1. Post #1
    October 2010
    740 Posts

Hey there, just outta let you know that this is my first mod that I have have been slowly developing since September, and I think it's about time I let the word out.
    The mod is set in the Half-Life universe, mostly because it's my first mod and I didn't want to get ahead of my self. But I tried making up for it by staying away from the main HL2 plot as much as possible and just using the Half-life universe as a base for the mod's plot.
    Ok, disclaimer over.

Progress:
    -Revamped the sounds (new footsteps,UI sounds,gunshots, explosions,...).
    -Recorded an original soundtrack.
    -Added realistic view bobbing.
    -Removed the crosshair.
    -Added a new weapon and item pick-up system.
    -Added lowering weapon when sprinting.
    -Made the flashlight nonchargeable.
    -Added flashlight battery pick up.
    -Replaced stock v_hands with combine soldier hands.
    -Added new, more realistic looking muzzle flashes.
    -Added muzzle flash lighting (dlight)
    -Replaced the stock blood decals with more realistic ones.
    -Added Source Shader Editor support.
    -Added new detail sprites and blend materials.
    -Heavily modified weapon and npc values for more realistic and challenging gameplay.
    -Added a lantern styled flashlight.
    -Implemented dynamic render-to-texture shadow angles.
    -Implemented ironsights.
    -Added a new save system ( la Amnesia, Cry of Fear, etc.)
    -Added a new prop/item interaction system ( la Amnesia, Penumbra)
    -Added a new player death animation.
    -Replaced the stock shotgun with the KS-23.

Team:
    Zay333
    Nukedrabbit95
    Yourself
    SMasters
    Orange_Tomato

Beta Testers:
    TheLegendary

Special Thanks:
    Juniez

Other Stuff:
    Main menu theme:
    http://soundcloud.com/planineknejc/new-hope-6/s-9zgYA

Death ahead:
    http://soundcloud.com/planineknejc/death-ahead/s-VP19T

Danger close:
    http://soundcloud.com/planineknejc/danger-close/s-MGp51

Moddb page:
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/nox-aeterna

Poster:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Slovenia Show Events Winner Winner x 58Artistic Artistic x 3Funny Funny x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    11,029 Posts
    I like the concept, althrough it sounds a bit unbelivable judging by the fact that Trnovlje is literary right next to Celje, which is one of the bigger cities in that part of Slovenia.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Croatia Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

3. Post #3
    Dennab
    February 2010
    1,404 Posts
    what is it with psychological horror mods

i swear there are hundreds of them out there. not to insult this because it looks ace but god it's almost as if people are trying to cash in on mods like nightmare house or afraid of monsters and don't have to worry about balancing out gameplay.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 France Show Events Agree Agree x 21Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    4,394 Posts
    Looks nice, I'll play it as long as it doesn't focus too much on zombies again. We've had thousands of Headcrab zombie mods.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

5. Post #5
    May 2011
    2,700 Posts
    I hope you don't get too many weapons IMO it destroys the atmosphere when you got 20 weapons and 10 of them are heavy machine rocket naders.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 17 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    8,013 Posts
    In source it's either zombies or psychological horror, all other mods are either cancelled or delayed to eternity.

Edit: Talking about mods with actual singleplayer content here.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    October 2010
    740 Posts
    I hope you don't get too many weapons IMO it destroys the atmosphere when you got 20 weapons and 10 of them are heavy machine rocket naders.
    There will be a total of 3 weapons in game. The player will be weaponless and defenseless for good chunk of the game because, it's being defensless that makes a horror game scary. But I'll have to make sure the gameplay is balanced (not irritating,boring,...).

what is it with psychological horror mods

i swear there are hundreds of them out there. not to insult this because it looks ace but god it's almost as if people are trying to cash in on mods like nightmare house or afraid of monsters and don't have to worry about balancing out gameplay.
    Even though I've never played either of those mods I'm trying as hard as I can for NoxA to not just be another "scary" mod with lazy jump scares and what not.

