1. Post #2401
    www.bff-hab.de
    Dennab
    February 2009
    7,832 Posts
    You should have made every level be a swastika.
    Or giant dicks
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2402
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,089 Posts
    Or giant dicks
    Heh

Dicks
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 8Dumb Dumb x 2Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #2403
    October 2009
    1,933 Posts
    Problems I already see:

*We provide lua51.dll as a dynamically linked library. (This opens a lot of shit up, we should be statically baking the binaries in soon or something.)
    *We're open source.
    *Even if we find a way to do some sort of authorization, you could scan for the functions to run Lua files at anytime.
    There's probably a lot more here that I'm missing, but these things come to mind first.
    Not much you can do; although if you're really desperate, you can serve combined, pre-compiled .luac byte-code and have the client stream it directly into the VM with some extra effort.

Strip away Lua's lexer and normal lua files can't be executed at all (assuming that you link the library statically to prevent anyone from replacing the dll with a vanilla one).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Egypt Show Events

4. Post #2404
    Andrew McWatters
    Dennab
    March 2011
    4,658 Posts
    My problem with that is that we use interchangeable Lua binaries. You can swap them at your discretion, and compiled code across different binaries varies. I also remember reading somewhere that the bytecode varies across systems as well.

Edited:

Clever idea, though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

5. Post #2405
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    10,064 Posts
    Strip away Lua's lexer and normal lua files can't be executed at all (assuming that you link the library statically to prevent anyone from replacing the dll with a vanilla one).
    And then someone will just inject a DLL that allows them to push their own pre-compiled Lua to the VM.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

6. Post #2406
    Andrew McWatters
    Dennab
    March 2011
    4,658 Posts
    That, too. There's just too many ways to run your own stuff: using a Valve Server Plugin and sigscanning for the functions, injection, writing your own Lua module which grabs signatures at DllMain and does whatever it wants through hooking, the list goes on and on.

7. Post #2407
    October 2009
    1,933 Posts
    That's expected. I never said it'd stop someone who's determined enough, it'll just make it that much more difficult.

8. Post #2408
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    10,064 Posts
    Someone from WAYWO would make a public exploit if the ways to sort-of-solve the problem were discussed here, methinks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Finland Show Events

9. Post #2409
    September 2001
    12,319 Posts
    You need people playing your game to have people cheating at it. I'd worry about that first.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Funny x 53Zing x 8Programming King x 2Useful x 1Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #2410
    Andrew McWatters
    Dennab
    March 2011
    4,658 Posts
    I think it's more a matter of practice at this point.

11. Post #2411
    I gave enough money to buy a soda.
    May 2010
    1,389 Posts
    Bettter (slightly) terrain gen!

Still need to add proper continents, but for the moment land will just have to be one big island
    I see you are using XNA. How do you generate that random terrain? I have been tinkering around with that problem with no results.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

12. Post #2412
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    1,889 Posts
    I see you are using XNA. How do you generate that random terrain? I have been tinkering around with that problem with no results.
    Use a 2D array, use perlin noise on it, if the value is higher than a certain treshold value set it to 1, else set it to 0?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

13. Post #2413
    itty-bitty pretty kitty
    Dennab
    September 2008
    9,837 Posts
    Sorry to rain on your parade supersnail but, have YOU read Kongs own upload rules/guidelines ? Quote: Please remember that we do not accept photographs or works dominated by words. I'd say that this probably falls into the 'Works dominated by words' section. Therefor, still flagged.
    He read the guidelines for submitting pictures to Kongregate Collab, not the real rules.

Also either I'm banned or the website is crashing a lot, because I keep getting error messages and the game is unpublished and it won't let me publish it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

14. Post #2414
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    1,406 Posts
    My problem with that is that we use interchangeable Lua binaries. You can swap them at your discretion, and compiled code across different binaries varies. I also remember reading somewhere that the bytecode varies across systems as well.

