1. Post #81
    Those phrases I used were quoted as I was making a point (I don't actually think it lasts for a few days or weeks). Do you think that family and friends won't suffer grief or depression either?
    I don't think anyone that says "Its their choice" has actually had any suicide in their lives.

literally anyone I meet that has doesn't say that, ever, and when they do, they never experienced it, ever.

2. Post #82
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    4,415 Posts
    I'd like to point out a few things about depression. Again it might not apply to all people, but at least in my case I came to a point where everything was so terrible I wanted it all to end, and I didn't want to see myself coming out of this, but rather I wanted to just kill myself, mainly because absolutely everything I did during that time felt absolutely like hell.
    Wherever I'd go everything looked bad, everything I'd eat tastes really bad, everything activity I used to enjoy felt wrong, and it's not like things physically tasted or smelled or felt bad, but it was the major feeling I had over absolutely everything.
    For me it was over a certain loss, so I didn't even want life to continue, I didn't want to see myself getting over that loss because that felt horribly wrong to get over something so great that ends abruptly and in an unfair way. So I found myself just sitting in my room sometimes and wishing I'd just die on the spot. That obviously didn't happen, so I found my way one day to a tall bridge, I was really and honestly prepared to end this all, more so because I was drunk so that numbed any fear I might have had, but in the end I was prevented from committing suicide.

Hopefully this will clear up some reoccurring questions here in the fashion of "I don't understand why would people do that"
    I don't think it actively adds to an argument in this debate, so apologies for that.

So to add my opinion here, I don't think it should be illegal to attempt suicide, because say, you failed and then you'd be sentenced for feeling hell. That isn't fair.
    I completely agree with the laws here (And as far as I know in most other countries) that state that it is illegal to convince someone else to commit suicide. (i.e "do it faggot")
    However the obligation to report to the authorities about a suicidal person can seriously backfire, because in that case the person at hand won't share his wish with anyone to begin with

3. Post #83
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    18,125 Posts
    so basically, "Just let them kill themselves"? Doesn't that sound insanely irresponsible and childishly stupid in itself? What are you going to do when you see a guy on a building asking for your help? Say "Oh, your choice" and walk off?

You don't just "Let people kill themselves" just because their depressed, it IS a state of mental instability, just saying "Its their choice" DOES encourage them to kill themselves and it hurts EVERYONE around them. Obviously when you tried killing yourself you didn't even realize that it'll harm everyone around you.
    Because having the opinion that it is their choice at a legal level and helping them at a personal level is impossible? right? Fuck sakes.

If you loved someone, and they were being picked on and wanted to kill themselves, you don't just "let them do it". It seems FP is full of people who are white knights towards other peoples choices and preach "100%, absolute tolerance", to an intolerably idiotic level. Letting someone understand that suicide is just a permanent fix to a very possibly temporary solution and edging them out of a state of mental instability and rehabilitating the issue is probably the best way to go. You guys preach about how the death penalty should be banned because murderers can be rehabilitated, and then you turn around and say "but just let people commit suicide" as if they're unfixable and broke and if they kill themselves then well, OH WELL, IT WAS THEIR CHOICE.

There are some good reasons to kill yourself, then there are smaller reasons that are very easily fixable and you can grow out of. Some reasons are scarring for you and terrible, but if people actually support you, then you should be able to cope with it rather than scarring them for life. Simply saying "Its your choice", like I said, doesn't help anyone.
    Who said I would let them do it? Seriously, this is asinine, arguing that it is their RIGHT to do it, and saying it's full out their choice is not saying "go fucking die" or "i'm not helping you". I'll probably have to repeat this a bunch because your entire argument relies on me saying that and not wanting to help them at a personal level.

I bet the members of FP that said "Its their choice" would shit themselves and try and take a dive if someone they loved was about to jump off a building. you guys are such hypocrites.
    You're funny. Or not, I don't know where you think you're going with this horseshit.

Considering joking about suicide would insult the memories of your dead friend, why? You make it sound as if your just using that for argument-ammo.
    Oh, that's right. We all have to view things the way YOU view them or else it's wrong, wrong, wrong. Honestly, I don't care and it's not insulting to her memory. It might be if she was a different person than she was, but nope. Seriously, the world isn't the same all over the place and we all don't see it the same way as you, that doesn't by default make you right.

