1. Post #441
    December 2009
    1,615 Posts

Bragging isn't my intention, but, the second half of 2013 wasn't that bad. One fourth place, one 3rd place medal, four 2nd place medals and one 1st place medal.

Gotta go fast
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Slovenia Show Events Winner Winner x 5Funny Funny x 1 (list)

2. Post #442
    January 2013
    41 Posts
    have one on me
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #443
    December 2011
    2,119 Posts
    Got a really painful cramp in the calf after a long distance run today, nothing major though.. do you do much more athletics worm? I've only ever really done running, javelin and a tiny bit of long jump.
    I pretty much only do running. I once did gymnastics and diving, but that was a good 10 years ago.

I've lost all of my flexibility pretty much, which is likely the root of some of my problems. I've started stretching regularly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

4. Post #444
    August 2009
    2,550 Posts
    I need help finding running shoes for less than 80
    Any suggestions?

5. Post #445
    --
    August 2009
    1,950 Posts
    I've been using; http://www.sportsdirect.com/nike-dar...-shoes-121144#

had them for almost 2 years now, slightly worn but still very usable, comfortable and don't really have any complaints.. reckon I've covered close to 2k miles in them.. usually do at least 20 miles a week altogether.. give and take a few weeks where I've rested or been busy.

PB for 5k recently was 21 minutes, easy terrain though and good weather, also I'm running for sport relief with a buddy, we're making a friendly game of it and a few other friends are placing bets on who will win, it's 6 miles. My friend only really plays squash and does the occasional run, but he likes his golf and plays some football every other week hoping I'll beat him as I'll look a bit shite otherwise, I run most days and have done so for over a year now, and selection for the parachute regiment isn't a million years away!

6. Post #446
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    5,601 Posts
    I've just recently started trying to run seriously (I've ran before, but I never really had a goal with it) and I want to eventually run a 5K hopefully in the spring or the summer so I've started training now during the winter. I'm on my 6th week of C25K and I feel like I'm keeping up, but my problem is I can't seem to get over a 9-10 minute mile. Any tips how I can increase my speed so I can get up to snuff?

Also any tips for winter running in general? I've had some problems with the cold getting to my nose and causing it to run mid-run which sometimes messes with my breathing or starts getting all over my face so I have to stop and bleh. Although, that aside, I love running out in the cold and snow!

7. Post #447
    --
    August 2009
    1,950 Posts
    Not sure how to deal with cold, could try a snood or something. When getting speed up, I would sprint say, 100m or so, then jog 100, then repeat for about 2k. Then run as far as you like after. Do that like 2 days a week? Depending on how often you run. Not sure how many days you run, but I run every day and then do a short time trial on a Sunday as a rest thing, 1.5 mile. Though I've been running on and off for a fairly long time.. don't recommend it this early on into training.

Or you could just repeat the route gradually getting faster

Good luck with the 5k..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

8. Post #448
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    3,817 Posts
    How much sugar do you guys have in your diets? I have a high metabolism so weight isn't a problem for me but my sweet tooth is my biggest vice and I have to eat something like chocolate or a bowl of ice cream nearly every night (not to mention 2 cups of coffee a day) and I was just wondering would cutting junkfood like that out of my diet have any effect on my cardio performance?

Obviously these sweets don't have the nutrients for energy and muscle but aside for the sugar I have a fairly healthy diet.

9. Post #449
    --
    August 2009
    1,950 Posts
    hate to sort of spam the thread a bit, but guess I'm trying to help.. I have a stupidly high sugar diet.. my sweet tooth is definitely my weak spot, I'm still running at respectable speeds though. Yeah you'd perform better if you cut it out though. I have months at a time where I'll eat quite a bit of sugar, then months when I eat none and I feel better when I'm not eating any and running is much less of a chore, usually break personal bests etc. (don't include natural sugars in that)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

