1. Post #121
    July 2011
    139 Posts
    Whenever I am mistreated by customer service reps I try to sympathize by imagining how bad their job must really be.

I mean, this guy sells ants.

Ants.
    whats so bad about lawnmowers?

That is easily a step below "lawnmower salesman" and "horse inseminator" as a job title.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Informative Informative x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

2. Post #122
    The Silent Rater
    November 2009
    3,266 Posts
    I might get a ant farm later on too, although not now because the ants I want (they're easy european ants which don't need shit like a heat lamp and so on) are hibernating, so that'll be around june then.

Edited:

Lasius niger ants to be more precise

Edited:

easiest and most fun box will probably be this

the flat area is where they can dump trash/pick up food.
    Can't go wrong with Lasius niger.
    Lasius flavus is pretty good as well.

Here's my colony at present. Got three queens and about seventy workers. They'll outgrow their test tube early next year and be moved to a proper setup.

And here's a queen who didn't bother moving out of the way during feeding time, so she sat in the lid for a bit.

Pheidole pallidula colony:

Messor barbarus queen peeking out of nest:

Also got a new species of carpenter ant, Camponotus herculeanus- one of the biggest species in Europe. The queen is huge and has just started laying eggs. She has one worker and three eggs.
    It was hard to believe that she actually had wings and managed to fly at one point, because she looks too heavy to get off the ground.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 5Funny Funny x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

3. Post #123
    January 2010
    9,769 Posts
    how long do they usually stay in their tube?

Edited:

also don't some ants prefer to hibernate during winter? I hear you can leave them going about themselves, but it won't be good for them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

4. Post #124
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    9,876 Posts
    This thread makes me really want an Ant Farm, but I think if they got out in my bedroom I would have to torch the place.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 29Funny Funny x 7Winner Winner x 1 (list)

5. Post #125
    The Silent Rater
    November 2009
    3,266 Posts
    how long do they usually stay in their tube?

Edited:

also don't some ants prefer to hibernate during winter? I hear you can leave them going about themselves, but it won't be good for them.
    It largely depends on where they come from, and the species.
    A genus from Britain will hibernate up until Spring, such as Lasius, Myrmica, Formica, Temnothorax and Tetramorium. They enter a dormant state and the queen stops laying eggs, and the larvae will hibernate as well.

Ants in warm countries such as America (Such as Solenopsis invicta, the infamous 'fire ants') do not hibernate either.

Messor, Pheidole and Camponotus are from central Europe, which is warmer. Their activity decreases and they will barely forage, but they stay awake. My Lasius are awake because my room is warm, so the queens are still actively laying eggs.

The test tube question. When you get a newly mated queen, it is best to keep her in a test tube. It should have a small water reservoir behind the cotton at the back, to provide moisture and water. The queen will begin to lay eggs and raise her brood without problems if not disturbed. She feeds her larvae with a nutritious soup that she regurgitates herself, and she will live off energy from her wing muscles, which are broken down as she won't need them.
    I'm missing the point though.
    You can keep them in there for as long as you like, as long as the water supply doesn't run out and as long as it doesn't get too dirty- you especially need to look out for lice and fungus. You can move them out later by putting them in another setup, but you have to be patient- it can take them months to move and the queen is always the one who wants to stay behind. You can always tap them out of course, but it may stress them too much. Stressed ants may eat their own brood, the queen is usually the most prone to doing this in the founding stage.
    I intend to keep mine in test tubes until the colony reaches a good size, then they will have better chances of living. When encouraging a colony to move, its best to be patient and make the new nest seem more desirable than the old one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

6. Post #126
    Someone get TimeNova a "resident amateur ant scientist" title
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Argentina Show Events Winner Winner x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

7. Post #127
    The Silent Rater
    November 2009
    3,266 Posts
    Someone get TimeNova a "resident amateur ant scientist" title
    Are you a mind reader or something?
    I've been told that a few minutes ago.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

8. Post #128
    January 2010
    9,769 Posts
    So the Lasius Niger should just stay awake without any trouble if you keep them at the same temprature?

Edited:

wait, does the lasius niger not hibernate at all? If so it would be the easiest ant ever.

Edited:

oh my GOD

NOT KEEPING THESE

Edited:

There are some real terrifying ants you can buy and keep on antsore.net
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Winner Winner x 4Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #129
    The Silent Rater
    November 2009
    3,266 Posts
    So the Lasius Niger should just stay awake without any trouble if you keep them at the same temprature?

Edited:

wait, does the lasius niger not hibernate at all? If so it would be the easiest ant ever.

