1. Post #441
    Dennab
    December 2011
    5,623 Posts
    Of course aliens are real, evolution, terraforming throughout our planet is proof of that; although these crop circles and what not are probably not real.
    There is no proof that aliens exist, none whatsoever.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Professional x64 Europe Show Events

2. Post #442
    my portfolio
    Dennab
    April 2012
    1,392 Posts
    There is no proof that aliens exist, none whatsoever.
    Apart from the trillions of galaxies each with their own billion solar systems each with their own planets. There is an extremely high chance that these planets have terraformed into something livable ( we've already identified planets that can sustain some carbon organisms in another galaxy ), and that organisms have evolved, even into single cell organisms, it's still extraterrestrial.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

3. Post #443
    Dennab
    December 2011
    5,623 Posts
    Apart from the trillions of galaxies each with their own billion solar systems each with their own planets. There is an extremely high chance that these planets have terraformed into something livable ( we've already identified planets that can sustain some carbon organisms in another galaxy ), and that organisms have evolved, even into single cell organisms, it's still extraterrestrial.
    Yup and as of now all we have is the likelihood that there is life out there, whether or not that life is intelligent or even something we can comprehend is all up in the air.

Don't ever say there is proof if there isn't proof, otherwise you need to cite sources and back it up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Professional x64 Europe Show Events

4. Post #444
    August 2009
    3,883 Posts
    people like you are why the fucking ufo phenomenon is ridiculed.
    Explain, please.
    You have no idea what you're talking about.
    I want you to produce proof of your statements that I have bolded:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behavioral_modernity#Timing posted:
    Great leap forward
    Advocates of this theory argue that the great leap forward occurred sometime between 50-40 kya in Africa or Europe.
    [...]
    According to this model, the emergence of anatomically modern humans predates the emergence of behaviorally modern humans by over 100 kya.

Continuity hypothesis
    Proponents of the continuity hypothesis hold that no single genetic or biological change is responsible for the appearance of modern behavior.

Continuity theorists base their assertions on evidence of aspects of modern behavior that can be seen in the Middle Stone Age (approximately 250 - 50 kya) at a number of sites in Africa and the Levant. For example, a ritual burial with grave goods at Qafzeh is Middle Stone Age (MSA) having been dated to 90 kya. The usage of pigment is noted at several MSA sites in Africa dating back more than 100 kya.
    Why are you bugging me with this when it has next to nothing to do with the topic of the thread? And why must I bring forth evidence, but not the person who originally made the claim?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Sweden Show Events

5. Post #445
    March 2012
    1,001 Posts
    Why are you bugging me with this when it has next to nothing to do with the topic of the thread? And why must I bring forth evidence, but not the person who originally made the claim?

I'm guessing because you make a lot of claims without evidence or backing them up with something.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Iceland Show Events

6. Post #446
    I am a moderator.
    August 2006
    13,241 Posts
    Explain, please.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

If you have read the rules then you would understand that this is a section where we want to post reasonably, with each argument and statement backed up by scientific data.

You statements made no sense to me, especially since you didn't refer to anything, seemingly taking them from thin air.

Taking a freaking hypothesis for granted and as facts has no place in this section. And why does it matter who I ask for evidence? I should be able to ask anyone here for evidence and they should produce it for me. In this case you made the statements, and I asked you to back them.

If you see someone saying stupid things, then ask him for evidence, if he can't produce it report him or PM a mod.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

7. Post #447
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    3,306 Posts
    It's literally impossible for us to be alone in the universe. I doubt the other races are advanced enough to make contact tho.

BRRRRRROTHER

(User was banned for this post ("This is NOT how you debate" - Craptasket))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Romania Show Events

8. Post #448
    July 2010
    1,321 Posts
    No, and there probably won't be for a long time. Our broadcasts have only gone something like 80 LY, which probably isn't enough. It's hard enough to tell if earth even has intelligent life from "space", we might as well not exist.

I'm in Neil Degrasse Tyson's camp with this.. if aliens came here and crashed, I don't want to meet stupid aliens. What a load of shit. So your aliens can cross interstellar space but can't enter an atmosphere and land on some desert flats or something?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

9. Post #449
    August 2009
    3,883 Posts
    It's literally impossible for us to be alone in the universe.
    No, it's not. Why would you draw such a conclusion when we have yet to find any ET life?
    BRRRRRROTHER
    Lol, who's that?
    What a load of shit. So your aliens can cross interstellar space but can't enter an atmosphere and land on some desert flats or something?
    This is like looking at Earth and saying "They can fly to the moon? But they can't even drive cars!" and using that as "proof" that humans are not capable of space travel because you see a car in a ditch somewhere.

