1. Post #281
    RAPISTS ARE OPPRESSED
    April 2011
    12,403 Posts
    One thing annoys me more than any other in this debate That those against gun control seem to believe that owning a gun is a universal right.

I'm not a huge fan of guns, I can accept them in necessary cases, but I don't want guns in my possesion, or anywhere near me. I don't care about the fact you were raised around them, just keep them away from me.

For that matter, why don't you guys consider excercising your constitutional right for once. I see a huge amount of dissent in news threads about American politics, yet no one seems to do anything but bitch.
    Exactly, why don't they try and exercise the rights they so much try to defend.

2. Post #282
    Streetwise Angel Booksmart Devil
    January 2010
    3,029 Posts
    You know what, my family just bought our second Chinese AK last weekend, and it is fun as hell to shoot. We did not buy it for the purpose of home defense, we bought it for the fact that it was a good price, and our first one was already a lot of fun. Same with our Mosins, etc. The guns we keep for defense are locked up and hidden away, and kept unloaded in most situations. We live in a small town in the Northeast US, but as my father is an ex-cop, he likes to keep guns around, and wants to make sure all of us know gun etiquette. Myself, I'm not big into guns, I don't want 17 of them in my apartment or home. However, what I do want is a reliable handgun that I know how to use, and is fun to shoot. Something that is good for target as well as defense, and if the situation arises, I can rely on to function properly.

I'm not like my family. I'm not super wary of the government, I don't stock tons of food in the basement because I'm afraid of some sort of manmade disaster, however I would like to keep a gun in my home. Simply for the same reason I carry a window breaker/seatbelt cutter. I don't ever want to be in the situation where I am forced to use it, but I would like to have it nonetheless.

3. Post #283
    September 2011
    77 Posts
    Exactly, why don't they try and exercise the rights they so much try to defend.
    the problem is that that's what congress can't seem to get in their heads. We want to exercise our constitutional but congress wants more and more gun control which make it harder and harder to exercise our right. We wouldn't be "bitching" about it if congress would just back off and enforce the gun control laws we already have.

4. Post #284
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    6,950 Posts
    the problem is that that's what congress can't seem to get in their heads. We want to exercise our constitutional but congress wants more and more gun control which make it harder and harder to exercise our right. We wouldn't be "bitching" about it if congress would just back off and enforce the gun control laws we already have.
    Look, right fucking now is the best Goddamn time to use the Second Amendment for what it was designed for, keeping a corrupt government in line, and you're doing fuck-all about it. Your country is about to get turned into China, with disgusting censorship of the internet at the discretion of greedy corporations, and Senate electing to have a military police state enforced on American soil resulting in the indefinite detention of American citizens, if there was ever a fucking time to use that amendment to save your fucking country it's now, but all of you lazy assholes are just sitting there, expecting the idiots at congress to have sense and just watching the fucking world burn. I don't think protests are going to cut it anymore, you need to exercise your Second Amendment right by starting an armed riot on the steps of the capitol, it's the only way your congress and senate will listen to you anymore, and remember that YOU have the power to kick them out of office and YOU are the ones who run the country. They're not talking about gun control, they're talking about the purpose of the Second Amendment, and how people keep saying "It's there to help us overthrow an oppressive government," and yet the government is at its most corrupt and oppressive it's ever been and you do FUCK ALL about it.

Stop fucking sitting around, e-mailing or petitioning a corrupt asshole of a senator/congressman won't do fuck all to stop them voting for a piece of oppressive shit that defies your constitution, or the First Amendment, they need to be reminded of why the Second one exists, and that they're not there to be bought out by greedy asshole corporations, they're there to be YOUR voice.

Stop talking about why the Second Amendment exists if you're not going to use it, and right now is the fucking time to use it, if not to eliminate congress and senate then to scare them, and remind them you're watching, and if they get out of line, they're done.

