1. Post #41
    January 2010
    3,009 Posts
    This really is useful making relays and buttons linking to doors or stairs and signs that change color and all that. It is really a bitch to do them. I mean you have to fudge around the decompiled maps or do it manualy until you piss yourself and start punching the keyboard.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

2. Post #42
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    4,453 Posts
    This really is useful making relays and buttons linking to doors or stairs and signs that change color and all that. It is really a bitch to do them. I mean you have to fudge around the decompiled maps or do it manualy until you piss yourself and start punching the keyboard.
    Once you get the hang of it, it's alright.
    It's setting up the room and organizing a puzzle that gets me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

3. Post #43
    Dog
    What's worse than biting into an apple and finding a dick?
    March 2011
    3,737 Posts
    Tools that everyone can use...

Oh fuck what have you done Valve?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Agree Agree x 6Funny Funny x 1Disagree Disagree x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

4. Post #44
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    4,453 Posts
    Tools that everyone can use...

Oh fuck what have you done Valve?
    OMG only TEH ELL1ET PLZZZ vALLVEEEEE!!!!1
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 11Zing Zing x 1Mapping King Mapping King x 1 (list)

5. Post #45
    Dennab
    August 2011
    3,724 Posts
    If it's not better than hammer then i dont care. If you can play whilst editing then it's good. It might be good for console players. But on otherwise, on the pc, we dont need it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

6. Post #46
    Abused by Girlfriend
    January 2010
    19,029 Posts
    If we can import the maps from this in to hammer, that'd be kickin' rad. Without using a decompiler, that is. I want to work on the actual chamber shape + puzzle in this editor, and just about everything else in hammer (music, lighting, fog, details, other gubbins)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

7. Post #47
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    3,055 Posts
    OMG only TEH ELL1ET PLZZZ vALLVEEEEE!!!!1
    what

While i expect alot of "Nooo teh oobs iwwlss getts teh uploodssss", this looks pretty kick-ass.
    and what

I get that you're trying to be sarcastic but what

8. Post #48
    The Silent Rater
    November 2009
    3,266 Posts
    what

and what

In short, he's saying that we'll probably be annoyed because anyone can now upload poorly made work and say they're great at mapping. Or possibly that we'll think ourselves superior to people who use this editor when it comes out because we use Hammer.

I think.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

9. Post #49
    Dosen't need a bigger avatar
    April 2010
    3,135 Posts
    i'm guessing this won't be on console?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

10. Post #50
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    4,453 Posts
    what

and what

Alot of people get realy annoyed about "Noobs" using and making maps that end up being shitty or just dull. But it's not realy fair to them.

I think this editor will give alot of newbies the chance to see what they can do and move up to hammer when they want to do more. Saying that letting everyone have a go is bad is realy elitest.

i'm guessing this won't be on console?
    I don't know about that, but from those pictures it looks pretty Console-adaptable.

11. Post #51
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    9,263 Posts
    In short, he's saying that we'll probably be annoyed because anyone can now upload poorly made work and say they're great at mapping. Or possibly that we'll think ourselves superior to people who use this editor when it comes out because we use Hammer.

I think.
    Isn't that how people felt before they released Alien Swarm.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #52
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    6,610 Posts
    I see absolutely nothing wrong with this editor. It gives you a quick and easy way to tweak your puzzle. And no doubt it'll have an export to VMF function, so you'll still be able to have all your custom stuff included.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

13. Post #53
    March 2011
    813 Posts
    I dont know what i think about this. It looks like an good idea. But i hope it won't be like a 1000 noob uploads of crappy maps, and i really like how custom maps are made now, it makes us mappers look like pro's :D xP
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #54
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    3,108 Posts
    I have a feeling this thing is going to come out, but It wont be a map you can play, rather, just one that you can make one of those isometric view things and share that with people.
    I have a feeling this will turn out to have too few set pieces to be able to anything without making custom pieces like the alien swarm tileset editor.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #55
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    1,148 Posts
    But i hope it won't be like a 1000 noob uploads of crappy maps.
    How that would differ from Source SDK - mapping?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

16. Post #56
    July 2010
    332 Posts

This better not be what I think it is.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 11Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

17. Post #57
    March 2011
    813 Posts
    How that would differ from Source SDK - mapping?
    hmmm, good point

18. Post #58
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    6,045 Posts

Knowing Valve, they might have just put that in there for comedic value (I hope)

