1. Post #241
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    9,454 Posts
    Blackjack is pretty much the only reliable way to get potions of cure corruption. Win 5 games in a row and you almost always get one. Though I have had very rare occasions where I win 5 in a row and get some other item.

You could wish for one if you ever get an opportunity, but in that case you'd be better off wishing for a vindale cloak, which makes you almost immune to ether.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #242
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    5,046 Posts
    I've been working on my own roguelike (and writing my own terminal for it, too )
    I was adding some nice variation to the back/foreground of map tiles, and I tried some fun stuff with color

Other than that I have player movement and not much else.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

3. Post #243
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    8,520 Posts
    I was surfing the web in bed wondering what to do, then I saw this thread.

all nighter.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

4. Post #244
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    8,520 Posts
    http://www.livestream.com/cataclysmfp?t=758690

Cataclysm (Zombie survival roguelike) livestream for a couple of hours.

5. Post #245
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    8,961 Posts
    Dungeon Crawl stone soup was updated
    [release]
    Changelog:
    New species: Octopodes, capable of wearing eight rings, but not most other items of armour.
    Removed species: Mountain Dwarves have returned to the mountains. Read why they were axed here.
    Changed species: Hill Orcs have had their aptitudes improved, and Minotaurs have gained both better aptitudes and a retaliatory attack with their horns. Centaurs have a slower metabolism, but are now somewhat herbivorous, gaining bonus nutrition from plants but less nutrition from meat. Draconians cannot wear body armour anymore, but can wear gloves and boots. Some Demonspawn mutations have been adjusted, and a number of new mutation sets are also available. Kenku have rediscovered their roots and now prefer to be called Tengu.
    Backgrounds: Arcane Marksmen are back with a Hex-based spellbook. Transmuters have Beastly Appendage (a new spell providing a temporary beneficial combat mutation) instead of Fulsome Distillation and Evaporate. Necromancers have Control Undead instead of Dispel Undead. Monks have been rewarded for their devotion to asceticism and gain a one-time boost to ** piety when they first convert to a god.
    Skills: You will now need to find an appropriate item or spell to train most skills (and doing so allows even unknown skills to be trained). Additionally, partial levels of skills (e.g., ‘15.2’) matter.
    New monsters: Blizzard demons can call down freezing cold and howling winds with but a gesture. Profane servitors are angels that have been corrupted by Yredelemnul. These undead beings radiate unholy darkness and are resistant to holy forces. Several new holy monsters have been added.
    Removed monsters: Giant toads have croaked, vipers have rolled snake eyes, and blue deaths have all died.
    Changed monsters: Reapers are much more powerful. Fiends are now known as Brimstone Fiends, and imps are now known as crimson imps. Some demons have found themselves on different glyphs. Summoning monsters bring fewer creatures with each cast, and monsters with breath attacks (e.g., dragons) need to recover between attacks. There are many new monster descriptions and quotes.
    Spells: Combining Swiftness and Flight no longer gives bonus movement speed. Mephitic Cloud and Evaporate no longer guarantee a 33 cloud. Passage of Golubria creates two portals when cast, and allows more than two portals to exist simultaneously. Lee’s Rapid Deconstruction and Shatter are stopped by walls unless the spell manages to destroy them. To account for the monster summoning changes, Abjuration is now a single-target spell. The screen-wide version is available as a new level 6 spell, Mass Abjuration. Maxwell’s Silver Hammer and Levitate have been removed.
    Cheibriados: Ponderous equipment has been replaced. Instead, gaining Cheibriados piety slows you down. Followers are no longer given resistances, but gain the Temporal Distortion ability, which moves nearby monsters forwards in time a few turns.
    Makhleb: The demon prince of destruction deals only in blood and souls! Makhleb’s invocations now cost health instead of magic. Followers will be rewarded for kills with a larger amount of health, but no magic.
    The three good gods now have piety decay over time, but each has new methods of gaining piety. Elyvilon piety from pacification has been greatly increased and piety from weapon sacrifices has been adjusted, Zin demands a tithe of all gold collected in return for piety, and The Shining One gives piety for meeting new monsters (and determining whether they need to be eradicated!).
    Constriction: Octopodes, nagas, some snakes, and tentacled monstrosities can now prevent their foes from escaping while squeezing the life out of them.
    Various changed mechanics: Poison resistance is now only 90% effective against most effects. No spells work through glass or trees anymore. The slaying property (incribed as {Dam+X}) now works identically to weapon enchantments. Contaminated (‘brown’) chunks always give nutrition and cause nausea instead of sickness. Nauseous characters can only eat when near starving and might make themselves ill.
    Items: All polearms have been lengthened and may now be evoked (‘v’) to attack non-adjacent squares (like the reaching brand). Potions of healing are now known as potions of curing, and wands of healing are now known as wands of heal wounds. Many new fixed artefacts have been added.
    Branches: Terrain in the Abyss now shifts with nearly every step. This may open new escape routes for stranded adventurers – or seal ones they were planning to take. Pandemonium has a dangerous new holy-themed unique level. The Hive is no more. Tiles players can enjoy the newly redecorated Snake Pit, Labyrinth, Vestibule of Hell, Crypt, Dis, Tartarus, Cocytus, and Pandemonium. Many new vaults have been added across the entire dungeon.
    Interface: Spell success adjectives are replaced with failure rate percentages which are coloured based on potential miscast severity.
    [/release]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