5. Post #285
    September 2011
    77 Posts
    Look, right fucking now is the best Goddamn time to use the Second Amendment for what it was designed for, keeping a corrupt government in line, and you're doing fuck-all about it. Your country is about to get turned into China, with disgusting censorship of the internet at the discretion of greedy corporations, and Senate electing to have a military police state enforced on American soil resulting in the indefinite detention of American citizens, if there was ever a fucking time to use that amendment to save your fucking country it's now, but all of you lazy assholes are just sitting there, expecting the idiots at congress to have sense and just watching the fucking world burn. I don't think protests are going to cut it anymore, you need to exercise your Second Amendment right by starting an armed riot on the steps of the capitol, it's the only way your congress and senate will listen to you anymore, and remember that YOU have the power to kick them out of office and YOU are the ones who run the country. They're not talking about gun control, they're talking about the purpose of the Second Amendment, and how people keep saying "It's there to help us overthrow an oppressive government," and yet the government is at its most corrupt and oppressive it's ever been and you do FUCK ALL about it.

Stop fucking sitting around, e-mailing or petitioning a corrupt asshole of a senator/congressman won't do fuck all to stop them voting for a piece of oppressive shit that defies your constitution, or the First Amendment, they need to be reminded of why the Second one exists, and that they're not there to be bought out by greedy asshole corporations, they're there to be YOUR voice.

Stop talking about why the Second Amendment exists if you're not going to use it, and right now is the fucking time to use it, if not to eliminate congress and senate then to scare them, and remind them you're watching, and if they get out of line, they're done.
    You sir are completely idiotic. What you're saying is what is happening in greece, and all over the middle east. You seriously expect everyone to take guns and start shooting up the capitol??!! Your fucking insane! Thats what gets countries even deeper into trouble! We're having a new election in 2012, and if newt gingrich or mitt romney get elected I am sure without a doubt this country will get back on track. You're like an anarchist or something, who thinks that all problems can be solved using weapons and not diplomacy. Your ideas will make this country into a horrible rubble. Get your mind fixed.

6. Post #286
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    1,077 Posts

You realize you just proposed an armed rebellion to a problem that can be solved peacefully, right?

Shit is fucked up in this country, but its not bad enough that we need to start riding up to the capitol building and start killing people. Its not that bad, yet.

7. Post #287
    RAPISTS ARE OPPRESSED
    April 2011
    12,403 Posts
    You realize you just proposed an armed rebellion to a problem that can be solved peacefully, right?

Shit is fucked up in this country, but its not bad enough that we need to start riding up to the capitol building and start killing people. Its not that bad, yet.
    I'm not too sure about that.

8. Post #288
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    1,077 Posts
    I'm not too sure about that.
    Then I invite you to come over here and start it. I have a good life, it sure as hell isn't worth throwing away because some shit has gone wrong. Its really easy to sit in the Netherlands, or Canada and say
    "WELL THOSE AMERICANS HAVE GUNS FOR A REASON, THEY SHOULD GO FUCK SHIT UP"
    But in reality it isn't that fucking easy. I know this may shock some of you, but you can get in some serious shit for doing that.

We have guns to use them if it is needed, the only time I think its needed is in the event of martial law or total social collapse.

Now, I'm not saying I'm happy with how stuff is going, but it sure as hell doesn't warrant an armed rebellion. Period.

9. Post #289
    RAPISTS ARE OPPRESSED
    April 2011
    12,403 Posts
    Then I invite you to come over here and start it. I have a good life, it sure as hell isn't worth throwing away because some shit has gone wrong. Its really easy to sit in the Netherlands, or Canada and say
    "WELL THOSE AMERICANS HAVE GUNS FOR A REASON, THEY SHOULD GO FUCK SHIT UP"
    But in reality it isn't that fucking easy. I know this may shock some of you, but you can get in some serious shit for doing that.

We have guns to use them if it is needed, the only time I think its needed is in the event of martial law or total social collapse.

Now, I'm not saying I'm happy with how stuff is going, but it sure as hell doesn't warrant an armed rebellion. Period.
    Uh I'm not American if you hadn't noticed.

10. Post #290
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    1,077 Posts
    Uh I'm not American if you hadn't noticed.
    "Netherlands"

11. Post #291
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    6,950 Posts
    You sir are completely idiotic. What you're saying is what is happening in greece, and all over the middle east. You seriously expect everyone to take guns and start shooting up the capitol??!! Your fucking insane! Thats what gets countries even deeper into trouble! We're having a new election in 2012, and if newt gingrich or mitt romney get elected I am sure without a doubt this country will get back on track. You're like an anarchist or something, who thinks that all problems can be solved using weapons and not diplomacy. Your ideas will make this country into a horrible rubble. Get your mind fixed.
    You're calling me idiotic and yet you're supporting the Republicans? They're the reason your country is fucked, they're bought out by corporations and not letting the democrats pass anything.