10. Post #450
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    3,306 Posts
    No, it's not. Why would you draw such a conclusion when we have yet to find any ET life?
    The universe is more or less incomprehensibly huge. We are a one in a million, but there's just too many planets in the universe to be alone.

Lol, who's that?
    It's just MOTHERFUCKING LIQUID SNAKE FUCK YEAH
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Romania Show Events

11. Post #451
    August 2009
    3,883 Posts
    The universe is more or less incomprehensibly huge. We are a one in a million, but there's just too many planets in the universe to be alone.
    Do you know what "literally" actually means?

Edited:

It's just MOTHERFUCKING LIQUID SNAKE FUCK YEAH
    Haha man why have you got such a similar nick?

(User was permabanned for this post ("Alt of Bob Sagat" - Craptasket))

12. Post #452
    March 2012
    1,001 Posts
    Haha man why have you got such a similar nick?
    Totally related to the discussion.

13. Post #453
    Star Extraordinaire
    May 2011
    4,481 Posts
    There are actually less than 500 billion (estimated) galaxies in the observable universe.

14. Post #454
    President of the Westboro Baptist Church Fan Club
    Dennab
    February 2012
    2,084 Posts
    OK, the next time someone says that there are certainly beings living in the universe besides Humans, I will challenge them. If they can't back up their claim, I will PM Swebonny. So please don't continue to make baseless claims.

15. Post #455
    July 2010
    370 Posts
    Other lifeforms than those on earth? Definitely!
    Alien lifeforms on earth? No.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

16. Post #456
    June 2012
    15 Posts
    Well, what in the hell? Aliens? Goddang Aliens? You people are just asinine, I tell you what. Aliens do not exist. Period. My idiot neighbor believes they do, but he's a nutcase. Can't even tell his wife is having an affair with another man. Talk about something a lot more fascinating, like propane! But heaven forbid you talk about those other bastard gases. To hell with charcoal too.

17. Post #457
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    10,792 Posts
    Aliens do not exist on this planet. There is a high chance for them to exist other places in the universe.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

18. Post #458
    June 2010
    2,266 Posts
    Considering the size of space, I'm sure they do exist. But, because space is so huge, it's not likely we'll ever meet any extraterrestrials.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

19. Post #459

June 2012
    38 Posts
    Seeing as how the universe is infinite, suggesting that we are the only intelligent/sentient/living things is just plain stupid. Do aliens exist? Yes, very much so. Have they visited Earth? I doubt it, it takes millions of years to get around galaxies. Most people assume that "Oh aliens are so super advanced and they probably look down to us as if we were little atoms and insignificant", but in reality I think aliens and humans are at the same level. Some may be more primitive, or advanced, or maybe the same level as us. But they may be just as afraid as the concept of us as we would be to them. Will there be mass hysteria, spase warz, genocide if we found aliens/vise versa, potentially. Would there be a revolution in humanity and there to be a whole new race of advanced beings? Potentially. There are just too many possibilities, jumping straight to "End of humanity" is just as stupid as not beliving in them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

20. Post #460
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    5,752 Posts
    I believe that somewhere in the universe there is at least one planet other than ours that have intelligent life-forms. To believe otherwise is ridiculous, the universe is too large for us to be completely alone (and remember, absence of proof =/= proof of absence). However, I doubt our species will survive long enough to achieve the kind of space flight technology that would allow our civilizations to meet (if the technology is possible at all, not to mention that the chances that we'd be able to contact another species within our own galaxy are astronomical at best).

21. Post #461
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    October 2008
    1,912 Posts
    The only argument against the existence of extra-terrastials is the fact that we haven't heard from any. Unless we for some reason are the first, or one of the first intelligent species there would have been countless species that developed radio millenia or even years ago. Would these not let there presence be known in the universe by radio or similar?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events

22. Post #462
    March 2012
    1,001 Posts
    Seeing as how the universe is infinite,
    We don't know that.

suggesting that we are the only intelligent/sentient/living things is just plain stupid. Do aliens exist? Yes, very much so.
    Again, so is claiming that they do exist because we have no fucking idea if they are out there or not. 'tis not hard to grasp.

