1. Post #1
    February 2011
    166 Posts

This thread is for all the people on FP that still use XP for whatever reason. I recently downgraded from Windows 7 because my computer just insists on shitting the bed all the time when I run Windows 7. I just like XP more and nothing can convince me otherwise.

For those of you who don't know, Windows XP came out in 2001 and is in my opinion the best Windows OS yet. From my experience it is extremely stable and is a great OS for working and playing.

OWS: (Obligatory Wikipedia Shit)

Windows XP is an operating system produced by Microsoft for use on personal computers, including home and business desktops, laptops and media centers. First released to computer manufacturers on August 24, 2001,[2] it is the most popular version of Windows, based on installed user base.[3] The name "XP" is short for "eXPerience."[4]

Windows XP, the successor to Windows 2000 and Windows Me, was the first consumer-oriented operating system produced by Microsoft to be built on the Windows NT kernel. Windows XP was released for retail sale on October 25, 2001, and over 400 million copies were in use in January 2006.[5] Direct OEM and retail sales of Windows XP ceased on June 30, 2008. Microsoft continued to sell Windows XP through their System Builders (smaller OEMs who sell assembled computers) program until January 31, 2009.[6][7]

The most common editions of the operating system were Windows XP Home Edition, which was targeted at home users, and Windows XP Professional, which offered additional features such as support for Windows Server domains and two physical processors, and was targeted at power users, business and enterprise clients. Windows XP Media Center Edition has additional multimedia features enhancing the ability to record and watch TV shows, view DVD movies, and listen to music. Windows XP Tablet PC Edition was designed to run stylus applications built using the Tablet PC platform.

Windows XP was eventually released for two additional architectures, Windows XP 64-bit Edition for IA-64 (Itanium) processors and Windows XP Professional x64 Edition for x86-64. There is also Windows XP Embedded, a component version of the Windows XP Professional, and editions for specific markets such as Windows XP Starter Edition. By mid-2009, a manufacturer revealed the first Windows XP powered cellular telephone.[8]

The NT-based versions of Windows, which are programmed in C, C++, and assembly,[9] are known for their improved stability and efficiency over the 9x versions of Microsoft Windows.[10][11] Windows XP presented a significantly redesigned graphical user interface, a change Microsoft promoted as more user-friendly than previous versions of Windows. A new software management facility called Side-by-Side Assembly was introduced to ameliorate the "DLL hell" that plagues 9x versions of Windows.[12][13] It is also the first version of Windows to use product activation to combat illegal copying. Windows XP was criticized by some users for security vulnerabilities, tight integration of applications such as Internet Explorer 6 and Windows Media Player, and for aspects of its default user interface.[citation needed] Service Pack 2, Service Pack 3, and Internet Explorer 8 addressed some of these concerns.

Please, discuss Windows XP. Who uses it? I do.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Dumb x 109Friendly x 10Funny x 7Winner x 6Agree x 3Informative x 1Late x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    I only use XP as a backup Operating System to Windows 7. When a program won't run with 7, or 7 just takes a shit on me, XP is there as a backup to fix 7
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13Dumb Dumb x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,792 Posts
    I only use XP as a backup Operating System to Windows 7. When a program won't run with 7, or 7 just takes a shit on me, XP is there as a backup to fix 7
    That's what WinRE is for.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 8Agree Agree x 8 (list)

4. Post #4
    That's what WinRE is for.
    Not when I upgraded from XP and have it all customized out, I still do like that XP feel, but I prefer 7 for the main operating system
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,485 Posts
    Stop using XP.

I don't care if it's "more stable" (a complete falsehood in my experience, I've had way, way more crashes/bluescreens on XP than Windows 7, which has crashed a grand total of 0 times in over two years. Same with Vista.). The only other "real" argument is that certain older software doesn't work in 7, but I've never actually seen anyone name any software, and this has never been a problem for me. If Microsoft can do anything, it's keeping their OS's backwards compatible.