Moreover, you keep arguing about your Second Amendment and what it's there for, I just fucking told you what it's there for, and I can guarantee you without a democrat majority in the House and Senate next election, your country will only descend farther into a police state. The point of the Second is to give you the ability to have an armed rebellion, to keep the government in check and remind them you're the ones in power, not them. It seems now congress and the senate have forgotten that fact, and I doubt anything at this point except scaring the shit out of them will make them remember. If SOPA and the NDAA pass, your country will be no better in terms of freedom than China, one of the most widely known oppressive dictatorships. Land of the free my ass. If you love your Second fucking amendment so Goddamn much why are you so afraid to talk about one of its main purposes? And I'm not the first to talk about this intention of the amendment, Penn and Teller did in a series they did called "Bullshit about Guns."

Your congress and senate need a fucking wakeup call, and 2012's election may be too late. Your democratic system is fundamentally flawed anyways, and goes against what your founding fathers believed in. They made it so any man can run for President, and it turned into the leader of one of two parties can run for president. You need a third, at least, party to even out the mix and bring some sense and third opinion into your congress, else it'll be the same corrupt fucks who keep getting re-elected, and you'll all be too scared to think about what you truly can do about it.

I don't think anyone will disagree that the US is fucked and getting worse, they will, however, disagree about methods of trying to save it. I'm suggesting a strong reminder to congress that if they step out of line, they're done. Show up there with guns, and sit on capitol hill, chanting something like "We're watching." Congress would shit a brick, and that's what they need, something to make them shit a brick, and shock them back into remembering they are supposed to serve the people, not the corporations. By the time it gets bad enough that you'll need to actually take up arms and shoot something, you may not be able to. If you think gun control is bad there now, after this it can only get worse, and guns are the next thing I can see being on the chopping block after they pass SOPA and the NDAA.

I'm not telling you to kill congress, not yet, I'm telling you to scare them. They need a wakeup call, hell, they've needed one since the Patriot Act. Saying shit like this is covered under your first amendment, as Penn and Teller reminded everyone at the end of their program. If the amendment isn't used for what it's designed for, why have it in the first place? Stand up and fucking do something, before it's too late, which it may already be, SPOA gets voted on today.

Or, if you don't want to see if your likely corrupt congressman will do anything, or senator, by contacting them, and you're not willing to stand up and at least protest the slow destruction of your country and its ideals, you could always sit around and, like everyone else, say "It'll never pass," and then when it does continue to do nothing while your freedoms continue to be robbed from you. If you don't stand up now, I have a feeling your "right" to bear arms will be next on the list of things to restrict/eliminate, and by then it may be too late to stand up, as those who so will be locked away forever under the NDAA provisions for even suggesting doing something against the government, an ability supposedly protected by your First Amendment.

12. Post #292
    July 2009
    4,510 Posts
    You're calling me idiotic and yet you're supporting the Republicans? They're the reason your country is fucked, they're bought out by corporations and not letting the democrats pass anything.

Moreover, you keep arguing about your Second Amendment and what it's there for, I just fucking told you what it's there for, and I can guarantee you without a democrat majority in the House and Senate next election, your country will only descend farther into a police state. The point of the Second is to give you the ability to have an armed rebellion, to keep the government in check and remind them you're the ones in power, not them. It seems now congress and the senate have forgotten that fact, and I doubt anything at this point except scaring the shit out of them will make them remember. If SOPA and the NDAA pass, your country will be no better in terms of freedom than China, one of the most widely known oppressive dictatorships. Land of the free my ass. If you love your Second fucking amendment so Goddamn much why are you so afraid to talk about one of its main purposes? And I'm not the first to talk about this intention of the amendment, Penn and Teller did in a series they did called "Bullshit about Guns."

Your congress and senate need a fucking wakeup call, and 2012's election may be too late. Your democratic system is fundamentally flawed anyways, and goes against what your founding fathers believed in. They made it so any man can run for President, and it turned into the leader of one of two parties can run for president. You need a third, at least, party to even out the mix and bring some sense and third opinion into your congress, else it'll be the same corrupt fucks who keep getting re-elected, and you'll all be too scared to think about what you truly can do about it.

