1. Post #1
    November 2008
    391 Posts
    [release]

[/release]

[release]
    What is CellMod?

What functions does CellMod give me?
    Calling, Texting, Signal Core, and making your own cellphone company!

This is the Signal Frame that you'll see all the time, at the bottom right at your screen.

Calling
    Calling function is the most central function in CellMod.
    You can /call <player> to start dial, the player then has to approve your call by picking up the phone (/pickup).
    Or he can /hangup and don't answer your call.

The calls cost X amount (that is defined by the provider) each minute.

Textmessages
    This function will probably mostly used.
    You simply /text <player> <text> or /sms

You pay each message sent, the amount is defined by the provider.

Signal Core
    This is a core that I made for the CellMod. The basic idea here is that every phone has reception.
    The signal core decides how much reception you have, and when you loose it.
    It's based on already scripted-in areas from before, and also amount of props around you, if you are in
    a area with extremely many props, your reception will drop (It never drops to No Signal state).

I made the reception drop, when you are near very many props. Since then you get this feeling that more stuff, is blocking the signal.
    If you try to call someone or text someone, that is inside no-signal area. You'll not be able to send the message or run the call.
    If you are in a existing conversation and one of you two enter a no signal area, the conversation will be terminated.
    There are currently only already scripted-in areas for signal for rp_downtown_v2 only. Expect more maps in next update!

Make your own cell provider
    Make your own company with your own decided prices.
    Choose how much a textmessage costs, and per minute a call cost, also
    name your company what ever you want!

And give your simcard to other players with /givesim <name> command!
    Let's see how many costumers you get!
    [/release]

[release]
    Download
    v.1.2
    Doesn't work for G13. Feel free to download it and fix it yourself if you wish

Important Instruction of Install
    1. Download the CellMod zip file.
    2. Unzip it, and place it correctly in the DarkRP folder (It's zipped just to drag and drop).
    3. Enjoy and have fun calling!

Note
    The CellMod has not been updated for almost a year, don't expect it to work at all / completly.

License

CellMod by Blt950 is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

Changelog
    You can find the changelog by clicking here
    [/release]

[release]
    To-Do List

Future Update Plans
    Ideas for next version.
    Code:
    - Remove the default coverage settings. Meaning: The provider needs to build cell towers, to give signal coverage to their clients.
    - Cellphone provider company owner gets earning by clients using their service. (Not sure if I already implanted this or not, but it's going to be there)
    - A visible counter down in the CellMod frame, showing the current call conversation duration.
    - Fix the CellMod not loading properly on each restart of server, and compatible with Gmod 13 DarkRP.
    - Make the entities that will be the Cell towers, that gives coverage to clients. A operator's cell tower will only send out his own signals.
    - Bad signal will start to break up messages and delay them. Where texts will be simply delayed. 
    And conversations would suddenly remove characters/words and breaking it up, and also delay them.
    - Monthly payment from clients to owner: This will be X amount each payday probably. It will be optional to have this for companies.
    - You can change call/text prices even after you've created the company. Maybe also make different subscriptions for one company?
    Like two different ones, one where you pay no "monthly" fee, but calls are more expensive, and opposite. That will be up for you as provider to decide!
    - Some sort of animation that shows you're talking in a phone.
    - Maybe add a optional function for admins to disable/enable PMing, so people don't use it for free messages.
    - A GUI for company owners, and players. Players will have a nice view all sent/recieved text messages, and call history and so on.
    The provider owners will have all their company settings in there, such as plans, towers, income, outcome and so on.
    - Fix GM:OnPlayerDeath, I overrided the function, instead of hook it.
    [/release]

[release]
    Thanks to...

Development
    Blt950 (me)

Beta Testers
    - Torb
    - PetruZ
    - JamieH
    - LiX

Ideas
    - Torb
    - PetruZ
    - Master One

Also thanks to FPtje for some helping, with some tips for the development!

