1. Post #41
    May 2007
    173 Posts
    I must be doing something wrong with this. I have an engine (no matter which engine) connected to a transaxial gearbox (no matter which gearbox), which is connected to two wheels. When the body of the vehicle is frozen in the air, the engine seems to work fine, but when its unfrozen and actually moving, its just stuck at idle speeds, with minimal power (although it IS moving, at a VERY SLOW speed), unless I have the gear ratio at something like 0.07. I can't find ANY tutorials either, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong. :c
    Clutch?

2. Post #42
    March 2008
    428 Posts
    Only seems to do anything when its set to 1 (full) which just revs it to max. I tried variable input which did the same. Either no difference or full clutch, which obviously didn't help.

Edited:

OK, so I seem to have gotten it to work. I think it was just alot of trial and error that I needed to work out. Thanks anyway though.

3. Post #43
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,802 Posts
    I've bumped into a bit of a problem regarding the engines. Check the debugger readout for the second engine in this screenshot. I've had every engine I've tried do that from time to time, usually as a result of a lag spike but it happens entirely at random too. Replacing the engine fixes it.

I've also noticed the V8s tend to be a bit touchy about linking. The power comes out the front for some reason, and the transmission can't neatly touch the engine like it can with the inlines.

Other than that I'm loving ACF so far. Still gotta figure out how to make this stuff work properly with my heavy-ass cars, but so far I'm liking it. Especially the radials.

I also have a suggestion regarding the gearboxes: Could they also have an input that takes an integer and directly shifts to that gear? Say, I have a 6-speed on a truck, and I hit a button marked R. It would send a "1" to the gearbox, which would command it to select the first gear on the list(I usually set this to a negative ratio for reverse, 2 is first gear, so on and so forth). If I wanted to jump straight to third gear I could hit another button, which sends a "4" into the gearbox, selecting the third forward ratio present.

4. Post #44
    Needs more suspension.
    Dennab
    February 2006
    4,484 Posts
    frankess, no, every lua file that references another file, has to be made lower case IN the code, as well as the file names. it's an easy but painstaking process

5. Post #45
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    3,487 Posts
    I also have a suggestion regarding the gearboxes: Could they also have an input that takes an integer and directly shifts to that gear? Say, I have a 6-speed on a truck, and I hit a button marked R. It would send a "1" to the gearbox, which would command it to select the first gear on the list(I usually set this to a negative ratio for reverse, 2 is first gear, so on and so forth). If I wanted to jump straight to third gear I could hit another button, which sends a "4" into the gearbox, selecting the third forward ratio present.
    Is that not how it already works?

6. Post #46
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,802 Posts
    Is that not how it already works?
    I'm not sure. Might be? I tried wiring a dual input to one with a 1 and a 2 and it just sort of didn't work.

7. Post #47
    November 2005
    511 Posts
    frankess, no, every lua file that references another file, has to be made lower case IN the code, as well as the file names. it's an easy but painstaking process
    Well, I did like I said and every thing works fine. From what I have found, only lua file referencing to others is "acf_globals.lua" and that is where I only changed paths.

And of course I had to make lowercase everything in the lua folder.
    Code:
    acf/client/cl_acfballistics.lua
    acf/client/cl_acfmenu_gui.lua
    acf/server/sv_acfbase.lua
    acf/server/sv_acfdamage.lua
    acf/server/sv_acfballistics.lua
    acf/shared/rounds/roundap.lua
    acf/shared/rounds/roundaphe.lua
    acf/shared/rounds/roundhe.lua
    acf/shared/rounds/roundheat.lua
    acf/shared/rounds/roundhp.lua
    acf/shared/rounds/roundrefill.lua
    acf/shared/rounds/roundfunctions.lua
    acf/shared/acfgunlist.lua
    acf/shared/acfmobilitylist.lua
    acf/shared/acfsensorlist.lua
    autorun/acf_globals.lua
    autorun/battlepod.lua
    effects/acf_ap_impact/*
    effects/acf_ap_penetration/*
    effects/acf_ap_ricochet/*
    effects/acf_bulleteffect/*
    effects/acf_cookoff/*
    effects/acf_heat_explosion/*
    effects/acf_muzzleflash/*
    effects/acf_scaled_explosion/*
    effects/acf_tracer/*
    effects/shaped_charge/*
    entities/acf_ammo/*
    entities/acf_engine/*
    entities/acf_gearbox/*
    entities/acf_gun/*
    entities/debris/*
    But if you think is not enough, I can make lowercase everything in ACF and send it back (packed) to you. I have a time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Poland Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

8. Post #48
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    4,363 Posts
    I'm not sure. Might be? I tried wiring a dual input to one with a 1 and a 2 and it just sort of didn't work.

if you wire it up to the "Gear" it'll take the value you put into it as the gear.

