1. Post #281
    Gold Banana
    May 2010
    6,852 Posts
    Why would you quote the entire OP....

and can you provide us with any information, such as addons you have installed and what you mean by not having "a chat"

2. Post #282
    January 2011
    330 Posts
    Seriously, you've been doing this since version 1.0 release:

if Job == 2 then

BuyMenu_FoodList = vgui.Create("DPanelList")
    			BuyMenu_FoodList:SetParent(PropertySheet2)
    			BuyMenu_FoodList:SetSize(400, 1000)
    			BuyMenu_FoodList:SetSpacing(8)
    			BuyMenu_FoodList:EnableHorizontal(false)
    			BuyMenu_FoodList:EnableVerticalScrollbar(true)
    			BuyMenu_FoodList.Paint =  function()
    			end

BuyMenu_FoodPanel = vgui.Create("Panel", BuyMenu_FoodList)
    			BuyMenu_FoodPanel:SetSize(400, FoodItems * 90)

FoodEnum = -1
    		end

Can you, like, not do shit like this? It ticks me off when coders do this stuff like this in a gamemode, release it, and expect the gamemode to become popular.

(snipped of code; full code starting line 630, cl_inventory.lua)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

3. Post #283
    I keep getting these errors. and this is after i shut the server down, delete the gamemode folder, and put everything back in right from the download.

Code:
    17:46:12 "FrankP<2><STEAM_0:1:26117282><>" connected, address "*.*.*.*:27005"
    17:46:12 "FrankP<2><STEAM_0:1:26117282><>" STEAM USERID validated
    17:47:35 Lua Error: ERROR: GAMEMODE:'PlayerInitialSpawn' Failed: [gamemodes\rpg\gamemode\init.lua:306] attempt to perform arithmetic on a nil value // just connected  spawning
    17:47:35 "FrankP<2><STEAM_0:1:26117282><>" entered the game
    17:48:12 Lua Error: [gamemodes\rpg\gamemode\init.lua:2911] attempt to compare number with nil // tried to accept a quest
    and there was also an error at init.lua:1620 about EXPBonus and it happens every payday:

Code:
    17:50:32 Lua Error: ERROR: GAMEMODE:'Think' Failed: [gamemodes\rpg\gamemode\init.lua:1620] attempt to perform arithmetic on field 'EXPBonus' (a nil value)
    Thanks for helping :]

Edited:

just saw this as well :/
    Code:
    17:54:21 "FrankP<2><STEAM_0:1:26117282><>" disconnected (reason "Disconnect by user.")
    17:54:21 Lua Error: ERROR: GAMEMODE:'PlayerDisconnected' Failed: [gamemodes\rpg\gamemode\init.lua:1430] attempt to compare nil with number
    Thanks, I'll look it up.
    What's weird is that none of those errors should even come up, because I've taken precautions not to get nil values anywhere.

Edited:

Seriously, you've been doing this since version 1.0 release:

if Job == 2 then

BuyMenu_FoodList = vgui.Create("DPanelList")
    			BuyMenu_FoodList:SetParent(PropertySheet2)
    			BuyMenu_FoodList:SetSize(400, 1000)
    			BuyMenu_FoodList:SetSpacing(8)
    			BuyMenu_FoodList:EnableHorizontal(false)
    			BuyMenu_FoodList:EnableVerticalScrollbar(true)
    			BuyMenu_FoodList.Paint =  function()
    			end

BuyMenu_FoodPanel = vgui.Create("Panel", BuyMenu_FoodList)
    			BuyMenu_FoodPanel:SetSize(400, FoodItems * 90)

FoodEnum = -1
    		end

Can you, like, not do shit like this? It ticks me off when coders do this stuff like this in a gamemode, release it, and expect the gamemode to become popular.

(snipped of code; full code starting line 630, cl_inventory.lua)
    Talk about being an asshole. If you had read the comment at the top line, you'd know why it's like that.
    What exactly am I doing wrong? Preventing from drawing additional derma panels for people that can't buy something? What's wrong with that?

