1. Post #1
    January 2009
    213 Posts
    For the past month or so I have been working on this nameless neighborhood.
    I've come to facepunch looking for suggestions for further additions/changes to the map, so feel free to post any ideas/opinions you have towards the project!
    Some current features:
    - 4 Homes
    - 2 Pools
    - Trees... lots and lots of trees
    - A somewhat hidden concrete room meant to serve as a bomb shelter (though I would like to make it into something more reasonable)
    - Bridge/tunnel for trains
    - Small treehouse
    - Sims 2 textures + models! (Thanks to Corey_Faure for this pack. http://www.facepunch.com/threads/1115905 )
    - Custom foliage models (If you know the author of these models, please let me know so I may give them credit.)

Some ideas/plans:
    - More buildings up on the cliff behind the two large houses
    - More "stuff" inside of the houses

Please leave some suggestions for the map, I still have much to add so feel free to make some major suggestions! (Such as buildings/features that could be added.)

Some known bugs:
    - Crashes near the back corner of house#2 (by the bridge/cliff)
    - Areas of uneven lighting (lighting does not blend well on some faces)

Pics:
    Note that these are somewhat old compared to my current progress, I will likely post any updated images in the thread until I get more done.
    Overview

Overview

View down the creek

View of first two houses

View from the cliff behind the neighborhood

Shot from front porch of house #3

Front of house #1

Front of house #2

Bridge and house #2

Inside of the "bomb shelter"

Back alley + "bomb shelter" entrance

Back of house #2

Back of house #1

Basement of house #2 + bottom of laundry chute

Walk-in closet of house #2 + top of laundry chute

Looking down on the front of house #2

Inside house #2

Inside house #2

Inside house #2

Here is a more recent image:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 25Artistic Artistic x 19Agree Agree x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    4,071 Posts
    Neat map! I love the waterfall. Put some nifty particle effects on it!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Useful Useful x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    TAIWANESE v.2

May 2011
    2,662 Posts
    Nice atmosphere. It reminds me of that Alan Wake game, especially the outside screenshots.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

4. Post #4
    January 2009
    213 Posts
    Yea, I like that atmosphere that I've set up, but I feel that I could change something about it. Someone suggested that I make this into a day map, opinions?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

5. Post #5
    I HAVE A TOASTER FETISH
    July 2009
    3,977 Posts
    HOLY SHNIKES you have some pretty good housing design there
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    July 2011
    255 Posts
    Well rounded map but that last pic is just bleh.

7. Post #7
    December 2010
    1,077 Posts
    Damn, that's beautiful.

Edited:

Except the last picture made me cringe

8. Post #8
    November 2010
    2,885 Posts

Inside house #2
    Those sofas look really weird compared to the ones in cs_office. I guess it's because I've been so used to the ones on cs_office.

Other than that, this map is some awesome shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    1,049 Posts
    Your pools are really sexy
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

10. Post #10
    April 2010
    2,543 Posts
    I want to play this in ttt

11. Post #11
    I make awesome maps that never see the light of day
    January 2007
    7,342 Posts
    Here are some of decent models for modern map, if you want:
    http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/?a=view&id=122972
    Has in example: foliage props and front door for houses.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Finland Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Ask about my EBOLA fetish
    February 2010
    12,422 Posts
    Very nice, though I'm sure people are going to be begging for a day version.

13. Post #13
    January 2009
    213 Posts
    Here are some of decent models for modern map, if you want:
    http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/?a=view&id=122972
    Has in example: foliage props and front door for houses.
    Thanks a bunch! Hey, love your maps by the way.

Edited:

Really can't decide if I like the night time setting or this better:

Also, thanks for the suggestions! I could still use some bigger ideas, however.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

14. Post #14
    I HAVE A TOASTER FETISH
    July 2009
    3,977 Posts
    You should release both for extra super secret night missions

15. Post #15
    February 2011
    2,049 Posts
    Oh wow. My body NEEDS this map.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    November 2011
    799 Posts
    Those are some of the best houses I've seen!
    For suggestions... Perhaps the road could have telephone poles, a bridge that traverses a river, and small country houses in rural parts. And I have to say that I like the night version the best. It shows off things like the glow of the porch lights and the lighting in the swimming pools. Absolutely gorgeous work!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    OFFICIAL DEAN of MAX PAYNE
    Dennab
    July 2009
    9,002 Posts
    That looks pretty cool.