People who go through it and get over it know that its a useless option and don't just say "Its their choice". saying "Its your choice" is practically opposing the person from having a choice at all, like they're worthless and alone in the world, and if they saw any pressure AGAINST it, they would normally decide against it. They're in such a state that they feel that its the only way. If you actually tried killing yourself, you'd know that. But no, your a white knight that preaches "its their choice" and says "You've never been depressed and you've never struggled with suicide." when you don't even fucking know me. Don't tell people that they haven't been through something as if you have some hidden knowledge, it makes it look like your just using that to look like you actually went through something.

and honestly, "Multiple failures", obviously, you had to have realized something afterwards, or have been STOPPED. you would've been in the state of hopelessness and loneliness to have even decided that in the first place. Telling someone thats about to kill themselves helps them understand that they aren't alone in the world. I've actually talked two people out of suicide by now, one of them I've even talked out of murder. They wanted to kill themselves because of one person making their life bad, and one wanted to kill that person. They felt alone, hopeless, and depressed all around, like it was the only way. By going "its your choice" they'd have killed themselves, it would be irresponsible, and irrationally stupid to tell them that.
    You're still acting like legally saying "it's YOUR choice, it's YOUR body, it's YOUR decision" is not saying "oh, go die because I'm not going to help you.". Oh, I repeated it again because that's the entire argument you have. I've never once said they shouldn't get help or that people shouldn't be trying to help them, but I am saying, IT'S LEGALLY THEIR FUCKING CHOICE.

Yes, I was stopped by realizing what was going on in my life at the time, my story is complicated and there is no one reason as to why I stopped and moved on. And yes, I did realize how it would affect people around me but I didn't care. I've had to talk to many of my suicidal friends, I've talked them down from it, same as you, and I did tell them "hey, it's your choice, but no one wants this for you but you it seems".

Once again, arguing the legality of suicide is not arguing the practicality of talking someone out of it for fucks sakes

Edited:

another example of FP White knights going "its their body"

Edited:

they could either kill themselves "because its their body" or you could actually stop them and help them

if tons of help doesn't work, then I suppose it could be the only way, if they're truly in inescapable pain, and theres no help, no matter what force and pressure you apply, then maybe.
    So who owns our body then? Our friends? our family?

That is an important issue about this fucking argument and you just sweep it under the rug of emotion and say "whatever, who cares about who "owns" your body". That's not what some of us are talking about.

You can have the opinion of it being a persons choice and STILL try and talk them out of it as a caring person and friend. I'm never going to legally think it's anyone elses choice(but you clearly do) but I'm never going to just let someone die if I can help them.

I doubt most of FP would either.

Edited:

I don't think anyone that says "Its their choice" has actually had any suicide in their lives.

literally anyone I meet that has doesn't say that, ever, and when they do, they never experienced it, ever.
    Bull.Shit.

4. Post #84
    Because having the opinion that it is their choice at a legal level and helping them at a personal level is impossible? right? Fuck sakes.

Who said I would let them do it? Seriously, this is asinine, arguing that it is their RIGHT to do it, and saying it's full out their choice is not saying "go fucking die" or "i'm not helping you". I'll probably have to repeat this a bunch because your entire argument relies on me saying that and not wanting to help them at a personal level.

You're funny. Or not, I don't know where you think you're going with this horseshit.

Oh, that's right. We all have to view things the way YOU view them or else it's wrong, wrong, wrong. Honestly, I don't care and it's not insulting to her memory. It might be if she was a different person than she was, but nope. Seriously, the world isn't the same all over the place and we all don't see it the same way as you, that doesn't by default make you right.

You're still acting like legally saying "it's YOUR choice, it's YOUR body, it's YOUR decision" is not saying "oh, go die because I'm not going to help you.". Oh, I repeated it again because that's the entire argument you have. I've never once said they shouldn't get help or that people shouldn't be trying to help them, but I am saying, IT'S LEGALLY THEIR FUCKING CHOICE.

Yes, I was stopped by realizing what was going on in my life at the time, my story is complicated and there is no one reason as to why I stopped and moved on. And yes, I did realize how it would affect people around me but I didn't care. I've had to talk to many of my suicidal friends, I've talked them down from it, same as you, and I did tell them "hey, it's your choice, but no one wants this for you but you it seems".