Edited:

oh my GOD

NOT KEEPING THESE

Lasius niger does hibernate. What I mean is that you can keep them awake if you like (Although its always best to allow the colony their rest, and the queen will have more energy to put towards egg laying).
    And that's the trap jaw ant, supposedly hard to keep (Not to mention expensive). They catch prey by holding their jaws open and suddenly snapping them shut when it gets close enough.

It belongs to Mymecia, a fascinating genus- because they don't have a queen. Instead they have a fertile worker known as a gamergate, who is responsible for laying eggs. If the gamergate dies, a new one replaces her. You can't tell a gamergate apart from the other workers. Mymecia and Diacamma colonies never grow that big, probably because they don't have a more dedicated fertile female like most species do. In most species, workers are infertile and their eggs become drones if allowed to develop.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 5Winner Winner x 1 (list)

10. Post #130
    January 2010
    9,769 Posts
    holy shit you know a lot.

Edited:

from when to when and under what temprature should I keep Lasius niger in hibernation?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

11. Post #131
    The Silent Rater
    November 2009
    3,266 Posts
    Thank you, I try. Studied them since 2010.
    L.niger will not hibernate above 5C, but they should be kept at above 2C. Subzero temperatures will kill them in hours or days. In these conditions they go to the deepest parts of the nest (Where it's above zero).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 4Winner Winner x 1 (list)

12. Post #132
    January 2010
    9,769 Posts
    I can probably put them inside the fridge then. Only thing that would be a pain is to not let ANY tunnel collapse while moving the farm to the fridge
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

13. Post #133
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    3,810 Posts
    Thank you, I try. Studied them since 2010.
    L.niger will not hibernate above 5C, but they should be kept at above 2C. Subzero temperatures will kill them in hours or days. In these conditions they go to the deepest parts of the nest (Where it's above zero).
    There's a bunch of bugs you can put in the freezer no problem. I wonder why these ants die from it.
    I am no expert and just enjoy reading this thread, but i've done an internship at a pest control company where they did freeze various bugs for later use.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Netherlands Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

14. Post #134
    ReThinkVPS
    July 2011
    190 Posts
    Where did you get the new ants from?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

15. Post #135
    The Silent Rater
    November 2009
    3,266 Posts
    There's a bunch of bugs you can put in the freezer no problem. I wonder why these ants die from it.
    I am no expert and just enjoy reading this thread, but i've done an internship at a pest control company where they did freeze various bugs for later use.
    I put food insects in the freezer for feeding to my ants, its the most humane way of killing them.
    I would rather they died painlessly than get methodically dismembered by the ants whilst still alive.

They probably can't survive subzero temperatures because its usually above zero in their nest. Like most hibernating animals, they sleep all the way through it anyway, whilst ants in warmer countries are able to stay active all year round. I was surprised to find that ants actually sleep at certain intervals in the day, although you most often notice the queen doing this. I've noticed that major, super-major and soldier castes seem to be more vulnerable to the cold than the smaller workers are, their larger size probably means that they need to stay warm in order to have the energy to move. They are not warm blooded, so in the Spring and Summer you will sometimes find colonies exposed under pieces of plastic or metal where they bask underneath it. The warmth speeds up brood development, and it isn't uncommon to find a queen basking in the morning and evening.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

16. Post #136
    August 2011
    72 Posts
    We need a livestream of your ant farm when it's done, Garry.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 11Funny Funny x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

17. Post #137
    Voted WORST Gold Member 2012
    August 2005
    15,769 Posts
    Whenever I am mistreated by customer service reps I try to sympathize by imagining how bad their job must really be.

I mean, this guy sells ants.

Ants.

That is easily a step below "lawnmower salesman" and "horse inseminator" as a job title.
    What are you talking about. When you love your job and do it good every job is respectable.

Also Garry, any updates besides the one on your blog?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

18. Post #138
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    5,055 Posts
    once you put the sand or what ever in, you should put a divider, so they can grow to full strength, then you can pull out the divider then they'll fight
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 7Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

19. Post #139
    January 2012
    29 Posts
    I love the work. I cum.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Informative x 14Funny x 7Artistic x 4Dumb x 3Winner x 3Disagree x 2Zing x 2Optimistic x 2Agree x 2Useful x 2Friendly x 1Late x 1 (list)

20. Post #140
    November 2007
    407 Posts
    How are the ants getting on Garry?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

21. Post #141
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    May 2010
    2,809 Posts
    I like the name for black ants, it makes me laugh because I think lazy ass-niger instead of lasius-niger
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 30Informative Informative x 3Friendly Friendly x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

22. Post #142
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    320 Posts
    Did you ants die garry?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

23. Post #143
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    697 Posts
    I forgot about this thread, any updates?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

24. Post #144

March 2012
    321 Posts
    I forgot about this thread, any updates?
    This.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

