1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    December 2006
    718 Posts
    I want to make a neat little gift for my girlfriend this Christmas. She loves music boxes and Final Fantasy, so I figured I'd see if I can make one to play the "To Zanarkand" music box mp3 I have. The only issue is I have no experience with any kind of crafting other than the limited experience from shitty school projects. I need guidance, if there is an easy way to do it I'm all ears, but if something involves circuit work and whatnot, I might be able to get a friend to help. Does anyone have any idea where I should start? Googling didn't offer an effective solution.

2. Post #2
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    just rig up a speaker to an lm386 amp and hook up a cheap $5 mp3 player to the amps input
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    December 2006
    718 Posts
    How would I have it play when the box is opened?

4. Post #4
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    find an mp3 player that starts playing as soon as you turn it on and rig up a switch for the power button I guess.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    December 2010
    2,178 Posts
    find an mp3 player that starts playing as soon as you turn it on and rig up a switch for the power button I guess.
    This.

You would need a pressure switch, too, one that initiates when released. Rip one out of an old dryer or something, because those only turn off when the door's closed.

6. Post #6
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    I was thinking just a regular normally-on momentary switch sitting somewhere in the box, with a hole drilled above it and a little rod glued to the lid pressing it down until you open it

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    2,198 Posts
    Can always use a simple light sensor. Its gonna be pitch black in the box so when its opened it should start going.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    December 2006
    718 Posts
    I could probably figure out how to do the switch and mp3 player thing. Any idea where I could get my hands on one of the mp3 players that start when they're turned on and an actual switch?

9. Post #9
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    the light sensor is a better idea actually, they're just a variable resistor with a photovoltaic sensor on top. the way you should be doing it it would function like an spst switch

Edited:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photoresistor this is essentially what you would need

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    2,198 Posts
    the light sensor is a better idea actually, they're just a variable resistor with a photovoltaic sensor on top. the way you should be doing it it would function like an spst switch

Edited:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photoresistor this is essentially what you would need
    Oh god, I haven't laughed so much in a long time.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)