1. Post #561
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    6,257 Posts
    Got to play it at CES this year, shit was cash

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3Informative Informative x 3 (list)

2. Post #562
    July 2010
    6,696 Posts

how many other series are like it gameplay-wise? CS is still one of the only series where skill and reflexes are some of the biggest factors, not who shoots first
    you completely missed my point. CS was one of the first games to bring the "warzone, lots of guns, lots of bullets at once, but you still need strategy" type gameplay.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #563
    February 2010
    6,094 Posts
    CS:GO seems alright to me (still going to buy it) just because it kinda looks like Battlefield 3 and it's going on to console. Counter- Strike is just turning into a generic FPS.
    -snip-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

4. Post #564
    October 2010
    11,781 Posts
    you completely missed my point. CS was one of the first games to bring the "warzone, lots of guns, lots of bullets at once, but you still need strategy" type gameplay.
    You said it "invented" the "generic FPS"

yet the "generic FPS" plays nothing like CS, so i don't see how I missed the point
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

5. Post #565
    July 2010
    6,696 Posts
    You said it "invented" the "generic FPS"

yet the "generic FPS" plays nothing like CS, so i don't see how I missed the point
    you still don't know what I mean

when it invented the generic FPS, other games copied that a shitton, making them generic fps's
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

6. Post #566
    July 2010
    4,593 Posts
    CS barely invented the "generic FPS," because CS has way too much of a tactical focus compared to the generic FPS out today. Games like Halo, CoD, and, say, Warhawk really don't have as much strategy as Counter-Strike does.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

7. Post #567
    July 2010
    6,696 Posts
    see: trying to copy and failing

Edited:

oh you're one of those people who hate on halo and CoD for no reason

i don't need to argue anymore
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 8Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #568
    July 2010
    4,593 Posts
    see: trying to copy and failing

Edited:

Uhh CoD and Halo never even tried to be CS. There was always a different gameplay flow found in CoD and Halo. CS was always about balancing survival with objective, Halo and CoD never worked towards that balance and instead always focused on objective more than survival. Games like Red Orchestra and Killing Floor are much more inspired by Counter-Strike. Not Halo and CoD.

Wow, way to stereotype. Just check my Steam profile, I've played my fair share of time on MW2, Black Ops, and even some MW3. About 140 hours a piece, save for MW3, which I can't stomach and therefore only have about 20 or 30 hours on. Likewise 4 or 5 years ago I was crazy for Halo: CE on the PC. Had some good times playing. Both games are fun, but they're not as good as games like CS, Red Orchestra, early Battlefield, and Unreal.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

9. Post #569
    July 2010
    6,696 Posts
    which is why I said "and failing"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 11 (list)

10. Post #570
    July 2010
    4,593 Posts
    which is why I said "and failing"
    You can't fail to copy something while not trying to copy it. Your intention is either to be like CS, or not to.
    Just because CS is a massively popular FPS doesn't mean it is THE source of generic FPS games. That's like saying, because West Side Story was an incredibly popular musical of the 1950s, every musical based on New York City attempted to replicate West Side Story, and, if they couldn't, they "were failing" to do so.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

11. Post #571
    October 2010
    11,781 Posts

Oh you're one of those people who stereotype others because of their preferences

I don't need to argue anymore

your argument is just falling apart
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Zing Zing x 1 (list)

12. Post #572
    July 2010
    6,696 Posts
    Oh you're one of those people who stereotype others because of their preferences

I don't need to argue anymore

your argument is just falling apart
    or maybe i'm just tired
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6 (list)

13. Post #573

March 2011
    13 Posts
    or maybe i'm just tired
    Or maybe you are just dumb
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Ukraine Show Events Dumb Dumb x 10Agree Agree x 7Funny Funny x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

14. Post #574
    May 2011
    1,910 Posts
    Uhh CoD and Halo never even tried to be CS. There was always a different gameplay flow found in CoD and Halo. CS was always about balancing survival with objective, Halo and CoD never worked towards that balance and instead always focused on objective more than survival. Games like Red Orchestra and Killing Floor are much more inspired by Counter-Strike. Not Halo and CoD.