Forgot to add somone? PM me, and I'll fix it

[/release]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Norway Show Events Lua King x 20Winner x 15Useful x 4Funny x 3Artistic x 1Optimistic x 1Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    GUSTAVGR.COM
    September 2011
    264 Posts
    Nice

I mean the video, Not the addon itself
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Dumb x 47Disagree x 2Zing x 2Informative x 1Funny x 1Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Fight for justice, fight for Manning and Snowden.
    April 2010
    2,578 Posts
    Actually, this is one of the nicest DarkRP module's I've seen. Surely it can be improved.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Faroe Islands Show Events Agree x 14Dumb x 1Friendly x 1Informative x 1Lua King x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    September 2009
    541 Posts
    Seems like a nifty little thing, it might come in useful :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Belgium Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    November 2008
    391 Posts
    Actually, this is one of the nicest DarkRP module's I've seen. Surely it can be improved.
    Thank you! As I've told, improvements comes now in future updates.
    So the updates going to make it more exiting and fun :)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    22 Posts
    Amazing!!!! I will use this for my server FTW :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7Informative Informative x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    January 2010
    213 Posts
    Finally not one "admin abuse commands" darkrp module... Congratulations, sir!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Hungary Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    I'm a dumb whiny baby that just won't shut the hell up. Also, I love big hairy cock.
    Dennab
    December 2009
    1,960 Posts
    useless u can use the mic
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Romania Show Events Dumb Dumb x 12Funny Funny x 2 (list)

9. Post #9
    Get your own DarkRP Server!
    January 2006
    5,591 Posts
    I very well appreciate this module.
    I was hoping that some day people would make addons for DarkRP. This was a great idea, I'd like to see it in game, so I'll test it.

Great work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Friendly Friendly x 11Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    September 2009
    541 Posts
    Now there's only one thing left for us to do: find a decent RP server running this addon..

Any test servers?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Belgium Show Events Agree Agree x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    November 2008
    391 Posts
    Now there's only one thing left for us to do: find a decent RP server running this addon..

Any test servers?
    Indeed; Any servers running CellMod, send me a PM :) I'll list you up here on the main thread, and maybe you will be lucky to get a visit by me sometime :]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Norway Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 4Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

12. Post #12

May 2011
    3 Posts
    When a user sends a text or calls somebody, where does the money go? Will it go into the Mobile Operator's pocket?

13. Post #13
    guys i have unique darkrp, k?
    May 2008
    1,358 Posts
    Now I feel like running a DarkRP server just for this. Good job mister.

14. Post #14
    November 2008
    391 Posts
    Now I feel like running a DarkRP server just for this. Good job mister.
    Thank you :)

When a user sends a text or calls somebody, where does the money go? Will it go into the Mobile Operator's pocket?
    The money currently don't go anywhere, which is a little fault of my own side to forget to add. This will probably come in the first update v.1.1 :)

15. Post #15
    quality poster
    Dennab
    August 2009
    12,242 Posts
    Really cool module, though you use networked variables in a lot of places that you.. well, don't need to be networking things

I would advise going through your script and checking to make sure that every single NWVar you use has to be access by everyone on the map. If you don't need everyone on the server to be aware of an NWVar, don't use an NWVar.

Also, don't use SendLua so much.
    Use usermessages, they're a lot more reliable.

SendLua has a limit to how much data can be transferred per message and sometimes the data will be dropped or cut off at a certain character limit and the client will end up executing an unfinished script.

Other than that, it's a really cool mod, good job :)

EDIT:

Flawless just pointed out that you use Think hooks a lot.. and, well, really poorly actually

You have 3 functions hooked to "Think", which is a bad start.
    Think is called each tick, and you're running it on the server, so you'll be lagging the server quite a bit, mostly because in each of the three Think hooks you're calling, you're looping through all the players in the map, which means each tick of the server, you're making the server loop through the players and perform various actions, including modifying networked data, 3 times every tick, which is bad.

