1. Post #1
    May 2008
    1,135 Posts
    ENEMIES LIST is the record label that wages war on Music. Since 2003.

ENEMIES LIST HOME RECORDINGS is a record label specializing in important, unusual, and intense home-recorded music. It's predicated on the belief that the music industry is dying, that it should die, and that we should be the ones to kill it.

And I personally couldn't agree more.

http://enemieslist.net/kvlt/

Okay, so I've been a semi-avid FP poster for a few years now, but I've been hesitant about making contributions to the Music section for whatever reason. I've been checking out the last.fm profiles of some FP members recently and noticed very few that had EL artists scrobbled and was pleasantly surprised. I'm here to make a megathread about my favorite record label and a few of my favorite artists that they represent. Enemies List is run by Dan Barrett and Tim Macuga of Have A Nice Life fame—if you can use the word "fame" to describe their relatively underground reputation they have as possessing some of the most harrowing, beautiful home recorded music ever produced. One of the coolest aspects of the label is, seeing as it's independently run by a few people, it's incredibly down to earth and Dan Barrett is a very nice person that would be more than happy to answer questions or converse with you over social media. I've made a few montages to Enemies List stuff and he's always tweeted it and thanked me for making them, he's a very, very cool guy. He's also a brilliant musician and a highly educated person.

Let's get to some of the artists, shall we?

First and foremost is Have A Nice Life. Last.fm page: http://www.last.fm/music/Have+a+Nice+Life

(those people are either depressed and numbed by the majesty they just witnessed or bored shitless. it's tough to tell. I can't imagine being the latter)

Their album Deathconsciousness was released to widespread acclaim, often being described as one of the most gorgeously depressing musical works ever created. Again, I completely agree with this. Their music is a convoluted assortment of genres, and I would describe it as being lofi industrial post-rock droney shoegaze post punk with a hint of lime. To get a sense of what they're like, here are a few of my favorite songs off of Deathconsciousness.

Bloodhail (dat bassline)

I Don't Love (goosebumps, every time...you should have good headphones/speakers or whatever to listen to this. if you can't hear the gorgeous melody in the wall of sound, you're doing it wrong)

Earthmover (my jaw dropped the first time I heard the climax of the song, no exaggeration)

Giles Corey is Dan Barrett's solo project. He recently released an album that I would consider to be more of an incredible, highly personal experience than a conventional album. I would describe him as having the intimate, poignant emotion of Elliot Smith combined with dark, experimental production and a heavy dose of shoegazey folk. Last.fm page: http://www.last.fm/music/Giles Corey?ac=giles corey

Here's how a reviewer from Heavy Boots Music described his experience with the album:
    So, here we are. At the end of this record review and I feel I have merely “hit the tip of the iceberg.” No words could do this record justice. There isn’t a review long enough to get you to truly understand this...This isn’t just listening to a record. This feels like a case study...This is something so personal, so special that a normal, weak minded person would never begin to share. It would stay closed in a notebook between the mattress and box springs, but Dan Barrett has decided to share his darkest memories with us all. His lowest point. His point of most abandonment, and I personally couldn’t be more pleased with it. So bring on the tears, the fears and the sleepless nights cause this record is going to start on heavy rotation for a long, long time, and I don’t ask you, but beg you to head over to Enemies List right now to pre-order your copy, because once it’s gone it’s not coming back. Trust me, after you nightmares, dried eyes and eased stomach you will thank me, and most importantly you will thank Dan Barrett.
    I would describe the genre as being something along the lines of lofi ambient shoegazey folk. It's fucking awesome, is what it is. Here's a taste of some of his stuff:

Blackest Bile

No One Is Ever Going To Want Me (...that fucking climax, man.)

Afterlives is a beautiful, largely acoustic lofi shoegaze project created by William Barrett. Last.fm page: http://www.last.fm/music/Afterlives

(edgy pic with lots of bloom, just like his music ! ! !11)

All Teeth

I Am The Heroic

Last but not least is Frustrator!, an Enemies List artist that truly stands out from the rest. While still dark and brooding, Frustrator! is incredibly well produced poppy type stuff with acoustic instrumentation and his vocals are incredibly smooth—he's one of the more talented vocalists involved in EL projects. Even if you aren't turned on by other Enemies List artists, definitely check him out. Last.fm page: http://www.last.fm/music/Frustrator!

