1. Post #1
    diaoyudao shi ZHONGGUO de
    December 2007
    4,027 Posts

Vein's my latest project in Garry's Mod. Think of it as a combination of Project Zomboid and Epidemic.

Everything here is tentative and subject to change.

- Zombie apoc roleplay with quite a few twists. I like to think of it as a roleplay gamemode that you don't have to roleplay on.
    - The main concept is that you can use it singleplayer and have just as much fun as if it had 42/42.
    - Minimalist HUD: There is no immediate info on your screen except for player names.
    - Clean, efficient GUI - no more browsing through five windows just to make a character

- SQLLite character saving - zero lag, zero mysql config issues, zero random connection loss, etc. MySQL functionality in the future for those that want to use it.
    - Descriptions are no longer 100 characters, but 500 characters long (can be configured for up to 196000 characters thanks to GM13). They are brought up in a separate window with F2 to mitigate a huge line of text across your screen. Press F2 on other players to bring up their profile.
    - Character emote system: You can change your character's expression and perform gestures with a GUI menu.
    - Characters gesture when they speak - for example, hand waving, or nodding in a direction.
    - Custom playermodels, made by myself. They use skins - there are 1200-1500 character combinations in 100mb of human models. ~50 heads, 24-30 outfits.

- Slow zombies - no fast zombie bullshit, no special/boss zombies, just the reanimated dead. These are Romero zombies. They break down doors over timespans of a week. They can be set on fire and keep shambling towards you.
    - Fully-featured zombie AI.
    - AI director: Spawns hordes if underneath a cap (for example, 30 zombies on the map at one time), as well as if someone yells/shoots a gun/etc., using the gm_navigation module.

- There will be five guns (pistol, revolver, shotgun, hunting rifle, military rifle), and around 10-20 melee weapons.
    - Weapon system is barebones: no need for clutter. No ironsights, no superhuge smoke particles, no ricochet, etc. Simple, clean and lagless, most importantly.
    - Using a weapon makes you unable to move, similar to how Project Zomboid does it. This makes melee fighting a last resort - missing could be fatal.

- Death is final. Once a character dies and you go back to the character selection, you can still play that character, you'll just be laying on the ground, or shambling around thanks to zombie AI. No appeals, just like a realistic zombie apocalypse. Don't pick fights you can't win.
    - There are 3 characters allowed at one time by default; this can be changed by the server owner.

- There are motives, such as sleep, hunger, exertion, etc.
    - Motives are saved and decay with time spent ingame. They won't kill you, just make you slower and distort your view and increase your insanity level.
    - Health isn't represented from 1-100; instead, you'll see Shot, Bitten, Scratched etc. with motives.
    - Small damage system - bandages, splints, etc. all have function

- Insanity system: Think http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpRq3e9yohE
    - You don't want to go insane

- Items have a much larger influence than other roleplay gamemodes. For example, food to decrease hunger etc.
    - Crafting system that supports up to 4 items.
    - Each item you carry slows you down.
    - Items and melee weapons are easy to find. Firearms and firearm ammo are hard to find.
    - Easy to create new items for server owners.
    - Can trade items directly with other players, or place them in containers.
    - Items have no physical presence. They're not found on the ground as with other roleplay gamemodes, but rather inside props. The reason for this is to decrease lag, missing items, and item duplication.

- Map editor for use by admins.
    - Used to place props, item containers, zombie hotspots, zombie avoidance areas etc.
    - Map contents are saved. Thanks to Gmod 13, you can have up to 32,000 props in one map, with no RSO errors!
    - Item containers contain relevant items, as specified in the map editor: for example, a bedroom dresser won't contain a carton of milk.
    - Scripted events (dewip). Think a helicopter passes overhead with supplies, or the Army rolls by for a cleanup op.

- Multiple official maps provided, tailored for different playerbase sizes and different playstyles:
    - rp_v_sacrifice: Port of L4D's The Sacrifice. Good for small servers and testing.
    - rp_v_terminal: Port of the Airport level from L4D's Dead Air. Good for small servers. WIP.
    - rp_v_riverside: Port of the town from L4D's No Mercy. Good for medium-large servers. WIP.
    - rp_v_rooftops: Port of two of L4D's Dead Air campaign maps. Good for large servers. WIP.
    - More to come! If you request a non-official map get support, I'll probably add gamemode support for it. Post in the thread!