Wow, way to stereotype. Just check my Steam profile, I've played my fair share of time on MW2, Black Ops, and even some MW3. About 140 hours a piece, save for MW3, which I can't stomach and therefore only have about 20 or 30 hours on. Likewise 4 or 5 years ago I was crazy for Halo: CE on the PC. Had some good times playing. Both games are fun, but they're not as good as games like CS, Red Orchestra, early Battlefield, and Unreal.
    Red Orchestra seems like it was inspired more by the old Battlefield games rather than Counter-Strike to me.

You're pretty much describing any FPS that was ever made. Hell, you could pin Doom, Quake, or Half-Life to that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

15. Post #575
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    6,734 Posts
    or maybe i'm just tired
    Yes. Because being tired means your argument isn't falling apart. Everyone knows that.

GUYS HE'S TIRED HIS ARGUMENT ISN'T FALLING APART OBVIOUSLY
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

16. Post #576
    July 2010
    6,696 Posts
    Yes. Because being tired means your argument isn't falling apart. Everyone knows that.

GUYS HE'S TIRED HIS ARGUMENT ISN'T FALLING APART OBVIOUSLY
    i didn't say my argument wasn't falling apart
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6Zing Zing x 2Useful Useful x 1 (list)

17. Post #577
    Sphene
    September 2010
    10,824 Posts
    CS barely invented the "generic FPS," because CS has way too much of a tactical focus compared to the generic FPS out today. Games like Halo, CoD, and, say, Warhawk really don't have as much strategy as Counter-Strike does.
    Are you saying Halo is generic? Because under the hood it's a huge universe with a metric fuck-tonne of back story that makes Mass Effect's look like a bed-time story.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Winner Winner x 1 (list)

18. Post #578
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    3,062 Posts
    Are you saying Halo is generic? Because under the hood it's a huge universe with a metric fuck-tonne of back story that makes Mass Effect's look like a bed-time story.
    But does any of that "deep" back story actually matter in-game? From what I can tell, it doesn't. It's mostly third-rate sci-fi laid over a great FPS series who's plot is basically "oh man what a bunch of dickhead aliens! kill 'em all!".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Dumb Dumb x 3Zing Zing x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #579
    Sphene
    September 2010
    10,824 Posts
    "oh man what a bunch of dickhead aliens! kill 'em all!".
    hahaha you have no idea
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #580
    July 2010
    4,593 Posts
    Plot and gameplay are 100% separate of each other though, and when we talk about "generic FPS" over 80% of that is gameplay.
    You can have the absolutely best plot in the world but still have generic gameplay. Some of the best games around don't even have a plot, it just is what it is (like TF2 or CS).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Informative Informative x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

21. Post #581
    July 2010
    6,696 Posts
    sure is topic in here
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6Funny Funny x 2 (list)

22. Post #582
    Sphene
    September 2010
    10,824 Posts
    Thread about CS
    Current topic is plots
    whoops.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #583
    October 2010
    11,781 Posts
    Plot and gameplay are 100% separate of each other though, and when we talk about "generic FPS" over 80% of that is gameplay.
    You can have the absolutely best plot in the world but still have generic gameplay. Some of the best games around don't even have a plot, it just is what it is (like TF2 or CS).
    CS's story is real life counter-terrorism, hostage takings and attempted bombings

(albeit it taking place in the 90s/early 2000s era, whereas CSGO appears to be modern day)

And you're right about TF2 from the first, since its release its backstory has greatly expanded (though not really to the point of a real plot)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

24. Post #584
    May 2010
    3,679 Posts
    Got a beta key yesterday from Steam Translations, it looks great but it's unplayable for me because I get 8 FPS outside and 20 FPS inside buildings, and no I don't have a shit computer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