23. Post #463
    Willing to off arm for a robot arm
    September 2011
    1,302 Posts
    I believe if you think this one tiny particle in space we call "Earth" is the only pool of life your ignorant
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

24. Post #464

June 2012
    38 Posts
    Again, so is claiming that they do exist because we have no fucking idea if they are out there or not. 'tis not hard to grasp.
    Do you honestly believe that whatever great force that created homo sapiens, and this planet, would just make one spot with sentient beings and leave the rest of the universe (Which you also claim is not infinite) alone, aside from stars and other planets that are completely able to hold a civilization?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

25. Post #465
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    790 Posts
    Do you honestly believe that whatever great force that created homo sapiens, and this planet, would just make one spot with sentient beings and leave the rest of the universe (Which you also claim is not infinite) alone, aside from stars and other planets that are completely able to hold a civilization?
    What great force?

I'm betting he believes that we don't know if there's sentient life out there. We have prediction models that say there might or might not be. Think of weather forecasts; cloudy with a 15% chance of sentience. Nothing is certain or proven.

And he didn't claim that the universe is infinite. He said we don't know if it is. There's a lot of things we don't know.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

26. Post #466
    Dennab
    February 2012
    2,084 Posts
    yes

27. Post #467
    March 2012
    1,001 Posts
    I always find it really amusing when people think "Oh he disagrees with me, then he must have the exact opposite opinion". Don't put words in my mouth, please.

I am just saying we don't know, because nothing has been proven. There is no proof of if the universe goes on forever or not. There is also no proof of if there is alien life form out there. So I take the amazing view of saying "I don't know" - because that is the truth.

We don't know.

Get it?

I'll repeat it one more time.

We don't know.

28. Post #468
    Dennab
    February 2012
    2,084 Posts
    I always find it really amusing when people think "Oh he disagrees with me, then he must have the exact opposite opinion". Don't put words in my mouth, please.

I am just saying we don't know, because nothing has been proven. There is no proof of if the universe goes on forever or not. There is also no proof of if there is alien life form out there. So I take the amazing view of saying "I don't know" - because that is the truth.

We don't know.

Get it?

I'll repeat it one more time.

We don't know.
    If there's no proof then the answer is no. Not "we don't know". You do in fact know. The answer is no, no aliens.

I'm sorry. I'm sorry. You might say "It would be so sad to be in the universe all alone" and yes, it is sad. But it's fact.

29. Post #469
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    5,752 Posts
    If there's no proof then the answer is no. Not "we don't know". You do in fact know. The answer is no, no aliens.

I'm sorry. I'm sorry. You might say "It would be so sad to be in the universe all alone" and yes, it is sad. But it's fact.
    Absence of proof is not proof of absence. There is no proof they exist, but there is no proof that they do not exist. Therefore, the only sensible answer is "we don't know". If we did know, that would be called "proof".

30. Post #470
    Dennab
    February 2012
    2,084 Posts
    Absence of proof is not proof of absence. There is no proof they exist, but there is no proof that they do not exist. Therefore, the only sensible answer is "we don't know". If we did know, that would be called "proof".
    Alrighty then. We also "don't know" if there is an invisible purple elephant floating above New York City. You can't disprove it though! It might be there!

31. Post #471
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    5,752 Posts
    Alrighty then. We also "don't know" if there is an invisible purple elephant floating above New York City. You can't disprove it though! It might be there!
    We have a shit ton of ways to find out if something's floating over NYC, not all of them require the use of the visible spectrum (radar, infra-red, a plane randomly crashing into it, to name a few). Stuff on another planet, however, more difficult to prove. All the devices we could use to prove that Aliens exist don't have the range to find any tangible proof of aliens. Something right on top of us, invisible or not, can and will be found with those very same devices.

32. Post #472
    August 2009
    89 Posts

This guy shouldn't be a gold member, he should be a shitty brown member. The concept of "we don't know" absolutely applies to this circumstance because there's no evidence for or against the existence of aliens. We live in a unfathomably large universe where even Richard Dawkins gave a relatively high probability of other worldly life in his book The God Delusion. It may not be advanced enough to contact us, but it is still life.

Just a protip for King Tiger, please don't assume you are the sultan of the cosmos and you can whip factual information from your brain. You literally claimed, "But it's fact." No sir... No.

