1. Post #121
    August 2011
    88 Posts
    Why yes you do need to install the 32-bit Dokan bindings, as the home page says. I guess that's why nothing worked at all...
    It looks like you figured it out though and got some results~ (At least 4103 frames of it)! Yay, progress. Can't really tell you what went wrong if you don't tell me what SrcDemo2 did or its log, though.

Edited:

See post #86 and beyond for some codec ideas... I don't know why you would record stuff at 960fps with it if you have SrcDemo2, though, since its goal is to not have to actually save videos to disk with such huge framerates (and huge filesizes). As for the process I use for my videos, see post 10.

Also, remember to put the "srcdemo2" tag in your YouTube videos! It's all I ask for, instead of putting an obnoxious watermark or logo on the video or having a time/resolution limit like certain lesser programs do ;)
    Your program is great to have high quality image with motion blur, without having to save a file at really high fps. But when it comes to frags videos I need high fps to be able to slow down the speed. If i slow down by half a video at 60 fps the fps will drop to 30 (when i record at 960 it's for really slow motion scenes). So yes your program is awesome but it's not the best for frags clip. That's why there's no slow motion in that video. Oh and actually I made it but my friend uploaded it on his channel without even giving me credit for it xD(so i can't change the tags)

About that post. I really think that adding h264 codec support is pretty useless for the most. I'm sure that who uses your program has a video editing program. I would love to see direct lossless avi with my lovely lagarith codec and even an option to use srcdemo as a simple proxy to save the video without motion blending. When i record I need virtualdub to compose the avi and save it in the right disk. Now, it would be awesome if i could render the video at high fps and have the program save it in avi in the right folder. That would save me a lot of time

2. Post #122
    January 2010
    121 Posts
    Your program is great to have high quality image with motion blur, without having to save a file at really high fps. But when it comes to frags videos I need high fps to be able to slow down the speed. If i slow down by half a video at 60 fps the fps will drop to 30 (when i record at 960 it's for really slow motion scenes). So yes your program is awesome but it's not the best for frags clip. That's why there's no slow motion in that video. Oh and actually I made it but my friend uploaded it on his channel without even giving me credit for it xD(so i can't change the tags)

About that post. I really think that adding h264 codec support is pretty useless for the most. I'm sure that who uses your program has a video editing program. I would love to see direct lossless avi with my lovely lagarith codec and even an option to use srcdemo as a simple proxy to save the video without motion blending. When i record I need virtualdub to compose the avi and save it in the right disk. Now, it would be awesome if i could render the video at high fps and have the program save it in avi in the right folder. That would save me a lot of time
    Well you could set SrcDemo's framerate to 120 to keep a 60fps at 0.5x speed... Though you would have to apply shutter angle yourself if you do that, so I guess that doesn't work. You'd either need 240fps with 360 shutter angle and then simulate 120fps/180degrees in the editor, or give up on shutter angle at all.

The reason for supporting h264 is because it would be the most popular option for a lossy codec for people looking to upload rendered content directly. That alone is a valid use case that deserves implementation; however, doing so makes having a "h264 lossless" option very easy to add, so might as well that one. Of course, it would not be the only lossless codec. Additionally, more and more graphics hardware supports h264 encoding and decoding (on the hardware, not through software, so it's damn fast), which eventually should make this codec suitable for editing despite not being the most friendly format for doing so.

3. Post #123
    Maestro
    August 2006
    2,252 Posts
    Weird glitch with the most recent version of SrcDemo2: it doesn't see anything. I activate and stuff and set everything properly just like the previous version and start my demo, the files appear in the folder, but SrcDemo just doesn't see them! it just gets stuck on waiting to render.
    There are no errors of any kind.

