1. Post #281
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,502 Posts
    Out of curiosity is that GameMaker?
    I'm glad to see some other people using it for recreational programming :)
    It's the XNA icon.

2. Post #282
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    6,023 Posts
    I am not very good at Zangbandtk.

Not very good at all.

3. Post #283
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    8,972 Posts
    [release]
    Berserk!

You're thrown into an arena and must kill demons to survive as long as possible with what you've got.Created for the 2006 October Seven Day Roguelike challange.
    Download
    [/release]

4. Post #284
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    8,972 Posts
    DoomRL have released a graphical update
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Winner Winner x 13Funny Funny x 1 (list)

5. Post #285
    December 2007
    2,827 Posts
    Anyone know some good Roguelikes for iPhone that don't have stupid-ass controls? I want to die over and over again on the go.

6. Post #286
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    8,520 Posts

throwing my roguelike into the ring, here you can plainly see the dynamic conversation system working splendidly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 13Winner Winner x 1 (list)

7. Post #287
    January 2012
    347 Posts
    Anyone know some good Roguelikes for iPhone that don't have stupid-ass controls? I want to die over and over again on the go.
    By "stupid-ass controls" do you mean like, poor controls, or controls too advanced for you too understand?
    The nethack & Slash'Em ports to iOS are lovely.

8. Post #288
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    9,476 Posts
    DoomRL have released a graphical update
    I could never really get into DoomRL. Once you get past the gimmick, it's kind of a shallow game. It just made me want to play the original games more.

9. Post #289
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    8,972 Posts
    I could never really get into DoomRL. Once you get past the gimmick, it's kind of a shallow game. It just made me want to play the original games more.
    It's supposed to be a shallow, straightforward roguelike

10. Post #290
    PM ME FOR /TWO\ RUST KEYS!!
    April 2011
    5,860 Posts

throwing my roguelike into the ring, here you can plainly see the dynamic conversation system working splendidly.
    Didn't I see those models before in some Space Station 13 remake?

Edited:

Because a singleplayer SS13 roguelike would be pretty cool.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

11. Post #291
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    8,520 Posts
    Didn't I see those models before in some Space Station 13 remake?

Edited:

Because a singleplayer SS13 roguelike would be pretty cool.
    Yeah you did, they're done up so the clothes/hair/beard can be swapped out on the fly so I just drop them into every project I do (the crowbar and O2 tanks are a dead giveaway). That pic is for a Cataclysm-clone though, really fun game but I wanted to flesh out the friendly NPC AI a tad and give it some visuals.

I've still got the SS13 file kicking about and the cool thing is most of what i'll be doing for the NPCs in my current project I can just drop into the SS13 remake, so you can have mildly detailed conversations with someone before you club them to death or launch them through an airlock.

12. Post #292
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    6,023 Posts
    Time to give SLASH'EM another go. I don't expect to make it more than 2 levels down because I'm terrible at it.

13. Post #293
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,502 Posts
    It's a coffee-break roguelike, though. It's supposed to be simple.

That being said, it's actually quite a lot longer than the average coffee-break so eh.

14. Post #294
    Ginger gizzard amateur~
    Dennab
    July 2011
    5,135 Posts
    I have never played a roguelike. Where start?

15. Post #295
    Fabulous!
    April 2010
    6,483 Posts
    Dungeons of Dredmor is the best roguelike for beginners but it's not free.
    If you're looking for something free then I suggest POWDER.
    http://www.zincland.com/powder/
    It's short and not too hard (compared to other roguelikes at least).

16. Post #296
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    8,972 Posts
    Dungeon Crawl stone soup is good
    Mouse based interface and nice UI

17. Post #297
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    9,476 Posts
    It's supposed to be a shallow, straightforward roguelike
    Ah. Well. Mission accomplished, I guess.

18. Post #298
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    5,125 Posts
    I tried playing Cataclysm, after only starting and quickly diverging from the tutorial, I managed to blow up a gas station, rob a pawn shop, and get killed by robocops.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

19. Post #299
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    8,520 Posts
    IVAN is such a fun roguelike to pick up and play whenever. I mean you're going to die pretty quickly but it's always enjoyable to get your leg ripped off, pray to a god and have it replaced with banana flesh.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 5Agree Agree x 2 (list)

20. Post #300
    May 2011
    2,711 Posts
    IVAN is such a fun roguelike to pick up and play whenever. I mean you're going to die pretty quickly but it's always enjoyable to get your leg ripped off, pray to a god and have it replaced with banana flesh.
    A turn later, monkeys probably came to destroy your surrogate prosthesis.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

21. Post #301
    September 2010
    6,645 Posts
    Whenever I play IVAN, I get a limb or two ripped off by hedgehogs, and pray, just to have it made of glass and shatter into pieces when I get hit.

Edited:

Anyone else wonder what a Half-Life Roguelike would be like?

