1. Post #2681
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    487 Posts
    Hey, sorry but i have a quick question, where do you guys get your art from? i'm just looking for some placeholder sprites ( tiles ) for a small game project.

edit:
    my bad, that was a terrible page-king
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

2. Post #2682
    Hi.
    July 2011
    4,408 Posts
    Most people make their own "programmer art" till they can get some nicer stuff to replace it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

3. Post #2683

August 2007
    550 Posts
    Hey, sorry but i have a quick question, where do you guys get your art from? i'm just looking for some placeholder sprites ( tiles ) for a small game project.

edit:
    I think a couple of FPers uses these free non commercial sprites http://www.squidi.net/pixel/char.community.php (there is a dungeon tile set link on the left)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 4 (list)

4. Post #2684
    October 2009
    1,994 Posts
    I got fed up with missing tools and dependencies working with MinGW, so I wrote this tiny bash script that installs ALL of them:

#!/bin/sh
    mingw-get update && mingw-get install msys-sed 2> /dev/null && PACKAGES=$(mingw-get list | sed -ne \
    "s/\(^Package\:\)[[:blank:]]\?\([[:alnum:][:punct:]]\+\).*$/\2\\n/p")\ && echo -en\
     "\nInstalling packages:\n\n$(echo $PACKAGES | tr ' ' '\n' | sort -d | pr -3 -atT)\n\n"\
     && echo -en "Package Count: $(echo $PACKAGES | tr ' ' '\n' | wc -l -- | tr -d '[:space:]' && echo)\n\n" \
    && read -p "Press return to install" -s && mingw-get --verbose=2 install $PACKAGES

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Egypt Show Events Useful Useful x 7Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

5. Post #2685
    Programming King and Most Patient Member 2013
    December 2008
    1,244 Posts
    Differentiation!

I haven't shown it here, but you can differentiate an expression with respect to any variable.
    You can also chain it up as many times as you like:

I'm not too happy with the syntax, but I can't really use "d x " or anything because that would stop people from using any variables called "d", which would be an issue What do you guys think? Would you change it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

6. Post #2686
    October 2011
    14 Posts
    Differentiation!
    I'm not too happy with the syntax, but I can't really use "d x " or anything because that would stop people from using any variables called "d", which would be an issue What do you guys think? Would you change it?
    cant you just change the syntax to something like:
    y = f(x)
    y = f'(x)
    y = f''(x)
    y = f''''(x)
    y = f(N number of primes)(x)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

7. Post #2687
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    1,100 Posts
    how did you do this? i tried to do smoothing ages ago and failed horribly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

8. Post #2688
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    449 Posts

edit:
    opengameart.org has some nice art.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

9. Post #2689
    Andrew McWatters
    Dennab
    March 2011
    4,658 Posts
    You mean the physical collision surfaces being smoothed, correct?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

10. Post #2690
    December 2008
    1,244 Posts
    In regular marching squares, you just assume that the lines pass halfway through each of the sides - this is why you get all of the hard angles. To "smooth out" the angles, you need to work out where along each side the edge passes through.
    It's simplest to assume that values interpolate linearly between known points - so, when the line crosses the threshold, a(1 - t) + bt = threshhold, where a and b are the values at each end and t is the proportional distance between them.
    Making t the subject, we get t = (threshold - a)/(b - a); this gives us how far between the two vertices the line passes through, giving us a more accurate position. Sorry if this is a bit rushed, tea now :S
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

11. Post #2691
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,750 Posts
    needs green instead of red :(

I'm using the accent color. It's just that it is red by default on the emulator.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #2692
    December 2008
    1,244 Posts
    cant you just change the syntax to something like:
    y = f(x)
    y = f'(x)
    y = f''(x)
    y = f''''(x)
    y = f(N number of primes)(x)
    Yeah I could do it that way as well, but at the minute differentiation works on whole expressions rather than just functions, and I'm not sure how I'd extend that syntax to expressions - the only conceivable way of doing it would be to have two different forms of syntax that do the same thing, which is probably worse than where it is now to be honest. (i.e. f'(x) but dif x x^2)