4. Post #124
    September 2011
    687 Posts
    It won't let me download the x86 driver, both checkmarks are already in place for library and x64 drivers. What

5. Post #125
    January 2010
    121 Posts
    Weird glitch with the most recent version of SrcDemo2: it doesn't see anything. I activate and stuff and set everything properly just like the previous version and start my demo, the files appear in the folder, but SrcDemo just doesn't see them! it just gets stuck on waiting to render.
    There are no errors of any kind.
    Which files (tga's or png's?) appear in which folder (mounted folder or output folder?). Can you provide a log file anyway, even though it says nothing?

Edited:

It won't let me download the x86 driver, both checkmarks are already in place for library and x64 drivers. What
    Derp, I meant the x86 bindings, not drivers. Make sure you have the x86 bindings installed. SrcDemo2 runs in a 32-bit JVM, which uses a 32-bit DLL to bind to Dokan, so you need the 32-bit Dokan bindings, but you must use the driver for the architecture of your machine.

6. Post #126
    Gold Member

November 2008
    10,947 Posts

set up playcommands on ticks where you want slow motion and then use host_timescale, much, much better than having low quality slow motion via editing software or having to record at ridiculous framerates
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #127
    set up playcommands on ticks where you want slow motion and then use host_timescale, much, much better than having low quality slow motion via editing software or having to record at ridiculous framerates
    host_framerate overrides host_timescale, so you have to record at a even higher FPS to create slow motion.

As for codec, why not use VP8 with WebM ? Garry even has his own C++ program for it: Holly.

8. Post #128
    Maestro
    August 2006
    2,252 Posts
    Which files (tga's or png's?) appear in which folder (mounted folder or output folder?). Can you provide a log file anyway, even though it says nothing?

Edited:

Derp, I meant the x86 bindings, not drivers. Make sure you have the x86 bindings installed. SrcDemo2 runs in a 32-bit JVM, which uses a 32-bit DLL to bind to Dokan, so you need the 32-bit Dokan bindings, but you must use the driver for the architecture of your machine.
    Turned out a stick of my ram had a lone bad address and it was ruining the program execution when SrcDemo tried to use it.

9. Post #129
    January 2010
    121 Posts
    Turned out a stick of my ram had a lone bad address and it was ruining the program execution when SrcDemo tried to use it.
    Well that sure ain't an easy-to-debug thing... Oh well, glad to know it works.

Edited:

host_framerate overrides host_timescale, so you have to record at a even higher FPS to create slow motion.

As for codec, why not use VP8 with WebM ? Garry even has his own C++ program for it: Holly.
    If there is a need for another lossy codec besides H.264, then yes, VP8 it should be.

10. Post #130
    :-)
    December 2007
    4,211 Posts
    * Select the folder in which you will tell the game to save frames. It must be empty. It is suggested to create a folder named "srcdemo" inside the game's folder, just for this purpose.
    I'm probably being stupid but how do we tell the game to save frames into another folder?

Edited:

disregard what i said, I didn't read the entire OP
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

11. Post #131
    Gold Member

November 2008
    10,947 Posts

host_framerate doesn't affect host_timescale

it's obvious if you're recording with host_framerate 200 and you set host_timescale to 0.5 it will be as slow as recording at 400 fps

12. Post #132
    January 2010
    121 Posts
    Released a new build. You can download it from http://code.google.com/p/srcdemo2/downloads/list as usual.

Changes include:
    - Fixed Blue Screen of Death bug when trying to mount or unmount a directory with a path containing NTFS symbolic links.
    - Reduced maximum resolution of live preview picture to 640x480 to reduce the likelihood of Qt running into a memory access violation error. (This does not affect the resolution of the output frames)
    - Added a checkbox in the rendering tab to disable the preview picture, in case Qt still runs into such errors.
    - The main window now saves and restore its own geometry (screen coordinates, window width, window height) and restores it on launch, alleviating some of the pain caused by having to restart the application when clicking the "Deactivate" button.

The source code is available here.

13. Post #133
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    351 Posts
    What's a good tool for piecing the result files into a final video file? (I'm pretty sure VirtualDub doesn't do PNG files...)