I like the concept, althrough it sounds a bit unbelivable judging by the fact that Trnovlje is literary right next to Celje, which is one of the bigger cities in that part of Slovenia.
    I actually live in Trnovlje. The town in the mod has the same name only because I needed a name. The real Trnovlje is greatly different and less exaggerated, but it is similar in many places mostly because I took a lot of inspiration from the local abandoned houses.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Slovenia Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

8. Post #8
    December 2009
    304 Posts
    Ooh, dis gon' be good. I'll be checking up on this thread.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    June 2010
    336 Posts
    Sounds like a really great mod, I'll play it once it comes out

10. Post #10
    April 2011
    1,385 Posts
    I can't hold all these fucking psychological horror mods.

which do i plaaaaaaaaaaay
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 6Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    OFFICIAL DEAN of MAX PAYNE
    Dennab
    July 2009
    9,002 Posts
    It's really dark.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    581 Posts
    The atmosphere seems terrific. Good work on that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    11,029 Posts
    I actually live in Trnovlje. The town in the mod has the same name only because I needed a name. The real Trnovlje is greatly different and less exaggerated, but it is similar in many places mostly because I took a lot of inspiration from the local abandoned houses.
    Odd, it said you were an American at first. Either way, I think you're potraying the structural desing rather well so far. Hopefully this will grow out in a very popular mod with a unique style.

14. Post #14
    October 2010
    740 Posts
    Odd, it said you were an American at first. Either way, I think you're potraying the structural desing rather well so far. Hopefully this will grow out in a very popular mod with a unique style.
    Yeah I don't know what that's about either.

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    3,766 Posts
    Blarg, please don't call it the "Combine Empire", Combine is just the Human slang term for them, they're actually the Universal Union (As said by Breen). The "soldiers" are the Transhuman arm of Overwatch, which is the military branch of the UU. Combine Soldiers are modified (Hence Transhuman) and brainwashed to be completely loyal to Overwatch/UU. Civil Protection is largely believed to be made of unaltered humans serving the UU to earn benefits that ordinary citizens don't recieve (See Overwatch Announcer's comments during the first chapters of HL2), hence why Barney is able to infiltrate them.

Cool music samples, and cool idea for a mod though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

16. Post #16

July 2008
    5 Posts
    From what i've seen here this mod looks damn well promosing. Jolly good show :D.

17. Post #17
    October 2010
    11,744 Posts
    Odd, it said you were an American at first.
    OP is always shown as American
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    October 2010
    740 Posts
    -snip-

19. Post #19
    October 2010
    740 Posts
    The Moddb page is now up and running: http://www.moddb.com/mods/nox-aeterna
    If anyone gives two shits about it, I would be really glad if you show some support on Moddb and try to get the word out a little more.

Regarding progress, I'm slowly approaching the finish of chapter one, mostly because I'm alone on this.
    So if anyone would like to give me a hand, I would be really grateful.
    I'm primarily looking for a decent programmer (nothing serious just a for some little tweaks and editions here and there) and a modeler (again, nothing serious, a HD remake of a HL2 model at most, but mainly a prop or two), but to be honest, I would be more that happy of any help.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Slovenia Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    September 2011
    675 Posts
    Well, I suppose I can do some tedious mapping work (prop placement, fixing brushes) though my knowledge of actual mapping is limited beyond a room with a few lights and a hallway.

The poster has quite a few grammatical errors, and if you'd like I could fix that up.

21. Post #21
    May 2007
    155 Posts
    I'm really really looking forward to this, please keep up the good work !

22. Post #22
    June 2011
    718 Posts
    Looks great! Can't wait for some early demos, or gameplay!

23. Post #23
    October 2010
    740 Posts
    Hey guys,
    I had everything ready just now, for a little map update but on my last test I noticed that there are lot's of graphical bugs to fix. So instead of just leaving you guys empty handed, I would like to point out that I have just finished modifying some code. So now, the Zombine can only be killed by his own grenade.
    Meaning, it's best to avoid his ass as much a possible.
    Just something I though you guys would love to hear .
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Slovenia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    October 2010
    740 Posts
    Progress!

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Slovenia Show Events Winner Winner x 3Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    TCB
    I AM A FIRE LORD
    December 2009
    9,127 Posts
    Damn, that's

Nice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    8,013 Posts
    It's just... Dark?

27. Post #27
    October 2010
    740 Posts
    It's just... Dark?
    I honestly don't know why it's so dark in screenshots.
    I hate it actually, because the detail and atmosphere gets lost.

