1. Post #481
    --
    August 2009
    2,004 Posts
    Started training for a duathlon (running and cycling) after resting for a few weeks, having shite eating habits and spending too much time up the pub my 5k time has dipped a fair bit

2. Post #482
    Garry #2 - Electric Boogaloo
    January 2011
    344 Posts
    Well I ran in my meet this morning. I ran the open 200 and the sprint medley relay (100, 100, 200, 400) with me being the 400 leg. I came third in the 200 with a 23.8 which isn't exactly too stellar. But my split for the 400 was a 52.4 which I am happy about. Should relay splits count toward your PR?

3. Post #483

December 2009
    793 Posts
    Well I ran in my meet this morning. I ran the open 200 and the sprint medley relay (100, 100, 200, 400) with me being the 400 leg. I came third in the 200 with a 23.8 which isn't exactly too stellar. But my split for the 400 was a 52.4 which I am happy about. Should relay splits count toward your PR?
    They are not official because of how you have a running start, and if you're running any other leg besides anchor, you also have a slightly longer leg to run depending on the duration of the hand off. However relay splits are a good indicator of your potential in the open event.

4. Post #484
    January 2011
    344 Posts
    They are not official because of how you have a running start, and if you're running any other leg besides anchor, you also have a slightly longer leg to run depending on the duration of the hand off. However relay splits are a good indicator of your potential in the open event.
    Yeah I was in the second leg, and I had to cut in at the 300 mark.

5. Post #485
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    4,959 Posts
    So I did something idiotic.. I said yes to join my buddies in a half-marathon next year(bout 50 km or 5 scandinavian mil) whilst drinking. The thing is that I've only done weightlifting and I have the worst stamina ever.. Me and my buddies are going to be running some days in the week, but I want to finish in a good time. I got some good shoes and going to buy a drink belt. Any tips on how to make me a better runner?

6. Post #486
    September 2009
    12,093 Posts
    This week I'm trying to get back into running every other day. I was running a good 2-3 miles last week, so I'm going to add more distance into it. At the very least, a good 5 miles in running along town.

Edited:

Also, what are your best remedies for preventing or getting rid of side stitches?

I already try to hydrate as a good prevention measure.

7. Post #487
    --
    August 2009
    2,004 Posts
    hands on your head when you're running helps a stitch, leaving longer before running after food too

8. Post #488
    January 2011
    344 Posts
    Ran a 52.2 in the 400 open last week. Woo im improving
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

9. Post #489
    June 2010
    1,045 Posts
    I'ma start jogging tomorrow. Anything I should know? I mean, beyond the basic "bring water/music" "wear suitable clothes" etc. I'm talking breathing techniques/posture

10. Post #490
    September 2009
    12,093 Posts
    Hit a consistent 8 minute pace during my five mile run. Man my legs feel like they're on fire baby

11. Post #491
    January 2011
    344 Posts
    Another update on my 400 times. I pulled a 50.6 relay split out of my ass yesterday. I had so much adrenaline built up by the time I got the baton, and I felt just so good. The only way I am going to ever run anything close to that in an open is if I get that adrenaline rush again. Anyone know a way to get an adrenaline rush before a race?

12. Post #492

December 2009
    793 Posts
    I like listening to music if they allow electronics in the warmup area

13. Post #493
    September 2009
    12,093 Posts
    5 miles in 40 minutes. Time to get faster.

14. Post #494
    December 2011
    2,206 Posts
    States was a few days ago. There was a kid who pulled a 46.77 second leg in the 4x400. He was trying to catch up to another team, who had a kid who also ran sub 50. That race was intense.

15. Post #495
    Killed postal with a fart once.
    December 2007
    6,716 Posts
    So, I'm not even close to fit, so I've been going out for daily runs and stuff since school ended and I have time before everyone gets home. In the beginning I had tons of energy (for me, at least) and was going like five miles per run. Now I can barely get in the mindset to run two. Can anyone give me any tips on shit they might so to just keep going? I'm real fuckin' tired of being the way I am.

16. Post #496
    January 2013
    83 Posts
    So, I'm not even close to fit, so I've been going out for daily runs and stuff since school ended and I have time before everyone gets home. In the beginning I had tons of energy (for me, at least) and was going like five miles per run. Now I can barely get in the mindset to run two. Can anyone give me any tips on shit they might so to just keep going? I'm real fuckin' tired of being the way I am.
    if you're running the same route each time, consider mixing it up

17. Post #497
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    4,959 Posts
    Ran 10km in 1h 07min today, pretty happy with that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Norway Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

18. Post #498
    December 2011
    2,206 Posts
    I ran the color run today and subsequently ruined a hotel shower.

19. Post #499
    Gold Member
    December 2010
    4,733 Posts
    Steady state cardio is shit for fat loss, causes lots of joint stress and raises cortisol levels. http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...e_to_sprinting

Follow this article to start with, theres more on that site for intermediate/advanced sprinters.

