1. Post #1
    Awesome Strike: Source, or AS:S for short is my personal take on tacticool shooters and multiplayer action games in general. It brings together what I feel is the best about each action sub-genre in to one complete multiplayer package. Very fast paced, high skill ceiling, but also easy to pick up and play. It has a variety of unique weapons (you can carry up to 3), skills (you can use one at time), and special moves such as wall running, wall jumping, sprinting, dodging, power sliding, etc. This version is fully working with gmod13.

With GMod's server list pretty much exclusively being clogged by roleplay gamemodes, I've decided to go ahead and release this one to hopefully add some flavor back in to GMod. It was originally coded in about 2009, then merged in to another gamemode before recently being completely rewritten from scratch. The first version was generally laggy and a huge mess. This one is much more polished. Everything is predicted, it uses the animations API and just feels, looks, and plays great now.

RELEASE

SVN
    svn://noxiousnet.com/trunk/public/gmod13/awesomestrike

Workshop (not working for server hosting due to gmod bug, use the SVN)
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=116524163

VIDEOS

These videos are old.

Defusal - de_spirits
    Shows off the defusal game type. I was using the Defender, Awesome Rifle, Seizure Grenade, and Grapple Chain.

Death Tag - fy_skystep
    This one shows you how the gamemode plays in a larger map while in the basic Death Tag game type. Shows off plenty of acrobatics and long-range weapons, especially the Awesome Rifle. The map theme is inspired from a GunZ map and yes you can wall run as well as "butterfly" to climb walls in this. The other videos will show off some of the more tactical skills and weapons, this one is mainly about the Awesome Rifle and acrobatics.

SCREEN SHOTS

You can view a bunch here: http://heavy.noxiousnet.com/img/?b=awesome_strike
    The ones in the subfolders are pretty old.

MAIN FEATURES / GENERAL IDEAS

* Over-the-top version of Counter-Strike: Source and similar games. Ever wish you could kick a person in to an abyss while they're having a seizure? Use the "butterfly" technique from GunZ to climb walls in CS:S maps? Remotely control a bullet to kill people camping around corners? Well even if you didn't, now you can!
    * Physical bullets. They take time to travel, can bounce off of walls, and be deflected back with Force Shield. Some can even be controlled.
    * No boring pre-set classes. Pick your weapons and skills.
    * Tons of generic as well as over-the-top and wacky weapons. Even the basic bullet spitters are made interesting because all bullets are physical and take enough time to travel that you can actively dodge them. Forget flashbangs, have a grenade that gives people seizures or knocks them down and throws them halfway across the map. Boring knife fights are a thing of the past because you can not only throw them but zip around like a lunatic by using dodge cancels.
    * Kung-fu / unarmed melee system. Currently just punching and kicking but damage is based on velocity and I plan to add in more advanced stuff such as different kicks / punches as well as grappling moves.
    * Knock down system. Get hit with too much force and it sends you flying as well as visibly knocking you down. You get back up automatically after hitting the ground.
    * Tons of different skills. Everything from a passive 15 HP bonus, to a skill that lets you reflect bullets, to a skill that lets you mark and recall, to a skill that bends light to turn you almost invisible. An energy meter that regenerates over time is present for active skills.
    * Smart Targeting skill and Smart Rifle weapon ease new players in to the whole physical bullet fiasco. Aim where you would in any other hitscan-based FPS and these will automatically aim where your target will be when the bullet gets there. Opponents can still dodge the bullets, this is just a targetting system.
    * Hit combo counter lets you know just how much ass you're kicking. Even has ranks (5 = Good!, 10 = Great!, etc.).
    * Skill shots. Game will detect when you pull off amazing stuff and award you additional points as well as tell everyone else about it in the death notices area. Bonuses include basic stuff like double kills to more advanced stuff like killing people while running on a wall, sliding, coming out of invisibility, killing someone quickly, killing them while they're in the air, etc.
    * Players are rewarded for kill streaks and win streaks as well as breaking a person's kill streak. Players on a 5 kill or 5 win streak will receive double points. Killing someone on a kill streak gets you bounty points depending on what their streak was.
    * Players are even further awarded for doing well because they receive health restoration from points.
    * Automatic team balancing when teams become uneven, either in actual player numbers or if one team is being steamrolled.
    * Respawning and reviving. Forget watching other people play. We have spectator for that. Don't want to even wait to respawn? Team members can revive you on the spot as well as heal you with the Healing Ray.
    * Weapons must be reloaded but players have infinite ammunition. Grenades and other one-use items work on a cool down system instead of having to get more in equipment zones.
    * Beacons let you know exactly where key objectives are.
    * Real, physical wall running. Even supports moving objects and cylindrical running.
    * Wall jumping and concequently, butterfly climbing. Also you can wall jump off of other players to throw them back if you're skillful enough.
    * Dodging. When strafing just isn't quick enough.
    * Power sliding (like Hitman but if your ass was covered in oil). Not only can you push other players with this, you can push props in to enemies and even blow doors off of their hinges.
    * Weapon and skill selection saved by convars so you don't have to repick things.
    * Works with almost all original and custom CS:S maps. No need to make new ones.
    * Built-in radio lets you play popular Internet radio stations with assorted genres.
    * "Status" hook system that allows new things to be added very quickly and be smoothly predicted on the client(using DT variables on players and something like Player.CallStatusHook("Move", mv)). All special moves, skill effects, etc. use this system so it plays smoothly even with sub-par ping.