I don't think anyone will disagree that the US is fucked and getting worse, they will, however, disagree about methods of trying to save it. I'm suggesting a strong reminder to congress that if they step out of line, they're done. Show up there with guns, and sit on capitol hill, chanting something like "We're watching." Congress would shit a brick, and that's what they need, something to make them shit a brick, and shock them back into remembering they are supposed to serve the people, not the corporations. By the time it gets bad enough that you'll need to actually take up arms and shoot something, you may not be able to. If you think gun control is bad there now, after this it can only get worse, and guns are the next thing I can see being on the chopping block after they pass SOPA and the NDAA.

I'm not telling you to kill congress, not yet, I'm telling you to scare them. They need a wakeup call, hell, they've needed one since the Patriot Act. Saying shit like this is covered under your first amendment, as Penn and Teller reminded everyone at the end of their program. If the amendment isn't used for what it's designed for, why have it in the first place? Stand up and fucking do something, before it's too late, which it may already be, SPOA gets voted on today.

Or, if you don't want to see if your likely corrupt congressman will do anything, or senator, by contacting them, and you're not willing to stand up and at least protest the slow destruction of your country and its ideals, you could always sit around and, like everyone else, say "It'll never pass," and then when it does continue to do nothing while your freedoms continue to be robbed from you. If you don't stand up now, I have a feeling your "right" to bear arms will be next on the list of things to restrict/eliminate, and by then it may be too late to stand up, as those who so will be locked away forever under the NDAA provisions for even suggesting doing something against the government, an ability supposedly protected by your First Amendment.
    By "your country is fucked" I assume you mean in terms of both the economy and the NDAA/SOPA bills? First of all, the economy got this way not by Republicans, but because of the manipulation of subprime loans to earn a profit from failure, but that is a debate for another day. Saying that only Republicans are bought out is a fallacy. I can say without a shred of doubt that there are plenty of Democrat Senators and Representatives who are bought. This would be why bills like the NDAA and SOPA receive such bipartisan support.

In my opinion, the 2nd amendment is a great thing that we should enjoy. You know the old saying, "Outlaw guns and only outlaws will have guns." One of the reasons I like the amendment is imagine if the U.S. got invaded, not only would the attacking force have to deal with the might of the U.S. military, they would also have the problem of every self-proclaimed "patriot" in the nation taking potshots at them whenever given the chance.

Allow me to bring up something known as the Truman Doctrine.

Harry S. Truman posted:
    At the present moment in world history nearly every nation must choose between alternative ways of life. The choice is too often not a free one.
    One way of life is based upon the will of the majority, and is distinguished by free institutions, representative government, free elections, guarantees of individual liberty, freedom of speech and religion, and freedom from political oppression.
    The second way of life is based upon the will of a minority forcibly imposed upon the majority. It relies upon terror and oppression, a controlled press and radio; fixed elections, and the suppression of personal freedoms.
    I believe that it must be the policy of the United States to support free peoples who are resisting attempted subjugation by armed minorities or by outside pressures.
    I believe that we must assist free peoples to work out their own destinies in their own way.
    Showing up on Capitol Hill would paint a horribly wrong picture of what a movement is trying to accomplish.

Generally, what I want accomplished in this country is:
    An end to corporate personhood and a fair election process that replaces FPTP with a better alternative.
    Multiple parties of relatively equal power in government
    Legislation and encouragement from government to make America manufacture more goods, increase exports, and support a green economy.

And that's all I can recall at the moment.

Showing up with guns and making demands is no different than the actions of any terrorist organizations out there. The fact is, no matter how strongly you feel or support something there will be people who disagree with you. If we did that now, the media would label us criminals and we'd be thrown in jail, with the rest of America glad we're locked away. The proper, no, the only way we can enact real change in this country is to enlighten our fellow Americans and educate them on the horrors our government is subjecting us to and why they should stand with us against it. Only through supporting independents, people with no obligations to party standards or blocs, can we get through this. And then, if they continue to take corporate money and fail to listen to us, then we will still not act rashly. We should instigate what Occupy Wall Street is currently doing, but on a much larger scale.