28. Post #28
    October 2010
    740 Posts
    Trying to figure out whether or not I should keep the color correction to be enabled when inside.
    It would be of big help to hear your opinions.

29. Post #29
    August 2010
    457 Posts
    I'd say:
    KEEP IT!
    I know you've been told it's "too dark".
    But it's still looks very good, so I don't know why change it.
    Just a bit more detail in those maps and it'll be ok-

30. Post #30
    October 2006
    42 Posts
    Are the ones with the blue tint with Color Correction? I prefer those, personally. Gives more of an alone and isolated feel.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

31. Post #31
    October 2010
    740 Posts
    Are the ones with the blue tint with Color Correction? I prefer those, personally. Gives more of an alone and isolated feel.
    Yes the blue-ish ones are with CC.
    I think I'm just gonna fix up the color correction instead of fully removing it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Slovenia Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    October 2010
    740 Posts
    Nothin' much, just wanted to show off some new blend materials and grass. Just to show that this mod isn't dead (just very slow).

Also please comment, it helps out more than you would think.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Slovenia Show Events Artistic Artistic x 11 (list)

33. Post #33
    Extraction Point
    July 2006
    8,073 Posts
    The grass seems really bright in contrast with everything else.

The light in the third picture is much more yellow than the surrounding area. Shouldnt be entirely blue but some light tinge would be good.

If you need any particle effects I'd be happy to supply them for you, this looks really awesome and I love playing from the combines perspective.

34. Post #34
    October 2010
    740 Posts
    Thanks for the feedback, I'll be sure to send you a PM when I'll need some particle effects to be done!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Slovenia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    October 2006
    42 Posts
    That looks nice, Empty_Shadow pretty much hit the nail on the head, so I don't have anything else to say about it.
    Can't wait to play this, good luck.

36. Post #36
    October 2010
    740 Posts
    Started working on the first chapter a day or so ago and I think it came out pretty good.
    It's not final, but I'm getting there!

37. Post #37
    I love bestiality!
    May 2009
    4,825 Posts
    This mod is coming along nicely.

38. Post #38
    June 2010
    2,424 Posts
    If you're making it all really dark like that, some kind of flashlight battery system could be effective for the survival horror theme. Something like having to collect batteries for it. That's a really good way of making someone feel helpless.

39. Post #39
    September 2011
    675 Posts
    I would actually consider that very frustrating. How are you going to find all those little batteries in the dark? Helpless, not really, but it would make it in to a oh shit oh shit im going to have to search all these crates and shelves for a AA battery ohp my 3 minutes are up time to backtrack over 15 minutes of work. And a

Maybe a sort of crank light or something that makes you vulnerable while operating it.

40. Post #40
    October 2010
    740 Posts
    If you're making it all really dark like that, some kind of flashlight battery system could be effective for the survival horror theme. Something like having to collect batteries for it. That's a really good way of making someone feel helpless.
    There is already a nonchargeable flashlight that operates on batteries in-game!
    It was one of the first features I added to Nox Aeterna.
    Mind you the batteries don't go out in very fast, but if you don't do a little exploring the darkness might get you!

I would actually consider that very frustrating. How are you going to find all those little batteries in the dark? Helpless, not really, but it would make it in to a oh shit oh shit im going to have to search all these crates and shelves for a AA battery ohp my 3 minutes are up time to backtrack over 15 minutes of work. And a

Maybe a sort of crank light or something that makes you vulnerable while operating it.
    A crank light like the one that was in Metro 2033 would be kind of annoying since you don't really shoot you gun that often and you would constantly have to stop your exploring to recharge the flashlight.
    Also it's totally possible to beat the mod without using a flashlight. There is no (and will be no) place in the mod that is absolutely pitch black.

Ps.: The batteries have this little glow that they emit in the darkness, so I guess that would help to.

Also I forgot to mention that I'm removing the auto healing that happens when being attacked by a poison headcrab thus making it more dangerous.
    Since the player isn't Gordon and his almighty HEV suit (making it a pointless enemy one-on-one), but only a normal Combine soldier, the poison headcrab is now one of the most dangerous enemy in NA. So I suggest you keep your distance between you and it.