1. Post #81
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    5,525 Posts
    Saw it a couple of days ago. Surprisingly good.

2. Post #82
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2007
    15,299 Posts
       They got over Steve's death way too fast, though.   
    I don't see why people are saying this.    Matt was obviously very upset as he was angry and even hostile towards Andrew, while Andrew had the scene at Steve's grave.   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

3. Post #83
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    6,389 Posts
    I don't see why people are saying this.    Matt was obviously very upset as he was angry and even hostile towards Andrew, while Andrew had the scene at Steve's grave.   
    Also, by that point both those characters were dealing with much bigger issues than    one guy's death. Expecting them to mourn normally considering the circumstances is offbase in my opinion.   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

4. Post #84
    Mombasa's Hubby :3
    October 2008
    3,886 Posts
       I'm not so much talking about the main characters as I am the school. I mean, you'd expect the most popular guy in school would get some kind of memorial or something, 'ya know?   

In fact,    the main characters were the only ones who really handled it the way I was expecting anyone there to.   

5. Post #85
    Ex-Least Respected Usergroup
    June 2007
    7,070 Posts
       I'm not so much talking about the main characters as I am the school. I mean, you'd expect the most popular guy in school would get some kind of memorial or something, 'ya know?   

In fact,    the main characters were the only ones who really handled it the way I was expecting anyone there to.   
    Remember you're seeing the entire film from Andrews camera, as he films it.    He might've not wanted to go to a public place of mourning for him   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

6. Post #86
    October 2008
    3,886 Posts
    Remember you're seeing the entire film from Andrews camera, as he films it.    He might've not wanted to go to a public place of mourning for him   
       Well I'm just saying, when he's walking through the school after Steve died, why was everyone just acting like nothing was wrong? You'd expect people would be sad or something, I don't know. Obviously not everyone, but that scene in the school made it seem like no one knew who he was.   

7. Post #87
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2007
    15,299 Posts
       I don't remember him ever walking through school after Steve died.   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Disagree Disagree x 6Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #88
    V
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    1,257 Posts
    I'm 35 minutes in and damn, having those sort of powers would be amazing. Pretty cool movie so far.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

9. Post #89
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2007
    15,299 Posts
    Dude you're not supposed to have your phone on in the cinema.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Funny Funny x 11Agree Agree x 4Informative Informative x 1 (list)

10. Post #90
    April 2010
    2,421 Posts
    He did. It was the scene when he    pulled out that one guy's teeth and explained in the bathroom how he did it.   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #91
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    8,293 Posts
    I'm 35 minutes in and damn, having those sort of powers would be amazing. Pretty cool movie so far.
    You should watch it in the cinema.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #92
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2007
    15,299 Posts
    You should watch it in the cinema.
    I can't stand watching cams of movies. Quality is so terrible 100% of the time you might as well not bother.

Edited:

He did. It was the scene when he    pulled out that one guy's teeth and explained in the bathroom how he did it.   
       Wasn't that after the party? Steve was still alive.   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

13. Post #93
    V
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    1,257 Posts
    Dude you're not supposed to have your phone on in the cinema.
    Nah, I downloaded it. I was going to watch it in the cinema on Friday. Bought tickets, went to the seats, and it was completely packed. I waited for the next viewing and it was packed too. I got a refund and an extra ticket for the inconvenience.

Finished the movie too. Daaamn.

14. Post #94
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2007
    15,299 Posts
    Nah, I downloaded it.
    I know, I was joking.

15. Post #95
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    12,962 Posts
    Nah, I downloaded it. I was going to watch it in the cinema on Friday. Bought tickets, went to the seats, and it was completely packed. I waited for the next viewing and it was packed too. I got a refund and an extra ticket for the inconvenience.

Finished the movie too. Daaamn.
    I've had to download it because they're not even showing it in the theater in my town, and as far as I know they're not going to. If it does come to town, next week or something, I'm gonna go see it because I feel bad for not paying to watch it. If not, I'll find some way to give the company some form of money, somehow. Damn my theater

16. Post #96
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    5,193 Posts
    I will keep an eye on this. I always like these kind of movies.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #97
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    12,962 Posts
    Wow, that was great. Definitely going to see it in theater if it comes to town. If not I'll try to buy some merch or something.    I was expecting the first thirty minutes or so to be innocent and the rest to be generic fighting, was pleasantly surprised to see that it was all relatively innocent until Andrew finally snapped. It made it feel much more like everything just spiraled out of control.    
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #98
    April 2011
    2,872 Posts
       When he goes to the bully and rips his teeth out   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

19. Post #99
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    1,095 Posts
    The writer of Chronicle answers some questions here: http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment...d_director_of/
    The movie was great! The idea of teenagers getting superpowers and abusing them seemed fairly cliche, but it was pulled off pretty well.

