1. Post #2481
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    19,008 Posts
    I'd have to make it either a really large map, or set up a complex system of teleporters and triggers, and even then it would be hard making it count how many times you've gone down, so that you can get back up again. I'll probably be able to cheat it for the exploration log, by filming the same section of stairwell again and again.
    Well it isn't really that clear if 0-87 is unending or just a really, really long flight of stairs. If it becomes too much trouble to make it infinite, just make it the next best thing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2482
    November 2011
    701 Posts
    Something I just thought of SCP-087 related, is why don't they just get a couple hundred D-class to stand on each landing with lights all the way down? Unless the light limit is actually affecting multiple lights so there can only be one 75 Watt light source.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

3. Post #2483
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    19,008 Posts
    Something I just thought of SCP-087 related, is why don't they just get a couple hundred D-class to stand on each landing with lights all the way down? Unless the light limit is actually affecting multiple lights so there can only be one 75 Watt light source.
    Solution: have all the D-Class hold hands, with a large glowstick snaking over their arms. Have a few agents on each landing to make sure they don't try and rape and/or murder each other.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

4. Post #2484
    August 2009
    4,246 Posts
    Guess which dark, staircase based-SCP I'm making in the Source engine? Yes, it's SCP-087

With accurate features including intense black fog, distant sounds of a crying child, ███ flights of stairs, a disemodied face, and of course [DATA REDACTED]. I might even make a video of one of the exploration logs using it.
    OH FUCK THE FACE POPPED UP
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11Informative Informative x 2 (list)

5. Post #2485
    Secure, Contain, Protect.
    October 2008
    7,972 Posts
    Oh God
    trying to write an SCP using a phone keyboard
    no muy bueno
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

6. Post #2486
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    5,856 Posts
    I could do, but the main problem is that there isn't any flashlight button in P2, so you wouldn't be able to see anything.    until the face pops out at you   
    You could make flare boxes all the way down. Open em up and grab a flare, move down a few flights and find another by the time a flare burns out. have them regenerate inside the flare box.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

7. Post #2487
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    8,998 Posts
    OH FUCK THE FACE POPPED UP
    I'm too scared to look at it for long, is it big or small?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Professional x64 United States Show Events

8. Post #2488
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    4,191 Posts
    I'm too scared to look at it for long, is it big or small?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

9. Post #2489
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    6,567 Posts
    I would totally shit my pants if i saw this thing in real life.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

10. Post #2490
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    2,442 Posts
    I actually mad an SCP-087 map myself a while back (ignore the horrible .jpg rape by imgur):

First steps:

Handheld flashlight/flare that can only shine for a short distance to "simulate" that fog:

After I saw the talk about world portals I changed the engine to the Portal 2 version so that I could add those world portals.

The map loops down at the bottom, and those world portals do not allow light to pass through, which makes it look rather bad:

But in fullbright it's seamless :

(that first step down is on the other side of the portal, it's actually quite fun to walk forever because it's a really odd feeling of helplessness)

Once you pass the threshold of the upper world portal when going down you're basically stuck in that loop. Though I could add trigger logic so that after X amount of flights of stairs upwards the world portals disable so that you can continue up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

11. Post #2491
    October 2008
    7,972 Posts
    I actually mad an SCP-087 map myself a while back (ignore the horrible .jpg rape by imgur):

First steps:

Handheld flashlight/flare that can only shine for a short distance to "simulate" that fog:

After I saw the talk about world portals I changed the engine to the Portal 2 version so that I could add those world portals.

The map loops down at the bottom, and those world portals do not allow light to pass through, which makes it look rather bad:

(that first step down is on the other side of the portal, it's actually quite fun to walk forever because it's a really odd feeling of helplessness)

Once you pass the threshold of the upper world portal when going down you're basically stuck in that loop. Though I could add trigger logic so that after X amount of flights of stairs upwards the world portals disable so that you can continue up.
    IIRC the way 087 works is that you're trapped until you see the face, at which point you can progress either way.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

