1. Post #401
    January 2012
    412 Posts
    Why dual core? They should have no problems with Windows 7. I agree with the 1 GB RAM part though.
    If the PC has at LEAST a P4 @2.6GHz or higher with HyperThreading, then I'll do Windows 7. Any CPU slower or crappier gets XP or Linux. Any machine lower than 1GB automatically gets denied 7 in my house.

2. Post #402
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    84 Posts
    And Windows do state that you need at least 1GB for 7.

3. Post #403
    August 2011
    54 Posts
    "If you're BSODing you're doing something wrong."
    Exactly. The major 3 causes of a BSOD are:
    1. You have hardware issues, could be anything from overclocked CPU to running a million-billion amount of programs
    2. OS Corruption. This also includes the SYSTEM_LICENSE_ACCESS_VIOLATION Bug Check, for not having a genuine copy of Windows.
    3. Virus, Trojan etc. Not saying this is the top cause, but it is common.
    4. Bad drivers.
    5. Fallout 3 / New Vegas
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Belgium Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 2 (list)

4. Post #404
    Bus Driver
    December 2009
    8,309 Posts
    5. Fallout 3 / New Vegas
    I don't get BSOD's. The game just feels this constant need to randomly crash to the desktop.

5. Post #405
    PERKELE
    May 2009
    6,088 Posts
    One of my computers has had xp since release, still same install.
    Works like a champ!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

6. Post #406
    August 2011
    54 Posts
    I don't get BSOD's. The game just feels this constant need to randomly crash to the desktop.
    Agreed with F:NV.
    But with F3, my pc frequently got BSOD(ed) :/
    Too bad though, because without all the bugs, both are pretty good games..

7. Post #407
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    8,971 Posts
    Switched to 7 after using ME and XP for past 10 years
    Daaaamn
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Funny Funny x 9Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

8. Post #408
    haha oh boy here we go again
    November 2011
    593 Posts
    For the record, there's a considerable number of old games that just won't work in 7, any compatibility mode, or sometimes even Microsoft's bullshit Virtual PC deal with XP. In such cases, you need XP to run the game, and I can think of several examples - SimTower was one of my favorite games as a kid, and it refuses to run whatsoever on anything past XP, so my only option is to run it on my netbook (which runs XP because it's only got 768 MB of RAM - hey, it was only $20) or run it on XP through VirtualBox. Plus, I only have 7 64-bit, so I can't run 16-bit installers (NFS3 was my latest attempt at this).

Not saying that XP is better than 7, but it's handy to have around as a backup or when you're using a piece of shit netbook.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #409
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    3,949 Posts
    Not saying that XP is better than 7, but it's handy to have around as a backup or when you're using a piece of shit netbook.
    The thing is, no matter how many legit versions there are to run XP (and/or to not run Vista/7), idiots with no foresight will still shit blanket statements about how you should never use it ever. It's just the way some people are.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Funny Funny x 1Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #410
    June 2008
    882 Posts
    I haven't upgraded to Windows 7 yet because I don't want to do a clean install and go back through all my programs when upgrading from xp pro to 7 pro.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

11. Post #411
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    4,290 Posts
    I haven't upgraded to Windows 7 yet because I don't want to do a clean install and go back through all my programs when upgrading from xp pro to 7 pro.
    http://ninite.com/
    http://www.gamesave-manager.com/

And the steam backup tool. (Steam>backup and restore games)

Made my transition easy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

12. Post #412
    January 2012
    1,692 Posts
    My computer could run 7, but it's really expensive - $300? Really?

13. Post #413
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,822 Posts
    My computer could run 7, but it's really expensive - $300? Really?
    That's the price of Ultimate Retail. Which you don't need.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832116986
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

14. Post #414
    January 2012
    412 Posts
    That's the price of Ultimate Retail. Which you don't need.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832116986
    I use Ultimate. Ultimate is full-blown Windows 7. Anything lower, like Home Premium or Professional are missing features.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 10Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

15. Post #415
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,822 Posts
    I use Ultimate. Ultimate is full-blown Windows 7. Anything lower, like Home Premium or Professional are missing features.
    Features that you will mostly never use.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)

16. Post #416
    January 2012
    412 Posts
    Features that you will mostly never use.
    >Implying you know my computing habits.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 16Funny Funny x 1 (list)

17. Post #417
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,850 Posts
    This isn't 4chan. Anyhow, most people won't use Ultimate features (most won't even use Professional's), so for the average person, it's safe to assume that they won't.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

18. Post #418
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    1,877 Posts
    How is the new explorer complicated at all unless you're inept altogether?

Libraries are just "folders" (though not really, not sure how to describe them) that grab content from other locations.

