1. Post #2281
    itty-bitty pretty kitty
    Dennab
    September 2008
    9,837 Posts
    Wow, that was some damn creepy creepypasta.
    I was also impressed by the way you authentically froze the browser in the woods area.
    It's very difficult
    while(true)
    {
      continue;
    }

Edited:

Also, input is disabled in case firefox does the "this plugin is not responding" thing and stops the loop.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 11Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

2. Post #2282

August 2007
    550 Posts
    I started to work on my c++ opengl 3.0 game again. I think it is going to involve space monsters and weird looking flowers. I have a long way to go but it feels good to be back.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

3. Post #2283
    C:\
    March 2011
    1,749 Posts
    I should use source control.
    I held ctrl+z until I found what I did.
    then I accidentally hit the T did
    now I have to write 10 mins worth of code again
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #2284
    It's a boomer! Watch out!
    March 2009
    1,519 Posts

Added some background textures to my game. still working on them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

5. Post #2285
    June 2008
    485 Posts
    Goddammit. The part on Source Control.
    Source Control has been something that has been completely pissing me off lately, not because I can't use it or it doesn't work for me. Because of a friend I am working with on some project absolutely hates it, he continually wants to move to FTP and it always saying FTP does what Source control does but is't as volatile. The other day he re-arranged all the shit on my SVN, in a way that removed all way of reverting back WHILE leaving all the hard drive space taken up by the delta's. Worst part is he will not read up on it, Refuses to, avoid it whenever brought up. I tried to get him to get the "Version Control by Example" book (Brilliant book, I love Version Control because of it) but he said his family would freak the fuck out if a random book appeared in his name, so I found him an online version and PDF version. Still won't read it.
    I have that book. Pretty good, even though it's mostly the same chapter copy-pasted four times with some modifications. I guess it has to be like that so you can compare the differencens between version control systems.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Finland Show Events

6. Post #2286
    June 2010
    904 Posts
    I made this in an hour or two after reading the creepypasta.

From here.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 8 (list)

7. Post #2287
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    3,702 Posts
    How do you guys handle filepaths? Some functions I have work if I ask it to load "test.txt", it'll pick it up off of the exe's directory, some if I do load "test.txt" I never find out and end up typing out a full path.

What's the best way to get/set the directory so everything can be relative to the theoretical install directory?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

8. Post #2288
    Hi.
    July 2011
    4,368 Posts
    How do you guys handle filepaths? Some functions I have work if I ask it to load "test.txt", it'll pick it up off of the exe's directory, some if I do load "test.txt" I never find out and end up typing out a full path.

What's the best way to get/set the directory so everything can be relative to the theoretical install directory?
    Couldn't you just store the directory somewhere and then just append the file name onto that?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

9. Post #2289
    May 2010
    5,401 Posts
    Setup git on dropbox
    Now im trying to setup premake,

managed to get premake working, but is there anyway to set the directory that the makefiles created by premake build to?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events

10. Post #2290
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    3,702 Posts
    Couldn't you just store the directory somewhere and then just append the file name onto that?
    Getting the directory is fuzzy - it should be sent to the program as the first arg, but that's untrue if you're debugging (though I know you can manually set what's passed to it) - I wouldn't want the entire thing to fall apart because it didn't have the directory.

C++ for the record.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

11. Post #2291
    April 2007
    1,152 Posts
    Getting the directory is fuzzy - it should be sent to the program as the first arg, but that's untrue if you're debugging (though I know you can manually set what's passed to it) - I wouldn't want the entire thing to fall apart because it didn't have the directory.

C++ for the record.
    What IDE? The dir is always passed in for me, regardless of whether I'm debugging or not. Also, there are methods to get the current working directory and stuff if you need it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events

12. Post #2292
    itty-bitty pretty kitty
    Dennab
    September 2008
    9,837 Posts

13. Post #2293
    Jaykin Bacon: Episode 3
    May 2005
    2,452 Posts

C++ for the record.
    Tried _getcwd()?, although I can't see why it wouldn't work. Also a reminder that questions are best off in the "What do you need help with?" thread.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #2294
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    Tried _getcwd()?, although I can't see why it wouldn't work. Also a reminder that questions are best off in the "What do you need help with?" thread.
    How about we use getcwd() instead? You know, to avoid having your code Windows-only because Microsoft deprecates half the standard functions.

Edit: Ah, it's a POSIX function, that's probably why Microsoft ignore it. A simple '#define getcwd _getcwd' should fix that and give you instant portability.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events