20. Post #100
    April 2010
    2,421 Posts
    The movie was great! The idea of teenagers getting superpowers and abusing them seemed fairly cliche, but it was pulled off pretty well.
    It was pulled off well because it deconstructed the premise that everybody is familiar with. It followed a much more believable progression than "Hurr I have superpowers time to save everybody."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #101
    Pretty sure several of you thought of something like this before. Or dreamt about it happening to you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Singapore Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

22. Post #102
    If someone calls you a whore, salute them!
    July 2007
    13,706 Posts
    The writer of Chronicle answers some questions here: http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment...d_director_of/
    I didn't see it as a movie about super powers. If anything the powers were more for entertainment and a small contributor to Andrew's story. Really, the entire movie was about how a social reject got his buttons pushed too much. He was bound to snap anyway, it was obvious, but the powers just allowed him to do it easier.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #103
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    6,389 Posts
    There is other possible subtext there. Andrew's powers, as great as they are, can't help with his main problems   (screwed up dad and dying mom)   . Andrew's embrace of his powers is like a teen getting deeper and deeper into substance abuse while trying to escape the unhappiness of a crappy life. What happens next?    He turns to crime, like you'd expect an addict to do.   

24. Post #104
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    11,226 Posts
    I feel like I really want more from this movie. I really loved it. I know that a sequel would just be unnecessary but this was just so cool to me.

Maybe a small comic series? I don't how that'd work. I just want more of it.

25. Post #105
    October 2008
    3,886 Posts
    I feel like I really want more from this movie. I really loved it. I know that a sequel would just be unnecessary but this was just so cool to me.

Maybe a small comic series? I don't how that'd work. I just want more of it.
    In the reddit Q&A he confirmed a sequel.

Edited:

Max Landis posted:
    Yes there will may likely be a sequel. No, I'm not going to tell you what happens in it.
    Well mostly confirmed it.

26. Post #106
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    12,962 Posts
    Much, much too short. With the way this movie is, they could have made this 4 hours long and I would have loved it. But at the same time, I don't think that a long movie could have had the same "spiraling rapidly out of control" feeling that this movie accomplished so well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

27. Post #107
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    6,389 Posts
    Yup, I think pacing was very important to why I liked this movie. There were no wasted scenes, nothing was padded.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

28. Post #108
    Hi Jo
    February 2009
    22,874 Posts
    lmao normally I like to read some of the negative reviews for movies to get a little bit of balance

but this one is just terrible

http://www.hollywoodchicago.com/revi...aimlessly-lost

This film’s fanboy ejaculate loves you short time as it spews the buildup of what could be interpreted as a “story” and ultimately ends without one.
    Edited:

its just a lazy review

“Chronicle,” which stars blah, blah and blah with a special appearance by blah (you wouldn’t know these unknowns any way)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

29. Post #109
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    2,888 Posts
    Anyone find the Rated-R script? he talked about it being somewhere on the internet, kinda want to read it.

he said something about Andrew's father gets the spider treatment, im guessing its relating to the spider that andrew messed with.

thats crazy

30. Post #110
    If someone calls you a whore, salute them!
    July 2007
    13,706 Posts
    lmao normally I like to read some of the negative reviews for movies to get a little bit of balance

but this one is just terrible

http://www.hollywoodchicago.com/revi...aimlessly-lost

Edited:

its just a lazy review
    The commentators are even worse.

31. Post #111
    I watched this just the other day.

I quite like it.

32. Post #112
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    6,665 Posts
    Saw it a few days after it came out and I really enjoyed it. I completely saw    Andrew's death    coming from the start of the movie, it was kinda obvious how it would end - that said, it was still incredible despite the ending being quite predictable.

One thing that seemed like a stupid decision to me though was    Andrew's decision to go and rob people for money to buy the medicine to help his mum... if your gonna commit a crime anyway wouldn't it make more sense to locate where the drugs are manufactured or stored, fly your ass over there, and take them directly from the source? I figured he'd go back to the pharmacy at night and rob them of the drugs, but alas he took the stupid option and decided to cause mayhem and pain.   

I love how they put that little spin on the characters too. Normally the abused, 'nice' kid winds up with the good ending, and the popular, well adjusted kid (who's usually a douche) gets the shit end of the stick, but in this case Matt and Steve seemed to be all over the nicer and better guys despite being the people who you'd normally consider right off the bat as a 'popular douchebags'.

33. Post #113
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2007
    15,299 Posts
    One thing that seemed like a stupid decision to me though was    Andrew's decision to go and rob people for money to buy the medicine to help his mum... if your gonna commit a crime anyway wouldn't it make more sense to locate where the drugs are manufactured or stored, fly your ass over there, and take them directly from the source? I figured he'd go back to the pharmacy at night and rob them of the drugs, but alas he took the stupid option and decided to cause mayhem and pain.   
       His mum's drugs weren't the only reason he did all that.   