10. Post #450
    January 2013
    41 Posts
    hate to sort of spam the thread a bit, but guess I'm trying to help.. I have a stupidly high sugar diet.. my sweet tooth is definitely my weak spot, I'm still running at respectable speeds though. Yeah you'd perform better if you cut it out though. I have months at a time where I'll eat quite a bit of sugar, then months when I eat none and I feel better when I'm not eating any and running is much less of a chore, usually break personal bests etc. (don't include natural sugars in that)
    I had no idea sugar intake affected speed. Is it time to ween myself off Mountain Dew?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #451
    FUCK OFF garry, I am a goddamn proud swedish moose, not a fucking british heathen!
    July 2010
    3,100 Posts
    Hey guys, I am going to start doing C25K but I need some stretch exercises I can do outside after the 5 minute warmup.

The area doesn't have any walls or many park benches, so I have to make best of the situatation.

12. Post #452
    August 2009
    1,253 Posts
    Hey, I've been picking up running and sprints recently to improve my endurance for boxing/kickboxing. I've been doing lots of stretches and weighted calf raises but I still managed to get some pain in my shins. I think I might be developing a stress fracture in my right tibia. Any tips on how to prevent this/treat it?
    BTW I've been running and sprinting in reebok ATV 19's if that helps.

13. Post #453
    --
    August 2009
    1,950 Posts
    Could be shin splints, whatever it is my only advice would be to rest a few days and take it a bit easier.. my glutes are pretty painful at the moment, so I'm reluctantly resting for a few days. If you think it could be muscle you might also try compression leggings or something, for muscle pains at least.. not sure how useful it is, might be shite but supposedly work with sore muscles.

14. Post #454
    August 2009
    1,253 Posts
    I can pinpoint a specific spot where there is sharp pain. I'm beginning to think it is indeed a bone pain, especially since my brother got severe stress fractures playing football in high school. Definitely gonna take off from the road work for a bit and see what happens.

15. Post #455
    January 2013
    41 Posts
    I think FP needs a resident physiotherapist
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #456
    December 2011
    2,119 Posts
    Shin splints get better by running more.

17. Post #457
    December 2011
    2,119 Posts
    Indoor's all said and done, time for outdoor training (indoors).

18. Post #458
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    2,935 Posts
    I hate running. I actually hate any form of cardio I think, while I enjoy weights.
    I force myself to run 3km every time I go to the gym because I want to loose weight.
    How can I make myself enjoy it more? Is there a way?

19. Post #459
    --
    August 2009
    1,950 Posts
    Music is something that makes running more enjoyable for me, I quite like running with another person though.. I try not to think about the actual running as it tends to get tedious

20. Post #460
    December 2011
    2,119 Posts
    I hate running. I actually hate any form of cardio I think, while I enjoy weights.
    I force myself to run 3km every time I go to the gym because I want to loose weight.
    How can I make myself enjoy it more? Is there a way?
    It's way more enjoyable if you're super lean / skinny and don't have a lot of weight to carry.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

21. Post #461
    August 2009
    1,253 Posts
    Not really relevant if you're just running purely for fitness, but I would always motivate myself to run by thinking about how much it would help my conditioning for my sport.

22. Post #462
    --
    August 2009
    1,950 Posts
    I'm near 80kg at 5'11, I run 5k and 10k as well as sprints and I don't hate running the long distances.. it's just something you learn to enjoy I guess

23. Post #463
    Fight until death, shoot until empty.

November 2009
    14,755 Posts
    My mile times have flatlined at seven minutes. This is a problem. My goal is 6:30 -> 6:45 mile. Should I be hitting the leg press more? Obviously my current routine isnt cutting it.

24. Post #464
    December 2011
    2,119 Posts
    My mile times have flatlined at seven minutes. This is a problem. My goal is 6:30 -> 6:45 mile. Should I be hitting the leg press more? Obviously my current routine isnt cutting it.
    Why would the leg press help with the mile? You need to do more cardio.

25. Post #465
    XiP
    March 2014
    19 Posts
    Does anybody have shoe recommendations that provide a lot of cushion? I run on the street and my knees have been hurting lately. I think I need more support in my shoes

26. Post #466
    January 2013
    41 Posts
    ladies

Edited:

just a warning: clicking the picture brings my crotch into glorious fullscreen
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

27. Post #467
    --
    August 2009
    1,950 Posts
    yo

back in november

how did you do quincy?