14. Post #134
    January 2010
    121 Posts
    What's a good tool for piecing the result files into a final video file? (I'm pretty sure VirtualDub doesn't do PNG files...)
    I'm pretty sure it does, but SrcDemo2 lets you export to JPEGs or TGAs as well, so I bet you'll find something that fits the bill.
    Other than that, any video editor that is not Windows Movie Maker should support this.

15. Post #135
    The Cold Wind Of France
    Dennab
    November 2008
    18,691 Posts
    it does.

i personally use the PNG sequence straight in after effects myself
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 France Show Events Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

16. Post #136
    it does.

i personally use the PNG sequence straight in after effects myself
    Yeah, its best to compress the files as little as possible before editing or uploading. (Meaning, don't compress/encode before editing is best)

17. Post #137
    September 2011
    687 Posts

Is this good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #138
    January 2010
    121 Posts
    Yeah, its best to compress the files as little as possible before editing or uploading. (Meaning, don't compress/encode before editing is best)
    No, it is fine to compress as much as desired as long as it's not compressed using a form of lossy compression.

Is this good.
    On Windows 64-bit, yes~
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

19. Post #139
    September 2011
    687 Posts
    Same error. Loading it with debug
    Also is it different if I save srcdemo or dokan in Program Files or x86?

20. Post #140
    January 2010
    121 Posts
    Same error. Loading it with debug
    Also is it different if I save srcdemo or dokan in Program Files or x86?
    No, installing in "C:\Program Files" or "C:\Program Files (x86)" should not make any difference.

21. Post #141
    October 2009
    495 Posts
    Houston, we have a problem. SRCDemo is being lazy and useless for some odd reason.

Episode 2's console log:
    Code:
    maxplayers set to 1
    Steam config directory: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\corruptendo\half-life 2 episode two\platform\config
    Hud element 'CMapOverview' doesn't have an entry 'overview' in scripts/HudLayout.res
    Unknown command "cl_thirdperson"
    Can't use cheat cvar cam_snapto in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
    Can't use cheat cvar cam_ideallag in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
    Can't use cheat cvar cam_idealdelta in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
    Can't use cheat cvar cam_idealyaw in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
    Can't use cheat cvar cam_idealpitch in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
    Can't use cheat cvar cam_idealdist in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
    Can't use cheat cvar cam_idealdistright in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
    Can't use cheat cvar cam_idealdistup in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
    Can't use cheat cvar cam_collision in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
    Can't use cheat cvar c_maxpitch in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
    Can't use cheat cvar c_minpitch in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
    Can't use cheat cvar c_maxyaw in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
    Can't use cheat cvar c_minyaw in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
    Can't use cheat cvar c_maxdistance in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
    Can't use cheat cvar c_mindistance in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
    Can't use cheat cvar c_orthowidth in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
    Can't use cheat cvar c_orthoheight in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
    Unknown command "sv_backspeed"
    Can't use cheat cvar fog_start in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
    Can't use cheat cvar fog_end in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
    Can't use cheat cvar fog_color in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
    Can't use cheat cvar fog_colorskybox in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
    Can't use cheat cvar fog_color in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
    Can't use cheat cvar fog_colorskybox in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
    Can't use cheat cvar fog_startskybox in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
    Can't use cheat cvar fog_endskybox in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
    Can't use cheat cvar r_farz in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
    Can't use cheat cvar r_farz in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
    info_particle_system (fx_portal_storm_3_branch1) has no particle system name specified!
    info_particle_system (fx_portal_storm_5) has no particle system name specified!
    info_particle_system (fx_portal_storm_3_branch2) has no particle system name specified!
    info_particle_system (fx_portal_storm_3_branch3) has no particle system name specified!
    Dead end link: track.sound.2
    DataTable warning: env_sprite: Out-of-range value (128.000000) in SendPropFloat 'm_flGlowProxySize', clamping.
    Redownloading all lightmaps
    ] host_framerate 720
    ] startmovie srcdemo/src_
    Started recording movie, frames will record after console is cleared...
    ] playdemo insomniaplayer011
    Playing demo from insomniaplayer011.dem.
    Dropped Karate Sniper's Pupil [GMG] from server (Disconnect by user.)
    SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_foliage/shrub_01a.mdl)
    SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_lab/corkboard002.mdl)
    SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_buildings/row_upscale.mdl)
    SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_buildings/long_building001a.mdl)
    SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_buildings/buildingskybox_002a.mdl)
    SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_buildings/row_res_2.mdl)
    SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_buildings/long_building001a.mdl)
    SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_buildings/buildingskybox_002a.mdl)
    SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_buildings/row_corner_2.mdl)
    SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_foliage/shrub_01a.mdl)
    SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_foliage/ivy_01.mdl)
    SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_foliage/cattails.mdl)
    SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_buildings/row_res_2.mdl)
    ] endmovie
    Stopped recording movie...
    ] stopdemo
    SrcDemo didn't even produce a log after launching it in debug mode. I named the log "loggit", never left it blank.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