(also, he's Asian)

So his stuff isn't on youtube, but go here: http://alonetone.com/frustrator/tracks and listen to the first and third tracks on the list (yes, I know the titles are in illegible oriental characters), which are Allwinters and Hold it in Your Mind, respectively. The latter has pretty sweet bass that kicks in, vaguely reminiscent of a James Blake, SBTRKT or even Burial-esque form of "dubstep" (by which I mean not the awful, shitty ass LOLOL WUBWUBWUB garbage).

So, I hope that you guys check out some Enemies List artists and support them. They really do deserve it and they could use the help.

If you'd like to see the montages I made that I mentioned earlier that use EL as soundtracks, here's one using Afterlives' I Am The Heroic:

and here's one using No One Is Ever Going To Want Me by Giles Corey:

The people I've shown Enemies List to so far have ended up loving most, if not all, of the artists associated with the label. I think they're truly something special and something to be admired and appreciated. In a time when too much garbage is being mass produced and artists that deserve to become known or signed to a label struggle all of their lives to do so, Enemies List is a beacon of hope. They aren't in it for a profit (they know they have no chance in hell of turning one), they're in it for the music. So give them a chance, and support Enemies List Home Recordings!

Add me on last.fm! http://www.last.fm/user/munchiselleh
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    5,163 Posts
    Mamaleek is awesome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    17,931 Posts
    That is some trv stvff right there.

4. Post #4
    May 2008
    1,135 Posts
    Mamaleek is awesome.
    agreed, I'm a fan of Mamaleek as well. I didn't leave Mamaleek out because I don't like them, they're just less likely to be appreciated by the average FP viewer and I didn't have a whole lot of time to write the OP. I'll add them and Planning for Burial, though.

Edited:

That is some trv stvff right there.
    too trv, brvh

5. Post #5
    March 2010
    1,158 Posts
    I love Have a Nice Life, been meaning to check out Giles Corey for a while now, and this thread gave me the motivation to do so. I love it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    5,163 Posts
    I've been meaning to check most this stuff for while. Just wish it was not 20+ dollars to buy most of it. And I totally get the lack Mamaleek, it's pretty harsh stuff.

7. Post #7
    August 2010
    5,378 Posts
    Jesus Christ, I just listened to Giles Corey for the first time. I was almost brought to tears. So raw and honest, and powerful.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    May 2008
    1,135 Posts
    Jesus Christ, I just listened to Giles Corey for the first time. I was almost brought to tears. So raw and honest, and powerful.
    I know, right? The first time I listened to it all the way through it was at night with the lights off and my headphones on...I can honestly say that it was the greatest listening experience I've ever had. It was so sentimental and intimate. I had goosebumps throughout the entire album.

9. Post #9
    August 2010
    2,992 Posts
    is there only 4 songs to the giles corey album? if there are more please direct me to them! i only have 4

10. Post #10
    May 2008
    1,135 Posts
    is there only 4 songs to the giles corey album? if there are more please direct me to them! i only have 4
    those would be the ones that were released for free long before the release. I PM'd you a link. should you decide that the album is worth money, support EL in some way! they have great merch!

11. Post #11
    March 2010
    1,158 Posts
    I know, right? The first time I listened to it all the way through it was at night with the lights off and my headphones on...I can honestly say that it was the greatest listening experience I've ever had. It was so sentimental and intimate. I had goosebumps throughout the entire album.
    I completely agree with this, I was expecting it to be a nice side-project for Dan Barrett/HaNL but I think I almost like it more than Deathconciousness which is really saying something.

Edited:

I forgot how long Deathconciousness was, thats probably why I like Giles Corey a bit better.

12. Post #12
    May 2008
    1,135 Posts
    I completely agree with this, I was expecting it to be a nice side-project for Dan Barrett/HaNL but I think I almost like it more than Deathconciousness which is really saying something.

Edited:

I forgot how long Deathconciousness was, thats probably why I like Giles Corey a bit better.
    got to give credit to deathconsciousness though, it has quite a bit of variety in terms of tone and production and stuff (there is no food, for instance, takes me places in an astral abyss of my unconscious). also, i don't think it gets any better than having earthmover as an album closer

13. Post #13
    March 2010
    1,158 Posts
    got to give credit to deathconsciousness though, it has quite a bit of variety in terms of tone and production and stuff (there is no food, for instance, takes me places in an astral abyss of my unconscious). also, i don't think it gets any better than having earthmover as an album closer
    No doubt its an amazing album, its just long and daunting if anything. Earthmover is amazing.

14. Post #14
    May 2008
    1,135 Posts
    No doubt its an amazing album, its just long and daunting if anything. Earthmover is amazing.
    i would say it has my favorite climax of all time.