- Fully featured administrative commands.
    - As streamlined as possible to get undesireables out.

- Music system. Plays music at opportune times. Death means sad music, life means.. sad music, zombies around means action music.

- NPCs (wip) - something like bots. Each has their own personality and may either shoot you on sight (after a warning!), tag along, or give you items. More players on reduce the amount of NPCs on.

- If you are bitten (or got a bad scratch) you are infected.
    - Works in the same vein as motives; you die after a certain amount of time ingame.
    - All dead players become zombies - like I said, this is slow zombie, Romero lore, so all players will become a zombie assuming their head's intact.

It's on an SVN if you want to try it: http://vein.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/
    As I have said, everything is tentative and subject to change, so it's likely that you will have to redownload models and whatnot at some point in time.

Required for players:
    - CS:S content
    Required for servers:
    - CS:S content
    - Properly installed svn content. Read the readme.
    To install this:
    - Checkout the svn to a folder named "Vein" in your gamemodes folder.
    - Read the readme. It's updated often.

You get your name in the credits ingame across all servers and on this thread. Cheers!

Donators:
    - Cireric / $20
    - Boilrig / $17
    - Raught19 / $8
    - BillyMays / $5
    - George Butler / $1

Suggestions, comments, complaints, criticism... all welcome!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Lua King x 74Winner x 15Dumb x 6Late x 2Artistic x 1Funny x 1Lua Helper x 1Informative x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    October 2009
    5,619 Posts
    I FREAKING KNEW IT HAD SOMETING TO DO WITH PROJECT ZOMBOID!

Looking EPIC keep it up!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Venezuela Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6Agree Agree x 4Friendly Friendly x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Casual Bananas
    February 2011
    1,709 Posts
    Seems nice, some points of improvement would be that the T-Posed characters look kind of silly in T-Pose, and the huge buttons are ugly when they are that large.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Netherlands Show Events Disagree Disagree x 5Lua Helper Lua Helper x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    TO SOME- THING
    September 2009
    3,979 Posts
    Diss, this is excellent. Hopefully it will lessen the amount of OpenAura servers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Informative Informative x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    I hide under your bed
    Dennab
    July 2011
    1,877 Posts
    I've always disliked motives because they clutter gameplay, you should try your hardest to minimalize the amount that exist. For example, you could probably combine exertion with sleep. The more running and melee you do, the faster your exertion bar would fill, and you'd have to sleep to clear it.

That's just my take though.

Edited:

e: Also i love your zombies, do they have running animations in their models too? I was thinking of maybe taking my ReDead and completely changing its pace but i have absolutely no experience with rigging, animations, etc.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1Lua King Lua King x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    December 2007
    4,027 Posts
    They do but they're NMRIH zombies (http://www.nomoreroominhell.com/)

Edited:

Exertion is when you run too much, you start to slow down to a minimum of walking.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    5,681 Posts
    I've always disliked motives because they clutter gameplay, you should try your hardest to minimalize the amount that exist. For example, you could probably combine exertion with sleep. The more running and melee you do, the faster your exertion bar would fill, and you'd have to sleep to clear it.

That's just my take though.
    Clutter? It's not really meant to be strictly fast-paced as far as I know. It's meant to be self-paced. You have to control the pace, and if you can't, well, that's you failing to control the playing field as a player. Multitasking isn't an option when it comes to playing hard and getting it right, it's a necessity.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

8. Post #8
    Half-Life: Aftermath
    August 2010
    492 Posts
    Thank god I have Beta, because this needs played right now.

Or when I get home, unfortunately :(

But really, this is incredible work. Can't wait to see what else you can do with it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    4,242 Posts
    Oh my, this is amazing.
    Nice work on this Diss.
    Also, may I suggest some sort of possiblity for clothing?
    For example, a combat armor.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

10. Post #10
    Dennab
    May 2010
    1,020 Posts
    This looks fucking amazing. One thing I would do though is add more guns to add more variety to the roleplay. I know they're not needed or anything, but it's nice not to see everybody walking around with the same two guns.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 2 (list)

11. Post #11
    TO SOME- THING
    September 2009
    3,979 Posts
    This looks fucking amazing. One thing I would do though is add more guns to add more variety to the roleplay. I know they're not needed or anything, but it's nice not to see everybody walking around with the same two guns.
    You could do that yourself?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 2Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

12. Post #12
    December 2007
    4,027 Posts
    There's a buttload of melee weapons, which (to me) is much more exciting and challenging. Also, if I added more guns, there'd be a buttload of unrealistic guns and no ammo.