Once again, arguing the legality of suicide is not arguing the practicality of talking someone out of it for fucks sakes
    fair enough

people are (seemingly)arguing as if they're so into "Its their choice" that they would just let people decide what to do, which to me sounds entirely an extreme opinion

I've heard people that bully others say "its their choice" before but thats it. Many people around me are very heavy against joking about suicide/murder/etc after all

just a topic I never talk about personally

5. Post #85
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    18,125 Posts
    fair enough

people are (seemingly)arguing as if they're so into "Its their choice" that they would just let people decide what to do, which to me sounds entirely an extreme opinion

I've heard people that bully others say "its their choice" before but thats it. Many people around me are very heavy against joking about suicide/murder/etc after all
    Fair enough, I've never meant it in anyway besides the legality of the issue. I think to just let suicidially depressed people go and do what they want, especially when they're a friend is probably very irresponsible, but at a legal level, I seriously can't hold another opinion of it.

I joke because my own experience with the subject has left me jaded, and rather than hate people for what's happened and what could have happened, I laugh and I joke.

6. Post #86
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    4,415 Posts
    fair enough

just a topic I never talk about personally
    I'd also like to add that I'm against illegalizing suicide, but I'd never ever tell a person "Yeah well, your call buddy", I'd do my best to help him out.
    Are we actually debating the legality of suicide itself, or also of what other people do when they know of someone who wants to end his life?

7. Post #87
    Fair enough, I've never meant it in anyway besides the legality of the issue. I think to just let suicidially depressed people go and do what they want, especially when they're a friend is probably very irresponsible, but at a legal level, I seriously can't hold another opinion of it.

I joke because my own experience with the subject has left me jaded, and rather than hate people for what's happened and what could have happened, I laugh and I joke.
    With me, you talk people out of it, thats the end of it. You don't talk about morals or what is right, whether or not it should be legal or not, just that the person is alive and you can't let them kill themselves.

basically, something I just stay away from. But personally, I think it should be legal, but people should be put into therapy that is paid for my taxes, or something like that as a requirement, get a lot of help from others that have experienced it.

8. Post #88
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    17,111 Posts
    The thing about legality as far as I understand it is that you don't get punished for trying to commit suicide, but you are forced to recieve help, which in my opinion is reasonable.

Edited:

In most developed states it's not illegal to take your life anymore though.

9. Post #89
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    18,125 Posts
    I'd also like to add that I'm against illegalizing suicide, but I'd never ever tell a person "Yeah well, your call buddy", I'd do my best to help him out.
    Are we actually debating the legality of suicide itself, or also of what other people do when they know of someone who wants to end his life?
    I've always been under the impression we were arguing the legality of the issue.

10. Post #90
    The thing about legality as far as I understand it is that you don't get punished for trying to commit suicide, but you are forced to recieve help, which in my opinion is reasonable.
    I personally would want to have help forced upon me and have people force me not to kill myself if I ever tried to (Though I'm so opposed to that idea that I doubt I ever will)

Forcing someone in my opinion is telling them that you care in some way.

I've always been under the impression we were arguing the legality of the issue.
    Its facepunch

talk about the legality of weed and then everyone debates religion

11. Post #91
    "We should allow child labor overseas ...the sweatshop is what is saving the 9 year old worker"
    April 2007
    6,864 Posts
    so basically, "Just let them kill themselves"? Doesn't that sound insanely irresponsible and childishly stupid in itself? What are you going to do when you see a guy on a building asking for your help? Say "Oh, your choice" and walk off?
    No, it is more inhumane to acknowledged human rights.

I'm confused with the guy on a building question because you didn't make it very implicit that he was going to commit suicide. Assuming I knew he was though, I would have no obligation in his affairs so I could continue walking. Or I could try to talking him out of it. Any measure of force would be off the table, and if he choose to jump regardless of my talk, then I must allow it.

You don't just "Let people kill themselves" just because their depressed, it IS a state of mental instability, just saying "Its their choice" DOES encourage them to kill themselves and it hurts EVERYONE around them. Obviously when you tried killing yourself you didn't even realize that it'll harm everyone around you.
    Would you prefer for me to say "it's my choice" or "it's our choice". That wouldn't be factual though, unless you don't believe a person owns their own body.

The second argument you're making equating legalization of an activity with endorsement. It is the same as making the claim that legalization of drugs would encourage drug use. This is done to associate a strong negative with a potential outcome. Regardless of outcome, this is an issue of rights.