I honestly can't find a single reason to use XP, it's dated, ugly, doesn't support new software and is generally holding back progress. Not to mention the fact that it doesn't support recent versions of DirectX and such.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 139Disagree Disagree x 12Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

6. Post #6
    Dennab
    July 2009
    7,650 Posts
    There is no reason to use XP anymore.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 107Disagree Disagree x 18Winner Winner x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    1,143 Posts
    There is no reason do not use XP anymore.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Latvia Show Events Funny x 32Late x 8Dumb x 7Agree x 2Artistic x 1Informative x 1Zing x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    February 2011
    166 Posts
    7 doesn't really bring anything new to the table.

Edited:

Oh I just thought of another reason I don't like 7.

I find that the windows explorer libraries thing is sketchy. It just seems more complicated than it needs to be.

With XP, you have 1 thing that you can click called My Documents where you easily store all of your folders like My Pictures, My Videos and any folders you'd like to make. It's a very easy system.

Now, with windows 7 you have these things called libraries, so it's like one of those XP file organizing system inside of another file organizing system which makes no sense to me.

It has this sidebar thing that just makes no sense to me. The pictures don't really say much in this case but using the Windows 7 explorer just fucked with my head. Maybe there is something I'm not getting.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Dumb x 120Agree x 14Funny x 3Winner x 2Disagree x 1Informative x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    1,106 Posts

Edited:

I find that the windows explorer libraries thing is sketchy. It just seems more complicated than it needs to be.

With XP, you have 1 thing that you can click called My Documents where you easily store all of your folders like My Pictures, My Videos and any folders you'd like to make. It's a very easy system.

Now, with windows 7 you have these things called libraries, so it's like one of those XP file organizing system inside of another file organizing system which makes no sense to me.

It has this sidebar thing that just makes no sense to me. The pictures don't really say much in this case but using the Windows 7 explorer just fucked with my head. Maybe there is something I'm not getting.
    What did you do to your OS.

My windows 7 file browser looks nothing like that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 90Dumb Dumb x 2Disagree Disagree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    February 2011
    166 Posts

That's not my 7. I just found that image but mine looked a lot like that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 59Funny Funny x 4 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    454 Posts
    Forget Windows XP, Windows 98 is where its at!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree x 38Funny x 15Winner x 10Zing x 5Disagree x 2Dumb x 1Late x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    February 2011
    166 Posts
    Forget Windows XP, Windows 98 is where its at!
    3.1 is superior
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Winner x 40Agree x 8Funny x 3Dumb x 2Useful x 2Zing x 2Artistic x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    How is the new explorer complicated at all unless you're inept altogether?

Libraries are just "folders" (though not really, not sure how to describe them) that grab content from other locations.

Now what if I want to have music from my E: internal drive show up in my Music library? Don't copy all that shit with ancient XP, just add it here:

Similar thing with Pictures

It's really not a hard concept to understand at all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree x 51Optimistic x 4Winner x 2Informative x 2Funny x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Dennab
    July 2009
    7,650 Posts
    Not only is it much easier to use once you get used to it all, it looks 10000000x better than Xp.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 30Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    5,577 Posts
    Windows XP is still a great choice for Low end PCs, Even Windows Thin isn't fast as XP, and it uses twice as much ram as XP in a clean install
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Dumb Dumb x 25Disagree Disagree x 4Agree Agree x 4 (list)

16. Post #16
    Not only is it much easier to use once you get used to it all, it looks 10000000x better than Xp.
    Looks don't really matter between XP and 7 in my opinion. I'm bordering on upgrading, but when I do it'll probably be with a new computer.
    I'm just used to the XP layout.