22. Post #142
    January 2010
    121 Posts
    Houston, we have a problem. SRCDemo is being lazy and useless for some odd reason.

Episode 2's console log:
    Code:
    maxplayers set to 1
    Steam config directory: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\corruptendo\half-life 2 episode two\platform\config
    Hud element 'CMapOverview' doesn't have an entry 'overview' in scripts/HudLayout.res
    Unknown command "cl_thirdperson"
    Can't use cheat cvar cam_snapto in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
    Can't use cheat cvar cam_ideallag in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
    Can't use cheat cvar cam_idealdelta in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
    Can't use cheat cvar cam_idealyaw in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
    Can't use cheat cvar cam_idealpitch in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
    Can't use cheat cvar cam_idealdist in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
    Can't use cheat cvar cam_idealdistright in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
    Can't use cheat cvar cam_idealdistup in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
    Can't use cheat cvar cam_collision in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
    Can't use cheat cvar c_maxpitch in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
    Can't use cheat cvar c_minpitch in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
    Can't use cheat cvar c_maxyaw in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
    Can't use cheat cvar c_minyaw in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
    Can't use cheat cvar c_maxdistance in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
    Can't use cheat cvar c_mindistance in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
    Can't use cheat cvar c_orthowidth in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
    Can't use cheat cvar c_orthoheight in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
    Unknown command "sv_backspeed"
    Can't use cheat cvar fog_start in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
    Can't use cheat cvar fog_end in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
    Can't use cheat cvar fog_startskybox in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
    Can't use cheat cvar fog_endskybox in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
    info_particle_system (fx_portal_storm_3_branch1) has no particle system name specified!
    info_particle_system (fx_portal_storm_5) has no particle system name specified!
    info_particle_system (fx_portal_storm_3_branch2) has no particle system name specified!
    info_particle_system (fx_portal_storm_3_branch3) has no particle system name specified!
    Dead end link: track.sound.2
    DataTable warning: env_sprite: Out-of-range value (128.000000) in SendPropFloat 'm_flGlowProxySize', clamping.
    ] host_framerate 720
    ] startmovie srcdemo/src_
    ] playdemo insomniaplayer011
    Playing demo from insomniaplayer011.dem.
    Dropped Karate Sniper's Pupil [GMG] from server (Disconnect by user.)
    SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_lab/corkboard002.mdl)
    SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_buildings/row_upscale.mdl)
    SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_buildings/row_corner_2.mdl)
    SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_foliage/ivy_01.mdl)
    SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_foliage/cattails.mdl)
    ] endmovie
    ] stopdemo
    SrcDemo didn't even produce a log after launching it in debug mode. I named the log "loggit", never left it blank.
    That game log looks fine, commands are correct. Not sure what SrcDemo did ("being lazy and useless" isn't very precise...). As for the log file, you have to enter a full path ("C:\Something\something\something.log") like it asks, else it'll try to write to its own directory which isn't writable without administrative rights.

