1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,691 Posts
    I have found overall, that atheists are spending time reading about religion to prepare an arguement against a cause that doesn't quite concern them.

It's fascinating.

Now this video is hilarious, and Thunderfoot is more awesome than the two Westboro extremists but it confuses me...

Opinions?

2. Post #2
    Dennab
    August 2009
    2,730 Posts
    Some religious people are interested in religion and some non religious people are interested, I cant see there being much difference in the percentages of both groups .

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    6,278 Posts
    Some people in say, The UK are more interested in american then some americans. Its just what people find interesting.

4. Post #4
    Who wants to come to the aquarium later and watch me screw with the sharks?
    May 2009
    13,179 Posts
    One might argue that the reason quite a few Atheists dislike religion is they know a lot about its history.

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    5,426 Posts
    Ugh, I can't even watch the video. Makes me want to rage.

Aside from that, I am pretty interested in religion. More-so than the average person, and I'm atheist. Religious history, the philosophical aspects, the science (that debunks it, usually), I love it.

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    8,037 Posts
    I think it's quite hard not to at least get a bit on edge at the thought of all of religions pointless dogmaticism and incessant presuppositions. Metaphysically and morally speaking, religion is just a trap for bad, irrational thought.

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    6,258 Posts
    that woman is a BIATCH, god I want to smash her face in

8. Post #8
    quality poster
    Dennab
    August 2009
    12,242 Posts
    It does concern them.

Religion concerns everyone.

It is a source of prestigious and ill informed political decisions.
    Gays can't get married because the bible says it's wrong.
    Abortion is an evil evil sin, so you better ruin your life and raise the child miserably in a single mother's underfunded home on welfare or else you go to hell you darn sinner.

Entire WARS are started over religion.

It's extremely ignorant to say that "those silly atheists are upset over something that doesn't even affect them", because religion has shaped the entire framework of modern society.
    And as far as atheists being more interested in religion than religious people, how is that a bad thing?
    If anything it's just a sign of how poorly educated religious people are about their own religions.
    You act as if its this pathetic caveat for atheists to actually research and be knowledgeable about a subject just so they can be well informed. The fact that atheists are better educated in religion than the people who think they need to change people's lives through legislation based on a book they don't even fully understand is extremely disheartening.

9. Post #9
    oh my GGGGOOOOD I WANT TO HIT THE WOMAN IN THE MIDDLE WITH A BAT, RIGHT NOW

she seems to just be an aggressive cunt and completely ignores everything the guy says, not only that, but only reads it in a way that fits her needs. She doesn't know crap about the book she follows.

ONTOPIC: From what I've seen atheists generally know a little more, and I've seen studies about that.

10. Post #10
    June 2010
    207 Posts
    In her defense, they are grinding mill. I've never thought of it his way, but that's sort of funny.

11. Post #11
    Gold Member

May 2005
    2,268 Posts
    Religious absolutely does concern me. It's blocking scientific progress and in this country (USA) you have next to no chance of ever getting elected into office if you aren't a christian.

12. Post #12
    Dennab
    May 2010
    1,020 Posts
    It's because most atheists believe that every Christian is a stern, constant Bible reading Christian. This isn't true whatsoever. Most Christians haven't even read the Bible all the way through. They may go to church, but there is a big difference. So when atheists get interested in religion, it all of a sudden becomes a history versus science war to prove one or the other wrong. None of it goes anywhere. I believe in God, but I haven't read the Bible and I don't go to Church. I may not follow every single belief that some Christians do. But that doesn't not make me a Christian, does it?

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,691 Posts
    I believe in God, but I haven't read the Bible and I don't go to Church.
    Then you're a lukewarm Christian and are wasting your time calling yourself one. I believe in God in a metaphorical sense, but I don't call my self "Anti-Deistical Atheistagnostic".. I'm simply a thinker.

What is your purpose of calling yourself something that you have no interest in being?

14. Post #14
    Gold Member

May 2005
    2,268 Posts
    It's because most atheists believe that every Christian is a stern, constant Bible reading Christian. This isn't true whatsoever. Most Christians haven't even read the Bible all the way through. They may go to church, but there is a big difference. So when atheists get interested in religion, it all of a sudden becomes a history versus science war to prove one or the other wrong. None of it goes anywhere. I believe in God, but I haven't read the Bible and I don't go to Church. I may not follow every single belief that some Christians do. But that doesn't not make me a Christian, does it?
    Date of Birth January 5, 1980 (31)

I somehow doubt this is true. Please tell me that you're 12 or something..

