1. Post #521
    I'm halving my usage of math each week.. but, apparently I'll never be able to quit.
    October 2009
    5,813 Posts
    I went for my first run tonight since March and I've lost so much fitness. I was able to run for 25 minutes with only a few minutes rest and tonight I had to do 1 minute runs with 30 secs walking and was only able to complete 13 minutes. Feels bad man
    It'll build up over time, I did an 800m single run, after a 40min lot of 4m walk 1min run.
    800m dang near killed me.

2. Post #522
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    6,831 Posts
    So I've been trying to run at least two miles every weekday for an upcoming soccer season and I'm wondering if it's more effective to run on a track or to run on grass. Wasn't sure since tracks are made for running but I'll be playing on grass.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

3. Post #523
    December 2011
    2,263 Posts
    So I've been trying to run at least two miles every weekday for an upcoming soccer season and I'm wondering if it's more effective to run on a track or to run on grass. Wasn't sure since tracks are made for running but I'll be playing on grass.
    Running is running pretty much. If you don't want to be bored out of your mind, find a route to run on the roads, or on a trail, or in a park if you live in a city.

4. Post #524
    asdfghjkl;
    October 2008
    3,167 Posts
    so I started running last thursday and I've been doing 2 miles every day since then
    on thursday my time was 30:35 and today (wednesday) I did 22:45. Going to keep pressing on harder until I can get under 14 minutes
    Decided to do it once every other day now because of how much it destroyed me to go every day. My best time is now 18:36
    started a fire fighting course this week, gonna see if i can destroy everyone else at running

5. Post #525
    --
    August 2009
    2,060 Posts
    just about 3 years and around 5000 miles, my nike shoes finally broke.. I would definitely buy them again.

also about 50 squash games in them

6. Post #526
    December 2011
    2,263 Posts
    just about 3 years and around 5000 miles, my nike shoes finally broke.. I would definitely buy them again.

also about 50 squash games in them
    shoes generally should be replaced between 200 and 500 miles (depending on how you run) to prevent injury
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 2 (list)

7. Post #527
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    9,176 Posts
    If you don't want to be bored out of your mind, find a route to run on the roads, or on a trail, or in a park if you live in a city.
    Absolutely agree. My daily route is about 6 miles combined walking and running, it takes me about an hour and fifteen minutes. My backup for shitty/cold/unbearably hot weather is an exercise bike in the basement. Even with my laptop and/or TV, that same hour fifteen on the bike seems like it takes twice as long as running my route with no electronics at all. Time moves so much faster when you're actually covering distance, and you're measuring progress by landmarks passed instead of numbers on your watch.

8. Post #528
    July 2008
    604 Posts
    Done the Severn Bridge half marathon earlier on today (UK)
    In 2 hours 13 mins, my first half marathon event!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

9. Post #529

August 2013
    614 Posts
    I started running today, and I'm going to keep at it every day from now on (except break days when my body is recovering obviously). I used to do short runs for warm ups before I was injured, but now that I am better, I'd like to spend more time running.

My first test run was 1km, and ran as fast as I could keep it up for the whole time.
    After cooling down, I did the same thing, but aiming for 2km. I had to stop at 1.1km, walked 250m, then was able to run the last 650m.

My short term goal for running is to be able to do 3.2 km without stopping. That way I can run my local dojo. It would be a nice warm up, and I'll be going there 8 times a week.

10. Post #530
    December 2012
    781 Posts
    Going to start doing morning runs, fucked my leg though so I could only do it once, but I made it all the way pretty easily. Only question is what is a good quick snack to have considering I'm basically waking up having a drink and going, got hungry as fuck coming back.

11. Post #531
    December 2011
    2,263 Posts
    Going to start doing morning runs, fucked my leg though so I could only do it once, but I made it all the way pretty easily. Only question is what is a good quick snack to have considering I'm basically waking up having a drink and going, got hungry as fuck coming back.
    Smoothie

Banana

Cereal (dry) / Cereal Bar

Eggs on Toast works for me, but I've got a pretty strong stomach

12. Post #532
    December 2012
    781 Posts
    Smoothie

Banana

Cereal (dry) / Cereal Bar

Eggs on Toast works for me, but I've got a pretty strong stomach
    Sounds good thanks, tho could you recommend a brand of smoothie want to avoid sugary crap.

13. Post #533
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    910 Posts
    I've been running for a long time and i've never had any problems whatsoever before. But recently i've started to get really sore around my shinbone. It usually comes when i've been running a couple of times per week and it'll stay sore and uncomfortable until I stop running for a couple of days.

Any idea of what it might be? I've thought about shin splints but aren't those usually acompanied by swelling? Any of you guys have experience with this? If anything i do have tendency to tense up in my legs when i'm running and i've felt better in my shin if i don't tense up too much. However the soreness will stay there it's just not as bad.

14. Post #534
    December 2011
    2,263 Posts
    Sounds good thanks, tho could you recommend a brand of smoothie want to avoid sugary crap.
    probably getting back to you a bit late, but Naked has always worked for me and isn't too sugary.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #535
    --
    August 2009
    2,060 Posts
    ran 2 miles in 13:31 yesterday, fitness has slipped a good way