Edited:

Clever idea, though.
    Why not give the server owner the 'final authority'. Clients should be "dumb" in that they receive data from the server, but do not manipulate it, and send commands to the server (which it can choose to ignore, so if they use a script with a command the server doesn't understand it can either kick them or just ignore them, or log them and then find them a week later and burn their house down.)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

15. Post #2415
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    1,370 Posts
    I'm messing around with Unity, trying to make a tower-defense like game. I want multiple creeps, so I wrote a timer function to use in spawning them. Since it uses threading, who knows what might happen. But it's crashing in unity's code, not mine. Is there anything obviously wrong with this?

public void Timer(int miliseconds, TimerCallback del,int times=1) { new Thread(() => { for (int i = 0; i < times; i++) { Thread.Sleep(miliseconds); del(); } }).Start(); }Also, crash:
    Code:
    UnityEngine.Object:Internal_CloneSingle(Object)
    UnityEngine.Object:Instantiate(Object) (at C:\BuildAgent\work\842f9557127e852\Runtime\ExportGenerated\Editor\UnityEngineObject.cs:56)
    CreepSpawner:<Start>m__0() (at Assets\CreepScripts\CreepSpawner.cs:19)
    <Timer>c__AnonStorey0:<>m__1() (at Assets\CreepScripts\CreepSpawner.cs:27)
    And a picture, because why not.

Yeah, I need actual textures. I know.

16. Post #2416
    Audio Enthusiast
    June 2006
    2,776 Posts
    Out of curiosity, what's wrong with a float set to the interval that is decremented every "Update()" by Time.deltaTime till it hits zero, firing a delegate off?

You could make it a prefab, attached to a gameObject. And use GameObject.Instanciate() to create it and GetComponent to set it up.

(This is how I've been doing it, obviously everyone designs things differently)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #2417
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    1,370 Posts
    Out of curiosity, what's wrong with a float set to the interval that is decremented every "Update()" by Time.deltaTime till it hits zero, firing a delegate off?

(This is how I've been doing it, obviously everyone designs things differently)
    Nothing, I just didn't think of that. I'll try that, thanks.

Yup, works almost perfectly. There seem to be odd lags and unevenness in the timing though...

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

18. Post #2418
    June 2010
    904 Posts
    - oops, wrong WAYWO. -
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #2419
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    6,118 Posts
    Also either I'm banned or the website is crashing a lot, because I keep getting error messages and the game is unpublished and it won't let me publish it.
    The site's down for me, so probably the latter.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

20. Post #2420
    Andrew McWatters
    Dennab
    March 2011
    4,658 Posts
    Why not give the server owner the 'final authority'. Clients should be "dumb" in that they receive data from the server, but do not manipulate it, and send commands to the server (which it can choose to ignore, so if they use a script with a command the server doesn't understand it can either kick them or just ignore them, or log them and then find them a week later and burn their house down.)
    Because Lua is ran on the client, not magically from the server then somehow also magically sent to the client.

21. Post #2421
    Audio Enthusiast
    June 2006
    2,776 Posts
    Nothing, I just didn't think of that. I'll try that, thanks.

Yup, works almost perfectly. There seem to be odd lags and unevenness in the timing though...

Does it work any better using FixedUpdate()?
    I've never used fixedupdate so you may have to look into it a bit :o
    (I just stumbled across it while looking up timing for unity)

I'm guessing everything I;ve used the timer for hasn't needed to be so critical, I've never noticed the unevenness before!

22. Post #2422
    October 2009
    775 Posts
    Yeah, a few days ago I was basically the same, but I guess that my pissing around must have been a bit more successful

I played around with a couple of things, but knowing jack shit about perlin noise I decided to check out the standard random function in C# and build it in somehow.
    The first thing was to just spatter the tiles around any-old-how, as shown in this;

How it works is that there are several 'passes' of the generator (i.e. things like mapGenLand, mapGenWater), which all have a certain chance of spawning their respective tiles. Here for example, it's more common for grass to spawn than water. A thing about this is that you can layer the terrain, so I generate the water first and then put the ground on top of it.