Edit: Released a small update, which should fix all the bugs found in 1.2.2.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

4. Post #284

January 2012
    3 Posts
    Hey Can you contact me when you get a 2.0 version or something of the gamemode cause this looks like the next perp, anyways if you could email me at crometitan@hotmail.ca Because my friend has a 24/7 server and if we could run this in it with the proper map that would be great thanks -John
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #285
    September 2011
    6 Posts
    Hello, Can you put a system rpname that would change its name in the game. (as darkrp) (sorry its google translation)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 France Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

6. Post #286
    October 2009
    5,853 Posts
    for second time its an CITY RPG the rp features your mos tlikely going to find is the /ooc chat thing etc

7. Post #287
    Casual Bananas
    February 2011
    1,716 Posts
    for second time its an CITY RPG the rp features your mos tlikely going to find is the /ooc chat thing etc
    But I thought RPG meant ROLEPLAYINGgame

Edited:

vv

8. Post #288
    Hello, Can you put a system rpname that would change its name in the game. (as darkrp) (sorry its google translation)
    Yeah, I will add it later.

Edited:

But I thought RPG meant ROLEPLAYINGgame

Edited:

vv
    I thought people were supposed to roleplay in darkrp.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

9. Post #289
    September 2011
    6 Posts
    Thank LEETNOOB

10. Post #290

February 2007
    4 Posts
    Great Gamemode ! But how to unlock the spawn menu ? ( Sorry For my english, i'm french )
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 France Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

11. Post #291
    January 2012
    347 Posts
    Pretty cool, but I feel like there should be some sort of entities, not like over-used money printers but maybe like something you craft that you can interact with in some way? Other than that excellent work on this project.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #292
    Great Gamemode ! But how to unlock the spawn menu ? ( Sorry For my english, i'm french )
    You don't.

13. Post #293
    August 2009
    29 Posts
    You don't.
    But can you? The gamemode may be a bit more "RPish" if you had props.

14. Post #294
    Ah... tits!
    August 2009
    4,415 Posts
    Pretty cool, but I feel like there should be some sort of entities, not like over-used money printers but maybe like something you craft that you can interact with in some way? Other than that excellent work on this project.
    This would be sweet

15. Post #295
    August 2009
    29 Posts
    It needs some type of illegal thing to do like growing weed or having money printers. A new idea of that sort would be nice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

16. Post #296
    GUSTAVGR.COM
    September 2011
    264 Posts
    looks pretty cool

17. Post #297
    January 2011
    330 Posts

Edited:

Talk about being an asshole. If you had read the comment at the top line, you'd know why it's like that.
    What exactly am I doing wrong? Preventing from drawing additional derma panels for people that can't buy something? What's wrong with that?
    Do you really think other people planning on using your gamemode give a fuck that you lost motivation on making an easier-to-use menu?
    Not only is it harder for you to make / edit menus, items, and jobs, it's harder for new owners using this gamemode too.

For example, if you or a server owner decides to remove the job Craftsman and replace it with say, Hitman, you/they would need to (almost) completely remove all the code relating to Craftsman, and replace/add new code relating to the hitman job.

This would happen every time you or an owner replace a job.

Then adding a new job would create even more code, making people find the file(s) that contain the menu code, and add shit manually, resulting in lots of time wasted just on creating a job.

"If server owners don't know how to create derma, then they shouldn't even be running this gamemode." - Possible counter-post by someone

Sure, go ahead and deny server owners the possibility to modify the gamemode besides just adding jobs, without any menus. But if this is how you will respond, then let me ask you two questions:
    1.) Why upload it to garrysmod.org then? http://garrysmod.org is/should be about server owners downloading content from there, uploading to their servers to be more fun and "original". In the case of gamemodes, or even RP/RPG types though, this is an entire gamemode, and should be easy/somewhat easy to modify.
    Did I mention that creating new derma takes time? Unless you're willing to restart the gamemode 20 times to get that label centered on top of that button, (or if you're smart port it into lua/autorun/client) and waste 10 minutes, then be my guest.