[drama]
    CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE.
    At that point it would be clear that only by running this country into the ground, can it rise into the heavens.
    [/drama]

13. Post #293
    November 2011
    1,353 Posts

Yeah, we should revolt because of a bill that allows the U.S. army to detain FOREIGNERS, not U.S. citizens. And do you really think we can take down the U.S. Army? we have the greatest Army in the world. The U.S. is not becoming a police state, and a revolution will do jack shit.

Edited:

anarchists are mostly anti-violence.

14. Post #294
    Hi, my name is mastermaul, and I'm a butt.
    January 2008
    8,329 Posts
    For that matter, why don't you guys consider excercising your constitutional right for once. I see a huge amount of dissent in news threads about American politics, yet no one seems to do anything but bitch.
    They don't do anything but bitch because they have had the belief that they can't do anything instilled in them. You have to face the facts that, historically, the masses have been for the most part complacent, unintelligent, and willing to give up freedoms for a sense of security. This still applies to this day. The small groups of people who understand that the people, through sheer numbers, have the final say in government and are willing to fight to keep the government in place are too low in number, often branded "fanatics" (no matter their political nature) because they don't conform to the popular practice of complacency and indifference.

The general public is without foresight. The only time the masses ever take meaningful (violent) action against their government is long after they have been pushed too far.

Edited:

We're having a new election in 2012, and if newt gingrich or mitt romney get elected I am sure without a doubt this country will get back on track.
    I'm honestly not sure where you get the idea that the president has enough power to drastically change things in such ways.

15. Post #295
    RAPISTS ARE OPPRESSED
    April 2011
    12,403 Posts
    Yeah, we should revolt because of a bill that allows the U.S. army to detain FOREIGNERS, not U.S. citizens. And do you really think we can take down the U.S. Army? we have the greatest Army in the world. The U.S. is not becoming a police state, and a revolution will do jack shit.

Edited:

anarchists are mostly anti-violence.
    No I'm pretty sure the bill allows the military to detain US citizens too.

16. Post #296
    Captain Armed Dildo, Master of Ratings
    February 2011
    5,470 Posts
    He can veto stupid laws.
    where is rating?

17. Post #297
    Hi, my name is mastermaul, and I'm a butt.
    January 2008
    8,329 Posts
    He can veto stupid laws.
    Which can then be voted on again and passed.

If there's already a majority holding his power to veto makes absolutely no difference.

18. Post #298
    RAPISTS ARE OPPRESSED
    April 2011
    12,403 Posts
    He can veto stupid laws.
    where is rating?
    He has already said he won't veto NDAA..

19. Post #299
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    5,681 Posts
    The only problem that occurs without gun control are stupid people, who carry guns to kill people, or leave them out so their kids blow their brains out, or they get shot in the leg because they stick it in their waist.
    The small percentage of idiots makes guns look bad. I'm no gun freak but I love old guns

But those are terrible arguements
    Accelerated natural selection. Putting laws in place won't change that.

20. Post #300
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    5,943 Posts
    We're having a new election in 2012, and if newt gingrich or mitt romney get elected I am sure without a doubt this country will get back on track.
    As much as I dislike your choice of president for the election, I do not believe the problems are necessarily stemming from the Executive Branch, but from the Legislative. Too many congressmen are bought and there are deep divides between Democrats and Republicans on key issues, causing nothing major to get done.

21. Post #301
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    5,681 Posts
    I mean sorry to be the bearer of bad news, people, but people die. Shocker, isn't it? Saying "You can't do that!" won't change anything. And if you think it will, well, think again. Criminals will still do it and not get caught, while innocent people will trip the wire accidentally and go to jail for things they didn't mean to do.

22. Post #302
    Captain Armed Dildo, Master of Ratings
    February 2011
    5,470 Posts
    You know what, gun control is stupid because the criminals that use them are going to get them illegally, probably cheaper too. They won't waste what little money they have on firearms that will be registered and traceable. I think restricting automatic firearms is smart because then you can make those who own them have a license earned after free/cheap classes.

23. Post #303
    November 2011
    1,353 Posts
    No I'm pretty sure the bill allows the military to detain US citizens too.
    b) Applicability to United States Citizens and Lawful Resident Aliens-
    (1) UNITED STATES CITIZENS- The requirement to detain a person in military custody under this section does not extend to citizens of the United States.
    (2) LAWFUL RESIDENT ALIENS- The requirement to detain a person in military custody under this section does not extend to a lawful resident alien of the United States on the basis of conduct taking place within the United States, except to the extent permitted by the Constitution of the United States.

