link as well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Sweden Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

3. Post #19363
    December 2010
    787 Posts
    Can someone help me? I'm trying to configure GUIStudioMDL but it can't find anything. I'm using the tutorial in the first post. It keeps telling me the "gameconfig.txt" file could not be found in the folder specified for the ep1 tools. I thought at first it might be because I haven't played Ep1 yet (based on config) but that did nothing.

EDIT: I just realised they're backwards. My gameconfig.txt is in my orangebox folder and my studiomdl.exe is in my ep1 folder.....is this normal?
    Repost for new page?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

4. Post #19364
    September 2011
    436 Posts

I've decided that this is finished now. I want to start working on the next part of the project now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

5. Post #19365
    January 2010
    896 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Italy Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

6. Post #19366
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    193 Posts
    Repost for new page?
    You don't really need the EP1 tools, per se. As long as it can find the OB tools, you can compile models for TF2 just fine.

I've decided that this is finished now. I want to start working on the next part of the project now.
    It still looks flat, sadly. Could use an AO bake.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

7. Post #19367
    December 2010
    787 Posts
    You don't really need the EP1 tools, per se. As long as it can find the OB tools, you can compile models for TF2 just fine.

For the OB tools it says studiomdl.exe can't be found. I found that in the ep1 folder, should I just move it? Would that work?

8. Post #19368
    September 2011
    436 Posts

I tried an AO bake. It turned out like shit. You'll see one in the next project though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

9. Post #19369
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    193 Posts
    Odd, the OB tools are in "sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

10. Post #19370
    December 2010
    787 Posts
    Odd, the OB tools are in "sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin"
    And by extension you mean C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\username\sourcesdk\bin\orang ebox\bin right? Cause that's where im looking, and it gives me that error.

EDIT: I'm going to try and toss studiomdl.exe into the orangebox's bin folder and see if that fixes anything.

EDIT2: This appeared to have worked, so.....yeah. Thanks for the help.

11. Post #19371
    November 2011
    139 Posts
    The Engine Driver (Engineer set idea)

Savage Gun (Primary Weapon)

Tex Piston (Melee)

Railway Rag (Misc)

The Li'l Rascal (Pyro set idea)

Mrs. Tiddlywinks (Primary Weapon)

Mr. Bun Bun (Secondary Weapon)

Perfectly Sane choice of Headwear (Hat)

the JOLLY FRIENDLY PRESENT-MAN JOY HAT and the HAPPY FESTIVE HOLIDAY BEARD.

I also designed (well, plagiarized the design of a film character for) a sniper hat, but Insaneicide has already offered to model it. Hooray for Insaneicide!
    Professional's Headwear
    Man, I love your drawing! Keep it up! And I hope some of your great ideas will get into the game! Respect
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Czech Republic Show Events Informative Informative x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

12. Post #19372
    November 2010
    680 Posts
    Professional's Headwear

Also, holy sh*t. People have already offered to model one third of my ideas. I love you guys!

Oh, one little footnote. It's just blatant self-promotion, so you can stop reading now if you want. If you think i seem good at drawing and want to see what it looks like when I make stuff that isn't just sketches, click this link or the website icon below my avatar. If you do, and against all odds happen to like my drawings better than you like hats, feel free to click this link as well.

You should spend as much time on your concepts as you do on the things on your art blog, like this:

Rough pencil sketches aren't that appealing.
    Also, there is no need to repost the concepts that people have decided to model. It's just wasted text and space.

Also, there isn't much of a point in including your thoughts on stats, either.
    But whatever floats your boat
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

13. Post #19373
    Ask me about my pony player models!
    July 2011
    9,995 Posts
    I wonder if i should try making tiddlywinks too
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

14. Post #19374
    August 2011
    1,586 Posts
    Check it out guys :D

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4Informative Informative x 1 (list)

15. Post #19375
    April 2011
    5,341 Posts

Submit them to the workshop and hopefully valve can do a vita-saw and get them ingame.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

16. Post #19376
    July 2011
    9,995 Posts
    Oh, deodorant, could i get a clean side view of bun bun?

Edited:

I didn't get a TINY BIT of credit?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Finland Show Events

17. Post #19377
    August 2011
    1,586 Posts
    Oh, deodorant, could i get a clean side view of bun bun?

Edited:

I didn't get a TINY BIT of credit?
    Wait what? Im confused.