20. Post #500
    January 2012
    246 Posts
    I've begun running three weeks ago and feel a lot more comfortable running already and can really feel myself progressing. Though I have been wondering, are you guys doing anything else fitness related next to running(except for having a healthy diet, which I currently am also trying to grow accustomed to)?

I initially began to run to not only to do something for my health, but also to lose some belly fat. Is there anyway to generally accompany the fat-loss with other things like doing push-ups, crunches, squats and the likes on my days off?

21. Post #501
    asdfghjkl;
    October 2008
    3,114 Posts
    so I started running last thursday and I've been doing 2 miles every day since then
    on thursday my time was 30:35 and today (wednesday) I did 22:45. Going to keep pressing on harder until I can get under 14 minutes

Edited:

I've begun running three weeks ago and feel a lot more comfortable running already and can really feel myself progressing. Though I have been wondering, are you guys doing anything else fitness related next to running(except for having a healthy diet, which I currently am also trying to grow accustomed to)?

I initially began to run to not only to do something for my health, but also to lose some belly fat. Is there anyway to generally accompany the fat-loss with other things like doing push-ups, crunches, squats and the likes on my days off?
    Try doing max pushups and situps (until muscle failure) 2/3 times a day each. Also try pullups but you might need to go to the gym for that if you don't have a bar. If you can go to the gym try doing squats as well. (or just http://stronglifts.com/5x5/ if you're dedicated)
    If you're tight on time you can just do some pushups and situps while you use the bathroom in the morning/night like I do, it will hardly take you 5 minutes
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

22. Post #502
    April 2014
    2,964 Posts
    I wanna start C25K

Should I be doing any other exercises while doing it?

23. Post #503
    January 2013
    83 Posts
    Anyone else doing the BUPA great north run? I've been training hard lately because I all but stopped during the exam period.

24. Post #504
    I'm halving my usage of math each week.. but, apparently I'll never be able to quit.
    October 2009
    4,559 Posts
    Does anyone here have/use any of the Fitbit devices?

25. Post #505
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    2,375 Posts
    Does anyone here have/use any of the Fitbit devices?
    I do.

I was on a walk from 9:00 PM to 1:00 AM and I almost got my little bar all filled up, but once it hit midnight it went to a new day and my bar went straight back to zero. Was super pissed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

26. Post #506
    I'm halving my usage of math each week.. but, apparently I'll never be able to quit.
    October 2009
    4,559 Posts
    I do.

I was on a walk from 9:00 PM to 1:00 AM and I almost got my little bar all filled up, but once it hit midnight it went to a new day and my bar went straight back to zero. Was super pissed.
    Hate it when that happens.. I wanted to get home before midnight on Wednesday for that reason, so I pretty much sprinted the last little bit; walked in the door with 35seconds to spare.

I made a Facepunch group on the Fitbit page, you're welcome to join.

27. Post #507
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    6,082 Posts
    Hello runners I have some questions regarding the habit of going for a run.
    I and a friend has decided to beat our bodies into shape trough (to begin with) running 5 days a week, today was the first run and we've made a route with tons of inclines and declines(There's literally no more than a 100m stretch of flat ground) each lap is ~1km

Anyways after 5 of these laps we sprint up and down a hillside until our bodies are basically unable to continue.

After running I puked a good 3 times(though I had felt it coming since the final lap) when can I expect to be able to conquer this feat without puking my guts out afterwards?

things to note:
    - I am a heavy smoker(6 years almost a pack a day when I'm at my worst)
    - I am about 5kgs underweight

We plan to take another run tomorrow

28. Post #508
    July 2013
    322 Posts
    Hello runners I have some questions regarding the habit of going for a run.
    I and a friend has decided to beat our bodies into shape trough (to begin with) running 5 days a week, today was the first run and we've made a route with tons of inclines and declines(There's literally no more than a 100m stretch of flat ground) each lap is ~1km

Anyways after 5 of these laps we sprint up and down a hillside until our bodies are basically unable to continue.

After running I puked a good 3 times(though I had felt it coming since the final lap) when can I expect to be able to conquer this feat without puking my guts out afterwards?

things to note:
    - I am a heavy smoker(6 years almost a pack a day when I'm at my worst)
    - I am about 5kgs underweight

We plan to take another run tomorrow
    Stop when you puke. It should hurt, but not that much.
    Force deep breaths if you feel you're running out of air. Getting your lungs and heart in shape are number 1 priority if you were/are a smoker.
    Hillclimbing practice, for getting into shape? Generally I run level ground, hilclimbing is for building racing muscles which I need during my season.
    Diet-wise, the best thing is plenty of carbs and protein without too much fat.

5k on your first run? Holy fuck, you're dedicated. You have the guts for it. You'll be able to do it if you can convince yourself to keep going.

