1. Post #81
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    4,330 Posts
    I don't think smacking is the only option, but its acceptable in moderation.
    I agree with this. When I was growing up, if I was bad, I had to stay in the corner. If I was really bad, I would get spanked, but no more than 3 times. And these weren't full force swings, they were just a way to get my attention, and make me feel bad for what I did. Because of this disciplinary act, I turned out to be a perfectly fine, disciplined individual.

2. Post #82
    Official Bro of DD

June 2010
    13,642 Posts
    why?
    it is needed in our schools, current punishment methods dont work at all
    Id way rather get hit than stay in at lunch time or have parents called in or shit like that

3. Post #83
    Fire Fucker
    March 2011
    2,485 Posts
    My parents didn't hit me and I turned out perfectly fine, are you implying that to have a good upbringing and discipline your parents have to hit you?
    My parents hit me and I turned out perfectly fine as well. So it's not like spanking turns children into serial killers.

4. Post #84
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,089 Posts
    You're missing his point. The problem is that constant "small" slaps, just like being hit with a belt, can make a person snap and show extreme hatred for you. You can't expect parents to act rationally, in fact, some of them "punish" you by hitting you firsthand instead of telling you what you've done wrong.
    Looking at someone can make them snap, it entirely depends on the person.

5. Post #85
    "We should allow child labor overseas ...the sweatshop is what is saving the 9 year old worker"
    April 2007
    6,864 Posts
    A good distinction to make is that force can by applied by the parent on a child because that child does not yet claim right to their body. A parent owns a right to homestead their child, but they do not own the child. Through this logic, a parent does not have a right to inflict harm on a child except for the homesteading needs. Getting a shot is nothing a child likes and the process often involves force, yet it is justified. Getting into spanking and other practices really depends on if it is a really valuable way to bring up a child. The simple answer is no.

6. Post #86
    March 2007
    1,936 Posts
    Can a child be well educated without a single corporal punishment? Yes.

I think that sometimes in a very extreme situation a slap can be justified. However if a parent abuses corporal punishment, the child will grow oblivious to it since it's rather "normal" for her to get one or be yelled at when misbehaving.

Personally over my education as a child my mother only slapped me once in the face because I did something very bad. And since it was uncommon for me to receive such treatment, I instantly got in line and thought "well, I really crossed the line this time".

What I'm saying is that corporal punishment is not necessarily bad, but should only be used in case of real emergency!

I think most parents resort to corporal punishment because it's the easiest way to "fix" the immediate problem.

I remember throughout my childhood that my mother never resorted to corporal punishment and when she got mad I would run to the hills. As for my father, it was different, since he was the one arriving home kinda stressed from work, he was most easily irritable and would yell at me easily when I did something bad. However I never really respected him as I respect my mother, because my mother educated me through example and my father through theory witch never corresponded to his actions.
    And I think this is why you see parents with misbehaving kids who beat them and yell at them frequently, yet their kids still don't behave. On the other hand, you have kids treated by parents with no corporal punishment and still misbehave. Why? Because the parents fail to give example.
    Parents must be leaders to be looked up too, and leaders lead through example, otherwise they'll never be respected by their followers (their kids) and the parents will resort to yelling and slapping in their frustration only to further aggravate the situation.

For example: Imagine your father keeps telling you not to leave plates and glasses in the living room, yet, when your father eats in the living room he leaves his plate there and keeps yelling at you every time you forget yours there. Would you feel guilt or regret when he sends you to lift them? No.
    In other terms this even generates anger issues between family members that when pilling up can lead to some conflicts!

So here it is. If you rule by example, your kids will look up to you regardless of your methods. And obviously if they look up to you as a fatherly figure they will seek guidance within your acts and therefore corporal punishment will not be required.

7. Post #87
    March 2010
    5,179 Posts
    Looking at someone can make them snap, it entirely depends on the person.
    It depends on how they were raised actually. If they were constantly hit by factors like aggression and irrationality, then they'll most likely become aggressive and irrational themselves.

8. Post #88
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    41,826 Posts
    It depends on how they were raised actually. If they were constantly hit by factors like aggression and irrationality, then they'll most likely become aggressive and irrational themselves.
    If you're raised being taught that doing bad things = you get hurt instead of learning that doing bad things = wrong, you'll get used to being hurt and then really have no reason to not do bad things anymore.
    And believe it or not, kids are able to learn the difference between right and wrong. If they're having troubles with the concept, it's the parents' fault. (Probably because they're teaching them that hitting is wrong and then hitting them when they disobey) Little kids are so fucking smart, they soak up every little thing like a sponge. If they see the slightest hypocrisy they're going to run with it.

9. Post #89
    Official Bro of DD

June 2010
    13,642 Posts
    I got smacked and shit with a wooden spoon as a kid and it taught me to not get caught doing bad shit rather than teaching me not to do it.

10. Post #90
    Skeepan Member
    September 2007
    3,553 Posts
    When I was younger I would get belted as a punishment for fucking up, and after that first time I never fucked around again. I think it works and that more parents need to practice it, otherwise we'll end up surrounded by dipshit kids who don't know the difference between right and wrong, oh wait we already are. I also think that corporal punishment should be practiced in school for when kids get in severe trouble. If they are in that situation anyway then they are probably not receiving any kind of punishment form their parents, so someone has to give it to them.