GAMETYPES

Hostage Rescue
    Pretty much the same as CS:S but with a few key differences. First of all, hostages are now masochists. They love pain! Hit them as much as you want, you can't kill them. In fact, people on the CT team can pick them up and swing them around as a bashing weapon. Don't have too much fun doing that though, the goal is still to rescue these guys. Players on CT need to pick them up and carry them to a rescue zone. Players on the T side need to stop this at all costs. Hostages must be picked up to be moved, they won't listen to a word you say!

Defusal
    This is entirely different than the CS:S version. All bomb sites have been replaced with capture zones. Capture a bomb site by standing in it for 15 seconds. If you leave then the progress is reset. Your team will win if you hold all bomb sites for 60 seconds.

Capture the Flag
    What team-based game would be complete without it? Press USE on the enemy flag to pick it up. You must then touch your own flag while it is in your base. If a flag is dropped then it returns to base after 30 seconds. You can't manually return your own flag and OF COURSE, flags can be used as weapons.

Death Tag
    This is your basic death match with a twist. The goal is to tag every member of the enemy team. To do this you simply have to kill them once. Once every person on a team is tagged, the other team wins. Don't worry though, as a tagged player you get to see exactly where each and every (not cloaked) enemy is, even through walls.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Lua King x 36Winner x 3Dumb x 3Funny x 2Agree x 1Informative x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    i posted my dick on phw
    August 2006
    67 Posts
    hehhh

it's fun
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    6,531 Posts
    this looks really cool, i'll join the server right now
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    2,541 Posts
    Wow this looks great! I've always wished there was some kind of game that would let you control the bullet of the weapon after it's fired.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Pycские Идиот
    June 2010
    2,529 Posts
    wow you released this, very cool
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    taste the salty dong
    September 2009
    1,822 Posts
    It seems to fit its name
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    100% Homemade
    September 2007
    8,322 Posts
    I swear JetBoom, you're the last coder that can actually code a new gamemode that isn't an RP script and still have people play it. Also, played this a while back and it was fun walljumping off of stuff, will definitely have another go at it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

8. Post #8
    October 2009
    1,647 Posts
    holy shit. This looks too fast paced for me.

really impressive btw. Love the parkour and animations. The sounds are neat too.

9. Post #9
    Oh I also forgot. I'm making environmental weapons. For example, I'm making it so props using the HL2 bicycle model will be able to be ridden around to crash in to people with. Could use some ideas for more of these.

I swear JetBoom, you're the last coder that can actually code a new gamemode that isn't an RP script and still have people play it.
    Yeah well hopefully it isn't too late.

10. Post #10
    May 2006
    5 Posts
    I'd get a team now start playing and practising if you want to be serious about winning that $150 next week.

11. Post #11
    Chill Moderator
    May 2007
    6,302 Posts
    I remember this. Good job - looks great as always.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Casual Bananas
    February 2011
    1,716 Posts
    Seems incredibly fun

13. Post #13
    Fluttershy Enthusiast
    June 2011
    5,346 Posts
    Mind = blown

14. Post #14

August 2007
    513 Posts
    I fucking loved this when I first played it on NoxiousNet. Pretty much probably the best action shooter in the universe

15. Post #15
    October 2009
    5,698 Posts
    i love this

16. Post #16
    Small change to defuse maps. I'm making it so all terrorists have a bomb. If you plant it then everyone loses their bomb until the next round. Should encourage at least one person to plant it and stop people screaming to plant the bomb.

Speaking of which, I'm compiling some defuse mode footage for a second video right now.

17. Post #17
    August 2011
    114 Posts
    i love this
    So do I <3

But nobody ever goes on the server anymore D:

18. Post #18
    it's like.. 3AM on a Monday.

Anyway, we have about 8 confirmed teams for the tournament. It's $150.00 with no entry requirements. Seriously, invite randoms if you have to.

19. Post #19
    Here's the defusal video.

20. Post #20
    Casual Bananas
    February 2011
    1,716 Posts
    This somehow reminds me of GunzOnline

21. Post #21
    Cool Kid
    December 2009
    1,194 Posts
    Really cool event, I won't be able to join sadly.

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    8,939 Posts
    Thanks god someone have released a gamemode with physical bullets
    I was wishing for them to actually be used for a looong time, remember I was deathmatching with my friend using phys_timescale
    Blink sounds pretty awesome too, I loved using the teleport in Modular Combat to confuse my enemies

Edited:

Are those... Those awesome explosion particles?

