1. Post #161
    August 2010
    6,943 Posts
    This might not be a very depth and complex roguelike but this game is about entering a dungeon, collecting loot and killing creatures. It is random generated and pretty easy. Just visit the site for further information. There is also a pretty big demo available which gives you a good impression about the game.

Hack, Slash, Loot!7

Although now that I have played the demo for a while, the game still lacks some stuff. But it is kind of neat.

2. Post #162
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    8,956 Posts
    Hello, folks.

I'm the developer of Cult. Saw this thread and I wanted to drop in and say hello, and thanks!

I just uploaded a new video - it's posted on the blog (http://cultrl.wordpress.com). I've been on a long coding hiatus caused by a busy RL schedule (i.e. working sixty-hour weeks), but that schedule has recently been cleared up somewhat and I'm starting back on things.
    I will put your roguelike to the OP when I get to my computer, thank you for posting it

Guys, I might be ill, I started to prefer ugly graphical tiles to ascii .

3. Post #163
    October 2009
    865 Posts
    Was playing Dungeon Crawl today, decided to mix things up a bit by playing as a Kobold Berserker, things went pretty well. First time I played I found a ring of slaying +6/+6 (+6 damage and accuracy) but got killed on a wizard, and the second time I found a dagger of speed and a +2/+4 dagger of venom on the first floor. Guess I'm pretty lucky

4. Post #164
    I will put your roguelike to the OP when I get to my computer, thank you for posting it

Guys, I might be ill, I started to prefer ugly graphical tiles to ascii .
    Very ill. ASCII > tiles, almost all the time. Pretty much the only roguelike that I think really benefits from tiles is Dungeon Crawl.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4Agree Agree x 2 (list)

5. Post #165
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    8,956 Posts
    Very ill. ASCII > tiles, almost all the time. Pretty much the only roguelike that I think really benefits from tiles is Dungeon Crawl.
    Well I play DCSS with tiles because they are really nice, nethack because I found some funny smileface tiles and DF because I absolutely hate unicode tiles
    But in other RLs I (thanks god) prefer ASCII
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #166
    September 2010
    6,630 Posts
    Clarion is really good. I ran into a dungeon, completely unarmed, with nothing on me but the starting salve, and came out with 2 salves, a wooden shield, and a corpse.

7. Post #167
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    9,450 Posts
    EDIT2: Tell us how it went, when you're done.
    I decided to go with the invisibility potion first thing. I don't know if this is what caused the dragon to miss me, or if it was just luck, but it did miss. Then I blinked away, used a scroll of fog for good measure, and rested on the previous floor. I went back eventually and managed to kill it, but it wasn't easy.

I went on for a long time after that. Got as high as level 16, cleared out a spider's nest, and made way for the elven halls before attempting the shoals or the slime pit. Once there, I was having a ball killing every elf in sight (and Trog loved it as well) but then a goddamn elf banished me to the abyss somehow. So I wandered aimlessly, slaying a shitload of demons, until an efreet killed me with fire.

Would've been awesome if I'd made it out of there, because I actually found the abyssal rune of zot really early on.

And that run did end up being my best ever (once again). 90,107 points this time, over my previous best of 43,460.

I'm really starting to get the hang of the game, but I can never survive past 3-4 levels of the dungeon as a magic-using class. Does anyone have any tips for surviving with magic? It all seems so underpowered. Or maybe berserkers are just really OP. Berserk is pretty much no-effort-kill-everything mode, and if you're playing a race that can eat rotten meat, you never have to worry about the side effects.

8. Post #168
    October 2009
    865 Posts
    I decided to go with the invisibility potion first thing. I don't know if this is what caused the dragon to miss me, or if it was just luck, but it did miss. Then I blinked away, used a scroll of fog for good measure, and rested on the previous floor. I went back eventually and managed to kill it, but it wasn't easy.

I went on for a long time after that. Got as high as level 16, cleared out a spider's nest, and made way for the elven halls before attempting the shoals or the slime pit. Once there, I was having a ball killing every elf in sight (and Trog loved it as well) but then a goddamn elf banished me to the abyss somehow. So I wandered aimlessly, slaying a shitload of demons, until an efreet killed me with fire.