The "hurts everyone around them" argument is pretty laughable, not in that suicides don't usually have this affect, but that are so many issues with it. First you must assert that a person has a duty to not hurt everyone around them. Second, you have to apply this logic to far more than just suicide. I'm sure if I decided to become a prostitute that would "hurt everyone around me", yet again, unless I have some obligation (through contract) or I do not have a right to my body, this cannot be true.

If you loved someone, and they were being picked on and wanted to kill themselves, you don't just "let them do it". It seems FP is full of people who are white knights towards other peoples choices and preach "100%, absolute tolerance", to an intolerably idiotic level.
    Of course I'd try to talk them out. Being realistic, I'd go to great lengths to stop them. But I wouldn't ever use force against them.

Letting someone understand that suicide is just a permanent fix to a very possibly temporary solution and edging them out of a state of mental instability and rehabilitating the issue is probably the best way to go. You guys preach about how the death penalty should be banned because murderers can be rehabilitated, and then you turn around and say "but just let people commit suicide" as if they're unfixable and broke and if they kill themselves then well, OH WELL, IT WAS THEIR CHOICE.
    There is no issue with negotiating with people. But there is an issue with force, forcing them to stop, and forcing them to seek help.

Your death penalty comparison makes little sense as the prisoner does not have a choice in the sentence they receive, it couldn't at all be linked to suicide, as the death penalty is force.

There are some good reasons to kill yourself, then there are smaller reasons that are very easily fixable and you can grow out of. Some reasons are scarring for you and terrible, but if people actually support you, then you should be able to cope with it rather than scarring them for life. Simply saying "Its your choice", like I said, doesn't help anyone.
    Who is the judge of what is easily fixable and when it acceptable to kill yourself? I think it is the individual.

People who go through it and get over it know that its a useless option and don't just say "Its their choice". saying "Its your choice" is practically opposing the person from having a choice at all, like they're worthless and alone in the world, and if they saw any pressure AGAINST it, they would normally decide against it. They're in such a state that they feel that its the only way. If you actually tried killing yourself, you'd know that. But no, your a white knight that preaches "its their choice" and says "You've never been depressed and you've never struggled with suicide." when you don't even fucking know me. Don't tell people that they haven't been through something as if you have some hidden knowledge, it makes it look like your just using that to look like you actually went through something.
    Certainly telling someone there are two choices will make them believe there is actually only one choice. Despite the logic involved in developing such a conclusion, this would indicate that saying there is once choice (perhaps just living) is actually saying there are two choices. Nothing else you say in that paragraph is of value as it doesn't focus on the issue but rather on the subject of the response.

and honestly, "Multiple failures", obviously, you had to have realized something afterwards, or have been STOPPED. you would've been in the state of hopelessness and loneliness to have even decided that in the first place. Telling someone thats about to kill themselves helps them understand that they aren't alone in the world. I've actually talked two people out of suicide by now, one of them I've even talked out of murder. They wanted to kill themselves because of one person making their life bad, and one wanted to kill that person. They felt alone, hopeless, and depressed all around, like it was the only way. By going "its your choice" they'd have killed themselves, it would be irresponsible, and irrationally stupid to tell them that.
    Most of this is an appeal to emotion. I don't really understand though, how you negotiate with people who considering suicide doesn't really matter as long as it doesn't involve force. Granted that most people who look for help want to be talked out of it, yes it would make sense not to encourage it. Most of all, pointing out that it is their choice in a negation would be a bit obvious.

http://www.stopasuicide.org/suicide.aspx
    http://www.nmha.org/go/suicide
    http://depts.washington.edu/mhreport/facts_suicide.php

"Studies have shown that over 90% of people who die from suicide have one or more psychiatric disorders at the time of their death. Luckily, there are ways to treat and control these disorders and potentially prevent suicide."

And your telling them "Its their choice". They don't even realize what they are actually DOING. A psychotic disorder is where you can't see consequence, or reason at all.
    And what about the 10% of people who don't? Most people in the thread are talking about rational, non drug or disease induced suicide. Even then, how this strip away someone's ownership of their own body and be able to attribute it to someone else?

I know people that have been through war and a lot worse you know. He had his identity stolen more than once, he can't even leave the country because of that, he lives with crippled legs in a wheel chair with asshole room mates, but does he kill himself? No, thats stupid. Obviously its not an overnight thing to fix, but just killing yourself doesn't fix it at all, not only that, but it scars everyone around that suicide.
    How would this be considered a convincing argument?

