1. Post #121
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    8,008 Posts
    Exactly, just don't bring your idiocy into my country.
    Once again stop relating gun ownership to idiocy.

There is nothing idiotic about allowing someone to own a gun just as there is nothing idiotic about allowing someone to own knives. You can kill a person with guns sure, but they have plenty of other functions. Just because their core design has been built around killing people doesn't mean shit for what they can be used for. Most things created by humanity can find origins in the design of weapons and killing people.

2. Post #122
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    6,959 Posts
    Fun Fact: Most gun related deaths are caused by firearms owned by that person, or one in the house.

They do not make you safer, statistically.
    Statistically, most gun-related deaths in Canada are suicides, actually. They are not licensed individuals in the streets causing mass homicide, as most of the opponents of guns here seem to believe. In America there are plenty of gun related accidents, because they have no requirement for licenses or training, and therefore do not know how to handle their firearms. Here they must pass a practical test demonstrating they have a knowledge of the proper safe handling, unloading, and clearing procedures of a firearm before being issued a license, and they must get at least 80% on this test, and 80% on a written theory and knowledge test as well. Legal gun ownership is not a threat to public safety in Toronto, and statistics of gun crime will stand by me, the biggest threat to this city is gang violence, not legal gun owners wishing to practice their sport in a legal location within a reasonable distance of their house.

3. Post #123
    GAYLORD
    Wikipedia Vandilisation Contest Winner
    June 2005
    14,761 Posts
    No I meant Americans should leave their idiocy out of my country. Sorry for the confusion.
    ahh fair play sorry mate

4. Post #124
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    6,959 Posts
    media portrayal of firearms do differ greatly from reality

They are often portrayed as 'cool' or 'problem solvers'.
    No, they're portrayed on most media outlets as evil, and that it's the gun, rather than the person, that's the problem. The media portrays guns in a light that even seeing one will result in it somehow killing you and that everyone who owns one, legal or not, is going to some day use it to kill everyone they know.

5. Post #125
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2005
    15,081 Posts
    No, they're portrayed on most media outlets as evil, and that it's the gun, rather than the person, that's the problem. The media portrays guns in a light that even seeing one will result in it somehow killing you and that everyone who owns one, legal or not, is going to some day use it to kill everyone they know.
    The two largest sources of modern media, video games and television disagree with you.

6. Post #126
    March 2008
    795 Posts
    I can kill someone with a bow and arrow should we ban those too?

7. Post #127
    RAPISTS ARE OPPRESSED
    April 2011
    12,403 Posts
    Once again stop relating gun ownership to idiocy.

There is nothing idiotic about allowing someone to own a gun just as there is nothing idiotic about allowing someone to own knives. You can kill a person with guns sure, but they have plenty of other functions. Just because their core design has been built around killing people doesn't mean shit for what they can be used for. Most things created by humanity can find origins in the design of weapons and killing people.
    I find the risk of being shot at to weigh far greater than the "fun" you can have with a gun. A knife has many more every day functions than a gun has. In fact, a gun has no every day function whatsoever. It can be used to kill people, or to have fun. That's it. We can do without guns, we can not do without knifes.

Edited:

Is it as easy as killing someone with a gun? Do billions of people own one? Do many people get killed by bows?

8. Post #128
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    6,959 Posts
    The two largest sources of modern media, video games and television disagree with you.
    The news here, the main propagation of opinions on these topics among adults and voters, coincides with my statement. I actually believe it's partially thanks to video games that people nowadays are more comfortable about guns, especially younger people, because they heard both sides, the video games demonstrating the one side of guns, and the news media portraying the other, they developed a central, if not favourable, opinion on them, while recognizing their power and the responsibility with owning them, and that with the news media saying that people who own guns should be recreating video game massacres everywhere around, and the person observing they're not, they realized the media was wrong, and that gun owners are not, as they'd wish you to believe, a threat to public safety.

9. Post #129
    November 2011
    1,353 Posts
    I find the risk of being shot at to weigh far greater than the "fun" you can have with a gun. A knife has many more every day functions than a gun has. In fact, a gun has no every day function whatsoever. It can be used to kill people, or to have fun. That's it. We can do without guns, we can not do without knifes.