28. Post #468
    January 2013
    41 Posts
    43.35 in a flat-ish 10k. You?

29. Post #469
    --
    August 2009
    1,950 Posts
    nice, 24.56 in a muddy/steep 5k came first! woo
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

30. Post #470
    December 2005
    1,081 Posts
    Shin splints get better by running more.
    hi
    shin splints here

this is the opposite effect i have

31. Post #471
    January 2013
    41 Posts
    I've set a goal on Run Keeper. I want to run 1000km before January 1st 2015.
    Only 984 km to go.

32. Post #472
    --
    August 2009
    1,950 Posts
    ran 10k for sport relief, got a time of 38.05 which I was pretty happy with, it was steep and a little muddy again in some areas

also raised over 200
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

33. Post #473
    July 2007
    254 Posts

Did Bataan Death March yesterday in the mountains of New Mexico and got 10th place. 26 miles with a 40lb ruck-sack.

I'm the guy on the far right with the big smile.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

34. Post #474
    January 2013
    41 Posts
    Anyone watch / run the London Marathon?

35. Post #475
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    6,346 Posts
    So im in the military and hate running. And im now determined more than ever to get a 9 minute on my 1.5 mile.

But i also want to be able to enjoy my runs. Ive hit that "high" that people talk about around mile 4 or 5, but its always short lived.

Bad news is im also trying to bulk since im a twig. Anyone have some advice on improving one's cardio, while gaining weight steadily?

36. Post #476
    Garry #2 - Electric Boogaloo
    January 2011
    324 Posts
    My track season for school just started. Im a junior and never ran the 400m but I ran one last week and i got a 52.8. I'm on the A team 4x4 now. Anyone have any tips for the 400? Because I probably need some

37. Post #477
    December 2009
    770 Posts
    My track season for school just started. Im a junior and never ran the 400m but I ran one last week and i got a 52.8. I'm on the A team 4x4 now. Anyone have any tips for the 400? Because I probably need some
    This is my go to video

In a nutshell:
    -Go hard in the first 50m.
    Really drive out like you're doing a 100m start. At this point in the race your body is using up stored energy from ATP, so you can go as fast as you want and you won't suffer later on

-Maintain speed/float for the next 150m.
    A lot of people overestimate what floating feels like. It should feel very relaxed yet focused. At this point, I like to gauge myself by using the other competitors. If it looks like someone is struggling to make up the stagger from an inside lane OR if you easily make up the stagger on someone in an outside lane, you can break them later on in the race if you float properly.

-Gradually pick it up at the start of the turn (200m-300m).
    Don't immediately floor it at the 200m mark. Get progressively faster over the entire course of the turn

-Go all out, maintain proper running mechanics, and relax through the pain for the last 100m

52.8 is a really good starting point for someone who has never run the 400m

38. Post #478
    December 2011
    2,119 Posts
    52.8 is pretty damn good for an 400 at the high school level. Do you have someone give you your 200 split? I find it helpful to aim for a 28 for the first 200, and then shoot for something lower for the last 200, which usually ends up being around 26.5.

39. Post #479
    Garry #2 - Electric Boogaloo
    January 2011
    324 Posts
    52.8 is pretty damn good for an 800 at the high school level. Do you have someone give you your 200 split? I find it helpful to aim for a 28 for the first 200, and then shoot for something lower for the last 200, which usually ends up being around 26.5.
    yeah I can get somebody to get my split during the race. Wouldn't the 200m mark be not marked due to the stagger? wouldn't every 200 mark be different for every lane?

40. Post #480
    December 2011
    2,119 Posts
    yeah I can get somebody to get my split during the race. Wouldn't the 200m mark be not marked due to the stagger? wouldn't every 200 mark be different for every lane?
    The 200 mark for each lane should be marked, as the 200 is also staggered.