24. Post #304
    December 2009
    1,498 Posts
    Just wanted to point out that this video isn't legitimate, well it is but the robber isn't. He's been convicted of robberies using the same polite robber routine before and has no children.

25. Post #305
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    2,954 Posts
    Because it is and I consider it a pipe dream?
    The EU defines poverty as an income below 60% of the median income in the same country. There are several ways you can increase the income of those living below the poverty line. These methods include:

1. Progressive taxation: those with low incomes pay considerably less of their income in taxes.
    2. Welfare: nobody should be too poor to buy food and have a home, so subsidising food and rent for people who otherwise couldn't afford it would make the country less poor.
    3. Free and universal healthcare: everyone should be able to afford being sick or injured.

These methods reduce the poverty amongst the lower income class, and consequently their incentive to commit crimes, and that's why these methods work, whether you agree with them or not.

26. Post #306
    RAPISTS ARE OPPRESSED
    April 2011
    12,403 Posts
    The EU defines poverty as an income below 60% of the median income in the same country. There are several ways you can increase the income of those living below the poverty line. These methods include:

1. Progressive taxation: those with low incomes pay considerably less of their income in taxes.
    2. Welfare: nobody should be too poor to buy food and have a home, so subsidising food and rent for people who otherwise couldn't afford it would make the country less poor.
    3. Free and universal healthcare: everyone should be able to afford being sick or injured.

These methods reduces the poverty amongst the lower income class, and consequently their incentive to commit crimes, and that's why these methods work, whether you agree with them or not.
    Doesn't work because Merricaaaa Land of the Free!!.!

27. Post #307

September 2009
    66 Posts
    -[REMOVED]

28. Post #308
    Dennab
    June 2011
    2,108 Posts
    How is Gun Control idiotic? It really depends on the mentality of the people and the region. For a country like America, it can not happen as the mentality and country's structure depend on the use of firearms.. Which is rather unfortunate. Most civilized countries have already applied policies to regulate weaponry. I really have no reason to have a weapon. I have a phone to call the Authorities if I feel I'm in danger. Americans can legally shoot home-intruders, or those who trespass onto their property which is something that was so foreign to me when I first immigrated. Everytime their Government suggests they share, Americans cry "Socialism!!!", and equip their guns. I really do not see why I would require a firearm, a sidearm, or a automatic weapon but Americans feel they need it. It's sad, really. Americans see some of their civil liberties torn away, but feel free compared to other countries because atleast they still have their guns. I'm a supporter of Gun-Control, but not here. It can't happen here because of the mentality of the people, the region, and the flawed structure that allows criminals to own, operate, purchase and distribute weaponry, cheat the court system and cry "I have rights!", despite their disregard for human rights for other human-beings.
    The stupid burns my eyes.

I'd go into more detail but I'll address one of your points.

"phone to call the police"

Guess what, the police aren't your personal army that shows up on command. They are rarely there on time when you need them the most. You really want to rely on someone else when it comes to your life?

29. Post #309
    July 2011
    145 Posts
    I really have no reason to have a weapon. I have a phone to call the Authorities if I feel I'm in danger.
    So you'll disregard any prospect for personal responsibility and put your life on the line in hopes that someone will come and save you? Wow, you will definitely get what's coming to you.

30. Post #310
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    5,635 Posts
    To respond specifically to point 15, paul simon, no it really doesn't make it harder for them to get them. I know an ex-gangster who can get a 9mm for $80, the cheapest legal pistol in this country is somewhere around $200, and requires 2 licenses, registration, and government permission to leave your house with it. A gangster buys a cheap-ass gun for $80, and carries it around wherever, not giving a fuck about the laws, and using it for crime. Especially here in Canada, due to the US and its huge gun market, there will always be cheap, illegal guns here, and taking the ability of civilians to defend themselves from those criminals only puts public safety at risk, which the Liberals did in 1995.
    It's been shown that the average person will not shoot to kill but will subconsciously aim to miss, even if their life is in danger, hence the reason for army training.
    ergo the vast majority of people, even with a gun, will be just as at risk as people without - more so if they frighted someone willing to use a gun into using one.

