1. Post #2241
    LIVE LIKE A WINDRAMMER AS YOU FUCK
    June 2010
    5,792 Posts
    Dear lord.

Edited:

My Day:

Make some exciting progress on a feature that is potentially extremely useful, and yet barely understand this despite writing it
    Determine that this progress is actually very useful
    Run into problem after problem when attempting to use the new feature as intended, wasting hours firing away at it, wearing it down piece by meaningless piece

Then, some time in the future...

Do something and the feature suddenly works. Hark, and hear the angels singing! All is now clear.
    Begin work on next feature. Repeat.
    That happened to me a few days ago when I was messing about in Construct, except it took 2 days to figure out rather than 2 hours.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Denmark Show Events

2. Post #2242
    Andrew McWatters
    Dennab
    March 2011
    4,658 Posts
    The fact that I stayed focused on reading your article and not the color of your blog's background really confused me by the time I figured out it was changing colors.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

3. Post #2243
    SirCrest Sexual Enthusiast
    August 2008
    14,765 Posts
    Goddammit. The part on Source Control.
    Source Control has been something that has been completely pissing me off lately, not because I can't use it or it doesn't work for me. Because of a friend I am working with on some project absolutely hates it, he continually wants to move to FTP and it always saying FTP does what Source control does but is't as volatile. The other day he re-arranged all the shit on my SVN, in a way that removed all way of reverting back WHILE leaving all the hard drive space taken up by the delta's. Worst part is he will not read up on it, Refuses to, avoid it whenever brought up. I tried to get him to get the "Version Control by Example" book (Brilliant book, I love Version Control because of it) but he said his family would freak the fuck out if a random book appeared in his name, so I found him an online version and PDF version. Still won't read it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 12 (list)

4. Post #2244
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,498 Posts
    Source Control has been something that has been completely pissing me off lately, not because I can't use it or it doesn't work for me. Because of a friend I am working with on some project absolutely hates it, he continually wants to move to FTP and it always saying FTP does what Source control does but is't as volatile. The other day he re-arranged all the shit on my SVN, in a way that removed all way of reverting back WHILE leaving all the hard drive space taken up by the delta's. Worst part is he will not read up on it, Refuses to, avoid it whenever brought up. I tried to get him to get the "Version Control by Example" book (Brilliant book, I love Version Control because of it) but he said his family would freak the fuck out if a random book appeared in his name, so I found him an online version and PDF version. Still won't read it.
    what

Edit: I can't make sense of this at all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6Funny Funny x 1 (list)

5. Post #2245
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    6,123 Posts
    He sounds like a typical character from TDWTF. Why are you working with him? At least take away his SVN administration privileges.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Austria Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

6. Post #2246
    August 2008
    14,765 Posts
    what

Edit: I can't make sense of this at all.
    He has a family of technophobes.
    To put it simply, they think since his address is now on the internet people will start to come and rob the place and rape people.
    Technophobia to the max. It's pretty bad.

Edited:

He sounds like a typical character from TDWTF. Why are you working with him? At least take away his SVN administration privileges.
    Good idea.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

7. Post #2247
    Hi.
    July 2011
    4,353 Posts
    Is he a child or does he not have the balls to explain to them that this book will not end up with rape?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

8. Post #2248
    August 2008
    14,765 Posts
    Is he a child or does he not have the balls to explain to them that this book will not end up with rape?
    Yeah, he's a minor.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 5Informative Informative x 1 (list)

9. Post #2249
    Hi.
    July 2011
    4,353 Posts
    My parents were the same but I didn't give a shit, I can understand though.

