1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    105 Posts
    So I found these tools in the garage. What are they used for? I assume wood working, if so I have been wanting to carve.

2. Post #2
    Modelrator
    February 2005
    4,149 Posts
    Looks like chisels to me. Or some sculpting tools.

3. Post #3
    October 2008
    499 Posts
    I have some at home. I use them to cut anything i need to cut. lol

4. Post #4
    Stolt Svensk
    June 2008
    9,031 Posts
    So I found these tools in the garage. What are they used for? I assume wood working, if so I have been wanting to carve.

Yep, they're exactly that.

5. Post #5
    May 2007
    294 Posts
    They're for lathing wood
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    3,257 Posts
    Lathe tools are much heavier, those look like regular tools for relief carving. Just get a light wooden mallet and some scrap to practice on and be sure to follow through with your cuts, don't try to pry out any of the wood or you'll roll the edge and then you'll have to resharpen it. If you need to remove the tool mid cut just rock it side to side till it comes loose.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    December 2010
    2,149 Posts
    Lathe tools are much heavier, those look like regular tools for relief carving. Just get a light wooden mallet and some scrap to practice on and be sure to follow through with your cuts, don't try to pry out any of the wood or you'll roll the edge and then you'll have to resharpen it. If you need to remove the tool mid cut just rock it side to side till it comes loose.
    This, although if you're careful and are finishing up you can certainly use these with a lathe.

Fuck, I lathed out all the spindles on a rocking chair with a flat screwdriver. Well, two, the other caught a knot and the metal shaft exploded through the plastic/resin handle and filled my palm with delicious cancer splinters.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    December 2008
    101 Posts
    They're for carving leather.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    14,145 Posts
    This guy's got it. I used carving tools almost exactly like this to build my banjo.

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    465 Posts
    They look exactly like what I was told to only use for leather/lino work.
    Who knows if my teacher was right or not though

11. Post #11
    Resident Raccoon
    January 2008
    8,912 Posts
    I've used them for carving pumice rock before, I think they're just all purpose "soft material" carvers

12. Post #12
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    leatherworking tools, I've got a set just like that