12. Post #92
    dubstep
    August 2005
    4,197 Posts
    Being truly in control of your mental state is easy once you know how, and it takes a lot of hard work andsheer effort to attain, which most people aren't willing to give.

I think until you've hit the bottom of the barrel and had a truly bad experience, you don't realise that there's more to life than surface/decoration.

Suicide is a tough call, whilst I'd say that it's their choice at the end of the day, everything CAN get better, and change begins within.

I enjoy helping people with inner issues get back on track with their lives and start attaining mental superiority, so here's 4 words that I guarantee will speak volumes to you, if you realise the absolute 100% truth behind them:-

'This Moment Will Pass'.
    My friend was raped. 3 times, same night. She killed herself a year later. That moment NEVER passed for her.

That's horseshit and insults the memories of my dead friend.
    Actually the thought did pass many, many times, but she was running it in a mental loop so it came back sooner-or-later. You can't honestly believe she was thinking about being raped every second of her life.

She probably should have got professional help from a (good) psychologist.

13. Post #93
    November 2010
    652 Posts

I'm sorry but that's just wrong. Suicide isn't one of those things you have to "experience" to understand why people do it. It's not some sort of secret. It is always their choice to do it - unless they have some sort of mental illness which warps reality for them. Yes, many people suffering depression have committed suicide. Those people chose to kill themselves, too.

Don't misunderstand me. You seem to have experienced it in your life so I'm sorry that you had to, but I still stand by what I've said.

14. Post #94
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    4,291 Posts
    Suicide is the result of an illness. If you want to commit suicide, there is somthing wrong with you.

Would you say that its immoral to restrain someone who is trying to kill themselves just because they sniffed some real bad glue?

The depression which makes you kill yourself is no different from suicide glue, both are abnormal and should be dealt with.

15. Post #95
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    18,125 Posts
    Actually the thought did pass many, many times, but she was running it in a mental loop so it came back sooner-or-later. You can't honestly believe she was thinking about being raped every second of her life.

She probably should have got professional help from a (good) psychologist.
    That costs quite a bit of money in some cases.
    And yes, it was every day. Not every rape victim reacts the same way to it.

16. Post #96
    I'm sorry but that's just wrong. Suicide isn't one of those things you have to "experience" to understand why people do it. It's not some sort of secret. It is always their choice to do it - unless they have some sort of mental illness which warps reality for them. Yes, many people suffering depression have committed suicide. Those people chose to kill themselves, too.

Don't misunderstand me. You seem to have experienced it in your life so I'm sorry that you had to, but I still stand by what I've said.

fair enough

the people I've dealt with had depression warp their reality, making them believe they're alone and completely hopeless, even when helped

I pretty much had to tell a group of people what was going on to stop them, that shit is scary

Edited:

That costs quite a bit of money in some cases.
    And yes, it was every day. Not every rape victim reacts the same way to it.
    we need to spend tax money on programs for the suicidal, let them group together and talk about solutions, make it a big thing

instead of well... wasting it

Edited:

anyone have any better ideas than me though? Legalize it, but require them to go through tax paid programs.

17. Post #97
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,895 Posts
    Suicide should be legal in my opinion as long as the person who wants to take his/her life asks all the people he/she knows permission
    Seriously? Written consent from the parents for suicide? Think realistically frankie.

18. Post #98
    May 2007
    339 Posts
    Sorry for bumping an old thread, but this is something that has been on my mind lately.

Why shouldn't suicide be "legal"?
    This is like saying "You have a right to live, but you have no right not to."
    It makes no sense. Why shouldn't you be allowed to take YOUR own life? The country doesn't own you, neither does your friends or your parents, so why should it be illegal?

Also, what exactly are the consequences of taking your own life? Do you get a debt that is transferred to your next of kin or something like that? If so, that does a lot more harm than good.

19. Post #99
    January 2012
    4 Posts
    Sorry for bumping an old thread, but this is something that has been on my mind lately.

Why shouldn't suicide be "legal"?
    This is like saying "You have a right to live, but you have no right not to."
    It makes no sense. Why shouldn't you be allowed to take YOUR own life? The country doesn't own you, neither does your friends or your parents, so why should it be illegal?