I figured it would take me a good day or so to learn how to script for an amnesia mod but god damn this shit's easy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

10. Post #2250
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    Wow, breaking my silence for a second just to commend your balls of steel. I'd of yelled myself hoarse at him for fucking up the repository and destroying it's actual function, and for fucking with shit he doesn't understand.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 5Agree Agree x 2 (list)

11. Post #2251
    August 2008
    14,765 Posts
    Wow, breaking my silence for a second just to commend your balls of steel. I'd of yelled myself hoarse at him for fucking up the repository and destroying it's actual function, and for fucking with shit he doesn't understand.
    Yeah, he got yelled at. Don't worry.
    I've been REALLY tolerant with his shit lately, he's probably gonna see this though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

12. Post #2252
    Zyx
    Guest 3855 is lost and can't find the park exit
    February 2005
    2,830 Posts
    All this talk about booleans reminded me how I would usually toggle a boolean from true to false or the other way:
    if(enabled)
    {
    enabled = false;
    }
    else
    {
    enabled = true;
    }

Then I learned to just do:
    enabled = !enabled
    Much better
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Agree x 14Informative x 3Useful x 1Funny x 1Programming King x 1Winner x 1 (list)

13. Post #2253
    August 2008
    14,765 Posts
    All this talk about booleans reminded me how I would usually toggle a boolean from true to false or the other way:
    if(enabled)
    {
    enabled = false;
    }
    else
    {
    enabled = true;
    }

Then I learned to just do:
    enabled = !enabled
    Much better
    This is why I love you guys
    I've been doing it like this

if(enabled = true)
       enabled = false;
    else
       enabled = true;

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 16Agree Agree x 3Friendly Friendly x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

14. Post #2254
    September 2011
    319 Posts
    Making a GUI version of CleverOmegle. The big text box is for the conversation, and the smaller text box is for input.

for good, for bad. If bad, tell me what's bad.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 South Africa Show Events Agree Agree x 37 (list)

15. Post #2255
    June 2011
    588 Posts
    Yeah, he got yelled at. Don't worry.
    I've been REALLY tolerant with his shit lately, he's probably gonna see this though.
    Assign yourself as project leader.
    Tell him if he doesn't pull his shit together and follow standard project management routines he's out.

Seriously I would have kicked the person off the project if they didn't want to work with source control(we're working with git). I can't tolerate fucking babies like that crossing their arms and refuses to follow standard, working routines.

I had a moment with one of my team members where he would put out a massive sigh every time he had to merge source files because he didn't understand why he had to or what's so good about git. I promtly told him to stop acting like a fucking PMS whore and read up on source control and why we're doing it(school). Technological ignorance makes me furious.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

16. Post #2256
    Kate Adams
    June 2009
    978 Posts
    That is surprisingly accurate.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

17. Post #2257
    September 2008
    188 Posts
    Making a GUI version of CleverOmegle. The big text box is for the conversation, and the smaller text box is for input.

You should also make a feature so that 2 strangers can speak to each other while you are watching.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

18. Post #2258
    September 2011
    319 Posts
    You should also make a feature so that 2 strangers can speak to each other while you are watching.
    That's pretty much Omegle Spy mode. Still working on it. On a side note, does anyone know of an extension like Tamper Data, but for Chrome instead of Firefox?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 South Africa Show Events

19. Post #2259
    Gold Member

July 2006
    1,952 Posts
    I literally just spent two hours figuring out how CMake works, when I could've just used Premake to do the same thing in a few minutes.

solution "Valo"

language "C++"

includedirs {"include"}

-- Configurations.

configurations {"Debug", "Release"}

configuration "Debug"

defines {"DEBUG"}

flags {"Symbols"}

configuration "Release"

defines {"NDEBUG"}

flags {"Optimize"}

-- Projects.

project "Valo"

kind "StaticLib"

files {"include/**.hpp", "source/**.cpp"}

project "(Example) Window"

kind "ConsoleApp"

files {"examples/window/source/**.cpp"}

links {"Valo"}
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 5Agree Agree x 2 (list)

20. Post #2260
    Andrew McWatters
    Dennab
    March 2011
    4,658 Posts
    I guess I'm just a loser, noob programmer. I never compile anything on Linux because I just don't really use it, so I don't really know how any of these *make things work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

21. Post #2261
    Gold Member

July 2006
    1,952 Posts
    They're basically scripts that can be used to automatically create project files for the IDE of your choice. This saves the effort for having to manually maintenance project files for a wide range of programs.