TIDE GOES IN TIDE GOES OUT, YOU CANT SPLAIN THAT

33. Post #473
    Dennab
    February 2012
    2,084 Posts
    This guy shouldn't be a gold member, he should be a shitty brown member. The concept of "we don't know" absolutely applies to this circumstance because there's no evidence for or against the existence of aliens. We live in a unfathomably large universe where even Richard Dawkins gave a relatively high probability of other worldly life in his book The God Delusion. It may not be advanced enough to contact us, but it is still life.

Just a protip for King Tiger, please don't assume you are the sultan of the cosmos and you can whip factual information from your brain. You literally claimed, "But it's fact." No sir... No.

TIDE GOES IN TIDE GOES OUT, YOU CANT SPLAIN THAT
    Don't insult my intelligence. You obviously have no concept of scientific reasoning if you think things need to be "disproved" in order for them not to exist.

So until you stop claiming aliens exist or that "we don't know" if they exist, I claim that "we don't know" that a giant purple invisi-elephant is floating over New York.

34. Post #474
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    5,752 Posts
    Don't insult my intelligence. You obviously have no concept of scientific reasoning if you think things need to be "disproved" in order for them not to exist.

So until you stop claiming aliens exist or that "we don't know" if they exist, I claim that "we don't know" that a giant purple invisi-elephant is floating over New York.
    We have a shit ton of ways to find out if something's floating over NYC, not all of them require the use of the visible spectrum (radar, infra-red, a plane randomly crashing into it, to name a few). Stuff on another planet, however, more difficult to prove. All the devices we could use to prove that Aliens exist don't have the range to find any tangible proof of aliens. Something right on top of us, invisible or not, can and will be found with those very same devices.

Missed that part.

35. Post #475
    Dennab
    February 2012
    2,084 Posts
    Alright, new hypothesis. Underneath the surface of Mars, there are trillions of oompa loompas plotting to destroy all human civilization.

Edited:

And the elephant was undetectable and could maneuver out of the way of any tracking technology because it moves just under the speed of light.

36. Post #476
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    5,752 Posts
    Alright, new hypothesis. Underneath the surface of Mars, there are trillions of oompa loompas plotting to destroy all human civilization.
    Oh, sure, that can't be proven... until all those mars rovers and satellites we seem to keep sending over there accidentally stumble over the secret chumba wumba entrance! Extend your range to a planet we can't easily send a satellite or two over to, and then you might have the beginnings of a valid argument.

37. Post #477
    Dennab
    February 2012
    2,084 Posts
    Oh, sure, that can't be proven... until all those mars rovers and satellites we seem to keep sending over there accidentally stumble over the secret chumba wumba entrance! Extend your range to a planet we can't easily send a satellite or two over to, and then you might have the beginnings of a valid argument.
    You're missing the point. I was trying to prove to live4u120 that the inability to disprove something doesn't make it valid or "we don't know". Quite the contrary. It invalidates it and disproves it.

38. Post #478
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    5,752 Posts

Edited:

And the elephant was undetectable and could maneuver out of the way of any tracking technology because it moves just under the speed of light.
    "I'm being constantly proven wrong so I'm going to violate the very laws of physics and reality to make a point until my opposition gets bored and goes back to watching Jurassic park". Seriously, is the concept of extra-terrestrial life, even tiny little microscopic ones on the complete opposite side of the universe, so offensive to you that you absolutely HAVE to prove that they don't exist by pulling shit from your ass?

Edited:

You're missing the point. I was trying to prove to live4u120 that the inability to disprove something doesn't make it valid or "we don't know". Quite the contrary. It invalidates it and disproves it.
    Do you have scientific backing on that or is that just your opinion?

39. Post #479
    July 2012
    265 Posts
    Exterrestrials do not have to be intelligent beings outside of Earth. They can be simple bacteria which are not in Earth, and there is some limited evidence that nanobacteria have lived in Mars through the Allan Hills 84001 meteorite that landed in Antarctica. However it is still debated if it was biotic or abiotic as there are many variables that go against this claim.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

40. Post #480
    Dennab
    February 2012
    2,084 Posts
    "I'm being constantly proven wrong so I'm going to violate the very laws of physics and reality to make a point until my opposition gets bored and goes back to watching Jurassic park". Seriously, is the concept of extra-terrestrial life, even tiny little microscopic ones on the complete opposite side of the universe, so offensive to you that you absolutely HAVE to prove that they don't exist by pulling shit from your ass?
    Calm down son.

Do you have scientific backing on that or is that just your opinion?[/QUOTE]

My position is the very basis of proof and scientific reasoning.