Edited:

A bit more free time now, have a terrible MS Paint diagram:

t is a measure of how far you are between the two grid points: it is equal to the difference between the value at the first point and the threshold, divided by the distance between the values at the second and first points. Imagine the height of the threshold above the first value being "scaled down" by the size of the interval between the first and second values, mapping it to the interval 0<=t<=1.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

13. Post #2693
    April 2010
    2,361 Posts
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33076954/Cloth.rar

3d cloth simulator, based off that 3d, mostly software, renderer i wrote before

uhjk to apply a force to one point on the cloth, as well as g to apply a force towards the camera and f is away. wasd and the arrow keys control the camera, which is on rails rather than independent of movement

Would anyone like to know how it was done? I made up the entire process myself

Edit:
    For the mildly paranoid: a pic

Also, the cloth does no self intersection checks at the moment, so it is quite capable of going through itself
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

14. Post #2694
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    449 Posts
    Thanks, Visual Studio, for not warning me I assigned a variable to the same variable. Does that not work for enumeration types?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

15. Post #2695
    April 2007
    1,157 Posts
    Menus are more or less done:

I added a name entry thingy for high scores. Before (in C#) it used Environment.UserName, but now it can be anything. I also decoupled the text entry stuff from the console, it's pretty simple to make text boxes now:

(everything's kind of squished, on my netbook)

I can use local app data now instead of common app data (will make it easier to port too).

Incidentally, for anyone who remembers, this happened two years ago today in this very thread
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 9Winner Winner x 4 (list)

16. Post #2696
    April 2010
    2,361 Posts
    Turns out that 70% of the processing time is spent actually drawing stuff, so its nice to know that the cloth simulation itself is reasonably quick

Ill go and fix all the software crap to be faster

Edit:

Now runs more than twice as fast. Or something
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

17. Post #2697
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,288 Posts
    Menus are more or less done:

I added a name entry thingy for high scores. Before (in C#) it used Environment.UserName, but now it can be anything. I also decoupled the text entry stuff from the console, it's pretty simple to make text boxes now:

(everything's kind of squished, on my netbook)

I can use local app data now instead of common app data (will make it easier to port too).

Incidentally, for anyone who remembers, this happened two years ago today in this very thread
    I'd love a program which can track how long you have spent on a project.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

18. Post #2698
    Andrew McWatters
    Dennab
    March 2011
    4,658 Posts
    So I was working on a language transliteration of something Voidy wrote in the Open Steamworks thread.

Specifically this code:

int main()
    {
        SetDllDirectory("C:\\Program Files\\Steam\\");

eInitError errorCode;
        if (!Steamworks_Init(eInitSteamClient, errorCode))
        {
            std::string errMsg = "Unable to init steamworks : ";
            errMsg += EnumString<eInitError>::From(errorCode);
            errMsg += "\n";

Error(errMsg);
        }

int error;
        ISteamClient008 *steamClient = (ISteamClient008 *)CreateInterface(STEAMCLIENT_INTERFACE_VERSION_008, &error);
        if (!steamClient)
            Error("Unable to get steam client.", error);

HSteamPipe hSteamPipe = steamClient->CreateSteamPipe();
        HSteamUser hSteamUser = steamClient->ConnectToGlobalUser(hSteamPipe);

ISteamFriends001 *steamFriends = (ISteamFriends001 *)steamClient->GetISteamFriends( hSteamUser, hSteamPipe, STEAMFRIENDS_INTERFACE_VERSION_001 );