9. Post #49

March 2012
    92 Posts
    Well, I did like I said and every thing works fine. From what I have found, only lua file referencing to others is "acf_globals.lua" and that is where I only changed paths.

And of course I had to make lowercase everything in the lua folder.
    Code:
    acf/server/sv_acfbase.lua
    acf/server/sv_acfdamage.lua
    acf/server/sv_acfballistics.lua
    acf/shared/rounds/roundap.lua
    acf/shared/rounds/roundaphe.lua
    acf/shared/rounds/roundhe.lua
    acf/shared/rounds/roundheat.lua
    acf/shared/rounds/roundhp.lua
    acf/shared/rounds/roundrefill.lua
    acf/shared/rounds/roundfunctions.lua
    acf/shared/acfgunlist.lua
    acf/shared/acfmobilitylist.lua
    acf/shared/acfsensorlist.lua
    autorun/acf_globals.lua
    autorun/battlepod.lua
    effects/acf_ap_impact/*
    effects/acf_ap_penetration/*
    effects/acf_ap_ricochet/*
    effects/acf_bulleteffect/*
    effects/acf_cookoff/*
    effects/acf_heat_explosion/*
    effects/acf_muzzleflash/*
    effects/acf_scaled_explosion/*
    effects/acf_tracer/*
    effects/shaped_charge/*
    entities/acf_ammo/*
    entities/acf_engine/*
    entities/acf_gearbox/*
    entities/acf_gun/*
    entities/debris/*
    But if you think is not enough, I can make lowercase everything in ACF and send it back (packed) to you. I have a time.
    wow buddy. Thank you. I thought u just ment the acf/ and autorun/ :). Didn't change it in effects and co.
    Got it work now

10. Post #50
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    3,615 Posts
    well since I dont know where else I'd suggest something, but I do have 3 suggestions, a locking differential, and the ability to actualy type out the gear ratio you want, I've noticed that ONLY the sliders are actually use to set the ratios, and that you cant set it by typing the ratio you want into the text box, that way we could have gearboxes with overdrive gears since the sliders only go up to 1, and single output gearboxes to be more like a car's transmission

11. Post #51
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,802 Posts
    Ok, after playing around with ACF for a few days I think I've come up with a proper opinion.

First of all: It's bloody awesome. I think it should be part of vanilla. I've always had trouble wheel powering things, either my engines lacked the power to get more than 10MPH or they had the power and the gears just skipped and spazzed. ACF powertrains don't do that. It's also significantly inflating my E2 capabilities, which is nice. I've also fiddled around a bit with the guns, found them to be pretty badass as well and the damage engine is nice.

The bad, arranged in order of "This shit needs fixing" to "I'd love to see this but it doesn't affect my use of the mod":

Transmissions do NOT like it when a wheel they are linked to is removed. If you do, the transmission glitches and forces the engine to scream at redline as soon as active is 1. Throttle does nothing and the car will not move. Replacing the engine just causes the new one to glitch, replacing the transmission fixes the old engine.

The ammo refill piece is quite glitchy. Spams lua errors, goes invisible at certain angles, often doesn't want to re-arm my weapons. Wouldn't mind that being fixed.

Sometimes the guns take about 2-3x as long to reload as they should. It seems to affect the big ones the most, I've had to spend three minutes waiting on a 203 to rearm before.

The power comes out the wrong end of the V12s and V8s. The power should be coming out the back of the engine where there's absolutely nothing, currently it comes out at the accessory drive. I'd also like to see some of the nodes moved inside the models a bit to enable tucking gearboxes right up to engines.