6. Post #246
    January 2012
    347 Posts
    I can not wait till these weekend, getting some of the guys over with their computers and where just going to try out different rougelikes all night.
    Any suggestions?

7. Post #247
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    8,961 Posts
    I can not wait till these weekend, getting some of the guys over with their computers and where just going to try out different rougelikes all night.
    Any suggestions?
    Nethack, stone soup, cataclysm are the best three in my opinion

8. Post #248
    Fabulous!
    April 2010
    6,483 Posts
    For anyone who's planning on playing Dungeon Crawl .10 , melee Nagas and Minotaurs are pretty much overpowered, use it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #249
    October 2009
    2,287 Posts
    Is cult broken for anyone else? Or does it just take a long time loading? I have a black screen when I click continue game...

10. Post #250
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    7,713 Posts
    What about Aurora 4x?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

11. Post #251
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    5,046 Posts
    How does this look?

The message part is done, and the line above is going to be something to quickly show some basic stats like HP and etc.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

12. Post #252
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    8,961 Posts
    How does this look?

The message part is done, and the line above is going to be something to quickly show some basic stats like HP and etc.
    Looks pretty nice

13. Post #253
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    4,554 Posts
    How does this look?

I personally don't like the shader you have going on in the background :\. But its your roguelike so carry on heh.

14. Post #254
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    5,046 Posts
    I personally don't like the shader you have going on in the background :\. But its your roguelike so carry on heh.
    That's just a test of the noise I implemented, it can be used to give map tiles variation in their back/foreground color and make everything look a bit nicer.

15. Post #255
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    10,925 Posts
    Damn Ether winds...
    Such is life in Elona.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #256
    May 2010
    3,934 Posts
    I'm curious if Diablo I and II would classify as a roguelike. Diablo I has randomly generated dungeons (I'm fairly sure atleast), drop all items on death, and tile based. The only thing about it I can think of that seperates it from most of the roguelikes in OP are the graphics, but I probably just haven't played enough roguelikes to know. Could anyone else give me insight?

17. Post #257
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,502 Posts
    I'm curious if X would classify as a roguelike.
    yeah, these questions never really make sense. Roguelike doesn't exactly have a proper definition, though the one I agree most with is the Berlin Interpretation. Diablo misses several high-value points, though.

Edited:

Diablo and such were certainly inspired by Rogue, at least.

