1. Post #1
    August 2009
    7,747 Posts

Oh hey I know Rayman, he's that rabbit guy right?
    No! He's not! AT ALL! Rayman is a limbless hero that's been around sense the playstation 1. His first game was a artful platformer taking place in bizarre landscapes using the excuse that Rayman is literally a cartoon character. The game was hard as hell, and unforgiving, yet loved for it's quirky humor and tight platforming, even if you never did see the end of it. After that the series took a darker turn with Rayman 2 which, honestly is on every console ever made, and I'd be surprised if you haven't heard of it, Rayman's colorful land was ravished and drained of life and while fun, a ton of the life from the original vanished, though it never stopped the game from being fantastic. 3 was a return to form but after that the series quickly fell apart into minigames and various other genre's that Rayman frankly didn't belong in. With the wii's launch he was imprisoned by Rabbids, small white rabbits, in a minigame fest and was soon written out of his own title.

Well that's all nice and fine, but what's origins then?
    After vanishing for so long he's finally back with the rabbids nowhere in sight, in Rayman Orgins, Ubisoft has returned to Rayman's roots and the game resembles 1 in terms of gameplay. Rayman and his friends are all having a lazy day around the Glade of Dreams when their obnoxious snoring wakes up a crazy old witch lady who doesn't take kindly to that at all. She awakens a legion of demons and goes after rayman and his friends, taking over the overworld in a fit of rage. Whoops. Gameplay takes place on a 2D plain where you run around hovering with helicopter hair, slapping enemies, jumping puzzles and all sorts of things you'd expect from a certain plumber. The game also brings the difficulty of Rayman 1 with it, though with more kinder checkpoints. The biggest draw though is 4 player drop in and out local co-op, hit or miss as it may be there's no online whatsoever, but if you can gather around 3 other players all four of you can run around New Super Mario Bros style in a race for points. Featuring unlockable colors/skins and all sorts of things to make sure you aren't forced into a character you don't want to be, though they all play the same.

A bit of warning though, you only have one hitpoint so if you get blasted you're dead. You can find heart power ups to keep you alive that act like a shield but that's about it.

Sounds tough, but is it JUST platforming?
    Hell no! You'll have swimming stages (that are actually fun and have amusing synchronized swimming events) and 2D Shoot em' up type levels where you ride a giant Mosquito that can fire pellets at enemies, suck larger enemies up, and fire them like cannon balls. The game also features hidden worlds, unlockable challenges, time trials, and challenge courses where you have to chase down a treasure chest that's fleeing for it's very life. There's plenty to do in each level as well as you look for cages to break open to free Rayman's friends from certain death or... being stuck in cages, which in turn unlock more levels and more characters/skins.

Oh, that's pretty neat then. Is there a demo?
    Yes! In fact there is, right now on XBLA/PSN you can find the demo that features 3 short stages (one of each archtype of platforming, swimming/chase, and SHMUP's)

Oh neat, can I see some more media then?
    Sure you can!

Game releases next week! 11/15
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner x 42Dumb x 8Friendly x 2Optimistic x 1Informative x 1Artistic x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Into The Lasagnaverse
    October 2008
    1,589 Posts
    I fucking love Rayman.
    I really like how this one looks too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    12,580 Posts
    you ride a giant Mosquito
    Bzzit is back? I loved that guy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Ireland Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

4. Post #4
    June 2010
    1,908 Posts
    Nice to see the rabids have not phased him out of existance.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13 (list)

5. Post #5
    August 2009
    7,747 Posts
    Bzzit is back? I loved that guy.
    Yup! All 4 characters ride on him or... rather 3 do, a tiny one carries Globox around and Globox actually shoots projectiles for no given reason other then it's amusing

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    6,383 Posts
    How many Rabids are in it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    964 Posts
    I haven't played any of the Rayman games, but I really do love the art style.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    7,748 Posts
    At least that's the last of the fucking Raving Rabbids games
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13 (list)

9. Post #9
    GET OUT OF OUR CODE YOU FILTHY HACKERS 8-) BITCHES
    July 2009
    3,740 Posts
    I want another game like Rayman 2

It was one of the most immerse games I've ever played

Edited:

Just listen to this and tell me it wasn't amazing
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 16Disagree Disagree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    1,863 Posts
    I feel like way back when they made this character they made him look how he did so animating him would be ridiculously easy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

11. Post #11
    August 2009
    7,747 Posts
    ^Possible, though in turn he had a ton of animations and was really well animated in general. Lots of expressions etc.

As for Rabbids showing up, I'm sure there might be a cameo or something but 0 so far

Also Rayman's always had some pretty swell music. Example

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 6Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2009
    2,583 Posts
    Finally, A Rayman game without those fucking rabbids.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

13. Post #13
    Golden Egg
    June 2010
    846 Posts
    The main reason I've been pumped for Rayman Origins, is because of the UbiART Framework that was developed to create it.
    I really hope more information about this framework is released.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Artistic Artistic x 11Agree Agree x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    October 2010
    11,583 Posts
    Time to play Rayman again.