You cannot link engines directly to props. This is fine for wheel powered creations, helicopters and boats where you'd use a gearbox anyway, but in an airplane you tend to bolt the propeller right onto the crankshaft. Allowing us to do this, at least with the radials, would make planes so much simpler to make.

A bit more engine variety could be useful. Boxers, V6s, V10s, I5s, twins, singles, I3s, R5s, R9s, all in varying displacements. I don't think twin and tri row radials are necessary, I've found it quite easy to just stack the appropriate number of single-rows to create such an engine. I also wouldn't mind an airplane-specific jet engine that produces thrust instead of torque, functionally a thruster but with all the ACF trimmings beside.

More transmission variety would be nice. Perhaps we could move a slider to select how many gears the box has? Some of my cars would be best with one speed forward one reverse, others are perfect with five speeds, still others work great with a three speed. Some would like a six speed, but I cannot do this unless I have a second gearbox providing reverse. I'd also like to see an automatic mode that handles everything. You just put it in P R N D L2 L1 and it behaves exactly like a typical automatic would.

As mentioned above, standard single-exit transmissions would be great too. I'd also like to see a transfer case pop out for use with them on 4WD vehicles.

Sounds for the gas turbine. I love that engine, 200n/m at idle through 4000RPM and only 40kilos, makes for a great skidsteer engine. It's just...silent.

And lastly: A parking brake function. I'd love to be able to send the gearbox a 1 and have it lock the attached wheels in return.

Absolutely love the addon, can't wait for new versions!

12. Post #52
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    3,487 Posts
    About your concerns:
    The gas turbine is fixed I think; it makes sound now.
    As far as linking engines to props, just use a 1 speed gearbox with a 1:1 ratio.
    Dual speed gearboxes are in the works.. they can serve the function of transfer cases, I'd imagine.

13. Post #53
    October 2009
    207 Posts
    Not sure to ask it here or the WIP thread,but is there any good tutorial on ACF?
    Because when i try to find one on youtube,there isn't one.
    EDIT:
    Also,somehow the guns don't work even linked to the (magically dissapearing)ammo boxes.
    EDIT:
    These are the errors:
    [addons\achblarg\lua\entities\acf_ammo\init.lua:194] attempt to index field 'BulletData' (a nil value)

14. Post #54

April 2012
    47 Posts
    I think I've fixed the issue. I will reinstall Gmod (Shitty addons are a majority of what I have slowing my loading speed.) And I will get a link from a friend who can assist me with the problems I had when downloading which caused... Well it wasn't there at all. So yeah. Oh, lol, this is EXACTLY how good my tanks were when I had the really old version. Reaaallly good right? Same quality as Karbine. Oh yeah...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjibvAx0L04

"Some good recoil handling there..."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Late Late x 1 (list)

15. Post #55
    January 2009
    3,861 Posts
    Is there... any particular reason you decided to quote the entire OP?

Also, has the wiki for this ever been remade? What with the gmod wiki killing mod pages.

16. Post #56

April 2012
    47 Posts
    Is there... any particular reason you decided to quote the entire OP?

Also, has the wiki for this ever been remade? What with the gmod wiki killing mod pages.
    I didn't intend to. Fixed it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

17. Post #57
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    3,487 Posts
    No, you hit the reply button, which copies the entire message and places it in quote tags.

Please edit your post so the page isn't twice as large as it needs to be. Thanks.

18. Post #58

February 2010
    40 Posts
    Is there any chance that ACF will ever support linking props to the inputs of gear boxes? Building cars is fun as it is, but being able to have a full on transmisson with homebuilt engines would rock.

19. Post #59
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    3,487 Posts
    Doubt that will happen, since the tech behind the gearboxes is just maths, and not any real forces or physics are involved. Translating it into the physics environment in GMod would be complicated, I'm sure.

Plus, the whole point of ACF Mobility is to provide a proper replacement for half-assed propulsion systems and overcomplicated engines. Am sad, but it's the wave of the future. Wave of the future. Wave of the future.

20. Post #60

February 2010
    40 Posts
    Ah, good point which I didn't think about. Am sad too. But the wave of the future will prevail!