12. Post #2492
    June 2010
    307 Posts
    why not just send like

six super agents with machine guns down there

and a tank

shoot the fucker

or maybe they did that in the 4th log, and they [LOLNOPE]'d it because mindcontrolled all of the super agents and made them kill the guy in charge of the foundation and then he shapeshifted to look like the guy in charge and is now running the foundation and secretly plotting a XK you're all fucked scenario with 682 and and mr fucking deeds where they sacrifice that one girl they rape by putting her in the big blood lake and having her give birth to the satan monster thing while she's drowning in the blood and then they all jump in and satan monster absorbs their power then attacks the facilities and releases all the other SCPs and absorbs their power too but then someone looks at him so he can't move cause he absorbed 174 and then he gets contained and everyone is happy because they can contain all the SCPs in one but they remember the dream guy and the SCP he was talking about that was gonna fuck shit up is the number they give the satan big daddy pappa king one and they're all like "oh fuck" but then they're like "oh right we contained him like 174" but then they're like "OH FUCK" because he absorbed the dream guy and then he goes in their dreams and kills their minds to turn the entire human race into his zombie slave army and then takes over the universe and because he can cause 001 is god and that means he can do whatever the fuck he wants so he destroys the universe and all existence and then a skeleton pops out

we'll never know
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 16Winner Winner x 1 (list)

13. Post #2493
    October 2008
    7,972 Posts
    i think my brain just sort of switched off its language comprehension portion when i got to the second line
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

14. Post #2494
    November 2009
    2,038 Posts
    why not just send like

and a tank

shoot the fucker

mumble mumble montauk mumble mumble satan bloodlakes

we'll never know
    I agree wholeheartedly!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 8 (list)

15. Post #2495
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    2,442 Posts
    IIRC the way 087 works is that you're trapped until you see the face, at which point you can progress either way.
    But is there ever any indication of that? In all of the logs they continue down until they see the face, and at that point they all go up for the same amount of flights as when they went down.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Sweden Show Events

16. Post #2496
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    3,409 Posts
    Wonder if anyone is making a joke SCP that has relevance to SOPA/PIPA at all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Professional x64 United States Show Events

17. Post #2497
    June 2010
    307 Posts
    ugh it's 2 am and I can't sleep I'm scared I'll roll over and the fucking stairwell thing will be there like in the 3rd log and I'll be like "FUCK IT'S BEEN SLEEPING WITH ME THE WHOLE TIME" and then it will kick me in the dick

help :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 7Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

18. Post #2498
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    2,389 Posts
    Wonder if anyone is making a joke SCP that has relevance to SOPA/PIPA at all.
    The impending escape and rampage of the censoring soap thing.

Edited:

ugh it's 2 am and I can't sleep I'm scared I'll roll over and the fucking stairwell thing will be there like in the 3rd log and I'll be like "FUCK IT'S BEEN SLEEPING WITH ME THE WHOLE TIME" and then it will kick me in the dick

help :(
    Fap. It worked for one facepunch user.

19. Post #2499
    June 2010
    3,836 Posts
    why not just send like

and a tank

shoot the fucker

or maybe they did that in the 4th log, and they [LOLNOPE]'d it because mindcontrolled all of the super agents and made them kill the guy in charge of the foundation and then he shapeshifted to look like the guy in charge and is now running the foundation and secretly plotting a XK you're all fucked scenario with 682 and and mr fucking deeds where they sacrifice that one girl they rape by putting her in the big blood lake and having her give birth to the satan monster thing while she's drowning in the blood and then they all jump in and satan monster absorbs their power then attacks the facilities and releases all the other SCPs and absorbs their power too but then someone looks at him so he can't move cause he absorbed 174 and then he gets contained and everyone is happy because they can contain all the SCPs in one but they remember the dream guy and the SCP he was talking about that was gonna fuck shit up is the number they give the satan big daddy pappa king one and they're all like "oh fuck" but then they're like "oh right we contained him like 174" but then they're like "OH FUCK" because he absorbed the dream guy and then he goes in their dreams and kills their minds to turn the entire human race into his zombie slave army and then takes over the universe and because he can cause 001 is god and that means he can do whatever the fuck he wants so he destroys the universe and all existence and then a skeleton pops out

we'll never know
    F- see me after class
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 4Funny Funny x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

20. Post #2500
    September 2011
    689 Posts

First steps:

Could you put a light source at the top of the portal in the same relative position as on the bottom?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

21. Post #2501
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    2,442 Posts
    Could you put a light source at the top of the portal in the same relative position as on the bottom?
    Of course, that's the only way to solve it. But from what I can tell from the logs it's always dark down there, and to have a light every X flights that looks exactly the same is a major indication of a loop.

