I'm preparing to make a wall mounted ant farm. Here's the plan.
I've ordered 2 sheets of plastic from here. One is 80mm thick, transparent. One is 40mm thick, bright green. Both around 1200mm by 600mm.
The plan is to buy some lengths of wood, at least 60mmx60mm, route out 2 trenches in it with about 100mm between them. Then mitre the wood up into a frame. Then insert the plastic sheets, fill with dirt and buy a queen ant.
I'll update the thread with progress shots.
I got 3 lengths of wood. I only need two, which is good because one has a big chunk knocked out of it.
Got them clamped in my utility room
Never routed before, so a bit of a test. Successful.
Here's the router bit
I'm using a Dremel Trio
The guide works like this
This is thick enough for the back panel, but I'll have to do 2 runs for the front sheet.
I'm leaving around a centimeter inside between the sheets for the dirt and ants. I'm leaving a space in the back incase I want to add some lighting in future. Not likely because the ants won't like that, but it's there if I decide to tease them.
I'm only sanding down the front channel. This is the only one that's going to be visible.
I'm spraypainting the frame black. I'm going to give it a few coats. But I ran out of paint so I'll have to go fetch some when I fetch the soil tomorrow.
Meanwhile the plastic arrived!
Looks good! Going to leave the protected sheets on for now though, don't want to risk scratching the hell out of the transparent one!
So I cut the frame and screwed it together. I originally planned on using glue, but decided that screws would be better. I had planned to have the top of the frame too - but at the last minute decided to cut the top off straight and come up with another solution. I want the wood at the top to be lighter so I can take it off and on easier. I might leave it open for a bit to see whether the ants would escape anyway.
I filled and sanded the frame, and gave it another spray. It's good enough for me right now.
Because there's only 3 walls the sides pull away from the center, so I'll need to glue the panels in to keep it all together. Maybe. Because it'll be fixed to the wall anyway - so maybe I won't.
The bottom corners are perfect though, so it's all good.
I got it all glued together
All fits together nicely!
Made a bit of a mess with the glue
I screwed it to the wall
To do this I drilled a big hole half way through, then put the screw inside that and screwed through the remaining half of the frame. I'm going to get some bungs for these holes.
From the other direction
Built the lid!