The guns in question are the shotgun and the revolver.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

13. Post #13
    Dennab
    May 2010
    1,020 Posts
    You could do that yourself?
    Yes, but it's a pain in the ass to add all these weapons when someone else could do it a lot faster. Let's face it, most people are going to want more guns.

Edited:

There's a buttload of melee weapons, which (to me) is much more exciting and challenging. Also, if I added more guns, there'd be a buttload of unrealistic guns and no ammo.

The guns in question are the shotgun and the revolver.
    I don't see how some guns are "unrealistic". In an apocalypse, they would be hard to find, but they wouldn't be impossible. I agree that melee weapons are more of a challenge. But most people don't want to be constantly beating the shit out of zombies with an ax and that's just the hard truth.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Agree Agree x 2 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Banana
    May 2010
    6,431 Posts
    Everything looks pretty damn awesome...except for:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    4,242 Posts
    Everything looks pretty damn awesome...except for:

Easy to remove.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7Lua King Lua King x 4Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    October 2009
    1,507 Posts
    This looks amazing. I love both PZ and Epidemic.

I'd definitely be willing to help you out with this project in the mapping department if you need it.

PM me if you want to see some work or something.

Amazing job!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

17. Post #17
    February 2009
    1,349 Posts
    It's been said before, but I'll say it again: amazing job on this, Disseminate. Sadly I don't have access to the GMod Beta, so I can't test it myself, but from the media it looks amazing.
    Good job on making a descriptive OP, too. Your character creation clothing idea is an idea I had myself a long time ago, but I figured that it'd be inefficent since the player would need to download a buttload of skins.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

18. Post #18
    Pycские Идиот
    June 2010
    2,450 Posts
    damn nigga i see you releasin shit

As for adding guns do it yourself. It's modular for a reason.

Edited:

svn doesn't work 405 method not allowed?

could be me
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

19. Post #19
    December 2007
    4,027 Posts

Edited:

could be me
    fixed

20. Post #20
    Dennab
    May 2010
    1,020 Posts

Edited:

could be me
    That's a very bad excuse. Just because something is modular, it doesn't mean there can't be more weapons. Like I said, most everybody is going to get tired of seeing people running around with the two same guns. Not that I won't add any guns if I end up using this, it's just developers need to think about what the majority of people want for their communities. When I think of modular, I think of a feature that would be very custom, not a few new weapons. Anyway, I'm not trying to bitch. The issue I bring up really isn't that important. As for the SVN, it doesn't seem to work for me either. I think it might be because this is a GMod 13 gamemode from the way Disseminate makes it sound.

Edited:

It's not working for me. Are you sure you fixed it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    July 2008
    252 Posts
    Holy shit.

Looking good, I've been working on a very similar project as well though.

Can't wait to see more!

22. Post #22
    December 2007
    4,027 Posts
    Are you on gmod 13

23. Post #23
    Dennab
    May 2010
    1,020 Posts
    Are you on gmod 13
    Ah. That explains it. Nah, I don't have GMod 13. I kind of figured this required it, though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Agree Agree x 1Lua King Lua King x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,992 Posts
    if its anything like zomboscript, gmod will never be the same.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

25. Post #25
    February 2009
    1,349 Posts
    if its anything like zomboscript, gmod will never be the same.
    You can do anything at ZomboScript. The infinite is possible. The unattainable is unknown.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    3,046 Posts
    Of-course Gmod 13 beta had to break today, just when I wanted to test it out.

Looks damn awesome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

27. Post #27
    boy i sure do love it when my title doesnt fit
    December 2009
    6,003 Posts
    I feel like remaking the map from the Zomboid pre-release.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Pycские Идиот
    June 2010
    2,450 Posts
    That's a very bad excuse. Just because something is modular, it doesn't mean there can't be more weapons. Like I said, most everybody is going to get tired of seeing people running around with the two same guns. Not that I won't add any guns if I end up using this, it's just developers need to think about what the majority of people want for their communities. When I think of modular, I think of a feature that would be very custom, not a few new weapons. Anyway, I'm not trying to bitch. The issue I bring up really isn't that important. As for the SVN, it doesn't seem to work for me either. I think it might be because this is a GMod 13 gamemode from the way Disseminate makes it sound.

Edited:

what.