In CM.ChangedTeam() you loop through each player on the server (Once again in the Think hook), and then inside an if-statement you're looping through each player AGAIN, in the middle of an ongoing for-loop through each player in the server. Essentially, it's possible that you're looping through every player in the server 3-4 times each tick, PLUS doing an additional loop for every player on the server. That's a lot of loops

function CM.ChangedTeam() -- Somehow the default detect team functions didnt want to co-operate :( So I made this crappy workaround.
    	for k,user in pairs(player.GetAll()) do
    		if user:Team() == TEAM_MOPERATOR and not user:GetNWBool("cm_config") then
    			user:SetNWBool("cm_config", true)
    			user:ConCommand("cm_companyconfigwindow")
    		elseif user:Team() != TEAM_MOPERATOR and user:GetNWString("cm_company") == user:GetNWString("cm_operator") and user:GetNWString("cm_company") != nil and user:GetNWString("cm_company") != "" and user:GetNWString("cm_operator") != nil and user:GetNWString("cm_operator") != "" then
    			for k, v in pairs(player.GetAll()) do
    				if v:GetNWString("cm_operator") == user:GetNWString("cm_company") then
    					v:SendLua("chat.AddText(Color(255,50,0), 'Your cellphone operator "..user:GetNWString("cm_company").." has been dissolved')")
    					v:SendLua("chat.AddText(Color(255,50,0), 'Your current simcard will still work untill you change.')")
    				end
    			end
    			user:SetNWString("cm_operator", "")
    			user:SetNWString("cm_company", "")
    		elseif user:Team() != TEAM_MOPERATOR then
    			user:SetNWBool("cm_config", false)
    		end
    	end
    end
    hook.Add("Think", "CM.ChangedTeam", CM.ChangedTeam)

Using the think hook is fine, you just need to know how to control your intervals.
    Create a single function hooked to Think, and put all of your current Think hook logic inside that function, then make a variable named "cm_NextTick" and use that to delay the execution of your code, er, here lemme show you:

local cm_NextTick = CurTime()
    local cm_TickDelay = 3
    function CM.Think()
    	if CurTime() >= cm_NextTick then --If it's time to run our tick..
    		--Run the code
    		cm_NextTick = CurTime() + cm_TickDelay --Delay the next tick
    	end
    end
    hook.Add("Think", "CMThink", CM.Think)

_____

These are all honest mistakes and nobody should be railing on you for making them, but you should definitely fix these issues if you want people to use this addon on their servers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Lua Helper Lua Helper x 6Agree Agree x 1Lua King Lua King x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    LiX

August 2009
    27 Posts
    Really nice module, will definitely run this on my server but I have a little trouble getting it to work properly.
    The sounds are not working because you haven't included the sound files in the download and the SIM picture is not showing up - it's just a black/purple square.

Did I install it wrong or did you simply forgot to include some files?

/ LiX

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    627 Posts
    wow, nice
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    August 2011
    17 Posts
    My server currently is running this addon. I Like it alot. Check it out. It's a build RP server. Just say your from here and youll get a reward :) Server IP: 75.102.41.50:27015

19. Post #19
    Funquisition Daily Founder
    September 2009
    326 Posts
    Great, now I can call all my gangsters.

I like calling my gangsters.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Cool Kid
    December 2009
    1,191 Posts
    This is pretty cool, very impressive.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    November 2008
    391 Posts
    Really cool module, though you use networked variables in a lot of places that you.. well, don't need to be networking things

I would advise going through your script and checking to make sure that every single NWVar you use has to be access by everyone on the map. If you don't need everyone on the server to be aware of an NWVar, don't use an NWVar.

Also, don't use SendLua so much.
    Use usermessages, they're a lot more reliable.

SendLua has a limit to how much data can be transferred per message and sometimes the data will be dropped or cut off at a certain character limit and the client will end up executing an unfinished script.

Other than that, it's a really cool mod, good job :)

EDIT:

Flawless just pointed out that you use Think hooks a lot.. and, well, really poorly actually

You have 3 functions hooked to "Think", which is a bad start.
    Think is called each tick, and you're running it on the server, so you'll be lagging the server quite a bit, mostly because in each of the three Think hooks you're calling, you're looping through all the players in the map, which means each tick of the server, you're making the server loop through the players and perform various actions, including modifying networked data, 3 times every tick, which is bad.