22. Post #2502
    September 2011
    689 Posts
    Of course, that's the only way to solve it. But from what I can tell from the logs it's always dark down there, and to have a light every X flights that looks exactly the same is a major indication of a loop.
    Could you set the loop lower down the stairs then, where it is dark. I haven't used hammer in years though, an I was no expert when I did, so you probably know best.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

23. Post #2503
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    2,442 Posts
    Could you set the loop lower down the stairs then, where it is dark. I haven't used hammer in years though, an I was no expert when I did, so you probably know best.
    Yeah, but the player can carry a flashlight, which will tell where the loop is.

Edited:

I thought of something: maybe the flashlight can flicker and fail around the loop? That way it adds to the spookyness and it'll be impossible to detect the loop. But for that to be plausible the distance between the world portals can't be too close to eachother because then the flashlight would fail all the time.

And you know those lights that stick to the wall in the exploration logs, maybe that can hide the loop by serving as that/those light. Perhaps as an indication that someone has been there before.

24. Post #2504
    playdoh
    May 2008
    2,980 Posts
    This: http://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/visionsofabetterworld Needs more attention. It is a fun read.

25. Post #2505
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,768 Posts
    I was thinking of an SPC Idea.

Item #: SCP-XXX

Object Class: Safe

Special Containment Procedures: Must be contained within a soundproof room, All personal must wear Earmuff's at all time while within hearing distance. SCP-XXXX must be situated on a guitar stand.

Description: SCP-XXX is a guitar that weighs approximately 5 kg. Brand of guitar is unknown. Label indicates it was made in [Data Expunged]. Guitar is strung with strings made of Catgut. The guitar is made of a currently unknown wood, the animal the Catgut was made of was on no records.

CP- XXX consistently plays a melody that is used in a traditional Ukrainian lullaby. When humans are exposed to the melody, they have two varying reactions, depending on gender. Females report being overcome with a powerful, unavoidable urge to sleep. To get this effect, a minimum of 30 (thirty) seconds of continuous melody is needed to be listened by the subject. Once the subject falls asleep, they curl into the fetal position, and can not be woken for a period of 7 (seven) days. exposure to the music while the subject is still sleeping, brings back the number of days back to 7 (seven) before they can be woken up again, this effectively "resets" the counter. Subjects report the sleep as "Very Refreshing" and it would be "Great for insomniacs".

Males experience different effects. When lulled to sleep, they are shown as visibly distressed, thrashing, screaming and crying have all been noted. Males are asleep for a minimum of 12 (Twelve) hours, although the number seems to be increasing after each test. After test number 47, a minimum of 13 hours has been reached. Exposing them to the lullaby again does not reset the clock, as in the case of females. Males waking up from the experience have described the experience as "Extremely terrifying". They reported very clear dreams of people being [Data expunged], as well as being [Data Expunged] themselves. They also describe feeling pain relative to what they were experiencing in the dream. An experiment has found that males reported seeing others males that had been lulled to sleep in the dream. What was happening to these males in the dreams was exactly the same as what the male had described, leading to the conclusion that the horrific experiences that the male subjects have endured has been "Added on" to the dreams, creating an ever building symphony of misery.

Interestingly enough males of a Polish or Russian decent have a different experience to males of a non Russian or Polish decent. In experiment subjects 24-B and 45-B, the males were lulled to sleep as normal. Instead of Thrashing and wailing, they sleep soundly, until [Data Expunged]. In both cases, the guitar had to be removed to another room, as the room it was situated in was covered in [Data Expunged]. Cleanup crews were unable to get the mess off the walls. Females of a Polish or Russian decent are unaffected.
    I'm thinking of cleaning this up, making a few changes, and adding it to the site. Good Idea or no?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

26. Post #2506

January 2012
    266 Posts
    They should have Mr Deeds to go down the stairwell with a camera instead of D-class.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #2507
    August 2011
    1,047 Posts
    Send Dr. Gerald down on rollerskates
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 15Winner Winner x 1 (list)

28. Post #2508
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    3,425 Posts
    I just had this idea for the SCP-087 hl2 map:
    There would be several separate staircases which would be connected by the portals.
    One staircase which would include the beginning, the building where SCP-087 is located perhaps having some agents up there. And at the bottom there would be... ... well, the bottom that is described on the original SCP-087.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

