1. Post #321
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    8,501 Posts
    I actually starved wearing full somewhat enchanted armor in IVAN. I couldn't find the level after the first boss. Worst way to die in a roguelike.

2. Post #322
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    3,559 Posts
    Yes.

What's a good thing to wish for in IVAN?
    Scroll of Change Material is supposedly the best item in the game.

3. Post #323
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    9,239 Posts
    Did you guys know there was a roguelike for the Genesis called Fatal Labyrinth? I just found it today. It's pretty interesting, but it's also on the easy side and is a very bare-bones roguelike. There's only about 30 kinds of weapons and armor, and a handful of rings, wands, potions and scrolls. No character classes or special abilities or anything like that. The only randomized elements are the floor layouts and locations of monsters. It'd be a pretty good game to recommend to a beginner in the genre. It's even lighter than Dungeons of Dredmor.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Useful Useful x 3 (list)

4. Post #324
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    8,822 Posts
    Does anyone wants to start a roguelike succession game?
    For example we take stone soup, make a list of players who want to play, create a random character and play 1000 turns each making a screenshot of every interesting even we encounter and pass the game to the next player
    When the character dies we create the next one and go on until everyone is bored

5. Post #325
    January 2012
    347 Posts
    Does anyone wants to start a roguelike succession game?
    For example we take stone soup, make a list of players who want to play, create a random character and play 1000 turns each making a screenshot of every interesting even we encounter and pass the game to the next player
    When the character dies we create the next one and go on until everyone is bored
    I would feel so guilty if I made our character die.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

6. Post #326
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    8,822 Posts
    Dungeon crawl stone soup succession facepunch game.
    Please join if you can, I bet its going to be fun

7. Post #327
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    11,374 Posts
    Fucking IVAN is out to get me. I started a new game, all was going well. I managed to stomp a mushrrom to death without being horribly maimed. I found a couple of decent axes and a broken pair of boots. After kicking down a door I found a repair scroll next to a zombie, my boots would be of use! Or one of them at least, what ever I'm naked now anything is a step up.

Seymour and I valiantly fend of the zombie, I sever both of it's legs and Seymour bites it to death. The scroll is mine! I read the scroll, eager to take my first steps on my journey...

And the game crashes. If I had lost an arm I'd still be playing, but get a minor chest wound and the game decides you aren't suffering enough.

8. Post #328
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    8,822 Posts
    I didn't know that in nethack your pets don't like cursed items and never step on them
    Interesting

Edited:

Got a cursed ring which made all my attacks miss, turned it into meat and ate it
    My way of solving problems
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

9. Post #329
    September 2010
    6,578 Posts
    Playing Ivan, just going along, feeling amazing since I have a great axe with me, when suddenly I notice Puppy is not with me. So I go back to see where he is, and I find a room that I didn't notice before, open, filled with blood, spiders, and my dog's corpse. I shut the door and prayed to the god of destruction immediately after.

Replayed, lost my dog, picked up a polymorph ring and a meteoric steel spear, raped, turned into a skeleton warrior and had my arms cut off, and then prayed to the destroyer of worlds. He sent me into a dimension of blackness or something, but everything i touched turned dark, so i prayed to the king of gods. he smote my head off with a small hammer.

Edited:

http://dekogame.tumblr.com/gameinfo
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

10. Post #330
    June 2010
    1,778 Posts
    In IVAN, what's generally the best thing to polymorph into?

11. Post #331
    January 2012
    347 Posts
    Not sure, but I love using polymorph wands on my pet.
    Turned my dog into a lion

12. Post #332
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    3,559 Posts
    Probably some non-humanoid deep dungeon monster. Humanoid monsters tend to be only marginally better or worse than the player's normal form if they lack decent weapons or armor (except warewolves and golems, who have their own problems) and low to mid-level animals have an extremely hard time fighting monsters that are an equal or higher level.

13. Post #333
    July 2011
    5,810 Posts
    I already own dungeons of dredmor so is there any point in buying hack slash loot?

14. Post #334
    January 2012
    347 Posts
    I already own dungeons of dredmor so is there any point in buying hack slash loot?
    Umm, two completely different games?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

15. Post #335
    July 2011
    5,810 Posts
    In case you couldn't tell I'm not good at roguelikes, I just assumed they were the same.

16. Post #336
    January 2012
    347 Posts
    In case you couldn't tell I'm not good at roguelikes, I just assumed they were the same.
    No no, trust me. Dungeons of Dredmor is barely a rougelike, and to be honest I only glanced at Hack Slash Loot and it didn't look too advanced either.
    Rougelikes are fun to very deep gameplay, like extremely exciting moments that require actual intelligence sometimes. I would recommend trying Slash'EM, Cataclysm, maybe IVAN. Those are damn fine examples of rougelikes.

Rougelike have a lot of variety, also. Compare NetHack to Unreal World. One is a survival game, the other is a dungeon crawler. They also can have story lines, different gameplay, cooler generation, and even premade maps (not a fan of).

Scratch what I said earliar, Hack Slash Loot looks fun.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #337
    February 2012
    9 Posts
    No no, trust me. Dungeons of Dredmor is barely a rougelike, and to be honest I only glanced at Hack Slash Loot and it didn't look too advanced either.
    Rougelikes are fun to very deep gameplay, like extremely exciting moments that require actual intelligence sometimes. I would recommend trying Slash'EM, Cataclysm, maybe IVAN. Those are damn fine examples of rougelikes.

Rougelike have a lot of variety, also. Compare NetHack to Unreal World. One is a survival game, the other is a dungeon crawler. They also can have story lines, different gameplay, cooler generation, and even premade maps (not a fan of).