11. Post #91
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,130 Posts
    When I was a kid my parents would sometimes spank me if I was doing something wrong. Not too frequently, but it taught me not to do bad shit. Chances are people's parents were hit when they acted up, and most people's parents seem to have turned out alright. In moderation it's perfectly acceptable.

12. Post #92
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    7,747 Posts
    Spanking's fine. Inflicting pain for the sole reason of inflicting pain, not discipline, is wrong.

13. Post #93
    MEGA SENPAI KAWAII UGUU~~ =^_^=
    September 2008
    14,608 Posts
    When I was younger I would get belted as a punishment for fucking up, and after that first time I never fucked around again. I think it works and that more parents need to practice it, otherwise we'll end up surrounded by dipshit kids who don't know the difference between right and wrong, oh wait we already are. I also think that corporal punishment should be practiced in school for when kids get in severe trouble. If they are in that situation anyway then they are probably not receiving any kind of punishment form their parents, so someone has to give it to them.
    Yes, I'm sure if all the arrogant kids today had just been belted when they were younger they wouldn't be so conceited.

14. Post #94
    August 2007
    1,295 Posts
    Corporal punishment should be used as an option of last resort. Quite a few shitheads could be sorted out at my school with a good beating as suspensions and the like don't do anything

15. Post #95

October 2011
    40 Posts
    Hitting A kid will Not make them act better But it will make them More aggresive so then they will do it to there children Sometimes it happens threw a family.

Also if you hit a child for a stupid thing for like dropping a peice of food thats sad
    Parents need to hit or slap there child if like Steal a car :D or break a very important thing of them

I very Dissagree it should not be aloud

16. Post #96
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    41,826 Posts
    I got smacked and shit with a wooden spoon as a kid and it taught me to not get caught doing bad shit rather than teaching me not to do it.
    It also increased your speed.

17. Post #97
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    9,478 Posts
    Hitting A kid will Not make them act better But it will make them More aggresive so then they will do it to there children Sometimes it happens threw a family.
    It depends. Kids who are constantly put under that type of stress (possibly everyday)can develop into troubled individuals, and it won't be the same for someone who is brought up with little spankings in his/her life. But yea I agree that corporal punishment is justified if a child has done a major offense, nothing trivial.

18. Post #98
    May 2011
    2,474 Posts
    When I was younger, I got spanked for fucking up and making really bad decisions. In moderation it teaches right from wrong and helps people. However, when overused it makes the individual agressive or when not used at all the individual thinks they are invincible and can do whatever they want. Because of the lack of discipline this generation is a bunch of punks who tear shit up just because they feel like it.

19. Post #99
    "The superior man understands what is right; the inferior man understands what will sell"
    August 2011
    3,538 Posts
    Yes, there are many kids at my school that never seem to learn even after suspension, etc.

20. Post #100
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    346 Posts
    Violence is such a barbaric type of punishment. I don't know how to teach you any better you so I'm going to hit you really hard, then you'll know that I am stronger than you and it hurts when my hand hits your face. What are you, fucking savages?

21. Post #101
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    4,145 Posts
    Violence is such a barbaric type of punishment. I don't know how to teach you any better you so I'm going to hit you really hard, then you'll know that I am stronger than you and it hurts when my hand hits your face. What are you, fucking savages?
    STOP WITH THE MORAL SUPERIORITY. Believe it or not, you are not some moral GOD that is more learned and enlightened than essentially every society to ever live on the earth for the past millenia.

It's so easy to say something like "violence is a barbaric type of punishment," but what makes it so barbaric?

22. Post #102
    MEGA SENPAI KAWAII UGUU~~ =^_^=
    September 2008
    14,608 Posts
    When I was younger, I got spanked for fucking up and making really bad decisions. In moderation it teaches right from wrong and helps people. However, when overused it makes the individual agressive or when not used at all the individual thinks they are invincible and can do whatever they want. Because of the lack of discipline this generation is a bunch of punks who tear shit up just because they feel like it.
    Pretty big generalization to say that this generation is "a bunch of punks who tear shit up just because they feel like it". You got any actual science to back up that a majority of youths are like this, or are you just talking nonsense?

23. Post #103
    July 2010
    5,124 Posts
    There's a clear line between child abuse and corporal punishment, you know.

24. Post #104
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    6,256 Posts
    Spanking and a slap is different from beating them. Know the distinction and you're good.

25. Post #105
    May 2011
    2,474 Posts
    Pretty big generalization to say that this generation is "a bunch of punks who tear shit up just because they feel like it". You got any actual science to back up that a majority of youths are like this, or are you just talking nonsense?
    High amounts of kids in jail, bullying, vandalism. The list could go on and on.

26. Post #106
    STOP WITH THE MORAL SUPERIORITY. Believe it or not, you are not some moral GOD that is more learned and enlightened than essentially every society to ever live on the earth for the past millenia.