If I wanted to create project files for Visual Studio 2010 from that, I'd just type premake4 vs2010 to the command line.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Finland Show Events Useful Useful x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

22. Post #2262
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    3,702 Posts
    On the topic of version control:
    What's a good version control with a GUI that I can use for local development. I don't want to push up to Github or anything like that, just need version control to save myself from being a dumbass. v:

I know there's the Tortis* stuff, but I've gotten mixed up after having used Git and Svn, etc.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

23. Post #2263
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    6,123 Posts

Look, I sorted out the alph-HEY GET BACK HERE
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 42 (list)

24. Post #2264
    Andrew McWatters
    Dennab
    March 2011
    4,658 Posts

Look, I sorted out the alph-HEY GET BACK HERE
    Still pretty cool, nonetheless.

25. Post #2265
    Interesting that you say that. Friend.
    August 2007
    3,412 Posts
    Paid for it, approve it quickly please.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 30Dumb Dumb x 1Friendly Friendly x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

26. Post #2266
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    2,667 Posts
    On the topic of version control:
    What's a good version control with a GUI that I can use for local development. I don't want to push up to Github or anything like that, just need version control to save myself from being a dumbass. v:

I know there's the Tortis* stuff, but I've gotten mixed up after having used Git and Svn, etc.
    Mercurial (Hg). It's a DVCS like Git, has a good CLI and TortoiseHg is an excellent GUI for Windows. If you eventually want to get it on the net, BitBucket offers unlimited public and private Hg repositories.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

27. Post #2267
    LIVE LIKE A WINDRAMMER AS YOU FUCK
    June 2010
    5,792 Posts

I think the input bar should be around 2 lines big. Might help focus a bit more attention to it. Other than that I like it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Denmark Show Events Disagree Disagree x 7Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #2268
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    3,702 Posts
    Mercurial (Hg). It's a DVCS like Git, has a good CLI and TortoiseHg is an excellent GUI for Windows. If you eventually want to get it on the net, BitBucket offers unlimited public and private Hg repositories.
    Cheers. I'll go get that done as soon as I reach a 'working' point again.

29. Post #2269
    Zyx
    Guest 3855 is lost and can't find the park exit
    February 2005
    2,830 Posts
    In school today we talked about design patterns. One of the teachers explanations gave me an idea to a "Simple" game involving chess. So far I just got basic movement rules down.

Hopefully I will have time and experience to finish it

Update: I can now kill other pieces. What a messy way to do it though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

30. Post #2270
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,498 Posts
    is it bad that when I see that screenshot I can't help but wonder how that white king got there?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

31. Post #2271
    July 2010
    1,039 Posts
    In school today we talked about design patterns. One of the teachers explanations gave me an idea to a "Simple" game involving chess. So far I just got basic movement rules down.

Hopefully I will have time and experience to finish it

Update: I can now kill other pieces. What a messy way to do it though.
    Reminds me of the chess I once made:

So surprisingly similar.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Estonia Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

32. Post #2272
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,498 Posts
    WAYWO: Chess edition

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 8Artistic Artistic x 1Informative Informative x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

33. Post #2273
    October 2009
    1,974 Posts

Looking good. By the way, here's another patch:

Index: HttpPost.cs
    ===================================================================
    --- HttpPost.cs	(revision 10)
    +++ HttpPost.cs	(working copy)
    @@ -32,7 +32,7 @@
             private string m_url = string.Empty;
             private NameValueCollection m_values = new NameValueCollection();
             private PostTypeEnum m_type = PostTypeEnum.Get;
    -        public event EventHandler WebExceptionEvent;
    +        public event WebExceptionEvent WebExceptionEvent;

/// <summary>
             /// Default constructor.
    @@ -195,7 +195,7 @@
                     {
                         if (this.WebExceptionEvent != null)
                         {
    -                        this.WebExceptionEvent(this, new EventArgs());
    +                        this.WebExceptionEvent(this, new WebExceptionEventArgs(e));
                         }
                     }
                 }
    Index: Omegle.cs
    --- Omegle.cs	(revision 10)
    +++ Omegle.cs	(working copy)
    @@ -55,7 +55,7 @@
             public event EventHandler Connected;
             public event EventHandler StrangerStoppedTyping;
             public event EventHandler Count;
    -        public event EventHandler WebException;
    +        public event WebExceptionEvent WebException;
             public event UnhandledResponseEvent UnhandledResponse;
             public event CaptchaRequiredEvent CaptchaRequired;
             public event EventHandler CaptchaRefused;
    @@ -115,6 +115,7 @@
                 PostSubmitter post = new PostSubmitter();
                 post.Url = "http://bajor.omegle.com/start";
                 post.Type = PostSubmitter.PostTypeEnum.Post;
    +            post.WebExceptionEvent += WebException;
                 ID = post.Post();
                 ID = ID.TrimStart('"'); //gets rid of " at the start and end
                 ID = ID.TrimEnd('"');
    @@ -147,6 +148,8 @@
                 sendPost.PostItems.Add("msg", message);
                 sendPost.Type = PostSubmitter.PostTypeEnum.Post;