29. Post #2509
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    19,008 Posts
    I'm thinking of cleaning this up, making a few changes, and adding it to the site. Good Idea or no?
    Eh, it's been done but it could be interesting. Would you mind if I edited out all the non-SCPish things and cleaned it up a bit?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

30. Post #2510
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    2,442 Posts
    I just had this idea for the SCP-087 hl2 map:
    There would be several separate staircases which would be connected by the portals.
    One staircase which would include the beginning, the building where SCP-087 is located perhaps having some agents up there. And at the bottom there would be... ... well, the bottom that is described on the original SCP-087.
    Doing that would lead to possibly thousands of flights of stairs. I'm not joking, and it's completely possible too (to a certain degree, there is a brush limit). However it would take a very long time to connect them.

I counted the amount of flights in my map, and it's 10. Copying the whole thing and arranging it in a 10x10 square would produce 1000 flights, which isn't exactly a small amount.

31. Post #2511
    Dennab
    January 2009
    1,725 Posts
    Doing that would lead to possibly thousands of flights of stairs. I'm not joking, and it's completely possible too (to a certain degree, there is a brush limit). However it would take a very long time to connect them.

I counted the amount of flights in my map, and it's 10. Copying the whole thing and arranging it in a 10x10 square would produce 1000 flights, which isn't exactly a small amount.
    You mean like this?

With the face appearing randomly in one of the cells.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Poland Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

32. Post #2512
    C:\
    March 2011
    1,749 Posts
    -snip- or not
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

33. Post #2513
    Facepunch armorer
    February 2010
    3,978 Posts
    Idea: put an assault rifle into SCP 914 and set to 'very fine'. Anyone like?

34. Post #2514
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    4,534 Posts
    Idea: put an assault rifle into SCP 914 and set to 'very fine'. Anyone like?
    They've already done that with a Colt Python and the result was a predictable [DATA REDACTED] that had the effects of a strider beam.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Agree Agree x 6Winner Winner x 1 (list)

35. Post #2515
    Facepunch armorer
    February 2010
    3,978 Posts
    And a theory on 0-87: Originally it was 200 meters long. one of two things happened:

1: 0-184 got into it and did its thing.

2: There was a child molester living in the room at the bottom a long time ago. The cries for help are his victim's screams and the face is his.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #2516
    Not that bad of a seed
    January 2011
    11,029 Posts
    And a theory on 0-87: Originally it was 200 meters long. one of two things happened:

1: 0-184 got into it and did its thing.

2: There was a child molester living in the room at the bottom a long time ago. The cries for help are his victim's screams and the face is his.
    Don't you mean and two things happened? SCP-184 wouldn't explain the face or the screams, and a rapist wouldn't explain the size difference. Also
    SCP Foundation posted:
    Initially, SCP-184 only extends the walls out, causing rooms to become much larger without adjusting the height of the room. This expansion continues until the original square footage has been tripled.

37. Post #2517
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,768 Posts
    Eh, it's been done but it could be interesting. Would you mind if I edited out all the non-SCPish things and cleaned it up a bit?
    Link to where its been done, also, go for it. I've read over it and it does need a lot of cleaning up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

38. Post #2518
    Facepunch armorer
    February 2010
    3,978 Posts
    They've already done that with a Colt Python and the result was a predictable [DATA REDACTED] that had the effects of a strider beam.
    An assault rifle would be even awsomer.

Or, why not put the sentient T-55 through?

Edited:

Don't you mean and two things happened? SCP-184 wouldn't explain the face or the screams, and a rapist wouldn't explain the size difference. Also
    If it was the rapist then something supernatural about him could've elongated the stairs. IDK.

39. Post #2519
    [b]MASSIVE HOMOPHOBE[/b]

April 2010
    3,562 Posts
    Guys guys guys, it would be just as easy to make a room and the starting flight with a portal down the bottom that teleports you into another staircase that has portals at the top and bottom for repeating, and using logic entities to make the face appear randomly.

Edited:

Ergo,

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 2Artistic Artistic x 1Agree Agree x 1Late Late x 1 (list)

40. Post #2520
    Extraction Point
    July 2006
    8,219 Posts
    We should put a machine gun in on Fine.
    And a tripod in on Very Fine

Combine the three.

Foundation Striders. Those whacky splinter cell groups are now fucked.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Artistic Artistic x 6Winner Winner x 1 (list)