Edited:

Is it as easy as killing someone with a gun? Do billions of people own one? Do many people get killed by bows?
    if there were no guns, they would use bows.

10. Post #130
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    12,760 Posts
    Is anyone saying ban guns? Gun control is not about banning, but about controlling the weapons. Licenses, tests, certain expectations and similar.

Is anyone against Car control? As that undergoes quite strict measures as well.

Now as weapons are concerned you have to keep in mind effectivity. Is a bow and arrow possibly lethal? Of course. If it just as effective as a bloody gun? Of course not. AS a result a bow and arrow doesn't really have to be controlled.

For some reason I get the impression that opponents of gun control have a greatly opinionated and wrong idea of what gun control could possible entail.

And their effectivity would be greatly lowered.

11. Post #131
    RAPISTS ARE OPPRESSED
    April 2011
    12,403 Posts
    Source.

12. Post #132
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    7,106 Posts
    No, they're portrayed on most media outlets as evil
    That's some weapons-grade selection bias you got going there. Modern Warfare 3 sold over 6.5 million copies in 24 hours and you think it portrays guns as evil instead of tactic00l?

Edited:

Ever seen an action film?

13. Post #133
    GAYLORD
    Wikipedia Vandilisation Contest Winner
    June 2005
    14,761 Posts
    that's a fucking retarded argument,

yes, if there was a spate of archry related killings then the shops should be told to be a bit more careful who they sold them to.

14. Post #134
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    9,110 Posts
    The knife crime in England has grown exponentially.
    You can remove the tool, but, by doing so, you avoid the true problem, which is the motivation someone has to kill someone.

15. Post #135
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    7,106 Posts
    I'm not saying guns are universally glorified but they're sure as hell not vilified

16. Post #136
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    6,959 Posts

Edited:

YOU DON'T RUN THE RISK OF BEING SHOT AT WITH RESPONSIBLE, LEGAL GUN OWNERSHIP, GODDAMN WHY IS THIS SO HARD TO UNDERSTAND THAT RESPONSIBLE, LEGAL, LICENSED GUN OWNERS DON'T TEND TO GO AROUND KILLING PEOPLE? Of the millions of legal gun owners on this planet, only a small handful use them to commit a crime, you're more likely to be shot at by an illegal gun than a legal one using crime statistics.

As for bows, a crossbow will easily shoot about 50 yards, they often require no licenses, little to no training, and a man killed his father in a public library here last year with one.

17. Post #137
    November 2011
    1,353 Posts
    people still want to hunt, and they still like shooting ranges.

18. Post #138
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    6,959 Posts
    I'm not saying guns are universally glorified but they're sure as hell not vilified
    NEWS. MEDIA.

They flipped a shit when a gun club raffled off a gun to a legally licensed individual. Voters don't vote based off games, they don't develop an opinion based off games, they develop it based off the news media, and the news media hates guns. Kids who don't give a shit about politics develop opinions based on video games, not concerned voters or activists, and if anything the media and activists do their best to vilify games involving violence as well.

19. Post #139
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    7,106 Posts
    I don't think you know what an exponential increase is

Edited:

NEWS. MEDIA.

They flipped a shit when a gun club raffled off a gun to a legally licensed individual. Voters don't vote based off games, they don't develop an opinion based off games, they develop it based off the news media, and the news media hates guns. Kids who don't give a shit about politics develop opinions based on video games, not concerned voters.
    nobody ever said anything about restricting "media" to "news" until you moved the goalposts

20. Post #140
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    6,959 Posts
    I don't think you know what an exponential increase is
    It may not be exponential, but ~350% since the near prohibition of firearms is a pretty damn big increase.

21. Post #141
    RAPISTS ARE OPPRESSED
    April 2011
    12,403 Posts
    You can remove the tool, but, by doing so, you avoid the true problem, which is the motivation someone has to kill someone.
    Firstly, that's no source. Secondly, what does that have to do with bows and arrows? He was saying that people would start killing with bows and arrows instead of guns when guns were no longer available. I'd like a source on that.

And no, it hasn't grown exponentially.

22. Post #142
    bye
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    3,081 Posts
    well you have to threaten eachother somehow

you don't become colonial superpower with bows and arrows

23. Post #143
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    9,110 Posts
    I met some people from England who were visiting the United States. The moment someone brought up hunting, they realized that weapon ownership was legal in the United States, and they were visibly afraid. If I recall correctly, one of them even said, "What if someone shoots us?".