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,792 Posts

That's an alpha build of Windows 7.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 18Agree Agree x 10Funny Funny x 2 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    712 Posts

Edited:

How did you manage to get confused by Libraries? By default they are set up exactly the same as the My Documents folder. I'm beginning to doubt that you've actually used Windows 7.
    Also by saying Windows 7 brought nothing new to the table, it makes me believe you even less.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 38 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    1,332 Posts
    There really isn't a valid reason for using XP anymore. When Vista came out a lot of people still loved XP, which was okay, but now Windows 7 has been out for quite a while and Windows 8 won't be too far away. It's just outdated, it's ten years old.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 17 (list)

20. Post #20
    Bus Driver
    December 2009
    7,924 Posts
    There really isn't a valid reason for using XP anymore. When Vista came out a lot of people still loved XP, which was okay, but now Windows 7 has been out for quite a while and Windows 8 won't be too far away. It's just outdated, it's ten years old.
    I have ONE legit use for Windows XP. For some reason, my Sony Handicam from around 2005 (and uses Firewire), refuses to work under 7. You can control the tape and such, but you have no audio and video.

In Windows XP, its just like "no problem" and the camera works flawlessly. I'm not going to exactly fault Windows 7 for that, since it is an old camera, and the Firewire card is even older from like, 2000. But hey, whatever works. Just dual-boot and call it a day.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3Agree Agree x 2 (list)

21. Post #21
    September 2011
    957 Posts
    I only keep XP around for my systems that have 256MB~512MB of RAM and under. Windows 7 just about shits itself trying to boot on a PC with 256MB of PC100 RAM, and an Athlon XP 3200+. It runs just fine with XP installed on it.

For my other machines with 768MB+ of RAM, Windows 7 is where it's at. (Since 7 came out, I tossed my Vista disc out). I base my Windows installs on hardware requirements and specific system needs, not OS fanboy-isms and Facepunch's approval.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Winner Winner x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    3,891 Posts
    I am going to install Windows XP again for compatibility purposes, I will still use Windows 7 as my main OS though.
    I heard XP had problems with AHCI, is this true, and if so, is there any way to fix it?

As I have a SSD switching to another OS is not a problem for me as it's very fast, so I'd rather quickly switch over to XP when an older game does not work rather than looking up some half-assed fix that only works sometimes.

Edited:

Seems like illiterate idiots who bash XP no matter what found this post.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Bus Driver
    December 2009
    7,924 Posts
    I am going to install Windows XP again for compatibility purposes, I will still use Windows 7 as my main OS though.
    I heard XP had problems with AHCI, is this true, and if so, is there any way to fix it?

As I have a SSD switching to another OS is not a problem for me as it's very fast, so I'd rather quickly switch over to XP when an older game does not work rather than looking up some half-assed fix that only works sometimes.
    You just need to make sure you slipstream the SATA drivers into the install disk. Otherwise, it won't even see your hard drive.

24. Post #24
    Dennab
    November 2010
    4,519 Posts
    I still use XP on my server, deal with it.
    Nah, I will be stuffing Debian on it asap.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United Kingdom Show Events Zing Zing x 5Winner Winner x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    I do it all
    November 2010
    13,560 Posts
    My old laptop runs XP because that's what it supports, it's basically a netbook to me. All it has is google chrome, MSN and skype. Nothing more, nothing less.

26. Post #26
    October 2008
    812 Posts
    I am using Windows XP mainly because Windows 7 is real fucking expensive and there's not really any feature in Windows 7 that I really need.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Poland Show Events Dumb x 31Agree x 7Disagree x 1Winner x 1Friendly x 1Useful x 1Funny x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    September 2011
    957 Posts
    I am using Windows XP mainly because Windows 7 is real fucking expensive and there's not really any feature in Windows 7 that I really need.
    ITT: Windows 7 is $30 for students, so it's "Really expensive". :derp:

Here, I'll even help you out, cheap-ass: http://www.microsoft.com/student/en/...s/default.aspx
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Winner Winner x 10Dumb Dumb x 5Funny Funny x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    25,841 Posts
    I can vouch that the "student upgrade" works for a clean install.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Funny Funny x 2Informative Informative x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Dennab
    November 2010
    4,519 Posts
    Windows 7 is too mainstream, windows 8 is where it's at.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 27Artistic Artistic x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    February 2011
    166 Posts
    windows 7 looks fucking horrendous to me. I don't like shiny and transparent
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Funny x 21Agree x 7Disagree x 4Zing x 2Dumb x 1Informative x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,792 Posts
    windows 7 looks fucking horrendous to me. I don't like shiny and transparent
    Much better than PlaySkool.msstyles

Also an OS isn't about its UI. It's about its core. What it can do. How efficient it is. Etc.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 14Agree Agree x 4Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    September 2011
    957 Posts
    I liked the Royale themes that later surfaced from Microsoft. Even the glossy Royale theme that came with Media Center XP looked far better than the default Luna theme. The Zune themes are what I use with XP now. Much better in orange and black. ;)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Agree Agree x 14 (list)

33. Post #33
    February 2011
    166 Posts
    Much better than PlaySkool.msstyles

Also an OS isn't about its UI. It's about its core. What it can do. How efficient it is. Etc.
    Yeah, and all Windows 7 offers really is a fancy new taskbar.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Dumb x 62Disagree x 3Agree x 2Funny x 2Useful x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,792 Posts
    Yeah, and all Windows 7 offers really is a fancy new taskbar.
    No it doesn't. That's something someone who has no clue what they're talking about would say.

Here's all the new features from XP to 7:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feature..._Windows_Vista
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Features_new_to_Windows_7

and that doesn't even cover half of the additions. So next time, before you start drawing opinions on something, at least know what you're talking about.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10Zing Zing x 3Informative Informative x 2 (list)

35. Post #35
    May 2009
    6 Posts
    This kind of shit is fucking ridiculous. You would be doing the same thing if you just so happened to be at an age where Windows 95 was current when you were at your prime computer-using time.

You have no good argument that Windows XP is the end-all be-all of operating systems. You just have some sort of primal connection to it based on your having used it for too fucking long.

I fucking hate people.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree x 11Funny x 6Dumb x 3Informative x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Andrew McWatters
    Dennab
    March 2011
    4,658 Posts
    I can prove in cold hard benchmarks that some video games and some general applications run faster (and I suppose subsequently, better,) in XP branches than Vista/7 branches. This bandwagon shit for Vista/7 needs to stop. Vista and 7 use different technologies than XP, which, depending on what you're running, actually make XP-generation OSs far more reliable.

OP is most likely running various applications that run better off in XP.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb x 41Agree x 5Disagree x 3Funny x 2Informative x 1Winner x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    May 2009
    6 Posts
    I can prove in cold hard benchmarks that some video games and some general applications run faster (and I suppose subsequently, better,) in XP branches than Vista/7 branches. This bandwagon shit for Vista/7 needs to stop. Vista and 7 use different technologies than XP which, depending on what you're running, actually make XP-generation OSs far more reliable.

Get back on a horse then.

Edit: I can rate too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 15Dumb Dumb x 4Zing Zing x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,485 Posts
    I can prove in cold hard benchmarks that some video games and some general applications run faster (and I suppose subsequently, better,) in XP branches than Vista/7 branches. This bandwagon shit for Vista/7 needs to stop. Vista and 7 use different technologies than XP, which, depending on what you're running, actually make XP-generation OSs far more reliable.

A few frames per second extra in a game is no excuse for using an ancient OS which at this point is little more than a security risk.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 21 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,792 Posts

The difference in the real world is negligible in the few cases where a program might perform better in XP. To a point where no one could tell a difference if they didn't measure it down to the nanosecond for benchmarks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

40. Post #40
    I am no one's bitch now! AHAHA!
    October 2008
    4,115 Posts
    i am using Windows XP. because i can't afford Windows 7 at the moment..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Dumb x 10Agree x 9Funny x 4Friendly x 2Optimistic x 1Late x 1 (list)