1. Post #281
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    19,680 Posts
    Submitted my track. When is the deadline again?
    20th if I recall correctly.

2. Post #282
    r. panda is a racist and ibuwebu is mai waifu
    Dennab
    May 2006
    12,080 Posts
    Got pretty far on my song. Black Sabbathy.

3. Post #283
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    138 Posts
    ;o Oh, I'll try contribute. If I get enough time. :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Norway Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

4. Post #284
    Captain Armed Dildo, Master of Ratings
    February 2011
    5,346 Posts
    The 20th.
    I gotta find a better soundfont...

5. Post #285
    "We should allow child labor overseas ...the sweatshop is what is saving the 9 year old worker"
    April 2007
    6,864 Posts
    21 entries so far. Looking pretty good.

6. Post #286
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    oh god oh god need to finish my song.........

7. Post #287
    April 2010
    7,442 Posts
    21 entries so far. Looking pretty good.
    Should i work out some liner notes?

Edited:

Also it looks like you have my song title as Holy Helix and the artist name as REM Relapse. It's supposed to be the other way around.

8. Post #288
    February 2011
    5,346 Posts
    I got some nice timpani sounds, now for the bloody bass and snaredrums, what soundfont would you use for them?

9. Post #289
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    2,700 Posts
    I got some nice timpani sounds, now for the bloody bass and snaredrums, what soundfont would you use for them?
    For kick drums(bass drums uncommonly) I would use a kick drum sample.

For snare drums, i would use a snare drum sample.

What's with your obsession with soundfonts

10. Post #290
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    soundfonts suck they sound super-unrealistic

11. Post #291
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    1,456 Posts
    Here's my submission. I sent the wav and the info in a PM to you, Pepin.

12. Post #292
    February 2011
    5,346 Posts
    I'm sorry, but I need to use soundfonts because the program can only use them. I'd play the snare stuff myself (bit rusty, I am though) but I don't have any mics.

13. Post #293
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    2,577 Posts
    I'm sorry, but I need to use soundfonts because the program can only use them. I'd play the snare stuff myself (bit rusty, I am though) but I don't have any mics.
    Soundfonts blow, specially the free ones. Use a VST.

Also sent Pepin my song

14. Post #294
    February 2011
    5,346 Posts
    Ok, then I'll try the basedrum part in cubase.

15. Post #295
    Dennab
    May 2006
    12,080 Posts
    use ezdrummer lol what are you doing

16. Post #296
    "We should allow child labor overseas ...the sweatshop is what is saving the 9 year old worker"
    April 2007
    6,864 Posts
    It can easily be said that there are no good free drum kits. The ones that exist can't compare with the professional ones.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

17. Post #297
    February 2011
    5,346 Posts
    What I'm trying to do has been posted on page 3 or something.

18. Post #298
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    2,700 Posts
    It can easily be said that there are no good free drum kits. The ones that exist can't compare with the professional ones.
    Tbh you can always just cut up known breaks, then layer the kicks with ones from free kits for a good low end, and snares too for some sparkle, then program them without quantisation, use somewhat large velocity changes and switch up some sample occasionally. Then send it all to a bus reverb at appropriate levels, hipass it at 90hz. There, that's my routine. There's ofc compression adn eqing but that's individual for every different sound. And usually I use a bus compressor too.

How2makegoodbreaksfromfreesamples.

19. Post #299
    April 2007
    6,864 Posts
    You can do a lot with samples, you can make them sound real good, but you can't make them sound like someone is playing a real drum kit. Why this is should be pretty obvious. But a big trend now, especially in pop is not ever deal with live drums, which is perfectly fine and much easier to work with.

Dave Pensado had a tutorial on working with drum samples.

20. Post #300
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    2,700 Posts
    You can do a lot with samples, you can make them sound real good, but you can't make them sound like someone is playing a real drum kit. Why this is should be pretty obvious. But a big trend now, especially in pop is not ever deal with live drums, which is perfectly fine and much easier to work with.

Dave Pensado had a tutorial on working with drum samples.
    It is possible to get close to live drums, check out some dj shadow and stuff, but you are right, definitely won't ever sound 100 % real.

I never said they would sound more realistic, maybe natural is a better word. Just trying to say how you can spice up some free samples

Edited:

Good video btw, thanks

21. Post #301
    Dennab
    May 2006
    12,080 Posts
    Ok, I'm going to change the gift for doing bass/guitar on that track of mine and instead, I'm offering the two humble bundle packs as an incentive to Promote this album!

The top two promoters (Those who gets us the most listens from a source (or sources), such as a website or link in a blog) will get One Humble Bundle Introversion Bundle Pack, and you will recieve the whole package since I paid $15 each.

After a week we'll see how many listens we have, we'll check where most of the listens come from and all you have to do is to prove that you linked it in X or at Y and if you've managed to score us a lot of listens, you'll get the pack!
    on top of this I am adding the new humble bundle #4 which includes cave story+ and Bit Trip Runner among others
    http://blog.humblebundle.com/post/14...indie-bundle-4

whoever gets the second most will get something else as well
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

22. Post #302
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    2,692 Posts
    Going to have my tune finished by tonight, I've also got a blog that I can promote the album on.

23. Post #303
    Dennab
    December 2009
    1,739 Posts
    I'm not liking how dead this thread is.

24. Post #304
    February 2011
    5,346 Posts
    I'm not dead like the thread is.

25. Post #305
    April 2007
    6,864 Posts
    That weird, where did the last four days go? I could have sworn I posted something in here.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

26. Post #306
    Walls black like black waters, when they are heavy and seem to belong to other seas
    January 2011
    6,607 Posts
    The thread is holding its breath for Dick's return.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

27. Post #307
    April 2010
    7,442 Posts
    What's the order of the songs? I will begin adding them to the back, and working on linear notes.

Edited:

Here's a sketch of the linear notes.

28. Post #308
    April 2007
    6,864 Posts
    The order is yet to be determined. Tomorrow is the final deadline I believe and I'll probably announce the order the day after.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

29. Post #309
    February 2011
    5,346 Posts
    I guess I'll be in the next collab with the song.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #310
    Dennab
    May 2006
    12,080 Posts
    I will try to finish my song tomorrow, or just submit an old one ):

I still need to think of lyrics ;-; and do all the drum midi shit
    aughhh

31. Post #311
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    195 Posts
    Completed my track just now, but are we still supposed to normalize it to -3 before submission?
    Didn't find anything about that in the OP.

32. Post #312
    Dennab
    May 2006
    12,080 Posts
    I think he's gonna do that himself this time or somethin
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #313
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    probably because you all sucked at it last time.

34. Post #314
    August 2008
    1,264 Posts
    Have we decided on the album art yet? I personally think that the james bond cover would be pretty kickass
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

35. Post #315
    April 2007
    6,864 Posts
    Completed my track just now, but are we still supposed to normalize it to -3 before submission?
    Didn't find anything about that in the OP.
    I'm doing the volume leveling in mastering. Nothing fancy, no compression. The -3db rule is a bit pointless because of this.

36. Post #316
    April 2007
    6,864 Posts
    I wonder if we will be in unison when we hit an octave?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

37. Post #317
    Dennab
    May 2006
    12,080 Posts
    that's a terrible joke

38. Post #318
    Dennab
    December 2009
    1,739 Posts
    that's a terrible joke
    Without jokes life would
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

39. Post #319
    April 2007
    6,864 Posts
    We need to decide on a cover.

Edited:

Vote according to the rating above.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 19Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #320
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    the james bond one is the only one that is actually amusing and not weird or awkward.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)