15. Post #2295
    itty-bitty pretty kitty
    Dennab
    September 2008
    9,837 Posts
    NW4gNDcgMzEgNDcgNjUgNTUgNnAgNDggNTUgNnIgNDIgNm4gNj EgNnIgNDIgNDMgNTkgMzIgMzUgNG8gNjEgNDcgNTYgNTQgNTEg NTQgNnAgNG4gNTIgN24gNTYgNzMgNW4gNDggNnAgNDMgNTEgNn EgNHIgNzUgNTMgNnEgNjggNnAgNTUgMzIgNjQgNzAgNTkgNnEg MzAgMzUgNjUgNTcgNTIgNDggNW4gMzIgNnAgNHEgNTEgMzAgNz AgNzMgNTcgNTYgNjggNHMgNHEgNDUgNnAgNzAgNjQgMzIgNnAg NjkgNjIgNTQgNnAgMzUgNW4gNDUgNjQgNnIgNjEgNTUgNzggND QgNTMgNm4gNHIgNjEgNTcgNDUgMzQgNzcgNTMgNTcgNnAgMzMg NjEgNTcgNG4gNzQgNHMgNTggNnAgNm8gNTIgMzIgNjQgNzAgNT QgNDUgNHIgNG8gNHEgMzEgNzAgNTkgNTQgNm4gNDIgNG4gNjEg NTggNjQgNzAgNTkgN24gNDkgMzUgNHEgNTcgNTIgNDggNW4gMz IgNnAgNHEgNTEgMzAgNnMgN24gNTcgNnAgNjggNHMgNHEgNDUg NnAgNzAgNjQgMzAgMzUgNDQgNW4gMzIgNzQgNG8gNTEgMzEgND YgNzIgNTMgNm8gNHIgNTQgNTEgNTcgNjQgNG4gNjIgNTQgNTYg MzIgNTkgMzIgMzUgNTMgNjIgMzAgNnAgNzAgNjQgMzIgNnAgNm 8gNHEgNnAgNW4gMzYgNW4gNDUgNHIgNG4gNjMgMzAgNnAgNzQg NHIgNTggNW4gNm4gNjIgNnAgNG4gNzYgNTMgNTcgNnAgMzMgNj EgNTcgNHEgNzkgNHMgNTQgNDYgNm8gNTIgMzIgNjQgNzAgNTQg NDUgNHIgNG8gNjIgNDYgNnAgNTkgNTQgNm4gNDIgNG4gNjEgNT ggNjQgNzAgNTcgNnAgNjQgNDcgNjUgNnEgNTIgNDQgNTMgNTgg NHIgNG4gNjIgNnEgNTIgNzMgNTkgN24gNHIgNTIgNjEgNTUgNz ggNDQgNTMgNm4gNHIgNjEgNTcgNDUgMzQgNzcgNTMgNTcgNnAg NzIgNHIgNzcgM3EgM3E=
    Directions for Pale Luna.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

16. Post #2296
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    2,530 Posts
       var dir:Array = new Array("north","east","north","west","north","west" ,"south","west",
    "north","west","north","south","east","east","west ","west"); 

Teehee.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

17. Post #2297
    Hates php
    May 2006
    2,415 Posts
    Never knew but apparently this box appears when an unhandled exception occurs in the main application thread. Wish I knew earlier because apparently this causes the exception to be 'handled' and it wont be passed to the appdomain unhandled exception handler. So basically your program has 0 knowledge of this exception so you cannot handle or log it.

Edited:

That's not a terrible way to go about it tbh, using scope like that isn't a bad thing.
    Especially seeing as if an exception is thrown by the code in the first snippet your layout is now stuck suspended.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

18. Post #2298
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    3,702 Posts
    What IDE? The dir is always passed in for me, regardless of whether I'm debugging or not. Also, there are methods to get the current working directory and stuff if you need it.
    Visual Studio 2010. Maybe because it's a windows application?

I feel that putting them here leads to a lot more discussion (such as what Jookia pointed out), and it tends to lead towards more overall knowledge.

How about we use getcwd() instead? You know, to avoid having your code Windows-only because Microsoft deprecates half the standard functions.

Edit: Ah, it's a POSIX function, that's probably why Microsoft ignore it. A simple '#define getcwd _getcwd' should fix that and give you instant portability.
    Interesting enough, crtdbg.h defines "getcwd" to:
    "#define getcwd(s, le) _getcwd_dbg(s, le, _NORMAL_BLOCK, __FILE__, __LINE__)"

That being said, getcwd/_getcwd work wonderfully, though my usage of strcat is probably not the best...
    Code:
    char *GetWorkingDirectory()
    {
    	char *buffer;
    	char *trail = "\\";

buffer = getcwd( NULL, 0);
    	strcat(buffer, trail);

return buffer;
    }
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

19. Post #2299
    C:\
    March 2011
    1,749 Posts
    I have been using love2d for some time and I would like to move on to something... sexier.
    I want something good. I heard XNA is real good, but I don't know.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

20. Post #2300
    Hi.
    July 2011
    4,368 Posts
    I have been using love2d for some time and I would like to move on to something... sexier.
    I found XNA pretty sexy.