+            sendPost.WebExceptionEvent += WebException;
    +
                 return sendPost.Post();
             }

@@ -159,6 +162,8 @@
                 sendPost.PostItems.Add("response", response);

+
                 return sendPost.Post();
             }

@@ -169,6 +174,8 @@
                 sendPost.PostItems.Add("id", ID);

+
                 sendPost.Post();
             }

@@ -179,6 +186,8 @@
                 sendPost.PostItems.Add("id", ID);

+
                 sendPost.Post();
             }

@@ -201,6 +210,8 @@
                 sendPost.PostItems.Add("msg", message);

+
                 return sendPost.Post();
             }

@@ -295,6 +306,8 @@
                 eventlisten.PostItems.Add("id", ID);
                 eventlisten.Type = PostSubmitter.PostTypeEnum.Post;

+            eventlisten.WebExceptionEvent += WebException;
    +
                 string response = eventlisten.Post();

Parse(response);
    Index: WebExceptionEventArgs.cs
    --- WebExceptionEventArgs.cs	(revision 0)
    +++ WebExceptionEventArgs.cs	(revision 0)
    @@ -0,0 +1,20 @@
    +using System;
    +using System.Collections.Generic;
    +using System.Linq;
    +using System.Text;
    +using System.Net;
    +
    +namespace dotOmegle
    +{
    +    public class WebExceptionEventArgs : EventArgs
    +    {
    +        public WebException exception;
    +
    +        public WebExceptionEventArgs(WebException e)
    +        {
    +            this.exception = e;
    +        }
    +    }
    +
    +    public delegate void WebExceptionEvent(object sender, WebExceptionEventArgs e);
    +}
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Egypt Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

34. Post #2274
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,089 Posts
    I feel like I use lambdas WAY too much.

They're just so cool though.

35. Post #2275
    HQRSE FUCKER
    September 2009
    3,058 Posts
    Oh cool, Lua 5.2 was recently released

Lua 5.2 was released on 16 Dec 2011. The main features in Lua 5.2 are yieldable pcall and metamethods, new lexical scheme for globals, ephemeron tables, new library for bitwise operations, light C functions, emergency garbage collector, goto statement, and finalizers for tables. The current release is Lua 5.2.0, released on 16 Dec 2011.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Late Late x 14Informative Informative x 1Dumb Dumb x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

36. Post #2276
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,089 Posts
    goto statement
    Oh lawdy
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 15Dumb Dumb x 3Late Late x 1 (list)

37. Post #2277
    Andrew McWatters
    Dennab
    March 2011
    4,658 Posts
    Oh cool, Lua 5.2 was recently released
    Welcome to WAYWO

Edited:

Though while on the topic of Lua 5.2 (again) - I'm a bit detached on wanting to move on to this new Lua version, though. It seems to be a significant update with not too much to offer. My works rely on Lua 5.1.4 and the ability to use LuaJIT as a drop-in replacement for speed gains, and even LuaJIT isn't going to move on to 5.2 (at least any time soon, afaik).

38. Post #2278
    itty-bitty pretty kitty
    Dennab
    September 2008
    9,837 Posts
    I made this in an hour or two after reading the creepypasta.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

39. Post #2279
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    6,123 Posts
    I made this in an hour or two after reading the creepypasta.
    Wow, that was some damn creepy creepypasta.
    I was also impressed by the way you authentically froze the browser in the woods area.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

40. Post #2280
    Andrew McWatters
    Dennab
    March 2011
    4,658 Posts
    I was also impressed by the way you authentically froze the browser in the woods area.
    I'm playing this right now, after reading that