Would've been awesome if I'd made it out of there, because I actually found the abyssal rune of zot really early on.

And that run did end up being my best ever (once again). 90,107 points this time, over my previous best of 43,460.

I'm really starting to get the hang of the game, but I can never survive past 3-4 levels of the dungeon as a magic-using class. Does anyone have any tips for surviving with magic? It all seems so underpowered. Or maybe berserkers are just really OP. Berserk is pretty much no-effort-kill-everything mode, and if you're playing a race that can eat rotten meat, you never have to worry about the side effects.
    From my experience, magic is harder early on but easier later on, and berserker/pure melee classes are easier early on and harder later on. Just make sure to know when a fight isn't worth fighting and how to escape an unwanted fight, and pick off the weaker enemies.

9. Post #169
    Fabulous!
    April 2010
    6,483 Posts
    From my experience, magic is harder early on but easier later on, and berserker/pure melee classes are easier early on and harder later on. Just make sure to know when a fight isn't worth fighting and how to escape an unwanted fight, and pick off the weaker enemies.
    Magic is all about training your skills right.
    For easy times, go Deep Elf Wizard(I prefer Conjurer but Wizard is easier to survive with). Turn off every skill except for spell schools that you're going to use (Conjurations for damage, Summoning for Summon Imp and Translocations for blink), only train spell schools until you have all your spells of that school at Excellent. Turn on Spellcasting when you need more spell points. ALWAYS have an escape route. Start training Fighting and/or Dodge when your Conjurations is at 10. Being able to cast Freezing Cloud in Lair will make it a stroll though the park.

10. Post #170
    August 2010
    6,943 Posts
    Hey guys, can someone recommend me a good roguelike for beginners, I really started getting into this stuff. Started with Dungeons of Dredmor, then some Dungeon crawler.

11. Post #171
    Fabulous!
    April 2010
    6,483 Posts
    Hey guys, can someone recommend me a good roguelike for beginners, I really started getting into this stuff. Started with Dungeons of Dredmor, then some Dungeon crawler.
    Dungeons of Dredmor is the only roguelike "for beginners" as far as I know. I suggest you take baby steps with Dungeon Crawl, it's best in it's kind.
    You can also try ToME, it's much easier but it's more story-based rather than "competitive" like Crawl.

12. Post #172
    August 2010
    6,943 Posts
    Well, I do not consider Dungeons of Dredmor a true roguelike, but I had great fun playing it and the difficulty and complexity is something that really fascinates me about those games. Besides dungeons are awesome.

I will try ToME and play some Dungeon Crawl then. What is ToME all about?
    Thank you Jack Trades, I really like you.

13. Post #173
    Fabulous!
    April 2010
    6,483 Posts
    Well, I do not consider Dungeons of Dredmor a true roguelike, but I had great fun playing it and the difficulty and complexity is something that really fascinates me about those games. Besides dungeons are awesome.

I don't consider DoD to be a real roguelike either but it's got the core principles and it seems to be pretty popular so...

ToME, unlike Crawl, has overworld where you can freely walk around between locations, get quests, clear dungeons. I think it's messy and I'm not a big fun of it but it's got nice graphics, and it's not as unforgiving as Crawl.

Thanks, I'm glad to be of help. :)

Edited:

Almost forgot. Try POWDER. http://roguebasin.roguelikedevelopme...dex.php/POWDER
    It works on same principles as Crawl but it's much MUCH easier to learn and win. It's the game that got me started on roguelikes actually.

14. Post #174

I'm curious, why don't you think Dredmor is a "real" roguelike? I tend to be a real genre Nazi, and even I'm pretty certain I'd classify Dredmor as a roguelike. A very basic, dare I say a bit shallow roguelike, but a roguelike nonetheless. (Still love it, though.)

15. Post #175
    August 2010
    6,943 Posts
    Well, I feel like a total noob in this genre. But when I compare these roguelikes with DoD, DoD just seems pretty easy and really lacks that complexity that everyone enjoys in roguelikes. I thought that the depth and complexity play a large role in this genre.

