1. Post #121
    Needs more suspension.
    Dennab
    February 2006
    4,484 Posts
    I'm also not convinced with the RPM limits on some of these petrol engines. I don't know a single american V8 that rev limits at 3K. And a 5.7 liter V6 that doesn't even reach 8000 rpm.. I dunno, they don't feel like the have the oomph some sports cars would usually have.

Edited:

and it's a v8, not a v6, and v6s hardly even reach 8000 rpm. remember that these engines are based around the period of 1940-1970s.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #122
    April 2009
    5 Posts
    As of the current revision, are you supposed to be getting sound to play when a turbine is on?

3. Post #123
    Needs more suspension.
    Dennab
    February 2006
    4,484 Posts
    yes
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

4. Post #124
    April 2009
    5 Posts
    Well! off to re-download it, thanks for the clarification

5. Post #125
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    650 Posts
    Aaah i didn't realize i should be making beefy muscle cars and jeeps instead of modern hatchbacks and sports cars.

6. Post #126
    April 2011
    5 Posts
    This addon is gorgeous for making working vehicles, but we don't seem to have the slightest bit of sound for engines. Every other sound works, just not engines.

7. Post #127
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    15,443 Posts
    Are there any well written tutorials like starter guides for ACF? While videos can show you what to do, I much rather read how to do it so I can do at my own pace and actually understand what is written rather than deciphering microphone buzz and shit.

Edited:

I understand slapping an engine together and getting it to move, etc. But the more complex stuff behind it, like what all the details mean and how they relate.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Useful Useful x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

8. Post #128
    April 2011
    12 Posts
    I just needed to tell the creators of ACF Mobility that I love them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

9. Post #129
    April 2010
    1,993 Posts
    It seems that missiles give me a lua error when I select them in the menu. Any fixes?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 France Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #130

July 2008
    850 Posts
    They aren't done yet
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #131
    November 2009
    2,119 Posts
    You wait

12. Post #132

October 2011
    281 Posts
    Aaah i didn't realize i should be making beefy muscle cars and jeeps instead of modern hatchbacks and sports cars.
    80mph+ cars are easy if you can build properly.

13. Post #133
    ~Tital~
    July 2009
    1,194 Posts
    Hello, I have a problem with ACF I've read the readme and all that good shit and moved the folders to where it stated. Not my first time with ACF i'm not sure why this is happening.

Picture of said problem:

When I spawn an engine and look at it it goes invisible and spams errors into console and when I try to spawn the missiles the menu completely disappears if you could help me I would really appreciate it thanks.

On a fresh install of gmod I might add aswell.

----------Solved.-------------

14. Post #134
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    460 Posts
    How about another reality check guys? Engines do NOT wait until 90% throttle to rev up. I know for a fact that (for example) the .289 V8 (4.7L) in a 1964 Mustang hits 2k RPM with the pedal barely touched (in neutral) and redlines at nearly 6k RPM. Why then does the ingame V8 of approx. the same size 1) cap out at 3k and 2) only start actually getting higher RPMs when you've basically almost floored the pedal?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

15. Post #135
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    3,146 Posts
    (from another thread)

vehicle has poor climbing:
    reduce gear ratios
    put a transfer case in to create a low-range multiplier for the gearbox
    make vehicle lighter
    redistribute weight ballast to front of vehicle
    How do I properly use a transfer case? I never really understood it so just stuck with the standard gearboxes

16. Post #136
    Needs more suspension.
    Dennab
    February 2006
    4,484 Posts
    How about another reality check guys? Engines do NOT wait until 90% throttle to rev up. I know for a fact that (for example) the .289 V8 (4.7L) in a 1964 Mustang hits 2k RPM with the pedal barely touched (in neutral) and redlines at nearly 6k RPM. Why then does the ingame V8 of approx. the same size 1) cap out at 3k and 2) only start actually getting higher RPMs when you've basically almost floored the pedal?
    yeah, I know. the problem is listed on the acf googledoc. our coder that i assigned to these problems won't address it.

Edited:

(from another thread)

How do I properly use a transfer case? I never really understood it so just stuck with the standard gearboxes
    A transfer case is also known as a range box, it is used to give the vehicle super low gearing for superior terrain negotiation while maintaining road-drivability

to use one for making a range box, link Engine -> Primary Gearbox (WITH NO NEGATIVE RATIOS) -> Transfer case (also with no neg ratios) -> and finally use transfer cases for differentials (with the second ratio NEGATIVE for reverse)
    the transfer case after the primary gearbox will multiply the power coming out of the primary gearbox that goes to the wheels, effectively creating a low and high range (high range would be normal driving range)
    you can even link another transfer case (or just use a 4 speed gearbox) behind the primary gearbox to create a normal ratio set and control 2WD/4WD with high/low.

you should also only be using the clutch and brake input on the final entity in the driveline (differential or transfer case) and only reverse a ratio on the last entity (this is why i said use a transfer as a diff)

And finally, remember with clutching is confusing; it is based on the torque limit of the gearbox when you give it a percentage.
    Example: Gearbox has a limit of 100nm, engine makes 50nm of torque. You give it 0.5 clutch (50%), this means the gearbox will allow 25nm to the wheels. However, if you use a 200nm limit gearbox with the same 50nm engine, a 0.5 input will allow 100nm through the gearbox, so that means all torque from the engine is going to the wheels unless you give it an input of 0.25 or something.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

17. Post #137
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    3,146 Posts
    Wow you're awesome, thank you so much for that.

So just to make it clear (and sorry if i'm being dumb) I'd go

Engine -> Gearbox -> Transfer case -> Wheels?