23. Post #143
    October 2009
    495 Posts
    That game log looks fine, commands are correct. Not sure what SrcDemo did ("being lazy and useless" isn't very precise...). As for the log file, you have to enter a full path ("C:\Something\something\something.log") like it asks, else it'll try to write to its own directory which isn't writable without administrative rights.
    Now I caught the madman behind it! The administrative rights caused the problem. I ran it from Administrator and it ran just fine.

24. Post #144
    January 2010
    121 Posts
    Now I caught the madman behind it! The administrative rights caused the problem. I ran it from Administrator and it ran just fine.
    Hm, this shouldn't be required. I only suggested running in administrator mode because that allows it to write inside its installation directory, which then allows it to write to a log file in there if you don't specify a full path. Other than that, this shouldn't be required. Maybe the output directory that you specified for the frames is also write-protected? Check the permissions.

25. Post #145
    October 2009
    495 Posts
    Well, shit happens. Always running as admin is a good idea.

26. Post #146
    July 2010
    5,171 Posts
    Does this work well with DOTA 2 as well?

27. Post #147
    July 2010
    5,171 Posts
    I've been working on the past hour or so with creating an srcdemo2 replay with DOTA 2.

It seems like the netcode is very, very strict like L4D's. Even at host_framerate 90 you see some lagging and stuttering. I'll post a video of the host_framerate 90 play later, it has some weird stuff like creeps running in line for a moment and then suddenly jumping forwards. Not as bad as host_framerate 1200: As nice as that looked, there were huge jumps between characters and you got like 1 or 2 seconds of good footage tops.

Edited:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

28. Post #148
    I've been working on the past hour or so with creating an srcdemo2 replay with DOTA 2.

It seems like the netcode is very, very strict like L4D's. Even at host_framerate 90 you see some lagging and stuttering. I'll post a video of the host_framerate 90 play later, it has some weird stuff like creeps running in line for a moment and then suddenly jumping forwards. Not as bad as host_framerate 1200: As nice as that looked, there were huge jumps between characters and you got like 1 or 2 seconds of good footage tops.

Edited:

For L4D2 there is a fix, but it must be done BEFORE the demo is recorded, and requires you to be the host and have sv_cheats 1.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

29. Post #149
    July 2010
    5,171 Posts
    For L4D2 there is a fix, but it must be done BEFORE the demo is recorded, and requires you to be the host and have sv_cheats 1.
    I'll try that. I know DOTA supports cheats. What's the command?

30. Post #150
    I'll try that. I know DOTA supports cheats. What's the command?
    sv_maxcmdrate 100
    cl_cmdrate 100
    rate 99999999 (not kidding)
    sv_demo_entity_record_rate 250

Smooth as butter.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2Friendly Friendly x 2Informative Informative x 2Useful Useful x 1 (list)

31. Post #151
    July 2010
    5,171 Posts
    Alright, gonna give that a shot with DOTA 2 later this week. Thanks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

32. Post #152
    January 2010
    121 Posts
    Released a new build. You can download it from http://code.google.com/p/srcdemo2/downloads/list as usual.

Changes include:
    - Relicensed under the New (2-clause) BSD License (code was previously under the GPL).
    - Moved around libraries and utilities to make way for non-Windows versions.
    - The Windows installer now offers to uninstall the previous version of SrcDemo before installing itself, if any exists. It is recommended to do so for this particular version, as some files have been moved around such that simply overwriting the installation would leave some useless files around.

I realize that this means the only reason to upgrade is to enjoy the added freedom of the BSD license.
    Other than that, this should pave the way to make the OS X and Linux versions possible.

The source code is available here.

33. Post #153
    September 2011
    687 Posts
    ] host_framerate 90
    ] startmovie srcdemo/someprefix_
    ] playdemo demo
    Playing demo from demo.dem.

