1. Post #361
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    3,567 Posts
    And even with that option you could bundle all the parts in one compressed file.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #362
    October 2010
    11,301 Posts
    Little Blocks, Sonic's Shaders, GLSL Shaders and MAtmos are now 1.2.3

Also added ExtraBiomesXL to the OP.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

3. Post #363
    September 2010
    6,624 Posts
    Someone link me to a good mod manager, I don't want to deal with doing it myself.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

4. Post #364
    October 2010
    508 Posts
    MCPatcher work fine. http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/...hd-fix-234-01/
    Backup your old jar, add and remove mods as you wish. Tell if incompatibilities. Alos have HD texture and few aesthetic mod in itself.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #365
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    1,788 Posts
    Lets put that one to the test with the core part of the 2 mods I mentioned.

RedPower - Core
    195KB
    http://www.eloraam.com/files/RedPowerCore-2.0pr4d.zip

Downloads

Buildcraft - Core
    113KB
    http://www.mod-buildcraft.com/releas...ore-2.2.12.zip

Downloads

I think it's quite obvious here that both file size and upload restrictions are not an issue with the big mods.

Look, I appreciate they want some income for what they've worked on, and again, I said - an adfly link here and there is perfectly acceptable. But they are clearly splitting their mods up into as many pieces as possible to abuse the system, and that's when people get annoyed.

Also I'd like to point out that I'd never seen this kind of behaviour from modders before Minecraft. There were no adfly links or similar - modders were content with what they could get from website advertising and the like, and that people were playing their mods at all.
    I still don't see why it's an issue. Just open all of the links at once then skip all the ads as soon as possible. It's not like it's going to take you an extra half hour, it's pretty much a few more clicks. It's a minor inconvenience at best and if you really want the mod you should have no problem with supporting the modders who created something that you enjoy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #366
    Naci's Sidekick
    July 2010
    7,475 Posts
    Why must most modders always use AdFly, fuuu.
    http://userscripts.org/scripts/source/89322.user.js
    Skip it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

7. Post #367
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    7,336 Posts
    I still don't see why it's an issue. Just open all of the links at once then skip all the ads as soon as possible. It's not like it's going to take you an extra half hour, it's pretty much a few more clicks. It's a minor inconvenience at best and if you really want the mod you should have no problem with supporting the modders who created something that you enjoy.
    For some reason, you can't do that. I've tried.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

8. Post #368
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    3,567 Posts
    Again, I've stated 3 times now that I don't really oppose them getting income. It's never happened before Minecraft but still that's more of a 'surprised it hasn't before' than some sort of opposition to it.

But how many adfly links before you suddenly see them taking the piss? 7? 10? 15? What about when every mod does this? And then, what about busy periods - a new release for example, and the files won't download? It's hard enough to get one file to download, and you need to get 6 - what then?
    What about if Adfly is overloaded despite the fileservers just sitting there? How long does it take before this is more than a "minor inconvenience?"

Because the longer this is put up with, the more liberties will be taken and opposing it will be more difficult. At this rate, we'll be seeing banner ads in game when you play a mod, after filling out 3 surveys to get your download links.

Mods have been made for games for years - but this monetization is new. In itself it's not an issue - but only when it is used responsibly.
    One or 2 ad-supported links and the modders could always just put a donate link here and there, and everyone's happy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

9. Post #369
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    19,640 Posts
    There's a website with Mods and skins for World of Tanks and every link is an adfly link. getting to the main page, Adfly ad you wait 5 seconds to skip, click a link to go to german tank skins, another adFly link

THAT. Is fucking ridiculous
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

10. Post #370
    July 2009
    1,158 Posts
    WOO I got Optifine, GLSL shaders and Sonic's. Now here weee goo- oooh. . .

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 11Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

11. Post #371

July 2010
    2,044 Posts
    Someone fancy explaining how i daisy-chain redstone engines in buildcraft? (apologies if this isnt the correct thread)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

12. Post #372
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    1,655 Posts
    Well here's hoping the adfly links will be considered against the TOS once modding goes official
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Poland Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

13. Post #373
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    1,788 Posts
    Again, I've stated 3 times now that I don't really oppose them getting income. It's never happened before Minecraft but still that's more of a 'surprised it hasn't before' than some sort of opposition to it.

But how many adfly links before you suddenly see them taking the piss? 7? 10? 15? What about when every mod does this? And then, what about busy periods - a new release for example, and the files won't download? It's hard enough to get one file to download, and you need to get 6 - what then?
    What about if Adfly is overloaded despite the fileservers just sitting there? How long does it take before this is more than a "minor inconvenience?"

Because the longer this is put up with, the more liberties will be taken and opposing it will be more difficult. At this rate, we'll be seeing banner ads in game when you play a mod, after filling out 3 surveys to get your download links.

Mods have been made for games for years - but this monetization is new. In itself it's not an issue - but only when it is used responsibly.
    One or 2 ad-supported links and the modders could always just put a donate link here and there, and everyone's happy.
    Again, for all I care every mod could use it. I'm pretty sure Adfly have a vast array of safety arrangements to ensure that it can't get overloaded. If it's such an issue people could just as easily download their own copy and make it into a torrent or just upload it to another mirror so others don't have to 'suffer' through it.

You're implying this is going to be what makes modders try and monetize their mods as much as possible when in reality it's a means for them to make a couple of dollars. For the record if any mod ever starts to include surveys it is no longer worth my time and similarly if you have such an issue don't download it.