25. Post #585
    July 2006
    37 Posts
    I hope Valve might one day implement a zombie mode in the counter-strike series, but I doubt it. Anyhow I look forward to this game and hopefully back to doing a couple of more maps.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #586
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    4,457 Posts
    I hope Valve might one day implement a zombie mode in the counter-strike series, but I doubt it. Anyhow I look forward to this game and hopefully back to doing a couple of more maps.
    I believe they were going to patch in a zombie mode sometime after release.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

27. Post #587
    July 2010
    4,593 Posts
    Got a beta key yesterday from Steam Translations, it looks great but it's unplayable for me because I get 8 FPS outside and 20 FPS inside buildings, and no I don't have a shit computer.
    Personally, you aren't missing much yet anyways. It still needs some fine-tuning. Reg and hitboxes are even worse than Source.

Valve has actually hinted at doing just that, along with other popular mods.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

28. Post #588
    October 2010
    11,781 Posts
    http://cso.iahgames.com/flash/modes/index.html

(it's technically endorsed by Valve)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

29. Post #589
    March 2010
    903 Posts
    Have anyone played BF3? Oh God the low recoil on some of the rifles there. CS is a tactical shooter. And I hope it will never morph into MW3/BF3 style.
    Funny that "badatvidyagames" dumded that post. :D

Looking forward to open beta. Anyone has some insight in when valve opens up the beta?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

30. Post #590
    July 2007
    1,038 Posts
    How much more detail is there in the models and maps?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Israel Show Events

31. Post #591
    May 2010
    3,679 Posts
    Graphics-wise it looks to me like the best looking Source game yet, and I can finally play, turns out it was my beta nVidia drivers causing all the fps drops.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #592
    July 2010
    4,593 Posts
    It's pretty detailed.
    About Portal 2-level detail, give or take a bit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

33. Post #593
    May 2010
    3,679 Posts
    Made two 720p videos, will upload soon.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

34. Post #594
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    6,734 Posts
    i didn't say my argument wasn't falling apart
    You said "or."

He's either dead or alive. He's one or the other. Your argument is either falling apart, or you were tired. If you weren't tired, why would you suggest it? If you were tired, you claim your argument wasn't falling apart. It still is.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #595
    July 2010
    6,696 Posts
    You said "or."

He's either dead or alive. He's one or the other. Your argument is either falling apart, or you were tired. If you weren't tired, why would you suggest it? If you were tired, you claim your argument wasn't falling apart. It still is.
    holy shit shut up
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9Funny Funny x 1 (list)

36. Post #596
    October 2010
    11,781 Posts
    holy shit shut up
    "He proved me wrong, so I will promptly tell him to shut up"

Nice debating skills
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 5Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #597
    July 2010
    6,696 Posts
    "He proved me wrong, so I will promptly tell him to shut up"

Nice debating skills
    sue me for trying to not derail the thread!

can't wait for the open beta
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

38. Post #598
    101% Asian
    April 2007
    1,931 Posts
    I got a fake email that said someone sent me a copy of CS:GO beta. I almost clicked on it because it said the email came from steampowered.com, but then I realized the link was a malware.
    :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4Funny Funny x 1 (list)

39. Post #599
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    2,352 Posts
    sue me for trying to not derail the thread!

can't wait for the open beta
    Jeez what are you doing? You were obviously proven wrong, your argument is falling apart and you cant defend, deal with it.

On-topic from Meatpuppets charade, What weapons from css are exactly missing and what ones were added? And any word from steam on Xbox Live yet? Two more things, was V.I.P confirmed and and more hints on Zombie Mode? Thanks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

40. Post #600
    DefaultText.ini
    February 2011
    1,342 Posts
    I have a "meh" video about the GO4CSS mod. Some plays of the maps.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Late Late x 2Winner Winner x 2Funny Funny x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)