21. Post #61
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,802 Posts
    Idunno. I think it'd be pretty simple. We'd just need a new ACF part that's attached to the crankshaft just like an E2 would be, and then is linked to a normal gearbox. LUA scripts read how hard and how fast that new part is spun, then use that in place of the torque and RPM figures the ACF engine would normally output to determine how hard to turn the wheels and at what speed. Wiremod can generate consistent-ish torque and RPM numbers so it's not like lua scripts can't either.

I also don't really see ACF as a flat replacement for physics engines, but more of a compliment to them. I still build them myself, matter of fact, although I will say I've stopped trying to power cars with them. But I always sucked at making engine powered cars
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #62
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    3,487 Posts
    If E2 is any indication, it's hard to maths a gearbox.

23. Post #63
    November 2009
    2,014 Posts
    You'd have to do some axis and hitnormal fuckery too.

24. Post #64
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,802 Posts
    As far as the gearbox is concerned it's hooked up to an ACF engine. The new part just reads the output of the physics engine it's attached to and then sends that along to the gearbox in the same manner the ACF entities currently do.

25. Post #65
    November 2009
    2,014 Posts
    You're kind of slow, aren't you?
    You'd have to determine which axis of rotation to draw power from, at the very least.
    That's why I draw orientation and axis stuff into this.

Edited:

There are probably more reason why this would be even more of a challenge, but I'm just taking logical guesses as to what the issues would be.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

26. Post #66
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    3,487 Posts
    I'm still convinced that it would prove extremely difficult to get countertorque to feed properly to the engine.

27. Post #67
    December 2011
    57 Posts
    You should add some wankels and a CVT transmission. That would be pretty neat!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #68
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,802 Posts
    You should add some wankels and a CVT transmission. That would be pretty neat!
    Haha, yaeh, they would be.

I'm still convinced that it would prove extremely difficult to get countertorque to feed properly to the engine.
    I'm not. E2s can apply torque to objects, I don't see why this new gadget couldn't do that to itself to slow down an engine and apply the load.

You're kind of slow, aren't you?
    Real mature.

You'd have to determine which axis of rotation to draw power from, at the very least.
    Not difficult at all. Someone like ZeosPantera could whip up an E2 to do this in a couple of days. It isn't that difficult.

There are probably more reason why this would be even more of a challenge, but I'm just taking logical guesses as to what the issues would be.
    I don't think it'd be as hard as it's made out to be. It doesn't look terribly difficult to do. It just has to read the RPM and the force with which it is turned. The challenge would lie within getting enough gearboxes chained up to not explode since physics engines can be insanely torquey.

29. Post #69
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    3,487 Posts
    I'm not. E2s can apply torque to objects, I don't see why this new gadget couldn't do that to itself to slow down an engine and apply the load.
    Go and try for yourself in E2 to countertorque an engine to varying degrees and see how far you get. Go ahead.

I've tried for months to find a viable way to do it, and it doesn't work. Once you start applying a lot of force, the E2 can't measure precisely enough to turn the force off when the engine reaches zero RPMs. It slips a little bit, and the force sends it off into a spasm. This happens on all but the weakest engines that I've tested.

30. Post #70
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    2,954 Posts
    Ever since the gearbox and engine update, i've been having nothing but problems getting my vehicles moving, especially with the new boxes :(

31. Post #71
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,802 Posts
    Go and try for yourself in E2 to countertorque an engine to varying degrees and see how far you get. Go ahead.

I've tried for months to find a viable way to do it, and it doesn't work. Once you start applying a lot of force, the E2 can't measure precisely enough to turn the force off when the engine reaches zero RPMs. It slips a little bit, and the force sends it off into a spasm. This happens on all but the weakest engines that I've tested.

if(RPM < 25) {Countertorque = 0}
    if(RPM < 25) {Ignition = 0}

Bam. It's not rocket science, when the RPM gets low enough you cut the ignition and countertorque. You can also do it through friction between the flywheel and the plate to which it is attached, the engine bogging down would be simulated by kicking the friction at that point up until it stalls. Or you could just weld latch the crank to the crankcase when the RPMs get low enough.

It's a moot point anyway since the ACF gearboxes already bang the clutch in for you when the RPMs get low enough. You can't stall your ACF engine so it stands to reason the clutch would be disengaged on a physics engine before any of this becomes an issue as well.

