1. Post #3841
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    3,704 Posts
    CS has always been better than any of the CoD games.
    i had lots of fun in mw2, i could even say it was more fun than any of the cs games. but then again i still ocasionaly play css and i dont even touch mw2.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Slovenia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #3842
    March 2010
    903 Posts
    Pre fire, wall banging etc.
    Mhm. But the chances of killing you is low.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

3. Post #3843
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    4,542 Posts
    COD is a good game. It just isn't a good series. What I'm saying is, COD needs more innovation. It's still fun though.

And I don't think it should be compared to CS tbh. CS is a tactical shooter, COD is more arcady and arena-ish.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 8Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

4. Post #3844
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    847 Posts
    I've got 2 dota 2 beta keys on hand and I'm looking for a CS:GO beta key
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3Informative Informative x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

5. Post #3845
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    14,222 Posts
    So apparently if you email Mary and are super nice and cool, she'll send you a beta key! Rev up those compliments gents, and DO NOT BEG!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

6. Post #3846
    November 2008
    869 Posts
    CS: GO Finals are about to start - http://www.twitch.tv/copenhagengamescss

http://slap.dk/live/r/25/bracket/ram...ochallenge.htm
    SK Gaming - ESC, both are 1.6 teams and beat the tournament's CSS players kinda easily.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Finland Show Events

7. Post #3847
    OFFICIAL DEAN of MAX PAYNE
    Dennab
    July 2009
    9,002 Posts
    So apparently if you email Mary and are super nice and cool, she'll send you a beta key! Rev up those compliments gents, and DO NOT BEG!
    Who's Mary?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

8. Post #3848

January 2012
    282 Posts
    Could you link us to her email please?
    I cant find her on google...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

9. Post #3849
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    1,161 Posts
    Is there a way to turn off bulltracers?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

10. Post #3850
    August 2008
    2,674 Posts
    COD is a good game. It just isn't a good series. What I'm saying is, COD needs more innovation. It's still fun though.

And I don't think it should be compared to CS tbh. CS is a tactical shooter, COD is more arcady and arena-ish.
    IMO, Call of Duty sucks. I'm not hopping on the bandwagon here, it's just that the two main COD developers are too damn lazy to make a new engine. Of course I am kind of being hypocritical here in that Valve still uses Source all the way back from '05, but if you looked at a picture of Source back then and a picture of Source now you'd see that it has changed a lot, while comparing a picture of MW3 and Call of Duty 4 you won't see much of a difference. What I'm trying to say here is that Call of Duty is in essence the same game with new maps/guns/scenarios while with Valve you have more than just one series, all of which have new and innovative features with each sequel.

However, I have a feeling COD would be way better if its community wasn't a piece of shit..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

11. Post #3851
    Sphene
    September 2010
    10,881 Posts
    the two main COD developers are too damn lazy to make a new engine
    I think they lack that expertise. The devs are mainly people that know how to use an existing engine (quite well actually), not so much making their own.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

12. Post #3852
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    6,963 Posts
    I think that making engines is very costly and they don't want to spend that money doing something that they don't necessarily need to do
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

13. Post #3853
    June 2011
    157 Posts
    IMO, Call of Duty sucks. I'm not hopping on the bandwagon here, it's just that the two main COD developers are too damn lazy to make a new engine. Of course I am kind of being hypocritical here in that Valve still uses Source all the way back from '05, but if you looked at a picture of Source back then and a picture of Source now you'd see that it has changed a lot, while comparing a picture of MW3 and Call of Duty 4 you won't see much of a difference. What I'm trying to say here is that Call of Duty is in essence the same game with new maps/guns/scenarios while with Valve you have more than just one series, all of which have new and innovative features with each sequel.

However, I have a feeling COD would be way better if its community wasn't a piece of shit..
    Don't just compare graphics, look at the gameplay mechanics of their engine compared to Source. Projectile weapons launch properly in their games when every Source projectile appears after a noticeable lag. Iron sight is an analogue thing just like your W key in COD, and then look at how iron sights worked in DOD:S, and scopes in other Source games are still on/off switches with input lag online. Also you don't get stopped+slowed dead in your tracks when you sprint into bad mapping boundries in COD. There's something very off about player acceleration in Source games. The throwing knife in MW2+shitty local hosting puts the L4D2 dedicated-server charger to shame, and the throwing knife can bounce + hits specific limbs + attaches to the body. Source can't depict a grenade throw fluidly with dedicated servers... wtf is the deal?