Why are you dedicating your life to something you don't even know about? You are the complete embodiment of ignorance.

15. Post #15
    I'M A MASSIVE FAGGOT AND LOVE COCKS
    June 2007
    4,991 Posts
    I love christian mythology, purely on a literary level, not the 'believe' thing, i think we should all be past that.

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    15,047 Posts
    This is most definitely true, I've had more atheists preach to me than I even have to them.

17. Post #17
    I'LL NEVER STOP
    July 2008
    2,618 Posts
    I think being an athiest has what I shall coin "The weed effect". People like to go around flaunting it about, perhaps they should not make atheism the center-point of their lives like Dawkins or David Hume did by taking it a step further and actively try to disprove God all the time.

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    648 Posts
    Religion is an interesting topic, whether you believe in any religion or not. I research it because it interests me, not because I believe in any of it. Plus, the topic does concern atheists too. Especially in a country like America where religion is a large aspect in life and engrained into many things. Just look at the current Republican presidential candidates.

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,691 Posts
    If you guys can stomach it... here's the full 19 minute interview from the OP.

20. Post #20
    January 2011
    570 Posts
    Had a religious debate with a friend today who is devoutly christian.

I put forward a few opinions backed up with evidence and he resorted to yelling at me, causing everyone in the room to be quiet and look at him, and yelling at me how I was rephrasing the same thing like a 2 year old whilst he was tantruming in the middle of the common room.

I haven't seen a religious debate where the religious person hasn't resorted to shouting over the other person.

I basically said that, by his own logic that Jesus Christ forgives anyone, a devout christian is absolved of any responsibility for their actions. He was blapshemous multiple times whilst I was talking to him, each time I pointed it out, and each time he said he'd pray for forgiveness later, which I pointed out as evidence against him having responsibility for his actions.

Anyway, like I said, by the end of our discussion he was yelling at me and causing a huge ruckus.

21. Post #21
    fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart
    November 2007
    7,790 Posts
    facepunch

atheists

lmao

(User was banned for this post ("This doesn't contribute to the debate." - rilez))

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,691 Posts
    I haven't seen a religious debate where the religious person hasn't resorted to shouting over the other person.
    Religious discussions are only interesting if both people can relate to each other and enjoy each other's open mind.

There is no such thing as a Religious Debate... it's always an arguement.

23. Post #23
    January 2011
    570 Posts
    Religious discussions are only interesting if both people can relate to each other and enjoy each other's open mind.

There is no such thing as a Religious Debate... it's always an arguement.

No, but what I mean is that whenever i've seen a discussion about religion between a devout christian and a devout atheist, it gets to the point where the atheist is re-iterating points and the christian is avoiding the question and shouting at the atheist. I'm sure there are plenty of debates where people put forward rational opinions on either side of the argument, and it'd be ignorant to generalize, but that's just in my own experience.

24. Post #24
    Dennab
    May 2010
    1,020 Posts

Why are you dedicating your life to something you don't even know about? You are the complete embodiment of ignorance.
    I'm actually fifteen and I put 1980 because I didn't know if Facepunch has some sort of "must be fourteen years or older" rule. Two answer your second question, I do not dedicate my life to Christianity. Is it that hard to understand?

25. Post #25
    rogasm
    May 2010
    4,777 Posts
    No, but what I mean is that whenever i've seen a discussion about religion between a devout christian and a devout atheist, it gets to the point where the atheist is re-iterating points and the christian is avoiding the question and shouting at the atheist. I'm sure there are plenty of debates where people put forward rational opinions on either side of the argument, and it'd be ignorant to generalize, but that's just in my own experience.
    Read that all in Garrus' voice.

I've seen this happen before. Theists get angry and their argument loses all cohesion because of the atheist, but atheists who try to form arguments to use against theists are borderline antitheist.

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,691 Posts
    I'm sure there are plenty of debates where people put forward rational opinions on either side of the argument
    You're saying it's ignorant to think that it doesn't happen.. but it's a truth.

Discussions on the other hand... are enjoyable. You're talking about "debating", which is impossible when one person follows a path and the other hasn't.

What could possibly be debated here?

Give me a point that you made to start the debate with your friend.