Now what if I want to have music from my E: internal drive show up in my Music library? Don't copy all that shit with ancient XP, just add it here:

Similar thing with Pictures

It's really not a hard concept to understand at all.
    Your Local Disk is happy, your Steam is sad and your Main has buck teeth.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2Agree Agree x 2 (list)

19. Post #419
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    480 Posts
    I scraped together various PC parts I had lying around to create myself a secondary computer. My question is, which Windows would fit it the best? I can install XP, Vista or 7 on it.
    And if I should use Vista or 7 should I go for 64-bit or 32 bit for best performance?
    The hard drive is quite small though which makes me doubtful about Vista or 7 as they take like 15GB space.

The specs are as follows:

MSI MS-7369 (K9N Neo V3) Motherboard
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ (Dual core, 2.2GHz)
    4GB DDR2 RAM
    XFX HD 4770 512MB
    40GB IDE HDD
    Integrated Audio
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

20. Post #420

October 2011
    149 Posts
    I use windows 7 but I did enjoy using XP for quite some time. (2001-2011) I enjoyed it but it kept shitting on me so I upgraded to Windows 7.
    However Windows 7 does have great software but XP will always be #1 when it comes to how easy it is to use.

How do I use Windows 7 search? Does Windows 7 even have a search? ;_; Help I don't know.
    How ever everything is better than Vista
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

21. Post #421
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,822 Posts
    I use windows 7 but I did enjoy using XP for quite some time. (2001-2011) I enjoyed it but it kept shitting on me so I upgraded to Windows 7.
    However Windows 7 does have great software but XP will always be #1 when it comes to how easy it is to use.

How do I use Windows 7 search? Does Windows 7 even have a search? ;_; Help I don't know.
    Search box is right next to the address bar. And it's in the start menu. And you can hit WinKey+F.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

22. Post #422
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,850 Posts

Press start>type>You're in goal, hurra

It's also built into the right upper corner of explorer, much faster, much easier.

Edited:

Fuck you Panda
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #423

October 2011
    149 Posts
    Ohhh. Thanks guys.
    I'm new to 7 because I use XP for a lot of things.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4 (list)

24. Post #424
    January 2012
    412 Posts
    Windows XP is still the best when it comes to making Preinstall Environments like BartPE filled with antivirus, harddisk tools, password recovery, and defragmenting apps. All these XP "Live CDs" are pretty low on resources compared to their Vista/7 counterparts. Mini XP from Hiren's boot CD creates itself a nice little 512MB ram disk, and stays within that 512MB.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

25. Post #425
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    755 Posts
    >greentexting outside of 4chan

You're a retard. I can see NO REASON why I would pay over $100 extra for the Ultimate-exclusive features. At least Enterprise's features are useful.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6 (list)

26. Post #426
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,822 Posts
    >greentexting outside of 4chan

You're a retard. I can see NO REASON why I would pay over $100 extra for the Ultimate-exclusive features. At least Enterprise's features are useful.
    Enterprise and Ultimate are exactly the same with different licencing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 6Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #427
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    755 Posts
    Enterprise and Ultimate are exactly the same with different licencing.
    Sorry, I meant Professional.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Funny Funny x 1 (list)

28. Post #428
    November 2010
    288 Posts
    I used to be able to run games all the time, now I get graphics driver problems and such with any game I try to open. I think I may have deleted or tampered with something important on accident. Ive updated everything i can think of but to no avail

29. Post #429
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    15,646 Posts
    Sorry, I meant Professional.
    Professional does actually provide some benefits over Home Premium. You can access a lot more of the management systems in the OS for example. Allowing you to actually lock down the account of your retarded younger brother enough to stop him causing damage, while still letting him run most programs.

Professional is actually quite useful at times. Especially when you can get it for the same price as Home Premium (I love student discounts).

30. Post #430
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    2,961 Posts
    I'm actually still amazed that someone hasn't figured out SOME way of converting a 32bit Win7 install to a 64bit version. I mean, just how much can really be involved? Isn't it more or less a bunch of file changes (Kernel & such) and some modifications to the registry? Or is there some major fundamental changes involved... I'm sure drivers could be easily taken care of during a conversion if needed.

It just seems like one of those things that I would have expected someone to hackishly do by now. I'd like to switch to Windows 7 but my XP install has been going on nearly 10 years through multiple PC builds and I'm so happy with how perfect it is that I just have 100% no desire to have to reconfigure and/or reinstall everything again (not to mention a critical lack of free time). As a test I whacked in a spare HDD and did an XP32bit to Vista 32bit upgrade, then upgraded Vista 32bit to Windows 7 32bit and that worked perfectly fine... So I can get to Win7 32bit without any issues, but 64bit is the killer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #431
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,850 Posts
    I'm actually still amazed that someone hasn't figured out SOME way of converting a 32bit Win7 install to a 64bit version. I mean, just how much can really be involved? Isn't it more or less a bunch of file changes (Kernel & such) and some modifications to the registry? Or is there some major fundamental changes involved... I'm sure drivers could be easily taken care of during a conversion if needed.