18. Post #258
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    8,961 Posts
    -snip-
    Messed up the post a bit
    My point is that there is no definition for a roguelike, so there will always be arguments about that
    Conidering Diablo 2 I think that it may be classified as a roguelike-like, lack of permadeath is quite a big deal

19. Post #259
    May 2010
    3,934 Posts
    Yeah, I'd consider it a roguelike then.

20. Post #260
    August 2009
    9,563 Posts
    Does anyone know of any rougelikes that have less than 30 keybindings. Seriously, there are 6 buttons and they do Eat, Throw, Drop, Examine, Inventory, and Equip even thought they can all just be done in one single menu.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #261
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    8,961 Posts
    Does anyone know of any rougelikes that have less than 30 keybindings. Seriously, there are 6 buttons and they do Eat, Throw, Drop, Examine, Inventory, and Equip even thought they can all just be done in one single menu.
    DCSS if you play it with a mouse
    Dungeons of Dredmor
    I posted some "innovational" roguelike which has a few keybindings, forgot the name

22. Post #262
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    701 Posts
    I've been developing a roguelike of my own for a while and was curious as to what some of you would think of it:

Cloudy forest at nighttime

Testing some lighting

Some magical items

These pictures have bits of outdated art in (some are a few months old) but they look quite nice (I think) anyways.

I was thinking of unique ways to implement sanity in a game. Anyone have any interesting ideas?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4Winner Winner x 1 (list)

23. Post #263
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    8,961 Posts
    It's gorgeous

24. Post #264
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    7,875 Posts
    Damn Ether winds...
    Such is life in Elona.
    But Ether winds are awesome!

ToME maybe?

25. Post #265
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    5,046 Posts
    I tried ADOM for the first time. My character was a male orc. I entered a small village, turned a little girl into a pile of gore, and was killed by farmers.

26. Post #266
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,502 Posts
    I tried ADOM for the first time. My character was a male orc. I entered a small village, turned a little girl into a pile of gore, and was killed by farmers.
    what you're supposed to do is ask her for the quest to rescue her puppy, find it, kill it and beat her to death with it's mysteriously never-rotting corpse.

Edited:

~so creative~

27. Post #267
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    701 Posts
    It's gorgeous
    Thanks! I worked on magical items and randomly generated books today to... varying degrees of success.

(the inventory doesn't have any UI art yet - so excuse the black background)

Here are some magical items:

not too bad...

the name on this one is a bit "out there"

But the books...

Cool, this almost makes sense!

NOPE.

Clearly needs some work...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

28. Post #268
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    5,046 Posts
    I guess the Skilled talent in ADOM is broken (in the version I'm playing, at least)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

29. Post #269
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,502 Posts
    I guess the Skilled talent in ADOM is broken (in the version I'm playing, at least)
    It is.

It's also completely worthless anyway.

Edited:

arguably the best starting talents are Alert+Miser for Treasure Hunter. Gets you a ton more loot.

It's a hilarious controversial subject as to whether it's worth spending 3 talents on though.

30. Post #270
    im a gold member please accept me!!!
    March 2011
    1,200 Posts
    Your roguelikes look pretty kewl, guys...
    Am working on a flash roguelike (to get some newbies into the genre) and I will be trying to make it as noob friendly as possible without making it simple, gonna be fun to make!

Also, Elona died, and I died a little inside... I spent countless hours on that, I feel like I lost my childhood friend. :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Tunisia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #271
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    5,046 Posts
    I've got a character on ADOM that I've managed to keep alive longer than any roguelike character I've had before. He is the orcish barbarian, Gorback, who is illiterate and kills things with his dual-wielded spears.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

32. Post #272
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,502 Posts
    I've got a character on ADOM that I've managed to keep alive longer than any roguelike character I've had before. He is the orcish barbarian, Gorback, who is illiterate and kills things with his dual-wielded spears.
    there's a massive to-hit penalty for this. I'm surprised you're even hitting anything.

Edited:

and literacy is relatively easy to get from a quest or eating certain corpses.

33. Post #273
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    5,988 Posts
    I was thinking of unique ways to implement sanity in a game. Anyone have any interesting ideas?
    What do you mean? In terms of gaining/losing it? Or the effects it has on the player?