Also, quitting smoking would be the best thing you can do, if you can't just cut back a bit   

29. Post #509
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    6,082 Posts
    Stop when you puke. It should hurt, but not that much.
    Force deep breaths if you feel you're running out of air. Getting your lungs and heart in shape are number 1 priority if you were/are a smoker.
    Hillclimbing practice, for getting into shape? Generally I run level ground, hilclimbing is for building racing muscles which I need during my season.
    Diet-wise, the best thing is plenty of carbs and protein without too much fat.

5k on your first run? Holy fuck, you're dedicated. You have the guts for it. You'll be able to do it if you can convince yourself to keep going.

Also, quitting smoking would be the best thing you can do, if you can't just cut back a bit   
    We skipped the run today to go to the beach instead(Which I'm willing to deem as exercise)
    My only problems with air is when I mess up my rhythm as I am very prone to side stitch but has found that the exhale/inhale with your left foot advice to work very well for me, so I will sometimes have to skip a breath to maintain it.

I'm not running to be able to do half marathons, I'm running to beat my heart into shape. Me and my friend both find it kind of boring to just run so we went with lots of inclines to be able to cut back on the distance while making it a more intense session.

Also thanks for the dedication remark, though it's not true. me and the Guy I run with have both spend between 6 and 9 month in the army and concluded that the best motivation we're ever gonna have is peer pressure

Though I'm interested in some breakfast ideas that will be more pleasant to puke up, or maybe one that won't want to get up at all.

Also belive me when I say the smoking is an ongoing battle, I beat alcohol into the dirt which I actually found worthwhile and fun while cigarettes are just beyond pointless yet I always come crawling back, they really got me by the balls.

30. Post #510
    January 2013
    83 Posts
    vape it brotha

31. Post #511
    July 2013
    322 Posts
    We skipped the run today to go to the beach instead(Which I'm willing to deem as exercise)

thanks for the dedication remark, though it's not true. me and the Guy I run with have both spend between 6 and 9 month in the army and concluded that the best motivation we're ever gonna have is peer pressure

Though I'm interested in some breakfast ideas that will be more pleasant to puke up, or maybe one that won't want to get up at all.

Also believe me when I say the smoking is an ongoing battle, I beat alcohol into the dirt which I actually found worthwhile and fun while cigarettes are just beyond pointless yet I always come crawling back, they really got me by the balls.
    Well, whether it's peer pressure or not, you seem ready to get in shape.

Better breakfasts? Nothing with dairy if you don't want to vomit rancid milk. Nothing too heavy/sugary or it'll want to come up easier. If you can, run at least an hour after eating.

Getting stitches can be beaten by stretching/sit-ups before a run, proper running technique/breathing during a run, and proper cool-downs after a run. And since the idea is to get your lungs in shape,
    Quincy is correct, vaping should be better for your health in the long run.

Also, try this if you can: while running with your friends, try to hold a conversation with them. Talking while running stresses your lungs to a good level.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #512
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    6,082 Posts
    Well, whether it's peer pressure or not, you seem ready to get in shape.

Better breakfasts? Nothing with dairy if you don't want to vomit rancid milk. Nothing too heavy/sugary or it'll want to come up easier. If you can, run at least an hour after eating.

Getting stitches can be beaten by stretching/sit-ups before a run, proper running technique/breathing during a run, and proper cool-downs after a run. And since the idea is to get your lungs in shape,
    Quincy is correct, vaping should be better for your health in the long run.

Also, try this if you can: while running with your friends, try to hold a conversation with them. Talking while running stresses your lungs to a good level.
    Ty for the tips :) sit-up routine will be re employed.

edit:

wohoo fucking progress today:
    - No barfing after 5km, probably thanks to my new dairy free breakfast.
    - No side stitch
    - No breaks save for when I reach my water bottle at the top of the final hill of a lap
    - Feeling somewhat drugged now that I've caught my breath
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

33. Post #513
    --
    August 2009
    2,004 Posts
    i've been running a lot recently, hit good form, got 1.5 miles in 8:57

rucksack runs still suck major dick

34. Post #514
    July 2013
    322 Posts
    Ty for the tips :) sit-up routine will be re employed.

edit:

wohoo fucking progress today:
    - No barfing after 5km, probably thanks to my new dairy free breakfast.
    - No side stitch
    - No breaks save for when I reach my water bottle at the top of the final hill of a lap
    - Feeling somewhat drugged now that I've caught my breath
    Hooray! No side stitch, a runner's high, no nausea. You are on your way. Post some times if you can.

35. Post #515
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    6,082 Posts
    Hooray! No side stitch, a runner's high, no nausea. You are on your way. Post some times if you can.
    I don't really know what to post

Except that I have a new found hatred for people not picking up dog shit, having to avoid the same shit 5 times gets kind of annoying, and I will have to avoid it for atleast another month unless I relocate the route or relocate the shit(Which won't happen)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #516
    --
    August 2009
    2,004 Posts
    Yeah, they allow horses on the paths I use when I cycle and run, the owners don't clear up shite so you just got to look disgusted at them every time you see one..