34. Post #114
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    6,389 Posts
    I think that action is consistent with the character established in the movie.    All three teenagers are shown to use their powers in a way reflecting what 'normal' teenagers might do. None of them is presented as a criminal type, as someone who might be good at coming up with smart schemes of any type. Seriously, if you had those powers and needed money, STEALING is the best you could do? It's as dumb as Spiderman only using his powers to make money as a photographer, only a dumbass teenager would come up with such a low paying way to exploit his abilities. So, since he is a teenager, an angry one at that, it rang true to me. He'd go for the quickest, most direct path- need money=rob local place.   

35. Post #115
    June 2010
    3,168 Posts
    That cave man, it just boggles my mind trying to figure out what that was.

36. Post #116
    January 2010
    3,889 Posts
    Just got back from seeing it a couple of hours ago, really enjoyable to watch although     Steve getting killed     completely took me by surprise,     i expected him to bust out the grave or something after the funeral    
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5Funny Funny x 3 (list)

37. Post #117
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    2,888 Posts
    Just watched it again and I swear I could probably watch it again tommorow without getting bored of it.

38. Post #118
    ultimate poster
    November 2007
    13,531 Posts
    movie was p fuckin rad

39. Post #119
    October 2008
    698 Posts
    The film seemed very rushed at the end. And some of the effects were kinda cheesy looking.

40. Post #120
    Please waste more of your money changing this title again.
    August 2005
    6,726 Posts
    Just saw this with friends.

It was very well written. I really enjoyed the story. It was very organic, especially in character development. Easily one of the better movies I've watched recently, and definitely one of the best movies, in terms of story and character development, released in the past few years.

With that being said, the story was as painfully cliche as I was expecting it to be. Honestly, the only thing that kept me from falling asleep from the point where    Andrew kills Steve    on was the fact that the character development was so fleshed out and well done. After that point, I honestly stopped caring about how the film was going to end, because it was so painfully obvious. I watched it from that point on to see how    the Matt / Andrew dynamic would work out, with Steve gone, Matt having suspicions, and Andrew growing more and more withdrawn.   

The story almost went exactly as I predicted it would.    "Normal" kids find a Deus Ex Machina which in some unexplained way gives them powers. They start out innocent as they learn the extent of their powers, stretching and building up their power muscles (I mean, they even say as much in the film!) And then some sort of trigger happens (I was expecting one of the kids to fall in to and then out of love, but having an abusive father and an overall unhealthy environment [dying mother] is equally generic and cliche) that begins to corrupt one of them, and a series of events unfolds where the corrupted one performs misdeeds which climaxes in one or more of the friends he's grown into his power with stopping him in some fashion.   

Don't get me wrong, guys. I really enjoyed the movie. I'm not trying to point out the fact the plot was so generic it almost bored me to sleep in a way to say the film sucked, because it did not suck, by any means. I mean, the plot was so generic it almost bored me to sleep. Almost being the operative word. The film was able to excel in every other regard such that it was able to not only keep me awake, but keep me interested as well. Having a generic plot doesn't necessarily imply a bad or poorly written story. The story was written and executed absolutely brilliantly. It just so happened that the premise has been done ad nauseum by now.

And in the writers' defense, you can only do so much with a super-power / super-hero film (I don't care what you call it; they never say "super-power" or "super-hero" in the movie, and no one is really a hero, but it's still a super-power / super-hero movie.) I mean, super-power movies basically have a trinity of staples that define it. Without those three staples, it's not really a super-power movie. It's like the fire triangle, really: oxygen, energy, fuel. For super-power movies, the trinity is    Growing into power, trauma leading to corruption of power, climax ending the corruption of power   .

The writers really didn't have much space to move around in. But the space they did have they utilized brilliantly, using every single square centimeter of it, and not letting a single inch go to waste. I would definitely recommend this film to anyone whose a fan of super-powers at all. Even Batman fans would like it. Hell, Batman fans would probably especially like it because of the whole    trauma making main character dark and bitter    thing, and fans of lighter things would probably like it because of the innocent and realistic humor scattered throughout.

I would argue that even people who aren't big into super-power / super-hero movies, such as me, would like it, simply because the characters are so well developed and the story progresses in a very organic manner. If you're not into super-power / super-hero, then don't watch it for that. Watch it for the story, the characters, and the development of both. Chances are you'll still walk out happily appeased.

So, with that being said, if you're on the fence about watching it, I suggest you go watch it. And if it turns out you, for some reason, absolutely dread it, then don't worry - it's barely an hour long, so you don't have long to sit through if it's just not your cup of tea.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)