HSteamCall hSteamCall;
        CallbackMsg_t CallbackMsg;

while (true)
        {
            if (Steam_BGetCallback(hSteamPipe, &CallbackMsg, &hSteamCall))
            {
                if (CallbackMsg.m_iCallback == FriendChatMsg_t::k_iCallback)
                {
                    FriendChatMsg_t *chatMsg = (FriendChatMsg_t *)CallbackMsg.m_pubParam;
                    EFriendMsgType msgType;

// allocate data for message
                    char *pvData = new char[256];
                    memset(pvData, 0, 256);

// i have no clue if steam dellocates this or if we should
                    const char *friendName = steamFriends->GetFriendPersonaName(chatMsg->m_ulOtherID);
                    steamFriends->GetChatMessage(chatMsg->m_ulSteamID, chatMsg->m_iChatID, pvData, 256, &msgType);

if (msgType & k_EFriendMsgTypeTyping)
                    {
                        //steamFriends->SendMsgToFriend(chatMsg->m_ulOtherID, k_EFriendMsgTypeChatSent, "");
                        std::cout << "* " << friendName << " is typing a message..." << std::endl;
                    }
                    else
                        std::cout << "* Message from " << friendName << ": " << pvData << std::endl;

// clean up
                    delete [] pvData;

}

Steam_FreeLastCallback( hSteamPipe );
            }

Sleep(1);
        }

// yeah we never get here, sue me
        Steamworks_Shutdown();

return 0;
    }

Which in Lua (with my lopensteamworks module) looks like this:

require( "lopensteamworks" )

local hSteamPipe = ISteamClient012.CreateSteamPipe();
    local hSteamUser = ISteamClient012.ConnectToGlobalUser(hSteamPipe);

local steamFriends = ISteamClient012.GetISteamFriends( hSteamUser, hSteamPipe );

local b;
    local CallbackMsg;

while(true) do
    	local b, CallbackMsg = Steam_BGetCallback(hSteamPipe)
    	if (b) then
    		if (CallbackMsg.m_iCallback == 805) then
    			local chatMsg = CallbackMsg.m_pubParam;
    			local msgType;

-- i have no clue if steam dellocates this or if we should
    			local friendName = steamFriends:GetFriendPersonaName(chatMsg.m_ulSenderID);
    			local _, pvData, msgType = steamFriends:GetFriendMessage(chatMsg.m_ulSenderID, chatMsg.m_iChatID);

if (msgType == k_EFriendMsgTypeTyping) then
    				print( "* " .. friendName .. " is typing a message..." );
    			else
    				print( "* Message from " .. friendName .. ": " .. pvData );
    			end

-- clean up
    			pvData = nil;

end

Steam_FreeLastCallback( hSteamPipe );
    	end
    end

I am fully aware of the nonsensical translations from C++ to Lua that I have included, such as an incorrect reading of flags (msgType == k_EFriendMsgTypeTyping as msgType & k_EFriendMsgTypeTyping) and "cleaning up" variables which do not need explicit deleting. The idea was for me to just take C++ code, translate it to pure Lua, then get the module function properly around the code.

Anyway, everything works, except for one problem with accessing steamFriends which is ISteamFriends011. When I pass a pointer to the interface, due to scope and memory issues, by the time I use any methods on the interface, the pointer is somehow invalid or something.

I figure I might be able to fix it if I add the pointer to a static map, and access the map instead of directly passing the pointer - a dynamic/auto pointer of sorts (if I were to also remove the pointer from the map in the __gc method for this object), but I haven't tried that yet.

The binding in question where my issues start:

static int ISteamClient012_GetISteamFriends(lua_State *L)
    {
    	lua_pushsteamfriends011(L, (ISteamFriends011 *)pSteamClient->GetISteamFriends(*luaL_checksteamuser(L, 1), *luaL_checksteampipe(L, 2), STEAMFRIENDS_INTERFACE_VERSION_011 ));
    	return 1;
    }

Other than this issue, it does read callbacks properly from Steam and all that neat stuff!