18. Post #138
    Needs more suspension.
    Dennab
    February 2006
    4,484 Posts
    for 2WD, yes

19. Post #139
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    460 Posts
    yeah, I know. the problem is listed on the acf googledoc. our coder that i assigned to these problems won't address it.
    Fire his ass. Seriously, if you assigned him something and he's refusing to do it, kick him out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

20. Post #140
    Needs more suspension.
    Dennab
    February 2006
    4,484 Posts
    i've noticed an issue; not really a bug, but the method i stated earlier will only work if you increase the gearboxes size as they go down the drivetrain-

example, a gearbox's purpose is to multiply torque. so if you're in first gear, 5:1, and the engine makes 100nm, that means the output torque from the primary gearbox is 500nm. this then goes to the transfer case, which further multiplies it (2:1, low range) to 1000 nm. Now, when it gets to the last gearbox, you'll be pushing out 1000 nm, which means the last gearbox has to be able to handle this.

I noticed this while making my gama goat.

21. Post #141
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    3,146 Posts
    Okay, thank you Amplar for taking the time to help me, I appreciate it.

Just need to work on making a half decent chassis now

22. Post #142
    September 2011
    61 Posts
    Hey, umm.. I have a request, would it be possible to create a manual override for the clutch so that we can brake using downshifting?
    Also make the engines stallable maybe? That would be so much fun

23. Post #143

June 2009
    1,811 Posts
    Hey, umm.. I have a request, would it be possible to create a manual override for the clutch so that we can brake using downshifting?
    Also make the engines stallable maybe? That would be so much fun
    Why would you need that, you can already downshift manually, and use clutch manually.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

24. Post #144
    March 2009
    352 Posts

needs to be fixed :P
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Funny Funny x 2Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

25. Post #145

June 2012
    21 Posts
    any other engines types coming?I would really like to see in acf W-engines,opposite engines.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

26. Post #146
    April 2011
    310 Posts
    any other engines types coming?I would really like to see in acf W-engines,opposite engines.
    They've added V-Twins and One cylinders. They're actually really nice to use for smaller vehicles, like my Polaris Ranger I made. Check 'em out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Zing Zing x 1 (list)

27. Post #147
    Needs more suspension.
    Dennab
    February 2006
    4,484 Posts

What.

I don't know what pisses me off more, saying tanks are immature, or being a brony.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Late Late x 2Funny Funny x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

28. Post #148
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    3,146 Posts
    What's worse is saying tanks are immature, and then saying you like a show aimed at 5 -9 year old girls.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United Kingdom Show Events Zing Zing x 2 (list)

29. Post #149
    April 2011
    310 Posts

What.

I don't know what pisses me off more, saying tanks are immature, or being a brony.
    You can hate me all you want, I could really care less. Tank builders have ruined it for me, and my interests have no bearing on what kind of person I am. So go ahead rage all you want. I'm allowed to like and not like whatever the fuck I want. :)

EDIT:I don't know what's more stupid, that I tried to defend myself by saying this or that I even had the opinion in the first place.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Funny Funny x 1 (list)

30. Post #150
    Contron's Favourite Foxy
    May 2007
    1,268 Posts
    I don't understand really why you would complain that tanks are for little kids when ACF is pretty much built to BALANCE tanks, not move your pussytruck around.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

31. Post #151
    March 2006
    609 Posts

Back in my day we didn't have all this fancy pants Ay-sea-eff. We built engines with our hands out of garbage cans and and cement. Tall as a ten story building they were. We lost good men on each build. Crushed to death by their own ambitions.

Why you little whipper snappers wouldn't know about torque if it crawled out your mama's snatch and took a dump on your chest.

{grumble grumble}
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4Dumb Dumb x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

32. Post #152
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    650 Posts
    Say, i'm building a car with a similar setup as illustrated above using a v8. It seems like no matter what i do i can't get the thing to do anything but spazz violently upon recieving torque! Any reccomended ratios? the thing weighs no more than 1800 pounds...

33. Post #153

October 2011
    281 Posts
    Say, i'm building a car with a similar setup as illustrated above using a v8. It seems like no matter what i do i can't get the thing to do anything but spazz violently upon recieving torque! Any reccomended ratios? the thing weighs no more than 1800 pounds...
    Convert to metric, then we can speak

34. Post #154
    April 2011
    310 Posts
    Convert to metric, then we can speak
    the game's unit of measure for weight isn't really anything specific... I mean unless I'm missing something somewhere...

35. Post #155
    January 2008
    1,115 Posts
    Mass in Source is treated as kilograms, so yes, it is specific.

Vicious, if you're actually measuring '1800' - that's in kilograms (4000 odd pounds).

36. Post #156
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    3,575 Posts
    I was pretty sure that mass in Source was measured in Imperial units, as everything else is. Got a source on that information?

37. Post #157
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    650 Posts
    Blablabla the weight of the total vehicle isn't any more than 2000 source units Fo'Sho.

So the Engine is a 9L V8 Petrol with a six speed medium gearbox. Heres some pics.

Underside

Fromback

With the Body :D

38. Post #158
    Needs more suspension.
    Dennab
    February 2006
    4,484 Posts
    gmod weight is in kg

player weighs about 80-odd KG, which is 180 lbs

39. Post #159
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    3,575 Posts
    I'm confused over why Source would measure weight according to the Metric system when it uses Imperial for almost everything else.

40. Post #160
    April 2011
    310 Posts
    Is there anywhere we can get confirmation of this? I have never seen pounds or kilograms in the weights.