31. Post #311
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    1,167 Posts
    8. THE UNITED STATES CONSTITUTION
    Could be late, but as Seth Meyers said on SNL:

When you talk about guns you always hear a lot about the Second Amendment and the Founding Fathers, and what they would say if they were here. Well, I for one think that if the Founding Fathers were here today, they would be super freaked out by cars. You can talk to them all you want about the Second Amendment, and they would just yell, ‘What are all these metal beasts doing rolling down the thoroughfare?’ And you’d tell them, ‘Those are cars’. And then you’d try to talk to them about militias and they would scream, ‘How can you speak of militias when steel dragons fly through the sky?’ And you’d say, ‘Those are airplanes.’ But even if they could wrap their heads around that they would eventually ask, ‘Why are all the slaves out?’ And they would think that. You can groan all you want, but they would think that.

And yes, the Founding Fathers wanted you to have the right to bear arms, but the guys who wrote that would pee through all eight layers of their pants if they saw what guns are now. In 1787 shooting a bullet was slightly faster than throwing one. If you wanted to be bulletproof in 1787 you put on a heavy coat. So with that in mind, I’m all about Americans having guns as long as they’re the muskets from 1787 that take forever to load.
    It's a little bit hyperbolic for entertainment purposes, but the point remains. As much as I'm in favour of human rights bills, the Constitution was made in a very different society, and should not necessarily be looked to in regards to the solution for modern-day problems.

Edited:

So you'll disregard any prospect for personal responsibility and put your life on the line in hopes that someone will come and save you? Wow, you will definitely get what's coming to you.
    This is patently absurd. Millions of people live their lives without ever needing a gun to protect themselves, using only public services like the police to protect them when they need it. And these people aren't murdered for it. Saying a person who doesn't own and know how to own a gun is not being 'personally responsible' is blatantly fucking ridiculous.

32. Post #312
    July 2011
    145 Posts
    This is patently absurd. Millions of people live their lives without ever needing a gun to protect themselves, using only public services like the police to protect them when they need it. And these people aren't murdered for it. Saying a person who doesn't own and know how to own a gun is not being 'personally responsible' is blatantly fucking ridiculous.
    Cut out the middleman. If you don't take proper responsibility for your own life then you deserve whatever consequences occur as a result.

33. Post #313
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    5,635 Posts
    Cut out the middleman. If you don't take proper responsibility for your own life then you deserve whatever consequences occur as a result.
    Why do you need a gun for "proper responsibility"?

34. Post #314
    July 2011
    145 Posts
    Why do you need a gun for "proper responsibility"?
    Wait until Captain Obvious comes to the recue.

35. Post #315
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    6,502 Posts
    this is a really vicious and sociopathic way to think

36. Post #316
    June 2010
    6,174 Posts
    This is a pretty interesting thread if you keep the national flags in mind and the USA's gun cult that has left a huge mark in the nation's development from its foundation to this very day.

So, thanks for this thread.

37. Post #317
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    1,077 Posts
    If you guys think the police will always be there for you, then its very obvious to me that not a whole lot of you have been involved with the law. I've had dispatchers hang up on me, hell I've had a highway patrolmen tell me that he couldn't do anything to help me when I had my car got ran off the road by a van. With budget cuts left and right some areas are seeing their police force cut in half.

Marik, what exactly is your post supposed to mean? "gun cult", please.

38. Post #318
    RAPISTS ARE OPPRESSED
    April 2011
    12,403 Posts
    If you guys think the police will always be there for you, then its very obvious to me that not a whole lot of you have been involved with the law. I've had dispatchers hang up on me, hell I've had a highway patrolmen tell me that he couldn't do anything to help me when I had my car got ran off the road by a van. With budget cuts left and right some areas are seeing their police force cut in half.

Marik, what exactly is your post supposed to mean? "gun cult", please.
    It is very interesting to see country's with lacks gun control against country's with strict gun control in this thread, as you can see where everyone is from. It is also interesting to see that people that live in country's with strict gun control aren't particularly fond of guns and Vice Versa. It seems that people that don't come in contact with guns don't see a need to have them, and people that do come in contact with them do.

39. Post #319
    July 2011
    145 Posts
    this is a really vicious and sociopathic way to think
    Explain your troubled reasoning.

40. Post #320
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    8,027 Posts
    Guns are like nukes, if someone has one, everyone needs one.