22. Post #302
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    3,765 Posts
    Whenever I play IVAN, I get a limb or two ripped off by hedgehogs, and pray, just to have it made of glass and shatter into pieces when I get hit.

Edited:

Anyone else wonder what a Half-Life Roguelike would be like?
    Yeah I have some sprites that I made for a Half Life (1) roguelike a long time ago. They were never used for anything, though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

23. Post #303
    September 2010
    6,645 Posts
    How do I drink blood in DoomRL? I have the berseker thing, and it tells me I need to taste blood.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

24. Post #304
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    3,765 Posts
    How do I drink blood in DoomRL? I have the berseker thing, and it tells me I need to taste blood.
    That's most likely figurative. Having a thirst for blood means you're eager to fight.

25. Post #305
    September 2010
    6,645 Posts
    That's most likely figurative. Having a thirst for blood means you're eager to fight.
    It says specifically, "You need to taste blood!" Plus blood pools are on the ground where I am, so I think it actually wants me to drink it. I'll ignore it for now I guess.
    Finally died on Level 15. About 1800 kills, made a score of 12000.

26. Post #306
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    5,290 Posts
    drinking ommel urine made me stronger in IVAN. what
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 5Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

27. Post #307
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    3,765 Posts
    Any bodily fluid from an Ommel will increase at least one stat. The mythology in IVAN is pretty fucked up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

28. Post #308
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    8,972 Posts
    [release]
    Vapors of Insanity

Vapors of Insanity features:
    A big three-dimensional world, consisting of a big variety of outdoor, building, and underground locations.
    You can play both in hex and orthogonal mode.
    An original spell system, where you can build complicated spells using simpler spells as components. (think Magicka)
    Also original skill/experience and fighting systems.
    Many hopefully interesting magical gadgets that can be found.
    A variety of creatures and items to find: about 150 types of items, 150 species of monsters and plants, 150 materials (including potions), 150 types of magical runes, 80 skills and spells; some of them are parametrized. These include both the standard high fantasy stuff and more original ideas.
    Graphics that are supposed to not only have the advantages of a graphical display (better aesthetics, accessibility for new players), but also the roguelikes' classical ASCII display (clarity, allowing one to use imagination, simplicity of creation of new monsters and items). An ASCII mode is also provided for SSH access, and other hardcore ASCII fans.
    Download
    [/release]

Sounds p cool
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

29. Post #309
    Gold Member

November 2007
    8,432 Posts
    I love IVAN. It's the roguelike I've played the most.

Decided to dust off the IVAN folder and play again. So I drink out of a fountain and it turns me into a werewolf, then I decide to drink again, and it spawns a shitload of spiders.

Here I am thinking, well I'm fucked. Turns out they were all friendly. Say hello to my army of spiders.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 6Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

30. Post #310
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    8,520 Posts
    Shit like that is why IVAN is one of the funnest to play. Usually roguelikes are dotted with hilarious moments, IVAN is a series of them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

31. Post #311
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    6,023 Posts
    This has made me want to play IVAN again. Will be back once I die.

Edited:

Bitten by a hedgehog. Dead.

32. Post #312
    May 2011
    2,711 Posts
    A spiderweb ripped my groin off. I feel... humiliated.

IVAN is one sick/funny game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

33. Post #313
    September 2010
    6,645 Posts
    Started up an IVAN run, immediately I am accosted by 2 hedgehogs. My dog runs to help me, and murders the first one, but the second one proceeds to absolutely RUIN my crotch. I have a crippled crotch, and a book for a god of chaos. Do I pray?

34. Post #314
    I hate you.
    April 2010
    2,087 Posts
    Started up an IVAN run, immediately I am accosted by 2 hedgehogs. My dog runs to help me, and murders the first one, but the second one proceeds to absolutely RUIN my crotch. I have a crippled crotch, and a book for a god of chaos. Do I pray?
    Yes.

What's a good thing to wish for in IVAN?

35. Post #315
    September 2010
    6,645 Posts
    Glass crotch. Dammit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

36. Post #316
    September 2010
    6,645 Posts
    I love DoomRL, it's just really well done, and not very hard to pick up. Also mouse controls.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

37. Post #317
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    6,023 Posts

Yeah? Well fuck you too Sophos.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 6Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #318
    May 2011
    2,711 Posts
    So I kicked Kenny the puppy into a bear trap.

Then I bashed Kenny to death with a kiwi, fucker ripped my left arm off though.

39. Post #319
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    6,023 Posts
    So I bashed Kenny the puppy to death with a kiwi.
    I don't think Kenny's ever made it to level 2 with me before. He always runs off and I never see him again.

40. Post #320
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    9,476 Posts
    I don't think Kenny's ever made it to level 2 with me before. He always runs off and I never see him again.
    I would usually lose track of him somewhere along the line, then later stumble into a room full of puppy blood.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Funny Funny x 2 (list)