You should use some caustics for the pool.
    http://www.gaming-models.de/index.php/product/331
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Useful Useful x 1Winner Winner x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    5,611 Posts
    This map is sex
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    I make awesome maps that never see the light of day
    January 2007
    7,342 Posts
    I liked the night more.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    November 2011
    799 Posts
    Not sure, but the train tracks seem a bit close to the houses. Tracks might look better further away, on a sloped embankment and have the track go over a bridge instead of a tunnel.

21. Post #21
    January 2009
    213 Posts
    Working on an area at the top of the cliff shown behind the current pictures. I am not sure if I want houses or business up there (or perhaps something else) so feel free to give some suggestions. Will likely post pics soon.

22. Post #22
    November 2010
    2,885 Posts
    Working on an area at the top of the cliff shown behind the current pictures. I am not sure if I want houses or business up there (or perhaps something else) so feel free to give some suggestions. Will likely post pics soon.
    Houses, please.

23. Post #23
    I HAVE A TOASTER FETISH
    July 2009
    3,977 Posts
    What about a water tower?

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    October 2010
    2,532 Posts
    The pools look great, is that a custom water texture?

25. Post #25
    January 2009
    213 Posts
    The pools look great, is that a custom water texture?
    The pool walls/floor are a custom texture from the Sims 2 pack, someone linked a custom water texture that I will try out as well.

Edited:

That looks pretty cool.

You should use some caustics for the pool.
    http://www.gaming-models.de/index.php/product/331
    I tried that texture and unfortunately it does not look quite right in my pools (at least in my opinion.)

It also seems to have different effects on my env_lightglows so I'm afraid that I won't be using it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

26. Post #26
    January 2009
    213 Posts
    Update!

I really like this dusk setting and I am likely going to stick with it.

Here is part of the area I am currently working on.

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    5,611 Posts
    I find dusk to be really pretty

28. Post #28
    October 2009
    1,095 Posts
    You might want to take a look at The Ship's models and textures, they might fit perfectly into this map.

You'll be able get them for free by downloading the dedicated server files at tools in steam, if they're still there that is.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    November 2011
    799 Posts
    I love dusk to! The skybox could be more fitting though, it's a bit bright.

30. Post #30
    February 2011
    2,049 Posts
    So, there'll be both a dusk and a night map, then?

31. Post #31
    TCB
    I AM A FIRE LORD
    December 2009
    9,227 Posts
    This map has amazing textures.

32. Post #32
    OFFICIAL DEAN of MAX PAYNE
    Dennab
    July 2009
    9,002 Posts
    This map has amazing textures.
    They're from The Sims, aren't they?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    January 2009
    213 Posts
    So, there'll be both a dusk and a night map, then?
    I am sticking with dusk, but I could release multiple versions when I'm done with it if people want a night version (or some other time of day.)

34. Post #34

May 2011
    83 Posts
    Very nice, I am looking forward to the release of this map. Dalton you have done a great job. Will there be a sky box ?

35. Post #35
    Facepunch Resident Alcoholic!
    July 2007
    7,980 Posts
    Very nice, I am looking forward to the release of this map. Dalton you have done a great job. Will there be a sky box ?
    Are you fucking kidding me, if it didn't have a skybox what on earth would it have
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Zing Zing x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Level Design Portfolio
    November 2009
    2,041 Posts
    Are you fucking kidding me, if it didn't have a skybox what on earth would it have
    I think he might mean a 3D Skybox.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

37. Post #37

May 2011
    83 Posts
    I think he might mean a 3D Skybox.
    Yes, thank you I do.

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    180 Posts
    I was digging the night setting but dusk will work, go for a slightly dimmer skybox though maybe?

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    11,571 Posts
    If its night time, you most likely would not see the caustics from above, as you have in that picture. Light doesn't really refract like that. Most cases you wouldn't see it if it was day either, it would be more diffused and less noticeable.

40. Post #40
    January 2009
    213 Posts
    If its night time, you most likely would not see the caustics from above, as you have in that picture. Light doesn't really refract like that. Most cases you wouldn't see it if it was day either, it would be more diffused and less noticeable.
    I said I would not be using that texture in the post. I agree, it does not look right.

Edited:

Maybe this is an underground mountain. But yes, I will be adding a 3d skybox.