Left 4 Dead 2
    Map: c10m1_caves
    Players: 1 (0 bots) / 4 humans
    Build: 4777
    Server Number: 1

CAsyncWavDataCache: 2 .wavs total 0 bytes, 0.00 % of capacity
    Error! Variable "$blendframes" is multiply defined in material "particle/smoke1/smoke1_add_nearcull"!
    No pure server whitelist. sv_pure = 0
    KeyValues Error: RecursiveLoadFromBuffer: got EOF instead of keyname in file materials/vgui/s_panel_gambler_incap.vmt
    UnlitGeneric, (*proxies*), (*AnimatedTexture*),
    KeyValues Error: RecursiveLoadFromBuffer: got EOF instead of keyname in file materials/vgui/s_panel_coach_incap.vmt
    KeyValues Error: RecursiveLoadFromBuffer: got EOF instead of keyname in file materials/vgui/s_panel_mechanic_incap.vmt
    KeyValues Error: RecursiveLoadFromBuffer: got EOF instead of keyname in file materials/vgui/s_panel_producer_incap.vmt
    KeyValues Error: RecursiveLoadFromBuffer: got EOF instead of keyname in file materials/vgui/s_panel_biker_incap.vmt
    KeyValues Error: RecursiveLoadFromBuffer: got EOF instead of keyname in file materials/vgui/s_panel_manager_incap.vmt
    KeyValues Error: RecursiveLoadFromBuffer: got EOF instead of keyname in file materials/vgui/s_panel_teenangst_incap.vmt
    Error! Variable "$blendframes" is multiply defined in material "particle/smoke1/smoke1_add_nearcull"!
    KeyValues Error: RecursiveLoadFromBuffer: got EOF instead of keyname in file resource/UI/ZombiePanel.res
    resource/UI/ZombiePanel.res, (*TankTakeover*), (*BackgroundFill*),
    KeyValues Error: RecursiveLoadFromBuffer: got EOF instead of keyname in file resource/UI/ZombiePanel.res
    Receiving uncompressed update from server
    Couldn't write movie snapshot to file srcdemo/someprefix_0000.tga.
    WaveFixupTmpFile( 'srcdemo/someprefix_.WAV' ) failed to open file for editing
    holidaytheory unpaused the game

Alright this is the console. I suspect the problem is with dokan as it simply isn't mounting anything. Would it be too hard to specify exactly how to install dokan? If it didn't have the java runtime environ it simply wouldn't launch so...probably dokan.

34. Post #154
    January 2010
    121 Posts
    ] host_framerate 90
    ] startmovie srcdemo/someprefix_
    ] playdemo demo
    Playing demo from demo.dem.

Left 4 Dead 2
    Map: c10m1_caves
    Players: 1 (0 bots) / 4 humans
    Build: 4777
    Server Number: 1

CAsyncWavDataCache: 2 .wavs total 0 bytes, 0.00 % of capacity
    No pure server whitelist. sv_pure = 0
    KeyValues Error: RecursiveLoadFromBuffer: got EOF instead of keyname in file materials/vgui/s_panel_gambler_incap.vmt
    KeyValues Error: RecursiveLoadFromBuffer: got EOF instead of keyname in file materials/vgui/s_panel_coach_incap.vmt
    KeyValues Error: RecursiveLoadFromBuffer: got EOF instead of keyname in file materials/vgui/s_panel_mechanic_incap.vmt
    KeyValues Error: RecursiveLoadFromBuffer: got EOF instead of keyname in file materials/vgui/s_panel_producer_incap.vmt
    KeyValues Error: RecursiveLoadFromBuffer: got EOF instead of keyname in file materials/vgui/s_panel_biker_incap.vmt
    KeyValues Error: RecursiveLoadFromBuffer: got EOF instead of keyname in file materials/vgui/s_panel_manager_incap.vmt
    KeyValues Error: RecursiveLoadFromBuffer: got EOF instead of keyname in file materials/vgui/s_panel_teenangst_incap.vmt
    Receiving uncompressed update from server
    Couldn't write movie snapshot to file srcdemo/someprefix_0000.tga.
    WaveFixupTmpFile( 'srcdemo/someprefix_.WAV' ) failed to open file for editing
    holidaytheory unpaused the game