I haven't played the series for ages.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

15. Post #15
    August 2009
    7,747 Posts
    Time to play Rayman again.

I haven't played the series for ages.
    Warning: Rayman 1 is probably harder then you remember

If that's even what you mean!

16. Post #16
    Dennab
    August 2011
    3,194 Posts
    ^Possible, though in turn he had a ton of animations and was really well animated in general. Lots of expressions etc.

As for Rabbids showing up, I'm sure there might be a cameo or something but 0 so far

That Rayman game was amazing, though I could never for the LIFE of me beat it, not even close.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

17. Post #17
    November 2009
    3,625 Posts
    I remember seeing this at E3, looks amazing
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    6,256 Posts
    Rayman was the shit. I remember that was my first time working with an SDK (yeah yeah I know it wasn't much but I was like 6 years old) when the Rayman Gold level editor released.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    4,037 Posts

Gaaaaah, memories of playing this on the GBA. Nostalgia.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    9,088 Posts
    This reminds me, I still wanna take a purple sweater and a red hoodie and make myself a Rayman hoodie.

Edited:

The one thing I don't like about games like this is that the four players rarely are good. In this game, you get Rayman! and Globox! and... two Teensies? NSMBW gave you Mario and Luigi, and two Toads.

21. Post #21
    February 2011
    2,352 Posts
    It's proving games are art because it has a different aesthetic?

It's kind of ruined because they keep going HEY LOOK OUR ART STYLE IS DIFFERENT ISN'T THAT JUST FUCKING GREAT
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Late Late x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Iggy the mean Piggy
    September 2007
    9,080 Posts
    This reminds me, I still wanna take a purple sweater and a red hoodie and make myself a Rayman hoodie.

Edited:

The one thing I don't like about games like this is that the four players rarely are good. In this game, you get Rayman! and Globox! and... two Teensies? NSMBW gave you Mario and Luigi, and two Toads.
    The hell is NSMBW?

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    5,154 Posts
    The hell is NSMBW?
    New Super Mario Brothers W-something.

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    5,852 Posts
    I think the rabbids redeemed themselves with Rabbids Go Home, but making Rayman and the Rabbids separate was a good move.

BUT how much do you guys wanna bet that one of the unlockable characters is a Rabbid?

This game is wacky as all hell if I go by the demo and trailers, so I wouldn't be surprised.

25. Post #25
    August 2010
    6,943 Posts
    Rayman 2 was the shit, awesome music and levels. Great fun and at times I was fucking scared.

Edited:

I recently replayed the game again and I noticed that the devs had to be stoned as hell to design these worlds.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Luxembourg Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

26. Post #26
    August 2009
    7,747 Posts
    It's proving games are art because it has a different aesthetic?

It's kind of ruined because they keep going HEY LOOK OUR ART STYLE IS DIFFERENT ISN'T THAT JUST FUCKING GREAT
    Kinda taking a joke too seriously pal. Named the thread that because surprise, everything in the game is drawn.

Also the whole UbiART framework (posted above) thing. Lighten up
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    May 2010
    4,632 Posts
    My friend would usually come over to play this with me, we usually switched turns whenever one of us died, ah the rage that ensued during those days.

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    6,645 Posts
    Now if only it came out on a platform I have.

Eh, maybe once it's on the 3DS...

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,483 Posts
    The hell is NSMBW?
    New Super Mario Bros. Wii
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    November 2009
    1,486 Posts
    I played this at eurogamer in september
    fun but at times quite difficult

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    6,082 Posts
    I sadly never got properly aqauinted with the Rayman series, but I played Rayman's lesser known cousin Tonic Trouble recently after digging up the old DVD I got with my Compaq desktop back in '98.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    June 2009
    933 Posts
    I fucking LOVE Rayman, been playing ever single game since the first. Origins is just as awesome and proves that Rayman isn't getting old anytime soon!

33. Post #33
    Appreciates Subtle Titles
    April 2009
    6,789 Posts
    This looks wonderfully timeless.

34. Post #34
    May 2010
    1,526 Posts
    Even though I really love the Rayman series I'm a bit disappointed by the lack of a PC port.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Serbia Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

35. Post #35
    August 2009
    7,747 Posts
    Interestingly IGN just gave the game a 9.5
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    September 2010
    1,624 Posts
    FUCK. ME.
    It is released the same day as Assassin's Creed: Revelations.
    Why do you do this to me Ubisoft?! WHY?!?!?

Edited:

(for the protocol, I will spend too much money considering I'm going to buy both)

37. Post #37
    August 2009
    7,747 Posts
    Adding to the heap of praise is Joystiq who gives it a 5/5 stars

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    11,052 Posts
    I thought we were done with the whole "make op look like I'm answering questions that are being asked instead of just putting a load of info" thing.

39. Post #39
    Silly men accomplish magnificant tasks, the current ammount of womens rear exits that have surrounded my penis makes me confident I will accomplish, shit.
    July 2008
    3,461 Posts
    hnnnghnh... fucking band land and that level with 20 very fucking small platforms you had to jump on

oh the rage

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    12,580 Posts
    The demo is pretty cool, mostly parts from the E3 presentation.