1. Post #361
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    22,442 Posts

This is the single greatest thing about 7.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10Funny Funny x 1 (list)

2. Post #362
    January 2012
    412 Posts

Without a doubt.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

3. Post #363
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    3,949 Posts

I never use those menus, I never remember they exist and going in the app is almost just as fast if the app is well designed anyway.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Show Events Agree Agree x 5Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

4. Post #364
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    2,407 Posts
    The only time I access them is when I forget it's windows and I try drag an icon off the superbar

5. Post #365
    Resident Beat Eater.
    August 2009
    3,968 Posts
    I've always used the Steam menu via the tray mainly because I switch between Vista and 7 a lot.

6. Post #366
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,824 Posts

I believe the explorer shortcuts Ctrl+Shift+Enter (Run as administrator) and Ctrl+Shift+N (New folder) top that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

7. Post #367
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    3,949 Posts
    I believe the explorer shortcuts Ctrl+Shift+Enter (Run as administrator) and Ctrl+Shift+N (New folder) top that.
    You sure have a weird definition of 'the greatest thing about 7' is, considering 99% of the PC-using planet probably doesn't know about either of those shortcuts...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #368
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,824 Posts
    You sure have a weird definition of 'the greatest thing about 7' is, considering 99% of the PC-using planet probably doesn't know about either of those shortcuts...
    It's the little things that count.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

9. Post #369
    Bus Driver
    December 2009
    8,336 Posts

It is great. Except I forget its there. Apparently, as far as I can tell, its the only way to exit Skype. Sort of interesting that you can click and drag up and the fade animation is tied to your cursor position though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #370
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,824 Posts
    Apparently, as far as I can tell, its the only way to exit Skype.
    I can not tell you in words just how fucking annoying this bullshit is. Apparently someone over at Skype for got what the close button on a window is for and what a minimize button is for.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3Agree Agree x 2 (list)

11. Post #371
    Bus Driver
    December 2009
    8,336 Posts
    I can not tell you in words just how fucking annoying this bullshit is. Apparently someone over at Skype for got what the close button on a window is for and what a minimize button is for.
    I'm wondering why they haven't made a "minimize to system tray" feature yet, like 99% of all other communication software does. Windows Messenger had it out of the box in XP 10 years ago and probably goes back farther than that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

12. Post #372
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,824 Posts
    I'm wondering why they haven't made a "minimize to system tray" feature yet. It wouldn't be as annoying if the Skype window didn't have to sit right there in the system tray.
    This worked with WLM if you set its compat to Vista or below, I wonder if Skype'll do the same.

13. Post #373
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    3,949 Posts
    It is great. Except I forget its there. Apparently, as far as I can tell, its the only way to exit Skype.
    You can also right-click the tray icon and quit it that way. Their developers are still major fucking retards, though. Applications that never want to close are annoying.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

14. Post #374
    January 2012
    412 Posts
    Right-click tasktray icon, and click Exit. Is that so difficult? I do it for alot of apps in my tray.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

15. Post #375
    Bus Driver
    December 2009
    8,336 Posts
    You can also right-click the tray icon and quit it that way. Their developers are still major fucking retards, though. Applications that never want to close are annoying.
    Guess I never really thought of it, since it decided to hide itself. Derp.

16. Post #376
    >:C
    January 2011
    335 Posts
    Windows XP also has some major vulnerabilities that will probably never be patched as Microsoft loses interest (no longer retrieves money).

17. Post #377
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,877 Posts
    Windows XP also has some major vulnerabilities that will probably never be patched as Microsoft loses interest (no longer retrieves money).
    And with very good reason, XP is old as fuck, and Microsoft wants people to buy their new OS. Microsft is a company, they need to make money. You don't make any money just patching up the same OS for free for all eternity.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

18. Post #378
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,824 Posts
    Right-click tasktray icon, and click Exit. Is that so difficult? I do it for alot of apps in my tray.
    Every single application that I have installed uses the close button to close. Skype however does not. When I want to close Skype I click the close button because I'm use to it because every single other application I use has the close button close the application. That's why there's a close button there. Skype now has Minimize, Maximize/Restore, Minimize again. It's absolutely moronic and it's bad UX.

If I wanted to minimize to tray/taskbar I'd click the minimize button. That's what it's there for. If I want to close an application I'd click the close button, that's what it's there for. But no, Skype thinks there should be not one but two minimize buttons. One to minimize, and another to minimize.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

19. Post #379
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    3,949 Posts
    You don't make any money just patching up the same OS for free for all eternity.
    I think you underestimate how much money Microsoft makes from doing exactly just that but not for free. The consumer market is different. And of course XP will stop being supported at some point, but it's not 'as they stop caring', but rather in April 2014.

20. Post #380
    I'M A MASSIVE FAGGOT AND LOVE COCKS
    June 2007
    4,991 Posts
    ITT: The year 2005

XP is a great operating system, used it for years on end, rejected windows vista completely.

but oh man Windows 7, haven't looked back since
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Portugal Show Events Agree Agree x 3Winner Winner x 2 (list)

21. Post #381
    January 2012
    412 Posts
    I only touched Vista to upgrade my unstable XP machine until 7 came out. So I had Vista for about a good month and a half, and didn't really enjoy it much.

22. Post #382
    April 2007
    932 Posts
    You can't simply dismiss the fact that others have encountered that XP performs better for their use of system hardware over newer MS OSs, regardless of whether newer MS OSs are better for you. So, why the hate?