In CM.ChangedTeam() you loop through each player on the server (Once again in the Think hook), and then inside an if-statement you're looping through each player AGAIN, in the middle of an ongoing for-loop through each player in the server. Essentially, it's possible that you're looping through every player in the server 3-4 times each tick, PLUS doing an additional loop for every player on the server. That's a lot of loops

function CM.ChangedTeam() -- Somehow the default detect team functions didnt want to co-operate :( So I made this crappy workaround.
    	for k,user in pairs(player.GetAll()) do
    		if user:Team() == TEAM_MOPERATOR and not user:GetNWBool("cm_config") then
    			user:SetNWBool("cm_config", true)
    			user:ConCommand("cm_companyconfigwindow")
    		elseif user:Team() != TEAM_MOPERATOR and user:GetNWString("cm_company") == user:GetNWString("cm_operator") and user:GetNWString("cm_company") != nil and user:GetNWString("cm_company") != "" and user:GetNWString("cm_operator") != nil and user:GetNWString("cm_operator") != "" then
    			for k, v in pairs(player.GetAll()) do
    				if v:GetNWString("cm_operator") == user:GetNWString("cm_company") then
    					v:SendLua("chat.AddText(Color(255,50,0), 'Your cellphone operator "..user:GetNWString("cm_company").." has been dissolved')")
    					v:SendLua("chat.AddText(Color(255,50,0), 'Your current simcard will still work untill you change.')")
    				end
    			end
    			user:SetNWString("cm_operator", "")
    			user:SetNWString("cm_company", "")
    		elseif user:Team() != TEAM_MOPERATOR then
    			user:SetNWBool("cm_config", false)
    		end
    	end
    end
    hook.Add("Think", "CM.ChangedTeam", CM.ChangedTeam)

Using the think hook is fine, you just need to know how to control your intervals.
    Create a single function hooked to Think, and put all of your current Think hook logic inside that function, then make a variable named "cm_NextTick" and use that to delay the execution of your code, er, here lemme show you:

local cm_NextTick = CurTime()
    local cm_TickDelay = 3
    function CM.Think()
    	if CurTime() >= cm_NextTick then --If it's time to run our tick..
    		--Run the code
    		cm_NextTick = CurTime() + cm_TickDelay --Delay the next tick
    	end
    end
    hook.Add("Think", "CMThink", CM.Think)

_____

These are all honest mistakes and nobody should be railing on you for making them, but you should definitely fix these issues if you want people to use this addon on their servers.
    Yeah! I'm completly aware of my missuse of NWvars and stuff, I actually started making the module with DarkRPvars instead, then I found out; They didn't want to co-operate with me, heh. So I just made it NWvars.

I've already listed optimizing as a point for v.1.1 update, where I will fix stuff like these double loops, and use Usermessages for SendLua and Vars, and stuff that can be used with it :)

Thanks for the advice anyway!
    And also, as I commented in the script it self ".... so I made this crappy workaround" heh.

Edited:

Really nice module, will definitely run this on my server but I have a little trouble getting it to work properly.
    The sounds are not working because you haven't included the sound files in the download and the SIM picture is not showing up - it's just a black/purple square.

Did I install it wrong or did you simply forgot to include some files?

/ LiX
    I'm pretty sure they should be included, I had that issue myself, but I fixed it. So I think it should be working.
    If you notice I forgot something, then write again. And I'll check it out, maybe it's a bug.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Norway Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    LiX

August 2009
    27 Posts
    I'm pretty sure they should be included, I had that issue myself, but I fixed it. So I think it should be working.
    If you notice I forgot something, then write again. And I'll check it out, maybe it's a bug.
    I have been trying to get it to work for a while now but it's not possible.
    No sounds and no SIM picture. Could you tell me what you did to fix it?
    Hope this will be fixed soon, can't wait! :)

/ LiX
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Sweden Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    November 2008
    391 Posts
    IMPORTANT

The v.1.1 has been released.
    The only change is: I added the missing sounds and material files that I forgot in 1.0 *facepalm*
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

24. Post #24
    January 2006
    5,591 Posts
    When you sent me the PM about overriding the /call thing, I thought you had already tried the playerSay hook.

You haven't O_o

This code demonstrates how to override DarkRP's chat command "/call".

hook.Add("PlayerSay", "CM.Callingstuff", function(ply, text, teamonly, dead) 
    	if string.find(text, "/call") then 
    		-- Do your stuff here
    		return "" -- Return "" to make sure it doesn't show up in chat
    	end 
    end)

I strongly suggest you check out the Gamemode hooks page to see what hooks are available.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    August 2011
    17 Posts
    IMPORTANT

The v.1.1 has been released.
    The only change is: I added the missing sounds and material files that I forgot in 1.0 *facepalm*
    Thanks, ill release it to my server now. Everyone likes it on there :D

26. Post #26
    November 2008
    391 Posts
    When you sent me the PM about overriding the /call thing, I thought you had already tried the playerSay hook.

