1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    15,060 Posts

Three high school friends gain superpowers after making an incredible discovery. Soon, though, they find their lives spinning out of control and their bond tested as they embrace their darker sides.

Looks pretty promising, even though it is similar to past films.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Winner Winner x 20 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    10,024 Posts
    I'm liking it purely because the trailer is the way it is. Not overplaying either the funny or the darker sides.
    Hopefully the film sticks to this, its an interesting concept.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    734 Posts
    Looks like it's gonna be really grim.
    Awesome though.

4. Post #4
    This is -- excuse me -- a DAMN fine cup of coffee.
    August 2008
    8,759 Posts
    The acting is pretty terrible and I can't see this working well unless it's rated R.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 10Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    6,952 Posts
    The first parts of the trailer look like of like a bad add for a video game or something with them reacting to the stuff they do.

After that it looks pretty damn awesome.

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    2,033 Posts
    This looks fantastic. I'm psyched up now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    What's brevity?
    June 2006
    18,647 Posts
    So it's a story about three college kids who gain powerful telekinetics, only for one of the kids to gradually become a supervillain.

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    1,011 Posts
    The first part of the trailer is exactly what I would do if i had those superpowers.

9. Post #9
    Beverage Bandit
    November 2005
    19,204 Posts
    meh
    looks very uninteresting

also the cgi looks laughable at times
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Norway Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    10,024 Posts
    So it's a story about three college kids who gain powerful telekinetics, only for one of the kids to gradually become a supervillain.
    They all gradually start becoming evil/convert to the darkside partially.

"they find their lives spinning out of control and their bond tested as they embrace their darker sides."

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    15,060 Posts
    meh
    looks very uninteresting

also the cgi looks laughable at times
    Well it is a low budget film.

12. Post #12
    January 2008
    694 Posts
    A very original twist for found/first person camera movies.. Looks great!

13. Post #13
    March 2011
    1,823 Posts
    Wow, this actually looks pretty neat.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

14. Post #14
    Stay Rusty
    April 2005
    11,645 Posts
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/chronicle/

What the fuuuuuuuck

I mean yeah I wanted it to be good but I figured there was no way it would end up that way.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

15. Post #15
    May 2008
    1,135 Posts

What the fuuuuuuuck

I mean yeah I wanted it to be good but I figured there was no way it would end up that way.
    five reviews.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

16. Post #16
    Stay Rusty
    April 2005
    11,645 Posts
    Soon it'll be 13 reviews. The other reviews just haven't been added yet but you can read them through the IMDB page. So far only one bad review and one so-so review. And I thought the movie would be total shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    2,831 Posts
    This actually looks like a really good movie, and is more realistic than "Everybody would be a super hero if we got powers" or "everybody would be a super villian"

I think if someone got powers, especially a teenager, they would use it for laughs more than "Hey i'm going to go rescue this guy" or "Hey lets go kill some people"

I also like the idea the director said, "The three boys may appear and some shots together, and one of them would be using their powers to hold the camera" instead of it being like a 4th person actually recording it.

I'm really looking forward to this movie.

edit:
    Glad i decided to search for it instead of making my own topic though.

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    9,855 Posts
    Very excited for Friday

19. Post #19
    January 2012
    117 Posts
    I don't think I could sit through another shaky cam movie.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

20. Post #20
    May 2011
    5,102 Posts

What the fuuuuuuuck

I saw this and had the same reaction- I thought it was gonna be just awful.
    This is both exciting and promising.

21. Post #21
    If someone calls you a whore, salute them!
    July 2007
    13,650 Posts
    I hope that it actually has story and it just won't be an eye candy film.

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    12,243 Posts
    Very interested now.

23. Post #23
    May 2011
    5,102 Posts
    Aaaand down into the 70s it goes. Darn.

24. Post #24
    LA Face and British Booty
    January 2011
    4,707 Posts
    Well, definitely gonna see it now then! Postal seal of approval!