Talk about being an asshole.
    I wasn't trying to be an asshole, I was just saying it makes me mad because the way you are doing it is so inefficient.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

18. Post #298
    October 2009
    5,853 Posts
    Do you really think other people planning on using your gamemode give a fuck that you lost motivation on making an easier-to-use menu?
    Not only is it harder for you to make / edit menus, items, and jobs, it's harder for new owners using this gamemode too.

For example, if you or a server owner decides to remove the job Craftsman and replace it with say, Hitman, you/they would need to (almost) completely remove all the code relating to Craftsman, and replace/add new code relating to the hitman job.

This would happen every time you or an owner replace a job.

Then adding a new job would create even more code, making people find the file(s) that contain the menu code, and add shit manually, resulting in lots of time wasted just on creating a job.

"If server owners don't know how to create derma, then they shouldn't even be running this gamemode." - Possible counter-post by someone

Sure, go ahead and deny server owners the possibility to modify the gamemode besides just adding jobs, without any menus. But if this is how you will respond, then let me ask you two questions:
    1.) Why upload it to garrysmod.org then? http://garrysmod.org is/should be about server owners downloading content from there, uploading to their servers to be more fun and "original". In the case of gamemodes, or even RP/RPG types though, this is an entire gamemode, and should be easy/somewhat easy to modify.
    Did I mention that creating new derma takes time? Unless you're willing to restart the gamemode 20 times to get that label centered on top of that button, (or if you're smart port it into lua/autorun/client) and waste 10 minutes, then be my guest.

I wasn't trying to be an asshole, I was just saying it makes me mad because the way you are doing it is so inefficient.

lol no i do readed the code and all you gotta do for a new job is add a new number variable since if im right most of the jobs use a number variable for they jobs( policeman = 4 etc etc ) So yep stop being an asshole and pretending hurrr durrr code is hard this is shit!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Venezuela Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #299
    January 2012
    347 Posts
    I think you are being a bit too critical on the issue, it's his gamemode and he can code it how he wants, if you have a suggestion on how to make his code easier to edit and make it more practical then there are much more polite ways to bring it up.
    Why does it tick you off when a developer want's to code something in his own way? Even if not efficient it is his code and it shouldn't be something to get angry about.

20. Post #300
    May 2010
    1,187 Posts
    I know how you love those nil values Leet so here's another :) bust strangely this one isnt related to your gamemode but causes an external error. yet it is related to the gamemode at the same time
    18:38:12 "FrankP<2><STEAM_0:1:26117282><>" entered the game
    18:38:12 Lua Error: ERROR: Hook 'CheckTimers' Failed: [lua\includes\modules\timer.lua:154] attempt to perform arithmetic on field 'Delay' (a nil value)
    18:38:12 Lua Error: Removing Hook 'CheckTimers'

and incase you arent running a server, here is the entire timer.lua: http://pastebin.com/P5hCk7Nv
    after joining, it said :
    You have been arrested for 0 seconds. As a result, you have lost your job.
    You can type /bail to view your current bail.
    Edited:

and i just saw these appear in the console but idk what from
    18:42:49 Lua Error: ERROR: GAMEMODE:'Think' Failed: [gamemodes\rpg\gamemode\init.lua:1618] attempt to compare nil with number

21. Post #301
    June 2009
    19 Posts
    I know how you love those nil values Leet so here's another :) bust strangely this one isnt related to your gamemode but causes an external error. yet it is related to the gamemode at the same time
    18:38:12 Lua Error: ERROR: Hook 'CheckTimers' Failed: [lua\includes\modules\timer.lua:154] attempt to perform arithmetic on field 'Delay' (a nil value)

and incase you arent running a server, here is the entire timer.lua: http://pastebin.com/P5hCk7Nv
    after joining, it said :

Edited:

18:42:49 Lua Error: ERROR: GAMEMODE:'Think' Failed: [gamemodes\rpg\gamemode\init.lua:1618] attempt to compare nil with number

Same problem to me.

22. Post #302
    January 2012
    98 Posts
    I have a problem.When i start i have no stamina, no hands or weapon,spawn at wrong place.Help me!

23. Post #303

November 2011
    22 Posts
    How can i get the indexs of doors?
    I want to try another map!
    Help!!
    p.s. maybe with in-game console?