It just seems like one of those things that I would have expected someone to hackishly do by now. I'd like to switch to Windows 7 but my XP install has been going on nearly 10 years through multiple PC builds and I'm so happy with how perfect it is that I just have 100% no desire to have to reconfigure and/or reinstall everything again (not to mention a critical lack of free time). As a test I whacked in a spare HDD and did an XP32bit to Vista 32bit upgrade, then upgraded Vista 32bit to Windows 7 32bit and that worked perfectly fine... So I can get to Win7 32bit without any issues, but 64bit is the killer.
    Upgrading from 32-bit to 64-bit would probably be harder to do, than simply install anew, as it'll probably involve changing out almost all the files, and then there would probably still be some problems. Like much else, it's probably doable, but not really worth ther hassle.

32. Post #432
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,822 Posts
    Upgrading from 32-bit to 64-bit would probably be harder to do, than simply install anew, as it'll probably involve changing out almost all the files, and then there would probably still be some problems. Like much else, it's probably doable, but not really worth ther hassle.
    The registry would be the biggest problem though with the Wow6432Node.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #433
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,850 Posts
    The registry would be the biggest problem though with the Wow6432Node.
    Figured so, but let's just agree on that it would be a buttfuck to do.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #434
    Bus Driver
    December 2009
    8,309 Posts

Probably is possible, but its just much, much easier to reinstall Windows. Besides, you get that nice squeaky clean OS install that everyone loves.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #435
    Hey guys

How come I have "Local disk D" instead of "Local Disk C"

I'm really confused

36. Post #436
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    3,949 Posts

You'd have to replace just about every compiled file on the filesystem, rewrite the entire registry hive, and somehow not fuck that up. Plus there's probably a thing about drivers being either 32 or 64-bit.

Don't think that's going to happen without a Windows rewrite from scratch.

37. Post #437
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    11,068 Posts

I am quite sure that the kernel files (which are completely protected) will need to be replaced and in the end you are just reinstalling windows so why waste days to even attempt doing some stupid thing like this and just get a spool of dvd's or a nice sized hard drive and back shit up and install 7.

The two architectures are unable to work with each other. 32 bit has 16 bit which 64 bit is unable to use and the 64 bit stuff uses 32 bit emulation to keep that stuff working. The registry is just one huge mess that for the sake of drilling it into everyone's head: DO NOT FUCK WITH THE REGISTRY

Trust me and microsoft when we say, if there is no way to do it, then there is NO WAY TO DO IT.

38. Post #438
    geekdeer

December 2009
    216 Posts
    Hey guys

How come I have "Local disk D" instead of "Local Disk C"

I'm really confused
    Maybe because 2 local drives doesn't have a custom partition name ?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #439
    This title is totally OVERKILL™!
    November 2011
    8,541 Posts
    This isn't 4chan. Anyhow, most people won't use Ultimate features (most won't even use Professional's), so for the average person, it's safe to assume that they won't.
    TO BE FAIR ">" is used in emails to quote people.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Sweden Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

40. Post #440
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    3,056 Posts
    I am quite sure that the kernel files (which are completely protected) will need to be replaced and in the end you are just reinstalling windows so why waste days to even attempt doing some stupid thing like this and just get a spool of dvd's or a nice sized hard drive and back shit up and install 7.

The two architectures are unable to work with each other. 32 bit has 16 bit which 64 bit is unable to use and the 64 bit stuff uses 32 bit emulation to keep that stuff working. The registry is just one huge mess that for the sake of drilling it into everyone's head: DO NOT FUCK WITH THE REGISTRY

Trust me and microsoft when we say, if there is no way to do it, then there is NO WAY TO DO IT.
    Even though this isn't related to the 32/64 bit issues, I feel like I need to comment on that
    Two days ago, my parents' PC bluescreened because of a WEBCAM DRIVER ISSUE
    You can't honestly say there's no better way of handling a driver crash, because a webcam isn't critical for the computer to run. It could've displayed an error message and advised the user to reboot to continue normal operation, BUT NOOO, the whole OS had to crash because of it.
    Hell, they could do the same thing with memory-related BSODS.
    Just temporarily disable that memory sector, and display a warning that prolonged use of the OS in its current state might lead to data corruption.

I was having BSODs everytime I played BF3 (and only that one game), until I bought a dedicated sound card. That is a known problem with punkbuster and integrated Realtek sound cards, but I still fail to see why this needed a goddamn bluescreen, just shut down the soundcard for the current session and you're good to go

Edited:

Fuck I'm dumb, just re-read your post and you specifically meant the 32bit->64bit upgrade install, I need to get some rest before I start posting more stupid shit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Poland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)