23. Post #383
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    1,602 Posts
    You can't simply dismiss the fact that others have encountered that XP performs better for their use of system hardware over newer MS OSs, regardless of whether newer MS OSs are better for you. So, why the hate?
    Only because it was designed for older slower hardware.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

24. Post #384
    Dennab
    September 2011
    1,790 Posts
    3.1 is superior
    Naw man this is where it's at

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

25. Post #385
    April 2007
    932 Posts
    And for some, hardware isn't an option.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #386
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    177 Posts
    Here we go again!!!

If your hardware is slow enough to where you HAVE to run XP, you aren't going to be doing anything crazy, so you have two options...

1) Linux
    2) Windows Thin if you still have some program that only works in windows that WINE can't run correctly (or if you INSIST that you must use Windows still)

Both are up-to-date, still receiving updates, and fast. There are very few reasons to use XP, mainly for legacy support. Even then, just VM it if it is that big of an issue.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #387
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    3,949 Posts
    So it runs lean and mean and uses less resources. What's your point? That he's completely right?

28. Post #388
    December 2011
    1,543 Posts
    Fair enough, if you have older hardware that requires an older OS like Windows XP to run efficiently, use XP, by all means.
    But some people in this thread act as if it would be superior on a newer machine, the list of features that PandaX posted earlier (along with easier file organization, tab organization, multitasking capabilities and more) is far more important to me than the compatibility of some older software and the supposed FPS increase in games (which I suspect is negligible).

29. Post #389
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    177 Posts
    Fair enough, if you have older hardware that requires an older OS like Windows XP to run efficiently, use XP, by all means.
    But some people in this thread act as if it would be superior on a newer machine, the list of features that PandaX posted earlier (along with easier file organization, tab organization, multitasking capabilities and more) is far more important to me than the compatibility of some older software and the supposed FPS increase in games (which I suspect is negligible).
    Thats why (I) suggested to use Windows Thin over XP. It brings everything good about 7 to the table, but is almost as light-weight as XP.

30. Post #390
    Resident Beat Eater.
    August 2009
    3,968 Posts

31. Post #391
    January 2012
    412 Posts
    Thats why (I) suggested to use Windows Thin over XP. It brings everything good about 7 to the table, but is almost as light-weight as XP.
    How well does Windows Thin fare on just 256MB of DDR400? Because my custom nLite version of XP Thin that I customized runs like a champ. I'm curious how they would compare.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

32. Post #392
    November 2010
    47 Posts
    and you know what, there's like 3 features in there that I actually care about.
    So yes, I could totally run XP tomorrow and not miss Windows 7 at all.
    That's totally my case.
    And besides, I hate WinSXS feature in Vista and 7 that eats my free space. I know what it's for, and I know about WinSXS Lite, but that's still a pain in the ass. If I'd have some built-in functionality to control this, I'd be happy. Not anyone can afford another HDD.

I'll probably take a look at Win 8 (since microsoft tells us that it takes less memory and has asynchronous API, which can't be bad for sure), but I certainly won't even try to use it without making light-weight version for myself. And that only in case if it has some really neat features for me.

PS Nope, I'm not using Win 7 now, that's just altered browser's userstring for the sake of conspiracy and shit. That's not even chrome :V
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

33. Post #393
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,824 Posts
    WinSxS is in XP too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

34. Post #394
    November 2010
    47 Posts
    But it's not working "that good" in XP (afaik), therefore people only started complaining about it in Vista and 7. In XP new DLLs are just being written over, when Vista and 7 put them "side by side". The more you install programs - the more duplicates of DLLs you have.

Okay, I don't want to go into another debate here, rate me as you wish.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Russian Federation Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1Informative Informative x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

35. Post #395

April 2011
    9 Posts
    "If you're BSODing you're doing something wrong."
    Exactly. The major 3 causes of a BSOD are:
    1. You have hardware issues, could be anything from overclocked CPU to running a million-billion amount of programs
    2. OS Corruption. This also includes the SYSTEM_LICENSE_ACCESS_VIOLATION Bug Check, for not having a genuine copy of Windows.
    3. Virus, Trojan etc. Not saying this is the top cause, but it is common.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

36. Post #396
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    3,310 Posts
    I just bought a low spec'd AMD Vision laptop (essentially a netbook in a 15" laptop case).

XP (at least the nLited install I'm using) is so much snappier and more responsive than 7 on this hardware. It feels like I'm back home after using 7 exclusively for a couple of years. I do miss a few of the features like Aero snap though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #397
    January 2012
    412 Posts
    1. You have hardware issues, could be anything from overclocked CPU to running a million-billion amount of programs
    2. OS Corruption. This also includes the SYSTEM_LICENSE_ACCESS_VIOLATION Bug Check, for not having a genuine copy of Windows.
    4. Bad drivers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

38. Post #398
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    3,949 Posts
    Except when 2 isn't caused by you but by some edge cases in Windows, you're not doing anything wrong (except tolerating those issues and not switching to another OS)

39. Post #399
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    May 2005
    2,146 Posts
    I will rather use XP on a computer with a dual core or weaker and 1gb ram and lower, like my laptop.

40. Post #400
    Bus Driver
    December 2009
    8,336 Posts
    I will rather use XP on a computer with a dual core or weaker and 1gb ram and lower, like my laptop.
    Why dual core? They should have no problems with Windows 7. I agree with the 1 GB RAM part though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)