Also, what exactly are the consequences of taking your own life? Do you get a debt that is transferred to your next of kin or something like that? If so, that does a lot more harm than good.
    I think the topic was supposed to be on assisted suicide, i.e. euthenasia or something like that but I think it kind of got derailed. Anyways,

I think assisted suicide should be legal. There are people who really just don't want to live any more and it is not the government's place to deny them their wish. I saw a video one time of a guy who was paralyzed from the neck down and had a stroke or something. So he couldn't read/talk well/move at all. Basically the video was about how he had wanted to kill himself since a year after it happened and his wife wanted to help him to end his agony, but the law would not allow them. Something kind of like this video:
    I don't understand how people here are debating the legality of suicide itself. I strongly doubt anyone who is going to end their own life cares that what they're doing is going to break a law that they won't be around to accept punishment for. I may be misunderstanding what they're debating, though.

20. Post #100
    8==== ===== ===== ===== ===D
    Dennab
    April 2008
    4,831 Posts
    suicide for bullying is a stupid reason nonetheless

literally kids are suicide-happy after getting called a pussy ONCE

21. Post #101
    June 2010
    46 Posts
    I think suicide is for people that are weak. and i dont want to sound like a dick here but its all the trouble and challenges you face in your life and if you overcome it you get a feeling of pride for yourself. Even if you have the worst fucking life ever ( everyone hates you and hopes you die, they make you feel like a peice of shit every single day, no one loves you and your apparently not use for society) taking your own life is like saying they have one and they are right, I am worthless. Bullshit people need to learn how to come back harder and tougher. Allthough the law shouldnt control what you do as long as you dont harm anyone else, but suicide is never worth it.

Oh one more thing If someone has a terminal illness and there's no sign for a cure, i think they can take their life. Because in that case there isnt any sign of hope and its an extremly painful road to death then you can take your life just to end the pain.

22. Post #102
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    17,111 Posts

This is bullshit, you're not looking into it enough. Nobody commits suicide or gets depressed for being called a pussy once.

Edited:

I think suicide is for people that are weak. and i dont want to sound like a dick here but its all the trouble and challenges you face in your life and if you overcome it you get a feeling of pride for yourself. Even if you have the worst fucking life ever ( everyone hates you and hopes you die, they make you feel like a peice of shit every single day, no one loves you and your apparently not use for society) taking your own life is like saying they have one and they are right, I am worthless. Bullshit people need to learn how to come back harder and tougher. Allthough the law shouldnt control what you do as long as you dont harm anyone else, but suicide is never worth it.
    How are these people supposed to learn how to become harder and tougher? It doesn't matter is a person is weak or not, it still takes alot of shit to get someone to commit suicide, shit that nobody deserves.

23. Post #103
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    5,888 Posts
    It's a bit selfish to commit suicide, when you think about the people who cared about the person.

Yet, it's selfish to force a person in therapy and book him/her full of meds / therapy / institution if they feel like they don't want to go on.

Sometimes people do suicide for not so bright reasons, but sometimes life is not dancing on rose pedals.

Edited:

Oh one more thing If someone has a terminal illness and there's no sign for a cure, i think they can take their life. Because in that case there isnt any sign of hope and its an extremly painful road to death then you can take your life just to end the pain.
    Also, you've obviously never encountered much hardship in your life. You don't know how it's like to walk in the shoes of somebody who's emotionally crumbled. It's easy to tell them to suck it up, what the hell would you know? People deal with things in different ways, not everybody is such a "strong" and "tough" person

24. Post #104
    January 2012
    4 Posts

Bullshit.

I don't think it's for people who are weak. If the situation you outline actually happened, which I don't think it ever has/will, then yes, that person has no reason to not commit suicide. Maybe the person is worthless. It's not implying that they're right, however. Even if it was implying that they're right...why would that matter? It's simply not wishing to exist any more. Nothing more, nothing less. I don't think you've ever had any serious mental trauma, and if you have I applaud you for being able to make it through, but some people just can not be happy any more. They will just exist in a perpetual state of depression, which is not enjoyable and the most sensible way out is, sometimes, suicide.

25. Post #105
    March 2010
    903 Posts
    Making it illegal is just stupid. We are humans, not computers following a strict program.

Try to help suicidal people instead.