24. Post #144
    Dennab
    June 2011
    2,108 Posts
    Fight the good fight dacommie

25. Post #145
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    7,106 Posts
    It may not be exponential, but ~350% since the near prohibition of firearms is a pretty damn big increase.
    point still stands

26. Post #146
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    5,432 Posts
    Exactly, just don't bring your idiocy into my country.
    oh I get it guns = idiocy

man arent you a clever one!

27. Post #147
    RAPISTS ARE OPPRESSED
    April 2011
    12,403 Posts
    There has been little to no increase in the last decade according to the sources I just found. And "a pretty big increase" does NOT make it exponentially.

28. Post #148
    Dennab
    June 2011
    2,108 Posts
    Firstly, that's no source. Secondly, what does that have to do with bows and arrows? He was saying that people would start killing with bows and arrows instead of guns when guns were no longer available. I'd like a source on that.

The source? Human fucking nature.

What do you think if guns disappeared murder wouldn't exist?

Damn I guess in ancient history no one killed each other ever they just linked arms and did cartwheels

29. Post #149
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    7,106 Posts
    I met some people from England who were visiting the United States. The moment someone brought up hunting, they realized that weapon ownership was legal in the United States, and they were visibly afraid. If I recall correctly, one of them even said, "What if someone shoots us?".
    okay nice anecdotal evidence I'm sure it means a lot to you

30. Post #150
    RAPISTS ARE OPPRESSED
    April 2011
    12,403 Posts
    people still want to hunt, and they still like shooting ranges.
    That's not a source.

31. Post #151
    November 2011
    1,353 Posts

I never said they would kill with bows. I said all the gun owners would buy bows. Gun owners are not murders. also, How am I suppose to get a source on common sense? Bows are a predecessor to guns. If their guns are taken away, of course they would go back to the next closest thing.

32. Post #152
    RAPISTS ARE OPPRESSED
    April 2011
    12,403 Posts
    The source? Human fucking nature.

What do you think if guns disappeared murder wouldn't exist?

Damn I get in ancient history no one killed each other ever they just linked arms and did cartwheels
    Were did I say that? And that's still no source.

33. Post #153
    November 2011
    1,353 Posts
    That's not a source.
    it's common sense. How would you get a source for it?

34. Post #154
    bye
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    3,081 Posts
    wasn't it just last year some mentally disturbed person got a gun a shot a female politician in the head?

why wouldn't you be worried in a country where things like that can happen so easily

35. Post #155
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    5,432 Posts
    ok get a deactivated one
    Yeah but that takes half the fun out of it

Thats like owning a really sweet classic car that you restored yourself and not being allowed to drive it.

36. Post #156
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    7,106 Posts
    also you know hunting with guns is legal in the UK right, in fact most of the people with guns are farmers with rifles

37. Post #157
    November 2011
    1,353 Posts
    wasn't it just last year some mentally disturbed person got a gun a shot a female politician in the head?

why wouldn't you be worried in a country where things like that can happen so easily
    That's why we need laws that stop the mentally disturbed from getting guns, while allowing regular humans to get guns.

38. Post #158
    RAPISTS ARE OPPRESSED
    April 2011
    12,403 Posts
    I never said they would kill with bows. I said all the gun owners would buy bows. Gun owners are not murders. also, How am I suppose to get a source on common sense? Bows are a predecessor to guns. If their guns are taken away, of course they would go back to the next closest thing.
    You can't assume that.

You might want to check what you actually responded to before you say stuff.

39. Post #159
    Dennab
    June 2011
    2,108 Posts

In Port Arthur didn't some autistic ginger shoot 30+ people? Damn why wouldn't you be worried in a country where things like that happen.

I'm joking, but what I'm saying is TRAGEDIES AND ANOMALIES HAPPEN. There is no 100% no crime pill that a country can take.

40. Post #160
    RAPISTS ARE OPPRESSED
    April 2011
    12,403 Posts
    That's why we need laws that stop the mentally disturbed from getting guns, while allowing regular humans to get guns.
    Which is called gun control... Can you not read or something?