As you can see, it's not particularly "island-y", so I decided to play around with restricting where the tiles will spawn, and made it so that a water border would always spawn around the land. (Side note: every square is actually a chunk, which is a 4*4 collection of smaller tiles). I then made it find out what tiles were around each tile, and fill in any that had enough land around it (but for some reason it didn't do it every time, which made for some nice lakes here and there).

Eventually I had something along these lines;

There were still a lot of problems with this code, plus it wasn't quite what I wanted, so I had to move some stuff around untill it got *relatively* nice-looking. The last thing I did was to check all the chunks around each and add a dirt/sand border between land and water, like in my post that you quoted.

It's not an exact science, but I think that's just about all you can get away with without learning how to make perlin.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

23. Post #2423
    February 2011
    27 Posts
    The hell? I'm not a super-king at backend programming, but couldn't they just create a simple API in PHP to grab data rather than connect directly?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

24. Post #2424
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    1,889 Posts
    Yeah, a few days ago I was basically the same, but I guess that my pissing around must have been a bit more successful

I played around with a couple of things, but knowing jack shit about perlin noise I decided to check out the standard random function in C# and build it in somehow.
    The first thing was to just spatter the tiles around any-old-how, as shown in this;

How it works is that there are several 'passes' of the generator (i.e. things like mapGenLand, mapGenWater), which all have a certain chance of spawning their respective tiles. Here for example, it's more common for grass to spawn than water. A thing about this is that you can layer the terrain, so I generate the water first and then put the ground on top of it.

As you can see, it's not particularly "island-y", so I decided to play around with restricting where the tiles will spawn, and made it so that a water border would always spawn around the land. (Side note: every square is actually a chunk, which is a 4*4 collection of smaller tiles). I then made it find out what tiles were around each tile, and fill in any that had enough land around it (but for some reason it didn't do it every time, which made for some nice lakes here and there).

Eventually I had something along these lines;

There were still a lot of problems with this code, plus it wasn't quite what I wanted, so I had to move some stuff around untill it got *relatively* nice-looking. The last thing I did was to check all the chunks around each and add a dirt/sand border between land and water, like in my post that you quoted.

It's not an exact science, but I think that's just about all you can get away with without learning how to make perlin.
    The treshold of setting green tiles should become smaller the closer the tile is to the center, this will make it look more natural I think
    And less square
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

25. Post #2425
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    6,035 Posts
    This doesn't work for something like aimbots. The only way to fix them would be to use Onlive and even that could be circumvented with AIs that can analyze the video stream. Long story short: You can't do shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Austria Show Events

26. Post #2426
    October 2009
    1,933 Posts
    Arrragh, premake is pissing me off!

Why can't I do this:

Code:
    project "tsl"
    	files { "*.h", "*.c" }
    	configuration "*SDL"
    		excludes { "console.h", "console.c" }

configuration "*Curses"
    		excludes { "sdlui.h", "sdlui.c" }

27. Post #2427
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    1,406 Posts
    This doesn't work for something like aimbots. The only way to fix them would be to use Onlive and even that could be circumvented with AIs that can analyze the video stream. Long story short: You can't do shit.
    I'm not attacking it from a security standpoint. This is a basic state sync setup, which just helps client A know that everything on his screen is also shown the same (in terms of memory state, not actual looks) on client B's screen. Security for something like that is to just ban the ip from connecting to the server. Or use VAC

Long story short: It's not a security issue, it's a content assurance issue. (it can be a security issue, but in what I was suggesting it isn't)

28. Post #2428
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    6,118 Posts

Fuck you point sprites, I'm making my own fucking billboard quads with a fucking geometry shader! How do you like THEM apples?!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 11 (list)

29. Post #2429
    October 2009
    1,933 Posts
    He read the guidelines for submitting pictures to Kongregate Collab, not the real rules.