Scratch what I said earliar, Hack Slash Loot looks fun.
    If you like Rougelikes you should seriously consider playing a couple of Perfumelikes and Lipsticklikes, should be right up your alley.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Funny Funny x 2Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #338
    July 2011
    5,810 Posts
    Hack slash loot or 90% of my attacks miss and Knight is the only class that doesn't die in 3 seconds.

The ranged classes might be worth it if they didn't miss all their shots.

19. Post #339
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    1,091 Posts
    If you like Rougelikes you should seriously consider playing a couple of Perfumelikes and Lipsticklikes, should be right up your alley.
    It's funny because spelling correction.

20. Post #340
    September 2010
    6,578 Posts
    What the fuck is a Perfumelike

21. Post #341
    January 2012
    347 Posts
    What the fuck is a Perfumelike
    He was poking fun at my after work misspelling of "rogue"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

22. Post #342
    May 2011
    2,689 Posts
    I also recommend Bleulikes and Vertlikes.

23. Post #343
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    5,780 Posts
    IVAN's a relatively accessible Roguelike, for anyone who's considering getting into something a little more hardcore than the more "casual" roguelikes.

24. Post #344
    Gold Member

November 2007
    8,432 Posts
    IVAN's accessible alright, but don't expect to get very far on the first few tries.

Actually, as far as accessibility, it's one of the best, but again it is tough as nails and not in the regular sense.

The game hates you and will try and kill you as unfairly as possible. So much so, that the first dungeon already has a boss that will increasingly spawn carnivorous plants around you every few turns.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #345
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    5,780 Posts
    IVAN's accessible alright, but don't expect to get very far on the first few tries.

Actually, as far as accessibility, it's one of the best, but again it is tough as nails and not in the regular sense.

The game hates you and will try and kill you as unfairly as possible. So much so, that the first dungeon already has a boss that will increasingly spawn carnivorous plants around you every few turns.
    Which is something I think I prefer in a Roguelike; the abiltiy for it to be picked up easily, but exceedingly difficult to master. Although I guess I could say that for any kind of game.

26. Post #346
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    5,771 Posts

You just gotta plan your approach. Find wands, tons of them. Pop some acid rain on that big motha and that plant will be fertilizer before you can count to ten
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

27. Post #347
    January 2010
    716 Posts
    Still a pain in the arse to take care of though. And if your only entrance is a corner and you only have fireball wands. WELP. Better hope you'll live.

28. Post #348
    Gold Member

November 2007
    8,432 Posts
    You just gotta plan your approach. Find wands, tons of them. Pop some acid rain on that big motha and that plant will be fertilizer before you can count to ten
    Oh yeah for sure, wand of acid rain is probably the single best approach to killing that bitch.

29. Post #349
    February 2009
    911 Posts
    Oh yeah for sure, wand of acid rain is probably the single best approach to killing that bitch.
    I did that once, but then I got polymorphed into a plant and killed by a plant polymorphed into a bear. Such is life in IVAN
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Zing Zing x 2 (list)

30. Post #350
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    3,452 Posts
    Just prayed to the God of Forbidden Desires in IVAN, she sent me a Mistress Torturing CHief with an Ommel Hair Whip O_O
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

31. Post #351
    January 2010
    716 Posts
    You lucky bastard.

32. Post #352
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    11,374 Posts
    Just prayed to the God of Forbidden Desires in IVAN, she sent me a Mistress Torturing CHief with an Ommel Hair Whip O_O
    I prayed to the warrior god and all he did was make my hands tingle.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Ireland Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

33. Post #353
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    9,239 Posts
    Does anyone have any idea how hard roguelikes are to make, compared to other games? A project like that could actually make me interested in programming.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

34. Post #354
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    3,559 Posts
    Does anyone have any idea how hard roguelikes are to make, compared to other games? A project like that could actually make me interested in programming.
    I'd imagine a simple roguelike would be relatively easy to make. You could probably make one with a program like Game Maker.

35. Post #355
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    8,898 Posts
    I actually have a small prototype done in Visual Basic. So yeah, it should be rather easy to make. Only problem may be graphical representation.

36. Post #356
    Fabulous!
    April 2010
    6,483 Posts
    It's harder to program a roguelike but it's generally easier to make one since a common roguelike is pretty much all gameplay and no graphics.
    I wouldn't recommend making a roguelike as your first project though. Pathfinding and time system will definitely make you quit.

37. Post #357
    April 2010
    1,721 Posts
    Playing IVAN, first item I found was a bone, so I thought I might as well equip it. Got to skill level 6 with it and found a scroll of wishing. Being a very simple-minded person, I wished for another bone. I proceeded to dual-wield bones until I died shortly after, because I am dual-wielding bones like an idiot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Israel Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

38. Post #358
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    7,926 Posts
    Been playing Cataclysm again; I discovered archery and holy shit is it useful. Has anyone managed to do anything genuinely interesting on it though? I've found I just die somewhere along the way while looking for all the books and tools I want before setting up a base. Also, where have people managed to have the most success in fortifying?

39. Post #359
    March 2011
    1,744 Posts
    I wanna play Goblin Camp, but I can never get the fuckers to chop down trees.

40. Post #360
    April 2010
    1,721 Posts
    Playing IVAN, first item I found was a bone, so I thought I might as well equip it. Got to skill level 6 with it and found a scroll of wishing. Being a very simple-minded person, I wished for another bone. I proceeded to dual-wield bones until I died shortly after, because I am dual-wielding bones like an idiot.
    Also, don't know if it's been said before, but cloning yourself is funny as shit. Try chatting to your own clone.
    "You summoned me? Funny, I remember summoning you too."
    "Hey, these clothes are mine! Give them back!"