26. Post #106
    August 2009
    3,883 Posts
    I'm pretty sure we are?

27. Post #107
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2007
    4,333 Posts
    I don't really see how suicide is weak. You'd have to be pretty damn brave to kill yourself.

28. Post #108
    This is -- excuse me -- a DAMN fine cup of coffee.
    August 2008
    8,795 Posts
    Suicide is painless.

29. Post #109
    "We should allow child labor overseas ...the sweatshop is what is saving the 9 year old worker"
    April 2007
    6,864 Posts
    People are getting a bit off topic here. Describing the property of an act does not at all answer whether the act is legitimate or not. An opinion about an act does not have an effect on whether it is moral. Your own personal preference to perform an act also does not affect the act. Whether suicide is a weak or strong act isn't of importance as such a perception does not affect the moral acceptability as it is an issue without a lot of grey.

30. Post #110
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    17,111 Posts
    Making it illegal is just stupid. We are humans, not computers following a strict program.

Keeping people from commiting suicide is a way of helping suicidal people, enforcing the illegality is a way of keeping people from committing suicide. And no, I'm not implying you should put people into jail for trying to commit suicide etc, it's more about giving the government a legal way of forcing suicidal people to get help, which in my opinion, is only good.

31. Post #111
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    5,478 Posts
    If you fail at suicide you clearly don't want to die or you're just not physically capable of suicide(crippled etc.), because honestly, it's not that hard(Other than mentally, in which it might be challenging).

Also this thread is sort of about this subject, http://www.facepunch.com/threads/1126422 .
    Committing suicide is surprisingly easy to screw up.

32. Post #112
    Proudly supporting the JIDF
    Dennab
    July 2010
    22,111 Posts
    There is always a way to help a suicidal person out of their situation. If they commit suicide then something in life has clearly gone wrong for them at some stage that could have been fixed with proper attention.

33. Post #113
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    10,986 Posts
    On one hand I can see how it could be considered selfish to take your own life and leave everyone behind with feelings of mourning, regret, guilt, emptiness, etc. etc. and whatever, and I used to agree that it's a horrible thing to do to people

but then I read this thread

I don't feel the same way anymore
    This, if you want to kill yourself, fine, but just be sure you've thought about the people that mean a lot to you first, how it will affect them.

34. Post #114
    Star Extraordinaire
    May 2011
    4,479 Posts
    Suicide should be legal in my opinion as long as the person who wants to take his/her life asks all the people he/she knows permission
    Why would someone ask their friends and family permission to kill themselves?

35. Post #115
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    487 Posts
    As someone who has witnessed an attempted suicide and stopped it from happening, I still think it's the persons decision. It's a humanly instinct to stop it if you weren't expecting it.

36. Post #116
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    17,111 Posts
    Why would someone ask their friends and family permission to kill themselves?
    This, the suicidal person really doesn't care. Call them selfish, but there is alot of stuff on their mind already so it's very hard to care for others at that point.

37. Post #117
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    3,446 Posts
    On one hand I can see how it could be considered selfish to take your own life and leave everyone behind with feelings of mourning, regret, guilt, emptiness, etc. etc. and whatever, and I used to agree that it's a horrible thing to do to people

but then I read this thread

I don't feel the same way anymore
    This case is not on the usual level of suicide. This one was about someone coping with life long mental scars.

There are again so many cases where someone suffers from clinical depression and attempts suicide due to lacking rational aspects due to their depression, cases where we can't just say: Welp, I guess it's their desicion. And then we let teenager Tommy hang himself because he got rejected by his crush whom was way out of his league.

38. Post #118
    February 2011
    425 Posts
    Suicide is illegal with a good reason. Its a mental condition, the person is unstable, unsuitable to make their own decisions. If you attempt it, but fail you need to be detained. You need to be kept safe for your own well being.

39. Post #119
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    487 Posts
    Suicide is illegal with a good reason. Its a mental condition, the person is unstable, unsuitable to make their own decisions. If you attempt it, but fail you need to be detained. You need to be kept safe for your own well being.
    What about people who don't want to live anymore because their entire body has been crippled due to disease, and they want to move on from this world to wherever death takes you? Are they considered mentally crippled and aught be detained as well?

40. Post #120
    August 2009
    3,883 Posts
    A common saying follows that suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.
    But I think it more often is a solution to a permanent problem. It's sad what life can throw at you, and it's sad that people have to struggle with it when there's no end in sight.