25. Post #25
    Ex-Least Respected Usergroup
    June 2007
    7,037 Posts
    Seeing it tonight, am looking forward to it after these more positive reviews. From the trailer expected below 50% .

26. Post #26
    Gold Member

August 2007
    2,956 Posts
    Misfits meets cloverfield, didn't think it'd actually get good reviews, I just thought it'd be an average mindless film.

27. Post #27
    April 2010
    2,387 Posts
    Aaaand down into the 70s it goes. Darn.
    It's back up to 86!

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    8,287 Posts
    Why haven't I heard of this? Actually looks good.

29. Post #29
    Ex-Least Respected Usergroup
    June 2007
    7,037 Posts
    It's actually pretty good. At first the Shakycam was getting annoying but the main character starts using his power to make it float and get some nice camera shot it really opens up a lot, and the way the filmed the ending sequences    was genius, and I couldn't think of a better way of doing it other than to use the people who would just stop, stare and film the spectacle in front of them   . Some bits could use improving and it felt a bit short, I wanted to know more (this isn't a hint at a sequel though) and wanted a bit more closure around the characters.

But yeah if you get the chance go see it . Best "Superhero" film I've seen in ages.

Edited:

Oh and it's quite dark, a lot more than you expect from the trailer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 7Informative Informative x 2 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    15,060 Posts
    Going to see it this weekend. Good to hear it's getting decent reviews.

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    12,704 Posts
    The movie is really good

at some points the camera gets cloverfield-style motion sickness level for some people but it's really good.

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    8,287 Posts
    Just got home from watching it. Positively surprised, although the ending felt rather rushed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

33. Post #33
    Dennab
    November 2011
    1,860 Posts
    I wasn't expecting it to be like it was, I went to see it with a girl expecting to watch a dumb superhero movie but it actually ended up being really deep and gripping.

Edited:

I also thought it would be like Drive, if you've seen the trailer for Drive; you've seen Drive. Luckily it wasn't like that.

34. Post #34
    Stay Rusty
    April 2005
    11,645 Posts
    Wow that was good. But fuck I wish they had a higher budget/better SFX team. Those flying scenes were so bad lol. I personally don't have any complaints with the ending.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    8,287 Posts
    Wow that was good. But fuck I wish they had a higher budget/better SFX team. Those flying scenes were so bad lol. I personally don't have any complaints with the ending.
    Ye, you could easily tell they were in a harness by how their bodies were positioned in the air.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    April 2010
    2,387 Posts
    I just saw it. I'm pretty surprised it got away with a PG-13 rating. It was really dark, especially in the finale when    Matt impales Andrew with the statue's spear.    That was intense.

Also, I don't think this can be called a superhero movie. There aren't any heroes.

I recommend this film.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Please waste more of your money changing this title again.
    August 2005
    6,672 Posts
    I can't understand the appeal of this.

It just looks so... generic...

But, everyone I know has been really wanting to see it, including my dad, so if I do end up going to see it in the theater, maybe it'll change my mind. All I know is the trailer really left a lot to be wanting.

But, then, this is also skewed by the fact I don't like superpower plots in general. I've yet to see a "superpower" film that I would consider to be "great" - they're just not my thing. The closest I can think of was Watchmen, but that film was such a snorefest, and the only character I even remotely liked was Rorschach - and he didn't have "superpowers" so much as the powers of cynicism.

Man I'm glad I didn't waste money to watch Watchmen in the theater, though...

Edited:

Okay, after watching the trailer in the OP, I will admit that it looks far more interesting than the one I've seen on television. It still doesn't really hold my attention though, running down the generic "oh we're all having fun but one of us starts to abuse their power and turn evil and it's straining our friendship and we're probably going to have fight and stop him" plot.

It's so cliche it's almost painful.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 6Dumb Dumb x 2Zing Zing x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    April 2010
    2,387 Posts
    It's so cliche it's almost painful.
    It's not.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    2,729 Posts
    Rotten tomatoes has never steered me wrong before!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    September 2011
    1,033 Posts
    I just saw this. I really liked it. I read that it was inspired by Akira, and it really shows.