Certain monsters (perhaps with a tag or something like [MADDENING], I have no idea how you're coding it) could cause a steady drain on the player's SP level while within a certain proximity or even just for being in sight. Reading certain books or casting certain spells also drain SP, and it can only be recovered using certain items or resting in certain "safe" zones.

Perhaps certain very powerful rituals or items come with the price of permanently draining the player's sanity entirely.

As for effects, I think stuff like phantom mobs that appear out of nowhere and do/don't actually do any damage might be fun, maybe reading certain books replaces the text with creepy shit like death threats, or the player behaves erratically in terms of skills and magic, maybe even gaining a random bonus or penalty (penalties being much more common), for example.

I CAN'T WEAR CLOAKS!
    I CAN ONLY READ SCROLLS IN THE DARK!
    I FEEL NO PAIN!

You could also have certain syllables, NPCs or texts that might appear to be illegible, but once the player's sanity runs out they actually help (or hinder) the player as he finds himself able to "understand" them.

Or you could just have the Player Character commit suicide once their sanity runs out.

No idea how hard that'd be to program, but it's all food for thought anyway. Looking forward to hearing more about the roguelike.

34. Post #274
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    701 Posts
    What do you mean? In terms of gaining/losing it? Or the effects it has on the player?

Certain monsters (perhaps with a tag or something like [MADDENING], I have no idea how you're coding it) could cause a steady drain on the player's SP level while within a certain proximity or even just for being in sight. Reading certain books or casting certain spells also drain SP, and it can only be recovered using certain items or resting in certain "safe" zones.

Perhaps certain very powerful rituals or items come with the price of permanently draining the player's sanity entirely.

As for effects, I think stuff like phantom mobs that appear out of nowhere and do/don't actually do any damage might be fun, maybe reading certain books replaces the text with creepy shit like death threats, or the player behaves erratically in terms of skills and magic, maybe even gaining a random bonus or penalty (penalties being much more common), for example.

I CAN'T WEAR CLOAKS!
    I CAN ONLY READ SCROLLS IN THE DARK!
    I FEEL NO PAIN!

You could also have certain syllables, NPCs or texts that might appear to be illegible, but once the player's sanity runs out they actually help (or hinder) the player as he finds himself able to "understand" them.

Or you could just have the Player Character commit suicide once their sanity runs out.

No idea how hard that'd be to program, but it's all food for thought anyway. Looking forward to hearing more about the roguelike.
    Thanks for the response :)

In terms of gaining/losing stamina, I had similar ideas to you. Terrifying creatures, spending too long underground or in the dark and reading cursed tomes and such are all good ideas for losing stamina. Conversely, spending time around NPC's or resting could raise sanity.

It was interesting effects I was trying to think of, and I think you came up with some great ideas. Some ideas I had myself were having friendly NPCs appear like monsters, or their speech become gibberish. Making enemies appear like friendlies (or, better yet, floating items).

I do like your penalty/bonus system though. And I am very fond of the idea of certain things only being achievable when completely insane, such as reading certain texts or understanding monsters.

35. Post #275
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    8,961 Posts
    I have an idea
    Let's play a roguelike as a DF succesion game (You play 100 turns, write down major events that happened to you and pass the save to the next player). I think it could be quite fun

36. Post #276
    Slaaf van EternalFlamez.Ik wilde heel graag de laatste Indie Bundle, en ik kreeg deze kuttitel er gratis bij.
    March 2010
    4,067 Posts

Making a roguelike.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Winner Winner x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

37. Post #277
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    5,046 Posts
    My magical inventory, for my ADOMlike

38. Post #278
    January 2012
    347 Posts
    Making a roguelike.
    Out of curiosity is that GameMaker?
    I'm glad to see some other people using it for recreational programming :)

39. Post #279
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    3,397 Posts
    Is this thread now about making your own roguelikes? Holy shit so many people are making them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

40. Post #280
    im a gold member please accept me!!!
    March 2011
    1,200 Posts
    Well, personally am making one because there are a bunch of features I want to see, but never seem to find in any roguelike... like good crafting that is actually worth it, item enchantments like in morrowind...