24. Post #304
    January 2011
    330 Posts
    lol no i do readed the code and all you gotta do for a new job is add a new number variable since if im right most of the jobs use a number variable for they jobs( policeman = 4 etc etc ) So yep stop being an asshole and pretending hurrr durrr code is hard this is shit!
    Oh shit dude, I had no idea it was that simple. Sorry for being an asshole bro.

lol so i added this to jobs.lua just like u said XD
    RPG_RegisterJob(8, "Hitman", {"models/player/eli.mdl", "models/player/odessa.mdl"}, 950, {"weapon_pistol"}, 5, "You can kill whoever you want, because hitmen never work out.", 5, false)

get it cuz hitmen on servers never work?!

and i must of done this right too - i just "add a new number variable" since u are right, obviously.
    line 740, i added:
    if Job == 8 then
    end

lol but i wasnt sure if i did it all good so just in case i did this too
    after line 1121 i pressed enter and entered this code here:
    if Job == 8 then
    end

and just be 100x percent sure i did this
    line 1146 after end i pressed enter and put in:
    if Job == 8 then
    end

oh but i just noticed:
    line 1867 i pressed enter after end
    then i typed in this:
    if job == 8  then
    end

wow you are smart that was pretty easy but why did i must do that 4 times? :(
    also are u sure i shouldnt of done anything else?
    like cuz line 1145 of cl_inventory.lua there is something in between...
    and same with evrything else too ...
    and i wanted a menu to only show for hitman
    and a hitman tab too but only for hitmen.

why doesnt it work? i listened to you, you genious, you!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

25. Post #305
    Half-Life: Aftermath
    August 2010
    493 Posts
    Fuck me, didn't mean to agree with werewolf on that rating. But yeah, just pointing that out.

Hey LEETNOOB, any chance of Multiple Vehicle in the garage support?

26. Post #306
    Oh shit dude, I had no idea it was that simple. Sorry for being an asshole bro.

lol so i added this to jobs.lua just like u said XD
    RPG_RegisterJob(8, "Hitman", {"models/player/eli.mdl", "models/player/odessa.mdl"}, 950, {"weapon_pistol"}, 5, "You can kill whoever you want, because hitmen never work out.", 5, false)

get it cuz hitmen on servers never work?!

and i must of done this right too - i just "add a new number variable" since u are right, obviously.
    line 740, i added:
    if Job == 8 then
    end

lol but i wasnt sure if i did it all good so just in case i did this too
    after line 1121 i pressed enter and entered this code here:
    if Job == 8 then
    end

and just be 100x percent sure i did this
    line 1146 after end i pressed enter and put in:
    if Job == 8 then
    end

oh but i just noticed:
    line 1867 i pressed enter after end
    then i typed in this:
    if job == 8  then
    end

wow you are smart that was pretty easy but why did i must do that 4 times? :(
    also are u sure i shouldnt of done anything else?
    like cuz line 1145 of cl_inventory.lua there is something in between...
    and same with evrything else too ...
    and i wanted a menu to only show for hitman
    and a hitman tab too but only for hitmen.

why doesnt it work? i listened to you, you genious, you!
    Stop being a dick already. If you want to help then provide some working code that will do everything automatically when you add a new job.

Edited:

after joining, it said :

Edited:

Dicks. Will take a look.
    At times like these I wish my brother would have let me use TortoiseSVN.

Edited:

Fuck me, didn't mean to agree with werewolf on that rating. But yeah, just pointing that out.

Hey LEETNOOB, any chance of Multiple Vehicle in the garage support?
    I will add it later, I guess.

Here's 1.2.2.2. It should fix the rest of the bugs found in 1.2.2

At times like these I wish I had an SVN, but noo, my brother won't let me use TortoiseSVN.

27. Post #307
    Half-Life: Aftermath
    August 2010
    493 Posts
    No wonder, it likes to put shitty folders all over your computer. You could always make a separate user account or use an alternative program? Or have someone else maintain an SVN?