You haven't O_o

This code demonstrates how to override DarkRP's chat command "/call".

hook.Add("PlayerSay", "CM.Callingstuff", function(ply, text, teamonly, dead) 
    	if string.find(text, "/call") then 
    		-- Do your stuff here
    		return "" -- Return "" to make sure it doesn't show up in chat
    	end 
    end)

I strongly suggest you check out the Gamemode hooks page to see what hooks are available.
    Oh, heh. Embarrasing to forget something so obvious :/ Well thanks!
    Maybe for the v.1.2 update the editing main.lua will be fixed then ;) That's great news :)
    I'll test this tomorrow :)

Thanks again.

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    5,444 Posts
    Dark RP needs to be it's own game or something. Supporting hundreds of players.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 3 (list)

28. Post #28
    quality poster
    Dennab
    August 2009
    12,242 Posts
    Oh, heh. Embarrasing to forget something so obvious :/ Well thanks!
    Maybe for the v.1.2 update the editing main.lua will be fixed then ;) That's great news :)
    I'll test this tomorrow :)

Thanks again.
    I'd probably fix looping through the players 3-4 times per tick thing first to be honest

29. Post #29
    November 2008
    391 Posts
    I'd probably fix looping through the players 3-4 times per tick thing first to be honest
    This is getting fixed in the next update 1.2. This will be only a optimization update :)
    Going to fix alot of small stuff there, and also bugs if there will be some :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Norway Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

30. Post #30

September 2010
    14 Posts
    Way to complicated to install
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    November 2008
    391 Posts
    Way to complicated to install
    I truly understand. Wait a few days until I release the optimization update.
    Then its only drop the files and play :) No more complicated instal then.

32. Post #32
    June 2011
    759 Posts
    Great, going to add this to my server, once it launches!

One of the few things that can actually make a serious DarkRP.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Bulgaria Show Events Funny Funny x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    January 2006
    5,591 Posts
    Great, going to add this to my server, once it launches!

One of the few things that can actually make a serious DarkRP.
    Train your admins personally, it will help massively as well.
    Also make sure they never use admin privileges as playing rights.
    By that I mean things like noclip for building, spawning weapons for self etc.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    June 2011
    759 Posts
    Train your admins personally, it will help massively as well.
    Also make sure they never use admin privileges as playing rights.
    By that I mean things like noclip for building, spawning weapons for self etc.
    Yeah, I do all of these, my admins have been on duty 3 years now. Some of them aren't the best roleplayers per se, since I recruited them out of sandbox, but they learn.

I am also not intending to have any such priviliges, as it would ruin everything.

But thanks anyway, they are good suggestions.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Bulgaria Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    October 2008
    499 Posts
    Cool.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member

October 2011
    56 Posts
    Awesome! if only more servers used this.

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    587 Posts
    This is FUCKING AWESOME SAUCE
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Casual Bananas
    February 2011
    1,709 Posts
    Neat idea.
    But you should take time to review the script. It's kind of messy on most parts.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    June 2011
    759 Posts
    Got broken by the new patch, gotta fix it.

Edited:

I fixed it, these are lines 17-29 of CellMod.lua in gamemodes/DarkRP/modules

Code:
    local function AddDir(dir) // recursively adds everything in a directory to be downloaded by client
    	local List = file.FindDir(dir.."/*", true)

for _, fdir in pairs(List) do
    		if fdir != ".svn" then // don't spam people with useless .svn folders
    			AddDir(dir.."/"..fdir)
    		end
    	end

for k,v in pairs(file.Find(dir.."/*", true)) do
    		resource.AddFile(dir.."/"..v)
    	end
    end
    It was broken in the newest patch.

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    627 Posts
    By habit you shouldn't be adding every single file there is, check if it's a folder, and if it is, call the function again, otherwise check the extension and if it's a valid model/file then add it..