Alright this is the console. I suspect the problem is with dokan as it simply isn't mounting anything. Would it be too hard to specify exactly how to install dokan? If it didn't have the java runtime environ it simply wouldn't launch so...probably dokan.
    I'm pretty sure you installed it right; it checks the installed version of Dokan on start and will tell you if Dokan is not installed or is not the right version. Anyway:
    - Go to http://dokan-dev.net/en/download/
    - Download dokan-0.6.0 (2011/01/10)
    - If you already have a version of Dokan installed, uninstall it and reboot after the uninstallation
    - Install the version you just downloaded; when it asks you for the library/driver versions, choose the 32-bit library (Dokan Library x86), and choose the driver that corresponds to your architecture (Dokan Driver x86 on 32-bit Windows, Dokan Driver x64 on 64-bit Windows)
    - Reboot
    - Make sure you're using a 32-bit JVM (run "C:\wherever-the-jre-is\bin\java.exe" -version; if it says "64-bit" then it's not right; if it says "32-bit" or if it doesn't say anything then it's alright)
    - Start SrcDemo and hope for the best

35. Post #155
    Sphene
    September 2010
    10,881 Posts
    I've given up on both Fraps and DXtory, is this a good replacement?

36. Post #156
    January 2010
    121 Posts
    This is not a replacement. It is simply is an extension to Source Recorder. In itself, it has nothing to do with the game or anything about recording; in fact, SrcDemo2 doesn't contain any video capturing code at all. It's simply meant to be using in conjunction with Source Recorder.

So a slightly better question would be "Is Source Recorder a good replacement for Fraps?", but that's still not a very good question because they simply don't operate the same way at all. Fraps captures from the game as it is running, whereas Source Recorder is part of the Source engine itself and essentially forces it to render at a certain framerate and to write out all resulting frames to disk, regardless of the execution speed that the game has to slow down to. By this difference in mode of operation, it is clear that Source Recorder is capable of achieving much higher quality and framerates than Fraps and the like, since it is not limited by hard drive write speed and game execution speed.

Still, since you asked this question, I assume that you don't know what Source Recorder is yet; I advise you look into that and learn it in depth on its own before you try SrcDemo2. Otherwise that's twice the learning curve and twice the possible pitfalls you will run into.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 1Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #157
    July 2010
    5,171 Posts
    Yes. SrcDemo2 takes a little bit more work to get running, but the end result is absolutely phenomenal. It will blow away anyone who watches your video. No lie.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

38. Post #158
    July 2010
    5,171 Posts
    So I tried running SrcDemo2 with the DOTA 2 replay system this morning.
    Unfortunately, the L4D2 rate commands still don't work. I think this is because, unlike the Source demo system, the replay system is still connected to a server. DOTA 2 has two players - demo and replay, with replay being much more advanced and user friendly. However, when using replay, it was the camera that lagged and not the models, so there is obviously a difference between the two systems.

I'll try with a demo later but don't keep your hopes up :c.

39. Post #159
    January 2010
    121 Posts
    Not a formal update, but the version control system has been changed to Git. The main repository is still on Google Code. It is available here.

Additionally, there is now a GitHub clone and a Bitbucket clone as well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

40. Post #160
    So I tried running SrcDemo2 with the DOTA 2 replay system this morning.
    Unfortunately, the L4D2 rate commands still don't work. I think this is because, unlike the Source demo system, the replay system is still connected to a server. DOTA 2 has two players - demo and replay, with replay being much more advanced and user friendly. However, when using replay, it was the camera that lagged and not the models, so there is obviously a difference between the two systems.

I'll try with a demo later but don't keep your hopes up :c.
    Sorry for being late (I just noticed thanks to WindPower's bump)
    What I know from Replay is that its a seperate system and probably has its own commands.

I know that sourceTV (the thing replay's evolved from) had commands such as
    tv_snapshotrate
    tv_maxrate
    tv_transmitall

and other commands, so the replay system may have similar effecting commands.
    https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SourceTV
    http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Replay
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Informative Informative x 3 (list)