Ever since the gearbox and engine update, i've been having nothing but problems getting my vehicles moving, especially with the new boxes :(

Odd. You sure your install is working? I've only tested the 3.1l diesel four so far but I haven't noticed any issues myself.

32. Post #72
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    3,487 Posts
    I guess that could work, but Karb has been talking as though stalling the engine would be possible, so that would add a few more problems.

Also, the 3.1l i4 diesel is a beast.

33. Post #73
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,802 Posts
    Yeah, it is. I have it in a 6100lb 4WD SUV, and it will rather nicely tow an additional 8500 pounds around. The engine could probably tow more but the vehicle just gets too tailhappy, can't control the trailer above that point. Definitely enough engine to tow around a Howitzer + Ammo.

Perhaps if I make a four wheel trailer that supports and controls it's cargo instead of a two wheel one that relies on the tow vehicle for that I could find out just how strong that little thing really is?

34. Post #74
    January 2009
    3,861 Posts
    Has the wiki for this ever been remade? What with the gmod wiki killing mod pages.

35. Post #75
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    2,954 Posts
    Odd. You sure your install is working? I've only tested the 3.1l diesel four so far but I haven't noticed any issues myself.
    It's installed fine as far as I'm aware, it's just me. I can use the same setups as before, engine, dual clutch transaxial and not have any problems; it's when I use the transfer cases and dif's that I get confused.

I also have no sound for the turbine :(

36. Post #76
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    3,487 Posts
    Yeah, it is. I have it in a 6100lb 4WD SUV, and it will rather nicely tow an additional 8500 pounds around. The engine could probably tow more but the vehicle just gets too tailhappy, can't control the trailer above that point. Definitely enough engine to tow around a Howitzer + Ammo.

Perhaps if I make a four wheel trailer that supports and controls it's cargo instead of a two wheel one that relies on the tow vehicle for that I could find out just how strong that little thing really is?
    That would be quite awesome; I await your results.

I hate going on to servers with ACF, only to find that everyone is using 9l V8s in their vehicles and complaining that they can't get any power. Damnit, people, use the fucking clutch once in a while! So frustrating.

Edited:

It's installed fine as far as I'm aware, it's just me. I can use the same setups as before, engine, dual clutch transaxial and not have any problems; it's when I use the transfer cases and dif's that I get confused.

I also have no sound for the turbine :(
    As far as the turbine sound, the sound clips are there if you want to implement them yourself, but I think for now they aren't being used for some reason.

37. Post #77
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,802 Posts

I hate going on to servers with ACF, only to find that everyone is using 9l V8s in their vehicles and complaining that they can't get any power. Damnit, people, use the fucking clutch once in a while! So frustrating.

Actually, it's funny you mention this. On the GME Build servers I noticed the engines are maybe 40% as powerful as they are in single player and the dedi my GF set up. I took a truck I built there, which needed two 11L Radials totalling 1100nm torque to move at all, and found a 4.8L I6 was still more than the rear wheels could handle on the private server. It's odd. I've also got a dozer I built that has a 15000 pound push capacity. On the private/in SP a 19l diesel V8 is ample, and the limiter is traction. On GME Build I need the big V12 diesel to match that rating, and the clutch is required to get it moving. And on GME Build any engine below 400nm is completely useless, whereas on the private dedi and in SP I've built vehicles that were able to use the 1.0L.

Idunno what the difference is, but some servers seem to weaken the engines and others don't. It doesn't bother me too much though, I spend all my time on the private server these days. But it is odd.

38. Post #78
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    3,487 Posts
    I've noticed the same thing, actually, though I've still had no problem deploying even the 1.5l successfully. I really hope ACF doesn't turn into a customized addon that's different on each server; that'd just muck things up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #79
    Needs more suspension.
    Dennab
    February 2006
    4,484 Posts

lua isn't really any better at it. ACF sucks at doing that as well.

Edited:

I know. acf needs to be made stable again, and kaf has lost interest. we're trying to find new coders, but it's tough. tgifallen has offered his services but i haven't really asked him to do anything yet.

the major problem is reverse ratios through gearboxes. they're fucked up.

40. Post #80
    July 2008
    51 Posts
    Anyone know a good LAG FREE server with ACF on it? And which also has a decent player base (4-5 players online would be nice)