23. Post #23
    "The superior man understands what is right; the inferior man understands what will sell"
    August 2011
    3,514 Posts
    Was that the fact there are magical elemental weapons, accessories, and the map on the second video was actually from GunZ?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    I was inspired by GunZ for the dodge canceling and wall jumping combo.
    The accessories aren't from the gamemode. Those are a noxiousnet thing.
    The map maker said he was inspired by GunZ but it isn't a direct copy of the Stairs map from GunZ.

Are those... Those awesome explosion particles?
    The one I used for det pack and awesome launcher explosions are actually a PCF I found on garrysmod.org. Anything else is plain old Lua particles.

25. Post #25
    Casual Bananas
    February 2011
    1,716 Posts
    I was inspired by GunZ for the dodge canceling and wall jumping combo.
    The accessories aren't from the gamemode. Those are a noxiousnet thing.
    The map maker said he was inspired by GunZ but it isn't a direct copy of the Stairs map from GunZ.
    I knew it!

26. Post #26
    April 2010
    313 Posts
    Good to know that I'm not the only one that's reminded of GunZ when watching this :P

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    1,904 Posts
    I see that not many people have noticed the cash prize.

28. Post #28
    We Are No Idiots
    March 2010
    4,661 Posts
    I have noticed, I just don't need the money.

I don't have the time either to play the tournament.

29. Post #29
    Casual Bananas
    February 2011
    1,716 Posts
    I see that not many people have noticed the cash prize.
    It doesn't seem like a tournament gamemode to me, as most kills are just based on luck.
    It's amazingly fun though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    1,904 Posts
    It doesn't seem like a tournament gamemode to me, as most kills are just based on luck.
    Please explain this, as you seem to be pulling this information out of your ass with no relevant evidence.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Gibraltar Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    We Are No Idiots
    March 2010
    4,661 Posts
    Please explain this, as you seem to be pulling this information out of your ass with no relevant evidence.
    Have you even played this?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Casual Bananas
    February 2011
    1,716 Posts
    I've played this and I'm just posting that based on my experiences with the gamemode...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    1,904 Posts
    There is nothing luck based in it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Gibraltar Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Pycские Идиот
    June 2010
    2,529 Posts
    the only luck you'll see in this gamemode is if you're playing with me and you survive.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    1,904 Posts
    We had the first few matches already, however the Bracket still hasn't ended and you have time to sign up, as matches will continue over the next few days.

36. Post #36
    Casual Bananas
    February 2011
    1,716 Posts
    There is nothing luck based in it.
    Just have to be joking.. everey shot you make is luck based.
    I'm pretty sure he intended it to be that way.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5 (list)

37. Post #37
    guys i have unique darkrp, k?
    May 2008
    1,358 Posts
    guiz ur rong he made it the way i thnk it is
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    steam://friends/joinchat/103582791429579864

Day 2, we've done 3 matches so far and think we'll get at least 2 today.

I have no idea where you came up with this.

39. Post #39
    Pycские Идиот
    June 2010
    2,529 Posts
    _NewBee is obviously trolling.. lol

40. Post #40
    Conna is finally become inter-national dick. Conna 애미뒤진 씹새끼^^
    December 2008
    1,735 Posts

ITEM SERVER

This is in developement but not set in stone. Give me opinions on what you think. More will be posted about this once I have the system down in concrete.

Basically I wanted to have some way to give the gamemode longevity besides constantly adding new weapons and stuff to it. I will host a central item server. Individual servers query the item server to
    (A) ask for a player's inventory when they join
    (B) generate a new item (once every hour)
    (C) tell the item server a player now owns a generated item

The item server will only generate 1 item per server every hour or so to prevent cheating. Because I know people won't trust me to not just give myself or friends super-god items, the gamemode will have limits on changed stats.

The only thing the item server will trust individual servers on is setting an ownerless item to have an owner. Anything else is done on the item server. Servers can also be black listed or have items generated on that server removed from the database in case they're farming or cheating some how.

OK, so what to the items actually DO?!
    They're being called enhancement chips. Randomly generated for the most part except for "named" chips (think blue and yellow items in Diablo 2). They can have both buffs and debuffs. They are dropped randomly after an objective is completed as long as enough people are playing. First person to pick it up will get it. A SteamID can have up to 25 chips per account. Players can also trade chips with each other. Effects range from altering bullet spread, making bullets go faster or slower, to adding an entirely new effects like "On-hit: leech 10% damage as health" or "on-hit: bullets explode". Chips will be generated so that powerful ones will also have debuffs. You can only use one chip per weapon at a time.

Anyway, ideas and suggestions are welcome.
    Well.... Then how about foriegin servers? Umm... I think that thing wil freeze the server.
    Like loading some db or excuting query to Far SQL server from GMOD.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Korea, Republic of Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)