If you're running a community, it's modular for the community owner to add his own weapons that fit his server. And yeah, modular, a feature that is very custom. What do you think items/weapons are? Features that are custom. he doesn't need to add more weapons, that's up to the server owners, that way he can do more gamemode productive things. just saying.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    boy i sure do love it when my title doesnt fit
    December 2009
    6,003 Posts
    what.

If you're running a community, it's modular for the community owner to add his own weapons that fit his server. And yeah, modular, a feature that is very custom. What do you think items/weapons are? Features that are custom. he doesn't need to add more weapons, that's up to the server owners, that way he can do more gamemode productive things. just saying.
    This, If you think just because your community would use "UBER MODERN GUNS" and that means he HAS TO ADD THEM, you are incredibly wrong.

He is making this gamemode for the entire community, not your community.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    December 2007
    4,027 Posts
    I just wish gmod 13 wasn't broken so I could do some AI director stuff. I have the basic code done, I just can't test it.

31. Post #31
    Dennab
    May 2010
    1,020 Posts
    This, If you think just because your community would use "UBER MODERN GUNS" and that means he HAS TO ADD THEM, you are incredibly wrong.

He is making this gamemode for the entire community, not your community.
    So, what you're saying is you would only want two guns on YOUR server if you ran this. I already said why there should be more guns and why it would benefit everyone and not JUST my community.

Edited:

what.

I agree with this to a point. I don't want him to add a whole bunch of guns if he can do more productive things with the gamemode. When I said I think there should be more guns, I meant it as like a finalization thing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    December 2007
    4,027 Posts
    I'm not adding more guns
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 3Agree Agree x 2Zing Zing x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Dennab
    May 2010
    1,020 Posts
    I'm not adding more guns
    Meh. I just thought maybe you would like to finalize the project based on what most people will want. It's not a big deal, it's just most people are going to add more weapons now. Unless they don't know how to code weapons in lol.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Pycские Идиот
    June 2010
    2,450 Posts
    Meh. I just thought maybe you would like to finalize the project based on what most people will want. It's not a big deal, it's just most people are going to add more weapons now. Unless they don't know how to code weapons in lol.
    Good thing you're not most people. And yes, they are suppose to add more weapons to fit there server. And if they don't know how they shouldn't be running a server.

35. Post #35
    Dennab
    May 2010
    1,020 Posts
    Good thing you're not most people. And yes, they are suppose to add more weapons to fit there server. And if they don't know how they shouldn't be running a server.
    *sigh* But I am most people in this case. And just because someone doesn't know how to code weapons into a gamemode, it doesn't mean they shouldn't have a server. I've seen plenty of people who suck at coding but could manage a server well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    August 2010
    1,179 Posts
    In the first few seconds of reading the OP, I was like "Awesome a new Zombie Gamemode with alot of effort put into it", when I got to the 5th line, "aww it's roleplay, this sucks". I was quite disappointed.
    Any chance of making a version that doesn't have all the character creation crap? Other than the ridiculous RP crap, this looks really good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Funny Funny x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    August 2010
    492 Posts
    In the first few seconds of reading the OP, I was like "Awesome a new Zombie Gamemode with alot of effort put into it", when I got to the 5th line, "aww it's roleplay, this sucks". I was quite disappointed.
    Any chance of making a version that doesn't have all the character creation crap? Other than the ridiculous RP crap, this looks really good.

Hey guys, this is Facepunch, let's continue hating any form of roleplay for brownie points!

Down with this gamemode! It has character creation! Heinous role-playing scum!

-

I fail to see how creating a character is going to disrupt your gaming experience at all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    797 Posts
    Nevermind, read it.

39. Post #39
    August 2010
    1,179 Posts
    Hey guys, this is Facepunch, let's continue hating any form of roleplay for brownie points!

Down with this gamemode! It has character creation! Heinous role-playing scum!

-

I fail to see how creating a character is going to disrupt your gaming experience at all.
    I fail to see how this is hating on RP, I am just hating on character creation. Its a pointless concept IMO.
    There is nothing wrong with RP itself, sorry for implying that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    August 2010
    492 Posts
    I fail to see how this is hating on RP, I am just hating on character creation. Its a pointless concept IMO.
    There is nothing wrong with RP itself, sorry for implying that.

""aww it's roleplay, this sucks"." Would imply that.

What's wrong with making someone to play as? Would you prefer everyone was the same cloned model that you couldn't tell from anyone else?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events