28. Post #308
    January 2012
    347 Posts
    Don't know if it's the latest update or what, but I am having this weird issue with floating items that can't be picked up when dropped
    http://i.imgur.com/KjmVy.jpg

29. Post #309

November 2011
    22 Posts

At times like these I wish I had an SVN, but noo, my brother won't let me use TortoiseSVN.

30. Post #310
    Don't know if it's the latest update or what, but I am having this weird issue with floating items that can't be picked up when dropped
    http://i.imgur.com/KjmVy.jpg
    Missing CS:S content on server.

Edited:

Go to properties.lua.

31. Post #311
    October 2009
    5,853 Posts
    What about setting a dropbox instead of SVN?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Venezuela Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

32. Post #312
    Gold Banana
    May 2010
    6,852 Posts
    Can you use vectors instead of entity indexes? Indexes change when you change the player count.

33. Post #313
    Can you use vectors instead of entity indexes? Indexes change when you change the player count.
    Do you honestly think I did not know of this. It already has code that makes it work regardless of the player count.
    Why would I use vectors?

34. Post #314
    Gold Banana
    May 2010
    6,852 Posts
    Do you honestly think I did not know of this. It already has code that makes it work regardless of the player count.
    Why would I use vectors?
    because I don't know you and haven't looked at the script...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Late Late x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

35. Post #315
    April 2011
    315 Posts
    Couldn't include file 'rpg\gamemode\cl_init.lua' (File not found) (<nowhere>)
    [cpp]
    There was a problem opening the gamemode file 'rpg/gamemode/cl_init.lua'

Is this meant to prevent me using the gamemode because i can see the file already in there or is the coding wrong.

ok i added in cl_init.lua

include("cl_init.lua") now the error changed

Couldn't include file 'rpg\gamemode\init.lua' (File not found) (<nowhere>)
    [cpp]

36. Post #316
    Couldn't include file 'rpg\gamemode\cl_init.lua' (File not found) (<nowhere>)
    [cpp]
    There was a problem opening the gamemode file 'rpg/gamemode/cl_init.lua'

Is this meant to prevent me using the gamemode because i can see the file already in there or is the coding wrong.

ok i added in cl_init.lua

include("cl_init.lua") now the error changed

Couldn't include file 'rpg\gamemode\init.lua' (File not found) (<nowhere>)
    [cpp]
    Did you put the folder "rpg" into your addons folder or something.
    Otherwise, PLEASE do not modify the gamemode if you have no idea what you're doing.

37. Post #317
    January 2012
    9 Posts
    Hey, im new to your gamemode. Is there any way to build or place props?
    It would be awesome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

38. Post #318
    April 2011
    315 Posts
    Ah nevermind i reliased it's my crappy server, Sorry about modifying it without permission i thought that would fix it. Anyways i deleted the old gamemode i messed with and placed the new fresh download. Reinstalled my test server and it's now working.

It's all fixed but i just tested this gamemode before using it on real one

Questions

This gamemode is awesome but as cop how do you unarrest also can you add another admin mod like ulx or will that mess up the gamemode?

Is there a faster way to add people as admin and whitelist?

Suggestion

No offence but the warranting system isn't so good, because if a player attacked a player for self defence that's kind of allowed. I wouldn't say IRL that you can't auto find that murdering, a policemen would have to go get a warrant for that murderer and then arrest him.

The gangster only has a lead pipe could he have hands aswell, IRL i would be scared if someone was with a lead pipe near me.

39. Post #319
    January 2011
    330 Posts
    Stop being a dick already.
    So now I'm the dick for defending myself against retards trying to treat me like I'm stupid?

If you want to help then provide some working code that will do everything automatically when you add a new job
    I haven't ran this gamemode yet, but sure I guess I will go make this easy to use and customize - or at least easier to use.
    Do you mind if I put some code from my gamemode into this?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #320
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    1,362 Posts
    So now I'm the dick for defending myself against retards trying to treat me like I'm stupid?
    You already sounded like a dick from the get-go by letting your anger control the post. 'Defending yourself' really isn't a justification now.

Been looking to write my own RP gamemode for another community, but never did find out how to do chat interception. Time to go digging.