What ruins COD is builds and loadouts, their respawn system, and the matchmaking
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb x 6Agree x 1Disagree x 1Optimistic x 1Funny x 1 (list)

14. Post #3854
    February 2011
    4,071 Posts
    I cant believe that last week that I happened to get into the dota 2 beta, I would've much prefered CS:GO
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

15. Post #3855
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    6,963 Posts
    i have neither vv
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #3856
    Sphene
    September 2010
    10,881 Posts
    Don't just compare graphics, look at the gameplay mechanics of their engine compared to Source. Projectile weapons launch properly in their games when every Source projectile appears after a noticeable lag. Iron sight is an analogue thing just like your W key in COD, and then look at how iron sights worked in DOD:S, and scopes in other Source games are still on/off switches with input lag online. Also you don't get stopped+slowed dead in your tracks when you sprint into bad mapping boundries in COD. There's something very off about player acceleration in Source games. The throwing knife in MW2+shitty local hosting puts the L4D2 dedicated-server charger to shame, and the throwing knife can bounce + hits specific limbs + attaches to the body. Source can't depict a grenade throw fluidly with dedicated servers... wtf is the deal?
    The reason why you notice lag in Source games' projectiles is MOSTLY because of dedicated servers. I know that sounds contrary to why dedicated servers exist for online games, but lemme explain. CoD uses a host system, so most things are animated before the packets come back saying "yeah you just did that". This is called "client-side", where your machine will do something without permission from the host machine (server or another console). This has it's advantages and it's disadvantages. Advantage: Fluid animations, Disadvantage: If your connection is bad you'll do half the animation before being teleported back a few milliseconds.

And if you look at a throwing knife from CoD and a grenade being thrown in CS:S or CS:GO in ~slow motion~, you'll notice that they both are doing very wonky animations.
    Why? Because they don't need it to be that precise when it's flying through the air at the speed it's going, and it's too small to warrant putting that much detail in it.
    The trajectory and collision (for the most part) is what matters when it comes to that kind of stuff, and I'm pretty sure that's nearly perfect for both games. I say nearly perfect because sometimes in CS:GO a decoy grenade will get stuck in a bot's head and CoD gets this from time to time:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3Winner Winner x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #3857

January 2012
    282 Posts
    Is it true they give you a guest pass every update? Friend just said this,not sure if its true.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

18. Post #3858
    June 2011
    157 Posts
    The reason why you notice lag in Source games' projectiles is MOSTLY because of dedicated servers. I know that sounds contrary to why dedicated servers exist for online games, but lemme explain. CoD uses a host system, so most things are animated before the packets come back saying "yeah you just did that". This is called "client-side", where your machine will do something without permission from the host machine (server or another console). This has it's advantages and it's disadvantages. Advantage: Fluid animations, Disadvantage: If your connection is bad you'll do half the animation before being teleported back a few milliseconds.

And if you look at a throwing knife from CoD and a grenade being thrown in CS:S or CS:GO in ~slow motion~, you'll notice that they both are doing very wonky animations.
    Why? Because they don't need it to be that precise when it's flying through the air at the speed it's going, and it's too small to warrant putting that much detail in it.
    The trajectory and collision (for the most part) is what matters when it comes to that kind of stuff, and I'm pretty sure that's nearly perfect for both games. I say nearly perfect because sometimes in CS:GO a decoy grenade will get stuck in a bot's head and CoD gets this from time to time:
    What about COD4's grenades then?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

19. Post #3859
    Sphene
    September 2010
    10,881 Posts
    What about them?

20. Post #3860
    June 2011
    157 Posts
    Throwing them after holding them/firing them isn't delayed online like projectile weapons or throwing held grenades in Source games, the grenade appears instantly from your viewpoint. Also the ironsights are just as responsive.

Valve never gives scoping/aiming and projectile weapons the same instant response as WASD and jumping.

21. Post #3861
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    4,534 Posts

What ruins COD is builds and loadouts, their respawn system, and the matchmaking
    Have you ever watched a killcam, or even a replay from blackops/mw3? When you watch one of the server-recorded demos, that's what the server/host is seeing.

The only reason things seem so smooth is because of the absolutely ridiculous amount of interpolation they use.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

22. Post #3862
    I tend not to notice lag in COD games because usually you barely even need to aim or compensate for headshots/recoil.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

23. Post #3863
    If you go back and play a client recorded source demo it will be similar to that of a COD playback, but if you take a server side demo recording (can be done with SourceTV or TF2's replays) it is much, MUCH different, because it is the server's view.

I don't know where all of you people come from, but CS:S uses hitboxes to figure how much damage a hit should do, Not IF / where it hit!
    the thing that dictates collision / bullet hits, is infact: the collision model!
    This yellow grid! (its different on each model, this is Ct_gigin)

Also, out of most games I think Source has some of the most accurate Collision models, and network setup in games today.

You can read more here. https://developer.valvesoftware.com/...yer_Networking
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Disagree Disagree x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

24. Post #3864
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    847 Posts
    I've got 2 dota 2 beta keys on hand and I'm looking for a CS:GO beta key :I
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

25. Post #3865
    ☂☂☂☂ ☂☂☂ ☂☂ _☂_
    January 2005
    22,667 Posts
    how do i get the server list this fucking matchmaking is terrible and shit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

26. Post #3866
    June 2011
    157 Posts
    Have you ever watched a killcam, or even a replay from blackops/mw3? When you watch one of the server-recorded demos, that's what the server/host is seeing.