Nevertheless I really love Dungeons of Dredmor and I really like to play it.

16. Post #176
    Dennab
    September 2008
    1,149 Posts
    Any roguelikes with injury system like in dwarf fortresses adventure mode?
    I love to read about guts being spilled out etc.

17. Post #177
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    9,450 Posts
    Any roguelikes with injury system like in dwarf fortresses adventure mode?
    I love to read about guts being spilled out etc.
    I don't think there's anything as complex as DF's injury system, but IVAN does have limb-based damage on your own character.

If your legs get damaged too much, you can't move as fast or carry as much until they heal. If your arms get damaged too much, your attacks will be weaker. If your head takes a big hit, you can get temporarily blinded/confused. And of course, it's possible to lose any of those limbs. Losing your head results in death, naturally.

18. Post #178
    Dennab
    September 2008
    1,149 Posts
    I don't think there's anything as complex as DF's injury system, but IVAN does have limb-based damage on your own character.

If your legs get damaged too much, you can't move as fast or carry as much until they heal. If your arms get damaged too much, your attacks will be weaker. If your head takes a big hit, you can get temporarily blinded/confused. And of course, it's possible to lose any of those limbs. Losing your head results in death, naturally.
    Yeah, I've played some IVAN.
    I once got my head cut off, permanent blindness and confusion, no death what so ever.
    Oh, and just gonna tell you guys, Unreal World has a pretty great survival and injury systems etc, check it out.

19. Post #179
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    5,955 Posts
    So I decided to play a Roguelike that I haven't played in a while. I had to choose between Nethack, Crawl, DoomRL, Elona or IVAN.

I chose Elona because reasons. Let the madness begin

20. Post #180
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    3,717 Posts
    Yeah, I've played some IVAN.
    I once got my head cut off, permanent blindness and confusion, no death what so ever.
    Oh, and just gonna tell you guys, Unreal World has a pretty great survival and injury systems etc, check it out.
    well if you polymorph into a zombie then you can survive without a head.

21. Post #181
    June 2010
    1,813 Posts
    So I downloaded IVAN, and merely 10 turns after I began I realized there was a button to vomit. Shortly after I vomited myself to death.

Edited:

On my second character now. The first enemy I encountered was a zombie whose arm I punched off. It is now my weapon.

22. Post #182
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    3,717 Posts
    So I downloaded IVAN, and merely 10 turns after I began I realized there was a button to vomit. Shortly after I vomited myself to death.

Edited:

On my second character now. The first enemy I encountered was a zombie whose arm I punched off. It is now my weapon.
    Enjoy your leprosy.

23. Post #183
    August 2010
    6,943 Posts
    What to you guys think about ADOM?

24. Post #184
    Fabulous!
    April 2010
    6,483 Posts
    It's a classic and a lots of fun but personally, I'm not a big fan of roguelikes with non-procedural overworld.
    Sure, quests are fun and all but they get stale after 1001th time you've restarted the game.

25. Post #185
    August 2010
    6,943 Posts
    Oh, I thought it was random generated. Because that is one main factor for me that makes roguelikes so interesting.

26. Post #186
    Fabulous!
    April 2010
    6,483 Posts
    Oh, I thought it was random generated. Because that is one main factor for me that makes roguelikes so interesting.
    Dungeons are semi-random, but the world map is static, as far as I know.

27. Post #187
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    9,450 Posts
    I managed to get pretty far with a magic character in Crawl tonight. Was a deep dwarf necromancer. I could have gotten to the lair (something that's happened to me about 3 times) but I chose to dick around in the dungeon a little longer. Then I got flanked by an invisible orc wizard, which really raped me for some reason, and a goliath beetle.

I think my pain and vampiric draining spells didn't work on the orc because he was invisible, so I had to try killing him with my shitty cursed axe I accidentally picked up, and a quasit (or some other demon) lowered my dexterity from 13 to 3 earlier in the level. I did everything in my power to get out of there, but it just wasn't happening.

Might try that setup again. I actually was doing well enough that I memorized every spell in the book of necromancy, so I just dropped it on the floor. That was such a weird moment for me, because I've never gotten far enough with a magic character to memorize every spell in the book.