19. Post #2699
    April 2007
    1,157 Posts
    Meh. I've always coded it on and off, sometimes there were months where I didn't touch it. I've been on a full-time uni course since before I started too
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events

20. Post #2700
    Andrew McWatters
    Dennab
    March 2011
    4,658 Posts
    Ever programmed until you hit some bugs that would take significant code restructuring and just was like "Okay, that's enough programming for today, I'll get back to this later."?

I'm having one of those moments. :(

I think I don't have any other choice but to redo lopensteamworks to only use VERSION_SAFE_STEAM_API_INTERFACES strictly, and not give you the choice to use anything else.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

21. Post #2701
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,563 Posts
    Ever programmed until you hit some bugs that would take significant code restructuring and just was like "Okay, that's enough programming for today, I'll get back to this later."?
    All the goddamn time
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 10Funny Funny x 6 (list)

22. Post #2702
    I am forced to work in A8 Gamestudio and I have some odd bugs which frustrate me. So I gave up for today.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

23. Post #2703
    September 2011
    181 Posts
    Don't think I've ever had a project where I didn't.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

24. Post #2704
    Zyx
    Guest 3855 is lost and can't find the park exit
    February 2005
    2,839 Posts
    Made some highlight system to make it easier to see what move will be removed:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

25. Post #2705
    June 2008
    486 Posts
    Didn't nullsquared make one?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Finland Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

26. Post #2706
    Follow me on GitHub!
    June 2011
    2,101 Posts
    Didn't nullsquared make one?
    I think it just used the oldest "Date Created" and latest "Date Modified" to guess.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

27. Post #2707
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    3,702 Posts
    I run into the problem of: "Okay, this works." and then I leave it.

Then I come back to actually use it later "Oh fuck, this isn't fully fleshed out and isn't what i need it to be" which sets back whatever I was going to do a lot by having to finish that feature.

I think they're similar problems. v:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

28. Post #2708
    October 2009
    285 Posts
    Made a console program that looks at what you're listening to ( only Winamp for now ), finds the lyrics on lyrics.com and displays them.
    Perfect for all the amateur singers out there
    Only problem is this:

:/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Useful Useful x 5Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

29. Post #2709
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    4,904 Posts
    I'm gonna make a song with that as lyrics
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Slovenia Show Events Funny Funny x 15Winner Winner x 1 (list)

30. Post #2710
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    5,124 Posts
    I have the urge to make a chess application the shows you possible moves instead of being playable
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

31. Post #2711
    TVC

April 2010
    300 Posts
    You could use a commit log. Then you have how it has changed over time as well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

32. Post #2712
    May 2008
    898 Posts
    http://www.manictime.com/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

33. Post #2713
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    5,124 Posts
    I have the urge to make a chess application the shows you possible moves instead of being playable

I'm fast
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 6Late Late x 1Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

34. Post #2714
    itty-bitty pretty kitty
    Dennab
    September 2008
    9,837 Posts

I'm fast
    That's what she said.

Edited:

Sorry, I had to
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 22Funny Funny x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

35. Post #2715
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,089 Posts
    That's what she said.

Edited:

Sorry, I had to
    No you didn't.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 28Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

36. Post #2716
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    5,124 Posts
    I meant that that was extremely fast compared my average speed at getting things done
    Which is almost indistinguishable from being completely still

37. Post #2717

38. Post #2718
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,563 Posts
    Austech drew an absolutely delightful tree image which inspired me to spend somewhere between 15 to 20 minutes writing a pong game that uses it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 19Artistic Artistic x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

39. Post #2719
    April 2011
    112 Posts
    Austech drew an absolutely delightful tree image which inspired me to spend somewhere between 15 to 20 minutes writing a pong game that uses it.
    Never thought I'd see my resources be used in a Triple A game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #2720
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,563 Posts
    Never thought I'd see my resources be used in a Triple A game.
    I'm happy to be the person who changed that, good sir.

Edited:

edit:
    Contact Austech :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 9Winner Winner x 1 (list)