25. Post #145
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10
    May 2010
    680 Posts
    Updates Garry?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4Winner Winner x 1 (list)

26. Post #146
    October 2009
    6,412 Posts
    Get some rugs god damn!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

27. Post #147
    A self proclaimed lyrically philosophical physicist
    October 2008
    1,436 Posts
    Clearly the ants have escaped by now and they have taken his household by force.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9Funny Funny x 2Winner Winner x 2 (list)

28. Post #148
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    697 Posts
    Mate with the queen gary! It's the only way they will set you free from your prison built of small twigs and leaves.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4Winner Winner x 1 (list)

29. Post #149
    March 2012
    1,089 Posts
    I never had any good memories with ants.. besides squishing them

On a side note, nice house!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Winner Winner x 1Late Late x 1 (list)

30. Post #150
    asdfghjkl.
    May 2011
    2,149 Posts
    Can we turn this thread into an "Ant Farms" thread? So people can just post in general about them here? I'm considering making one, well, am, when I can get the wood from B&Q, just need to figure out what wood I need to match up the width of an acrylic sheet.

Edited:

Can you buy wood which is already routered? (i really do not know how to phrase this, sorry.)
    If you can, can someone link me?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

31. Post #151
    The Silent Rater
    November 2009
    3,266 Posts
    In that case, I have some content.

Bought a Formica fusca queen last week. She hasn't laid any eggs yet.

My Messor barbarus queen actually left the nest on Friday, which they only do when they're very confident. The workers don't like it, because she risks being snatched away by passing predators.

Then I found her on her back. She seems to be okay, but I've moved the colony to keep a closer eye on things.

If she dies, I think I give up with that species. I've had seven Messor queens with bad luck.

In other news, the Lasius niger have been eating a house fly.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 4Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

32. Post #152
    May 2011
    2,016 Posts
    Hey garry, darling, what happened to the ants, man?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 4Funny Funny x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

33. Post #153
    Absolute tosser, manchild, and belligerent douche-nozzle.
    July 2006
    6,972 Posts

Edited:

Edited:

oh my GOD

NOT KEEPING THESE

Edited:

There are some real terrifying ants you can buy and keep on antsore.net
    Oh lol, those are native to where I live. Fucking horrible bastards. We call them Inch Ants. They sting like all Hell and are a pain to kill.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

34. Post #154
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    14,230 Posts
    I want to see what Garry's ant farms look like now!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Winner Winner x 1 (list)

35. Post #155
    September 2009
    1,280 Posts
    Garry has a gallery of antfarm on Google+
    https://plus.google.com/s/garrynewman

36. Post #156
    February 2012
    746 Posts
    Fuck man, I'm suddenly inspired to dig up some ants again.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

37. Post #157
    August 2012
    14 Posts
    This is nice and all, but I have one question: How the hell do you live with that graffiti thing on the wall? I can imagine going in the middle of the night to the bathroom and freaking out because of a dark silhouette of a little girl...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Latvia Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

38. Post #158
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    May 2010
    2,809 Posts
    I've got a tiny ant farm, It's full to the brim with ants as I found a huge nest and since they was just black ants I could pick them and most of the eggs up.

39. Post #159
    The Silent Rater
    November 2009
    3,266 Posts
    Might as well post some content to those interested.

I had bought another Messor barbarus queen in June from a man in England who got them off someone in Southern Europe. She arrived with nine minor workers, several larvae/pupae too.

After some time the pupae became adults and the queen started laying some eggs. This is when the 17th worker matured:

At some point I gave them a dead cricket to see if they would eat it. To my surprise, about eight workers ran out of the test tube including the queen, and they rushed it before bringing it back in.

About twenty workers. By this time, the queen begins to focus on sleeping and egg laying:

Bigger media worker hanging from the top:

Managed to record them somewhat clearly. Don't mind the queen's inactivity- they spend about nine hours asleep each day, divided into small naps. A media pupa can be seen under the queen:

Some weeks ago I replaced their substrate with lawn topsoil because they weren't digging. They enthusiastically began to dig at a fast pace, and even the queen helped at one point. There's now almost forty workers, and they're still expanding their nest. Each day they bring in loads of seeds which they store in underground granaries.

The first major (Soldier) larva is born, visible at the bottom. The one at the top is possibly one too:

Taken yesterday, they start hauling up soil. Probably want more seed storage space:

They like mixed finch seeds, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, toast crumbs, tropical fish flakes, small dead insects, cooked ham/chicken, and cheese.
    This is the first Messor colony I've had success with. This species is active all year round, so they should be interesting to watch when the others go into hibernation.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 5 (list)

40. Post #160
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    4,806 Posts
    I think Garry is dead and they have figured out how to use facepunch.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 6Agree Agree x 1 (list)