If I remember correctly, I've enjoyed a text-based adventure on kongregate before.

Edited:

Fucking premake.. look what you made me do?

Code:
    find *.c *.h | sed -e 's/\(.*\)/"\1",/' | tr -d "\n" | sed -e 's/\(.*\)/\{\1\}/'
    Code:
    {"ability.c","actions.c","ai.c",...}
    Now I need to exclude the files manually. Sigh.

30. Post #2430
    King of the Oil Refinery
    December 2008
    6,203 Posts
    Super Meat World is up again, they appear to have messed with the permissions this time though, I cant INSERT into featured chapters, which I expected to be able to, and I cant run UPDATE

I think they just globally blocked off INSERT AND UPDATE, let me check

Edited:

Atleast they temporarly patched it up

Edited:

Okey, they just removed everything but SELECT and USAGE
    Was fun while it lasted
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

31. Post #2431
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    10,064 Posts
    It's still a stupid way to do this. There might be vulnerabilities in mysqld.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

32. Post #2432
    October 2009
    1,933 Posts
    What? It looks like I can't specify what files are included per configuration. Bullshit.

Edited:

Super Meat World is up again, they appear to have messed with the permissions this time though, I cant INSERT into featured chapters, which I expected to be able to, and I cant run UPDATE

I think they just globally blocked off INSERT AND UPDATE, let me check

Edited:

Atleast they temporarly patched it up

Edited:

Okey, they just removed everything but SELECT and USAGE
    Was fun while it lasted
    If they keep this up, permanent damage is inevitable.

33. Post #2433
    King of the Oil Refinery
    December 2008
    6,203 Posts
    What? It looks like I can't specify what files are included per configuration. Bullshit.

Edited:

If they keep this up, permanent damage is inevitable.
    I'm fairly sure its current state is just a temporary fix since it breaks half of the level editor
    People want to play the christmas levels you know, and making a new backend takes time
    (Okey fine, it takes like 3 hours, and they spent 4 fixing permissions)

Edited:

Oh dear fucking god, I just managed to execute
    Code:
    SELECT LOAD_FILE('/etc/apache2/sites-available/default')
    Without any errors, it returned NULL though
    The current user doesnt even have FILE grants, what the fuck

Edited:

I'm guessing if you dont have permissions for it it just returns empty
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 4Funny Funny x 2 (list)

34. Post #2434
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    1,370 Posts
    Does it work any better using FixedUpdate()?
    I've never used fixedupdate so you may have to look into it a bit :o
    (I just stumbled across it while looking up timing for unity)

I'm guessing everything I;ve used the timer for hasn't needed to be so critical, I've never noticed the unevenness before!
    Perfect. Thank you!

And now... time to make it look slightly less grey. Hmm... never messed with textures in 3d before. Or any kind of asset in 3d before for that matter. Fun, fun, fun, fun...

35. Post #2435
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,477 Posts
    Thought that you guys might be interested in this:

http://www.playstation.com/pss/closedbeta/index_e.html

It's a closed beta app for a software framework made by Sony.

I'll give a few more details about it.

It's somewhat similar to Microsoft's XNA. It uses C# and you'll be able to test it on Sony products and the PC. You can also submit your apps/games to the Playstation Suite (similar to the Xbox Indie Game's section). I am excited for it.

I forgot about this entirely. Neat.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 15 (list)

36. Post #2436
    May 2006
    148 Posts
    -snip-

37. Post #2437
    SirCrest Sexual Enthusiast
    August 2008
    14,583 Posts

Oh man. How did I miss that, that is damn perfect.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

38. Post #2438
    May 2010
    5,368 Posts

shit, i got an email a while back about them needing a psp network ID for them to allow me in :S
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events

39. Post #2439

February 2010
    219 Posts

Oh man, I forgot I signed up! Thanks for reminding me to look. :buddy:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

40. Post #2440
    March 2008
    131 Posts
    Is that SDK for the PS3 or just the mobile sony devices?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events