It's so easy to say something like "violence is a barbaric type of punishment," but what makes it so barbaric?
    So instead of having my own morals which I consider superior(because if I thought my morals were worse, I wouldn't even have them) I have to conform to the morals of majority? This is not hivemind, relax pal.

27. Post #107
    Skeepan Member
    September 2007
    3,553 Posts
    So instead of having my own morals which I consider superior(because if I thought my morals were worse, I wouldn't even have them) I have to conform to the morals of majority? This is not hivemind, relax pal.
    Okay so when you're done getting trampled by kids that don't know right from wrong come back

28. Post #108
    Okay so when you're done getting trampled by kids that don't know right from wrong come back
    What is that even supposed to mean?

29. Post #109
    October 2011
    153 Posts
    All I know is, is that whenever my parents told me to go time out, I would just ignore them.

But when the light slapping occurred, I stopped.

These people here either:

1. Lived an extremely sheltered life

2. Never got into any trouble

3. Can't tell the difference between horribly beating your child and giving him a spanking

A kid doesn't give half a shit if you make him sit in a corner for 5 minutes, he is just gonna sit there daydreaming until its over.

30. Post #110
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    6,625 Posts
    I just know someone's going to say that each generation thinks the next generation is worse but seriously, you honestly can't say this generation isn't the dumbest slice of humanity since records began.
    it isn't

31. Post #111
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    41,826 Posts
    Spanking and a slap is different from beating them. Know the distinction and you're good.
    Can you elaborate on the actual difference?

32. Post #112
    I agree with this. When I was growing up, if I was bad, I had to stay in the corner. If I was really bad, I would get spanked, but no more than 3 times. And these weren't full force swings, they were just a way to get my attention, and make me feel bad for what I did. Because of this disciplinary act, I turned out to be a perfectly fine, disciplined individual.
    Hot.

33. Post #113
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    3,150 Posts
    Corporal punishment doesn't automatically means the kid will be beaten senseless 24/7, just sayin'.

34. Post #114
    Ask me about my secret society of Jihadist Mexican Lobsters
    July 2010
    1,244 Posts
    Corporal punishment is the use of physical force as punishment, often used as a form of discipline. Historically, tools such as canes were often used on children, but in recent times it has only become accepted to use ones hands for providing corporal punishment to children. In very recent times corporal punishment has been viewed as ethically unacceptable, and people who do so are shunned by society. But where do you stand on the issue?

I myself support corporal punishment, but only when it is done so just enough force is done to justify the discipline, not something like full on punching a kid in the face or throwing them around like a ragdoll. Something I find acceptable would be a slap to either the backside or the cheek. I myself have had much experience with corporal punishment. As a kid I was well behaved (which my parents affirm) but this was because my dad used corporal punishment on me when I did something silly. I remember one time I completely disrespected my dad (me being silly of course) which led to a slap to my backside, and I was off for much of the day crying in my room and regretting what I had done.

Recently, my dad remarried to someone else and they had kids. My half-brother from this has always been a trouble maker. My dad will rarely use corporal punishment any more, which causes the kid to be rather disruptive and just disrespectful. He can run around the house and call my step mum an idiot, and all she will do is send him to the "naughty corner" of his room for five minutes. Does it stop him from being disruptive? No. He thinks it's a joke and keeps on doing it. One time he was playing with my door opening and closing is repeatedly, and I finally got fed up with him and deliberately (but lightly) closed the door on his fingers. Sure, I got abuse from my step mother for causing pain to the kid, but the kid doesn't play with my door anymore. I believe by using corporal punishment, it sends a clear message to the child to not do something that is unacceptable. Using something such as the "naughty corner" barely works because it doesn't enforce what should be acceptable and what isn't. It's just a minor delay for the child, and he or she is typically too young to understand the point of the "naughty corner".

So where do you stand on the issue?
    I for one believe in Corporal punishment. Your not going to die from a spanking, but your sure as hell not going to do what you did again.

35. Post #115
    July 2010
    5,124 Posts
    Can you elaborate on the actual difference?
    Because a slap isn't beating the shit out of your child, you know.

36. Post #116
    Because a slap isn't beating the shit out of your child, you know.
    A good slap can knock an adult down, it can probably cause some shit for a child.

37. Post #117
    July 2010
    5,124 Posts
    A good slap can knock an adult down, it can probably cause some shit for a child.
    Do you honestly think that someone would slap their kid as hard as possible to deliver corporal punishment? Because that is child abuse.

38. Post #118
    October 2011
    153 Posts
    That just goes to show that people who argue against punishment for children don't understand what the actual punishment is.

Spanking your child doesn't mean getting a baseball bat and beating the shit out of them.

39. Post #119
    That just goes to show that people who argue against punishment for children don't understand what the actual punishment is.

Spanking your child doesn't mean getting a baseball bat and beating the shit out of them.
    People who are for it do not understand that teaching a dog through pain and fear is not a good idea.

40. Post #120
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    4,330 Posts
    I don't really see how that response was useful to the conversation at hand, but I'm gonna ignore it's importance because it made me smile.