Simple and powerful.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

21. Post #2301
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,089 Posts
    XNA is good.
    It's better if you use YogUI.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny x 24Dumb x 6Optimistic x 2Disagree x 1Useful x 1 (list)

22. Post #2302
    RUBY OVERLORD
    November 2011
    2,115 Posts
    super meat boy pro video game developers

lol:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 30Winner Winner x 5 (list)

23. Post #2303
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    Why edit out the names and passwords if you just showed us how to find them?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 4Funny Funny x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

24. Post #2304
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,089 Posts
    super meat boy pro video game developers

lol:

Wait, you connected to the SMB database?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

25. Post #2305
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    Do you think they'll secure their score system now?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events

26. Post #2306
    RUBY OVERLORD
    November 2011
    2,115 Posts
    Why edit out the names and passwords if you just showed us how to find them?
    so skids can't fuck around, only those who have some sort of technical proficiency

Edited:

also lol:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 34 (list)

27. Post #2307
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    so skids can't fuck around, only those who have some sort of technical proficiency
    It'd be a shame if their MySQL login data just disappeared right after you discussed that, wouldn't it?

Also, I don't like the developer(s). They pretty much went 'fuck you' to Linux users.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #2308
    Gold Member

March 2005
    3,028 Posts
    Well, I mean, how bad is it?
    Can you just read information that you'd have access to through the game client anyway, or is it something more critical, like login information or the ability to modify/drop records from the database? Of course, don't get yourself into trouble or do anything stupid.

Edited:

They pretty much went 'fuck you' to Linux users.
    They did a pretty solid port, I think, database security issues aside. Is there something I missed?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #2309
    RUBY OVERLORD
    November 2011
    2,115 Posts
    Can you just read information that you'd have access to through the game client anyway, or is it something more critical, like login information or the ability to modify/drop records from the database?
    SELECT, UPDATE, and INSERT work.

Edited:

Also, I don't like the developer(s). They pretty much went 'fuck you' to Linux users.
    The OS X version can't go fullscreen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 25Winner Winner x 1 (list)

30. Post #2310
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    Can you just read information that you'd have access to through the game client anyway, or is it something more critical, like login information or the ability to modify/drop records from the database?
    Complete DB access.

They did a pretty solid port, I think, database security issues aside. Is there something I missed
    I'd bet my avatar's glasses that they only did it to get in the Humble Indie Bundle, and they got Icculus to do the port, not themselves.

swift and shift you have some amazing self control. If it were me I'd have the login information up on every website I could put it on. If they don't want to fix shit, they shouldn't be using the technology.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6Agree Agree x 3 (list)

31. Post #2311
    itty-bitty pretty kitty
    Dennab
    September 2008
    9,837 Posts
    I'm staying out of this
    I'm staying out of this
    I'm staying out of this
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny x 13Informative x 4Agree x 1Dumb x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

32. Post #2312
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    To be fair, there's literally no other ways to add levels to an SQL database without connecting to the database dir- Oh wait, there's shit loads.

Why would you pick the most insecure one?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

33. Post #2313
    Gold Member

March 2005
    3,028 Posts
    they got Icculus to do the port, not themselves.
    Oh. Well at least they went to the right guy. Icculus is awesome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

34. Post #2314
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    Also, if somebody does actually screw with the database besides charliesome, IT WASN'T ME. I'M ON HOLIDAY.

Edited:

Oh. Well at least they went to the right guy. Icculus is awesome.
    Couldn't agree more. I would like him to put shit according to the XDG Basedir spec, though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

35. Post #2315
    Paid for a title.
    June 2005
    6,175 Posts
    SELECT, UPDATE, and INSERT work.

It's fine. Trust me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 31Funny Funny x 8Zing Zing x 2 (list)

36. Post #2316
    Andrew McWatters
    Dennab
    March 2011
    4,658 Posts
    Psh, hah, I'd fuck up their database in a heartbeat. I dunno, I just don't have much self-control and it's not every day that you get to work with holes as gaping as a prostitutes'.

Edited:

I guess they'd learn from it, too, or whatever.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1Funny Funny x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

37. Post #2317
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,739 Posts
    Psh, hah, I'd fuck up their database in a heartbeat. I dunno, I just don't have much self-control and it's not every day that you get to work with holes as gaping as a prostitutes'.

Edited:

I guess they'd learn from it to, or whatever.
    I love Super Meat Boy, but the internet levels suck anyway. I'd say nothing of value would be lost

I wish I had content, though. I've got plenty of experience in C# but nothing with XNA whatsoever. I kinda wanna start doing game development too, but I never know what to do.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

38. Post #2318
    Andrew McWatters
    Dennab
    March 2011
    4,658 Posts
    I think people here talk about what they're more interested in developing on vs. what they're actually going to develop.

Starting game development and not having even a general goal is just like any other project, except you're setting yourself up to fuck yourself in the ass harder.

Think of an idea first if you're going to go that path. Or if your intention is just to learn how to mess with graphic functions and the sort, that's always extremely helpful to learn, too.

Edited:

yeah, because looking up the strings is so difficult that a skid couldn't do it, right?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

39. Post #2319
    Hates php
    May 2006
    2,415 Posts
    Very easy to get the username and password. Just sniff the connection using wireshark to get the username. Then use a hex editor to search the exe for the username, the password is with it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #2320
    Andrew McWatters
    Dennab
    March 2011
    4,658 Posts
    Very easy to get the username password. Just sniff the connection using wireshark to get the username. Then use a hex editor to search the exe for the username, the password is with it.
    I was also thinking about this, there are clearly multiple ways so there isn't really anything holding anyone back right now.