The only reason things seem so smooth is because of the absolutely ridiculous amount of interpolation they use.
    I'm not talking about killcams, I'm talking about realtime. In Source games, you press W in realtime and you move forward instantly. You press Space in realtime and you jump instantly. You press scope in realtime and the scope appears after the send/receive latency. Same thing happens with when projectiles are "fired".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

27. Post #3867
    September 2009
    5,113 Posts
    Same thing happens with when projectiles are "fired".
    I am highly doubtful about that. I don't know much about this whole topic but It seems odd to me for shooting to be neglected in a shooting game, which is all about precision anyway.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Czech Republic Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

28. Post #3868
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    1,042 Posts
    Be fast, be lucky.

BAW6F-JMWVO-O8I3Y

What, why the funnies?

It's a non-used CS:GO key (unless someone was fast of course).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 4Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

29. Post #3869
    I'm not talking about killcams, I'm talking about realtime. In Source games, you press W in realtime and you move forward instantly. You press Space in realtime and you jump instantly. You press scope in realtime and the scope appears after the send/receive latency. Same thing happens with when projectiles are "fired".
    Everything is interpolated, AKA; when you shoot, you SHOOT client-side, and then that command is sent to the server, if anything turns out to be "False" (say you are dead before you can fire) whatever happened preventing you from firing will happen (in this case, you would die) even though you fired.

The only thing not interpolated are things that are completely client-side (Tracers, particles, etc)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

30. Post #3870
    June 2011
    2,987 Posts
    I sent a full Microsoft Word site about how I love Valve and asked about a key at the end. She sent me one! :3 Still needs to arrive though. USA to Germany is a long distance.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events

31. Post #3871
    Wow, never heard of THAT joke before
    April 2010
    903 Posts
    I think that making engines is very costly and they don't want to spend that money doing something that they don't necessarily need to do
    Technically speaking, IW use a high-performance variation of the Q3 engine, they've just modified it so much that they licence it as their own engine. Don't take this the wrong way, the Source Engine has some Q3 code in its backend stuff. id Software sold a lot of Q3 engine licences because they were simply that good
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

32. Post #3872
    SHADERS
    October 2008
    10,024 Posts
    If you go back and play a client recorded source demo it will be similar to that of a COD playback, but if you take a server side demo recording (can be done with SourceTV or TF2's replays) it is much, MUCH different, because it is the server's view.

I don't know where all of you people come from, but CS:S uses hitboxes to figure how much damage a hit should do, Not IF / where it hit!
    the thing that dictates collision / bullet hits, is infact: the collision model!
    This yellow grid! (its different on each model, this is Ct_gigin)

Also, out of most games I think Source has some of the most accurate Collision models, and network setup in games today.

You can read more here. https://developer.valvesoftware.com/...yer_Networking
    Source uses much simpler hitboxes for weapons, the collision mesh is only used for ragdoll physics. The CS:GO dev even posted the hitbox difference on the blog site.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

33. Post #3873
    Technically speaking, IW use a high-performance variation of the Q3 engine, they've just modified it so much that they licence it as their own engine. Don't take this the wrong way, the Source Engine has some Q3 code in its backend stuff. id Software sold a lot of Q3 engine licences because they were simply that good
    afaik There is only 3 lines of "code" from Quake engines left in source, and those are just comments.

34. Post #3874
    February 2011
    4,071 Posts
    Be fast, be lucky.

BAW6F-JMWVO-O8I3Y

What, why the funnies?

It's a non-used CS:GO key (unless someone was fast of course).
    I really wish I monitor this thread 24/7
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

35. Post #3875
    June 2008
    4,666 Posts
    I really wish I monitor this thread 24/7
    Agreed, I am now monitoring this thread whenever I can, even when I'm playing games on Steam.

That is indeed how sad I am.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

36. Post #3876
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    11,638 Posts
    If this is still the same Source CS:S ran on then I'll be damned. Looks so nice holy shit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

37. Post #3877
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    18,290 Posts
    If this is still the same Source CS:S ran on then I'll be damned. Looks so nice holy shit
    Its running on an updated source engine, little more advanced then the updated source engine in Portal 2.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

38. Post #3878
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    7,573 Posts
    Is there any chance of the new shit they add in this game, such as the lighting etc getting added to their older games?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

39. Post #3879
    "Epic Leddit pwner :)"
    March 2010
    12,348 Posts
    My PC Gamer subscription came in the post earlier, I took a few pictures of it with my Phone.

Edited:

I wish I had a scanner so I could scan the pages for you guys :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Latvia Show Events Winner Winner x 15Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

40. Post #3880
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    11,638 Posts
    Is there any chance of the new shit they add in this game, such as the lighting etc getting added to their older games?
    Imagine how odd it'd be to see HL2 in CS:GO's graphics engine. It probably wouldn't feel the same, though I agree having lighting like this is better than having square shadows all over staircases and everything.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 14Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)