18. Post #19378
    July 2011
    9,995 Posts
    Wait what? Im confused.

Ask Tal

19. Post #19379
    January 2010
    896 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Italy Show Events Winner Winner x 7Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

20. Post #19380
    Never send a boy to fuck a MAN!
    February 2010
    7,025 Posts
    -Stuff-

Professional's Headwear

Brotha?
       (requested that loooooooooooooooooooooong time ago)   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Poland Show Events Late Late x 14Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

21. Post #19381
    September 2011
    436 Posts

The _____ 'N Rock. What may the missing word be? Once the next part of the model is revealed then you'll see. This replaces the Baseball.

22. Post #19382
    July 2011
    9,995 Posts

The _____ 'N Rock. What may the missing word be? Once the next part of the model is revealed then you'll see. This replaces the Baseball.
    I gotta'

23. Post #19383
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    April 2010
    14,106 Posts

The ROLL 'N Rock. What may the missing word be? Once the next part of the model is revealed then you'll see. This replaces the Baseball.
    I just took a wild guess.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

24. Post #19384
    April 2011
    5,341 Posts

Roll 'N Rock
    A small pun on the rolling rock beer.

I hate ninjas.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Late Late x 4 (list)

25. Post #19385
    November 2011
    139 Posts
    I wonder if i should try making tiddlywinks too
    yes, Tiddlywinks idea is so funny :D
    I had idea that pyro should have simply the lighter and spray..

but its not so Christmassy and its not so original :D..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Czech Republic Show Events

26. Post #19386
    September 2011
    436 Posts
    I just took a wild guess.
    Nice guess but it's wrong.

27. Post #19387
    September 2009
    486 Posts
    yes, Tiddlywinks idea is so funny :D
    I had idea that pyro should have simply the lighter and spray..

but its not so Christmassy and its not so original :D..
    Make it a can of that Christmas Tree life extender stuff and you have a Christmas Item.

Those things are NOTORIOUSLY flammable.

28. Post #19388
    BUY THE BROWN BOMBER
    February 2011
    6,701 Posts
    Not to insult this fantasic model

but wouldn't some snow on the green of the tree make it even -more- festive?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

29. Post #19389
    April 2011
    5,341 Posts
    Nice guess but it's wrong.
    Smash 'N Rock
    Smashing Rock.
    I don't know.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

30. Post #19390
    July 2011
    9,995 Posts
    I would like a side view of bun bun.
    :3

31. Post #19391
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    1,943 Posts
    How about a chimney for the Pyro that'd attached to the tank or replaces the tank and emits smoke whenever you fire or something?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Late Late x 4 (list)

32. Post #19392
    September 2011
    436 Posts
    Smash 'N Rock
    Smashing Rock.
    I don't know.
    It's part of a Desert Scout pack and is a Sandman Replacement.

33. Post #19393
    September 2009
    486 Posts
    I have decided that I want to learn how to Animate.

Not model mind you, I'll never wrap my head around that. Its just too much. I want to learn how to animate models and taunts and such.

Where should I start that isnt google.com because I cant find any relevant info there.

34. Post #19394
    November 2011
    139 Posts
    I am interested in animations and riggin too Kenori! if you find any helpful video or article, please share it with us.

I want to know how to rig and animate weapons. So for example spy will grab it differently and it will have different animation when he backsaps.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Czech Republic Show Events

35. Post #19395
    November 2010
    2,483 Posts
    [REDACTED]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

36. Post #19396
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    11,558 Posts
    The image links to the thread...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

37. Post #19397
    July 2011
    951 Posts
    Well, started a Cthulhu hat for pyro, It's coming along nicely for someone like me, who's most complex model was a dunce cap.

I still need to do the eyes and tentacles, but I think it's pretty good for a first proper model.
    critiques and suggestions are needed, since I can't quite get the head down. But yeah, please, please tell anything I can improve and how I can do so.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

38. Post #19398
    Raffle Rigger
    November 2010
    16,462 Posts
    Not to insult this fantasic model

but wouldn't some snow on the green of the tree make it even -more- festive?
    Not to insult this fantasic idea

but wouldn't some snow on the green of the tree just fall off as he swings it around?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

39. Post #19399
    April 2011
    5,341 Posts

but wouldn't some snow on the green of the tree just fall off as he swings it around?
    Not to insult this fantastic point

but isn't the tree a fake? it's way too pine-tree shaped to be a bonsai.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

40. Post #19400
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    4,966 Posts

Well it's not REAL snow, silly.