28. Post #188
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,501 Posts
    Dungeons are semi-random, but the world map is static, as far as I know.
    uh what are you talking about?

Every level is random besides a few static levels. Like in pretty much every other roguelike. And the overworld is one of ADOMs greatest features, seriously.

Edited:

It's a classic and a lots of fun but personally, I'm not a big fan of roguelikes with non-procedural overworld.
    Sure, quests are fun and all but they get stale after 1001th time you've restarted the game.
    you don't need to do any of the quests, anyway.

29. Post #189
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    8,042 Posts
    Jesus, Adom has a lot of seemingly silly controls.

30. Post #190
    August 2010
    6,943 Posts
    [release]
    Infra Arcana

Infra Arcana is a Roguelike computer role-playing game set in the early 20th century. The goal is to explore the lair of a dreaded cult called The Church of Starry Wisdom. Buried deep beneath their hallowed grounds lies an artifact called The Shining Trapezohedron - a window to all secrets of the universe. Your ultimate goal is to unearth this artifact.

The theme and inspiration for this game comes mainly from the horror fiction writer H.P. Lovecraft.
    Download[/release]

I have not played the game myself, but I thought some people might be interested in this one.

31. Post #191
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,501 Posts
    Jesus, Adom has a lot of seemingly silly controls.
    Nah, it has a lot of commands you'll never, ever use. But the ones you do use are fairly intuitive.

Edited:

and my god, that inventory system. Why don't more roguelikes have this?

32. Post #192
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    9,450 Posts
    I really don't get why roguelikes feel the need to use so many buttons. Like in crawl, there's a button for eat, quaff, evoke, etc.

Why not just combine those into a "use" key? It's not like you can eat a wand or drink a piece of bread or zap someone with a potion. It would make sense if there were multiple ways to use those items, but there aren't. They can only be used one way... Or thrown, I think, but in that case it makes sense for "throw" to have its own key. And what's the point of having separate keys to put on jewelry and put on armor? What's the point of having separate keys to TAKE OFF jewelry and armor?

33. Post #193
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    8,956 Posts
    Updated the OP

34. Post #194
    May 2010
    1,964 Posts
    I really don't get why roguelikes feel the need to use so many buttons. Like in crawl, there's a button for eat, quaff, evoke, etc.

Why not just combine those into a "use" key? It's not like you can eat a wand or drink a piece of bread or zap someone with a potion. It would make sense if there were multiple ways to use those items, but there aren't. They can only be used one way... Or thrown, I think, but in that case it makes sense for "throw" to have its own key. And what's the point of having separate keys to put on jewelry and put on armor? What's the point of having separate keys to TAKE OFF jewelry and armor?
    That actually sounds like a super-good idea. I don't know why it isn't so. Instead of, metaphorically, having several paths (key-paths), like W, w, q, e, it sounds like a better idea to have more of a tertiary system, where the central function of every item is used in one button, but you can split it up into several paths for several different item functions.

35. Post #195
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    8,956 Posts

Separate USE,READ,QUAFF,ZAP,zap,WEAR,INVENTORY buttons really annoy me, they could be easily grouped in one

36. Post #196
    July 2011
    2,355 Posts
    Cult looks pretty damn good. I donated a few cents too it.

37. Post #197
    October 2011
    163 Posts
    [release]
    Realm of The Mad God

Realm of The Mad God is a Roguelike MMO where you can choose over 15 classes to go around and fight randomized enemies with no other purpose. When you start the game, you only have the Wizard, get him to level 10 and you can make a priest when he dies. Death is permanent. When walking around you will find "quests" which you fight quick bosses. I find this game very fun, my highest level was a level 22 warrior, but my life was ended by a dwarf king.
    Website (Not a download)[/release]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

38. Post #198
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    8,956 Posts
    I don't think RoTMG is a roguelike
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

39. Post #199
    June 2008
    3,526 Posts
    Old and busted, ADOM II is where it's at now.

40. Post #200
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    9,450 Posts
    How could you even make a roguelike MMO? Usually the passage of time is dictated by player action.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)