27. Post #27
    Dennab
    May 2010
    1,020 Posts

I've seen this happen before. Theists get angry and their argument loses all cohesion because of the atheist, but atheists who try to form arguments to use against theists are borderline antitheist.
    I haven't yelled at anyone over my religion. It seems to be most people do, however.

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,691 Posts
    I haven't yelled at anyone over my religion. It seems to be most people do, however.
    Yeah, but you admitted you have little interest in religion (yet you're a Christian) so you wouldn't have much to say in a belief discussion.

29. Post #29
    Hello, my name is Penis. Please refer to me as such. I'm totally cool with it.
    November 2009
    4,699 Posts
    Last debate thread I saw most debate was blocked because it's evidently impossible to debate about the existence of a God.

30. Post #30
    January 2011
    570 Posts

Discussions on the other hand... are enjoyable. You're talking about "debating", which is impossible when one person follows a path and the other hasn't.

Okay, I pointed out that there were logical contradictions in the bible such as:

". . . God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man."
    (James:1:13)
    "And it came to pass after these things, that God did tempt Abraham."
    (Genesis 22:1)
    ". . . for I am merciful, saith the Lord, and I will not keep anger forever."
    (Jeremiah 3:12)
    "Ye have kindled a fire in mine anger, which shall burn forever. Thus saith the Lord."
    (Jeremiah 17:4)
    "If I bear witness of myself, my witness is not true."
    (John 5:31, J.C. speaking)
    "I am one that bear witness of myself . . ."
    (John 8:18, J.C. speaking)
    "I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved."
    (Genesis 32:30)
    "No man hath seen God at any time."
    (John 1:18)
    "And I [God] will take away mine hand, and thou shalt see my back parts . . ."
    (Exodus 33:23)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,691 Posts
    Okay, I pointed out that there were logical contradictions in the bible such as:
    Not interested in quotes, anything else?

Edited:

also, this is a guess but I think some of them have to be taken in context with the other text around it.

32. Post #32
    January 2011
    570 Posts
    Not interested in quotes, anything else?
    I pointed out that Christianity discourages responsibility and functions on blackmail and bribery; do these things to enter heaven, don't do these things or you'll enter hell, but as long as you are truly sorry before you die, you are forgiven, which means you will not be held accountable for what you've done, no matter how horribly you treated people in your life.

Not to mention it's conveniently set up to control poor people; "Being poor is okay, because as long as you are a good person and do everything that the church tells you to do, you will get a really good life when you die, so just don't rebel against the church and allow your life to be made shit by the ruling classes."

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    15,047 Posts

I've had atheists get angry at me without me even mentioning religion, they'll just purposefully bring it up to attack me.

34. Post #34
    Dennab
    July 2009
    7,284 Posts
    fuck religion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

(User was banned for this post ("This doesn't contribute to the debate." - rilez))

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    648 Posts
    Let's try to avoid broad generalisation, this isn't true of all atheists just as all Christians aren't all douchebags.

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    8,037 Posts

Honestly what does that add to the debate? Ad hom attacks like that are incredibly immature and it tells a lot more about you than anyone else.

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,691 Posts
    I pointed out that Christianity discourages responsibility and functions on blackmail and bribery; do these things to enter heaven, don't do these things or you'll enter hell, but as long as you are truly sorry before you die, you are forgiven, which means you will not be held accountable for what you've done, no matter how horribly you treated people in your life.

Not to mention it's conveniently set up to control poor people; "Being poor is okay, because as long as you are a good person and do everything that the church tells you to do, you will get a really good life when you die, so just don't rebel against the church and allow your life to be made shit by the ruling classes."
    So, you basically started talking to your friend and telling him how bad he is for following a harmless path that he enjoys.

Good friend you are.

How about, try relating to how he feels happy with his path and gain insight on why he feels the way he does. What made you feel it was right to preach him about his own path without being there with him?

No sense is made.

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    3,810 Posts
    I'd say he's probably right. Some people are "born and bred" religious and consider themselves religious but never go to church and fap daily anyway.

39. Post #39
    September 2010
    1,453 Posts
    Having been brought up a Catholic and still believing in it, I can say that a lot of athiests do not have a big enough understanding to properly criticise certain religions in depth. Particularly on this forum.

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    8,037 Posts

I've had very many debates on religion, and afterwards I often feel more educated and fulfilled as a direct result of them.