I do wonder how much a turret would cost
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #59
    October 2010
    871 Posts

Rated dumb for the concept, not the messenger.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

20. Post #60
    Clops with bisousbisous daily <3
    December 2010
    9,188 Posts
    And this will instantly destroy the portal two mapping community
    good job valve
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 8 (list)

21. Post #61
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    4,453 Posts
    good job valve
    Overreact more.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #62
    March 2010
    1,028 Posts
    good job valve
    So, custom user content for all platforms destroys the mapping community? Also, i mean, it'll never top Source SDK in terms of detail. If you want simply looking maps, use the (seemingly) easy map editor. If you want a detailed map with custom content to make it unique, use Source SDK. I don't see how whole thing could destroy the mapping community.

23. Post #63
    December 2010
    9,188 Posts
    So, custom user content for all platforms destroys the mapping community? Also, i mean, it'll never top Source SDK in terms of detail. If you want simply looking maps, use the (seemingly) easy map editor. If you want a detailed map with custom content to make it unique, use Source SDK. I don't see how whole thing could destroy the mapping community.
    Creating this streamlined system for publishing maps only made with this new editor will effectively stop players from wanting to go through the trouble to install maps not made with the new editor.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

24. Post #64
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    6,610 Posts
    good job valve
    Trackmania is still around, so why would a similar concept for a puzzle game destroy the community?

25. Post #65
    December 2010
    9,188 Posts
    Trackmania is still around, so why would a similar concept for a puzzle game destroy the community?
    Because you can just as easily access both kinds of tracks made in trackmania.

26. Post #66
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    6,610 Posts
    Because you can just as easily access both kinds of tracks made in trackmania.
    Who's to say Valve won't let you publish externally made maps via the same service that they're offering with this map editor?

27. Post #67
    December 2010
    9,188 Posts
    Who's to say Valve won't let you publish externally made maps via the same service that they're offering with this map editor?
    Valid point.

28. Post #68
    January 2010
    3,009 Posts
    good job valve
    This is just to improve your map. So if you have finished a map in Portal 2 Hammer. You can modify it a bit some more with this program.

29. Post #69
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    6,610 Posts
    This is just to improve your map. So if you have finished a map in Portal 2 Hammer. You can modify it a bit some more with this program.
    Isn't it more the other way around? Where you use this to build a map from scratch.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

30. Post #70
    October 2010
    11,744 Posts

Maybe they give you a set amount of "money" to prevent you from putting too much stuff

just a theory
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

31. Post #71
    January 2010
    3,009 Posts
    Isn't it more the other way around? Where you use this to build a map from scratch.
    |:|Well then explain where will Hammer go? I mean by looking at the picture it looks clearly obvious that you will use this editor to get all the script related stuff in.

32. Post #72
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    3,108 Posts

Don't worry , buttons will be 10% off for the first week, at only $704,780!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Funny Funny x 8 (list)

33. Post #73
    January 2010
    3,009 Posts
    Don't worry , buttons will be 10% off for the first week, at only $704,780!
    Obama Approves?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

34. Post #74
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    1,398 Posts
    I think it's a great idea, especially if console users can get their hands on it and start using it. That's not sarcasm either. If the console scene can finally get some modding capability in it, then I don't see any reason not to do this.

35. Post #75
    Abused by Girlfriend
    January 2010
    19,029 Posts
    Valve are probably going to put in a validation system like Trackmania. Which I'd like.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

36. Post #76
    January 2011
    301 Posts
    I expect their to be a tonne of maps named "THE ESCAPE" -.-
    Seems to be the first idea for quite allot of mappers when they start mapping!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

37. Post #77
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    1,148 Posts
    I think it's a great idea, especially if console users can get their hands on it and start using it. That's not sarcasm either. If the console scene can finally get some modding capability in it, then I don't see any reason not to do this.
    They have little big planet, what else do they need?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

38. Post #78
    September 2011
    675 Posts
    It just looks too easy, like the level editors that come with flash games. Now just connect the dots and bingo. I'm wondering how they're going to do this.

39. Post #79
    October 2010
    11,744 Posts
    Microsoft and Sony would never be up for it

Sony maybe, but with Microsoft there's no way in hell it'll happen

40. Post #80
    March 2010
    1,028 Posts
    Microsoft and Sony would never be up for it

Sony maybe, but with Microsoft there's no way in hell it'll happen
    Well, for Microsoft, maybe, but not for free.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)