Monetization of mods is by no means new. UT2004 had community made advert mods, Source games allow people to put adverts in banners, hell, some servers even have trailers on them. People want to make money wherever possible, few people donate. Don't get me wrong, adverts annoy the shit out of me, but switching between tabs on a browser while it counts down is way easier than changing channel because some annoying ass ad is on.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

14. Post #374
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    3,482 Posts
    Does Sonic Ether's mod work with anti-aliasing yet?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

15. Post #375
    November 2011
    86 Posts
    Quick question: Do clients need to have the mods a server has installed?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #376
    May 2010
    3,915 Posts
    Once I get my computer I'm going to install that neat crazy biome mod and go through a nether portal to a far away mystical land of ponies and mountains.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

17. Post #377
    Has unclosed HTML tags!
    June 2011
    1,926 Posts
    Quick question: Do clients need to have the mods a server has installed?
    Plugins for bukkit, no. Mods such as Buildcraft Flan's planes etc. , Yes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

18. Post #378
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    19,640 Posts
    Zeppelin mod is awesome, just sayin'

19. Post #379
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    3,344 Posts
    It would make my day if Orgesean updated his Deadly Caves mod. Loved that mod so much.

Any other physics mods I find dont allow for the same random collapsing of cavesystems that Deadly caves had, or they make everything else fall down too. I only want caves and such to collapse, not my goddamn house.

Anyone know of a mod that does basically the same thing as deadly caves?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

20. Post #380
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    11,257 Posts
    so i just installed Sonic Ether's Unbelievable Shaders

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 9 (list)

21. Post #381
    September 2011
    5,250 Posts
    RedPower is now released for 1.2.3!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

22. Post #382
    September 2010
    6,624 Posts
    Equivalent Exchange and Technic are both 1.2.3

Edited:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/...-kenshiro-mod/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

23. Post #383
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    4,346 Posts
    The Twilight Forest is incredibly beautiful, even with a standard setup(no texture pack or shader mods).

24. Post #384
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    786 Posts
    Mo' Creatures was updated to 1.2.3

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/...and-stingrays/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

25. Post #385
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    4,346 Posts
    -snip- tested for myself

26. Post #386
    SirCrest is my life, so is yours.
    October 2009
    7,319 Posts
    I'm having some ideas for two mods:

1. A block, that basically lights a whole room. I'm pretty annoyed by the fact if you make a glass sphere, and then put glowstone at the top the floor is still unlit. You could call this an Artificial Sun block or something.

2. A chest, in which you can put redstone and build circuits that actually work.

Would you guys see any use in either of these mods?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

27. Post #387
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    11,523 Posts
    Your second idea would be useful as all hell. It's like a circuit board, I guess?

Anyway, I just installed Redpower on my server. I'd like to make a giant thermopile tower but I have no idea how to make it as efficient as possible. I've already tried doing that but it wouldn't even power one battery block, it also seems there's no amperes running through the wiring... Due to my lack of knowledge in electricity, I have no idea whether volts or amperes powers devices.

28. Post #388
    October 2009
    7,319 Posts
    Amps power it. To get power out of thermopiles you need a temperature difference, the easiest is put water block on 2 sides, lava on the other 2
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Netherlands Show Events

29. Post #389
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    11,523 Posts
    Do the water and lava need to be on the same height as the thermopile or can I put the thermopile on a block?

30. Post #390
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    4,640 Posts
    Same height I believe.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

31. Post #391
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    11,523 Posts
    Damn. Then how do I still wire it up if all four sides are occupied by lava and water?

32. Post #392
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    4,640 Posts
    Maybe they share energy like batboxes do, otherwise you'll have to settle for 3 sides.

33. Post #393
    October 2009
    7,319 Posts
    Take a look at this:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Netherlands Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

34. Post #394
    October 2009
    7,319 Posts
    I've just finished my first mod, and i call it the 'Sun Light' mod. Have this comparision of a regular glowstone block vs. my sun light block:

Regular glowstone:

My Sun Light:

Current crafting recipe:

Right now i'm finishing up the configuration file, and then i'll pack it up and start distributing it.

Oh, and did i mention it uses modloader, and doesn't modify any base classes?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Useful Useful x 2Winner Winner x 2 (list)

35. Post #395
    June 2011
    19 Posts
    Nice and simple mod manager, but french
    http://www.pixe-life.org/pipix
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events

36. Post #396
    October 2009
    7,319 Posts
    My Sun Light Mod is out for Minecraft and Modloader 1.2.3. Will most likely still work once Modloader 1.2.4 comes anyways.

Get it here
    Put the zip file in your mods folder

For the future i have some other ideas planned, such as using a redstone lamp instead of glowstone will make it react to redstone current.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Winner Winner x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

37. Post #397
    I <3 OTTERS~
    Dennab
    July 2011
    9,935 Posts
    Anyone knowing when PureBDcraft is 1.2.4?

38. Post #398
    October 2009
    7,319 Posts
    Modloader 1.2.4 is out, turns out they actually did change something which broke everything.

39. Post #399
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    7,336 Posts
    I've just finished my first mod, and i call it the 'Sun Light' mod. Have this comparision of a regular glowstone block vs. my sun light block:

Regular glowstone:

My Sun Light:

Current crafting recipe:

Right now i'm finishing up the configuration file, and then i'll pack it up and start distributing it.

Oh, and did i mention it uses modloader, and doesn't modify any base classes?
    I always thought a "spotlight" block would be awesome. Doesn't light much of the area to the sides it isn't facing (can be placed to face certain directions like pistons), but where it's pointing the light only falls off 1 light unit every 10 blocks or so instead of 1 block.

40. Post #400
    July 2008
    848 Posts
    I'd love a mod that adds a water block that acts like water did in Classic. I don't want to use Finite Liquids because it replaces the default water or something like that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)