1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    12,153 Posts

[release][h2]Official Trailer[/h2][/release]

[release][h2]Premise[/h2]

The Hobbit follows the journey of title character Bilbo Baggins, who is swept into an epic quest to reclaim the lost Dwarf Kingdom of Erebor from the fearsome dragon Smaug. Approached out of the blue by the wizard Gandalf the Grey, Bilbo finds himself joining a company of thirteen dwarves led by the legendary warrior Thorin Oakenshield. Their journey will take them into the Wild; through treacherous lands swarming with Goblins and Orcs, deadly Wargs and Giant Spiders, Shapeshifters and Sorcerers.

Although their goal lies to the East and the wastelands of the Lonely Mountain first they must escape the goblin tunnels, where Bilbo meets the creature that will change his life forever…Gollum.

Here, alone with Gollum, on the shores of an underground lake, the unassuming Bilbo Baggins not only discovers depths of guile and courage that surprise even him, he also gains possession of Gollum’s “precious” ring that holds unexpected and useful qualities … A simple, gold ring that is tied to the fate of all Middle-earth in ways Bilbo cannot begin to know.[/release]

[release][h2]Trivia[/h2]
    [*]This is not the first of Peter Jackson's pet projects where he has asked Guillermo del Toro to direct; del Toro was also offered to helm the now troubled Halo movie, but he turned it down to direct his own pet project Hellboy II: The Golden Army. Del Toro did accept the chance to direct this film, but after years stuck in pre-production limbo, he left to pursue other projects.

[*]Daniel Radcliffe, David Tennant, Shia LaBeouf, James McAvoy and Erryn Arkin were all rumored to play Bilbo Baggins before Martin Freeman was cast.

[*]Orlando Bloom expressed his interest in returning to the role of Legolas, even though the character does not appear in the book 'The Hobbit'.

[*]Ron Perlman was up for a role when Guillermo del Toro was the director, but after del Toro left, so did Perlman.

[*]Gollum only appears in one scene in the book. Andy Serkis completed that scene during the first week of production, but stayed on as Second Unit Director.

[*]This movie went through several stages of pre-production hell, the first being Guillermo del Toro stepping down as the Director as a result of MGM freezing the project while it emerged out of bankruptcy, it was almost cast out of New Zealand when several unions and guilds blacklisted the project and shooting was delayed again while Peter Jackson recovered from surgery from a perforated ulcer.

[*]The film will be shot on thirty Red Epic cameras. The Epic is the new model of Red that is expected to have widespread availability around April 2011.

[/release]

[release][h2]Directed by Peter Jackson[/h2]
    [/release]

[release][h2]Music by Howard Shore[/h2]

[/release]

[release][h2]Budget[/h2]

Total of $500 Million - May be the most expensive production ever[/release]

[release][h2]Release Dates[/h2]

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - 14 December 2012

The Desolation of Smaug - 13 December 2013

There and Back Again - 18 July 2014[/release]

[release][h2]Cast[/h2]

[/release]

[release][h2]Pictures[/h2]

[/release]

[release][h2]Titbits[/h2]

[/release]

[release][h2]Video Blog[/h2]

In order:

[/release]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Singapore Show Events Winner Winner x 63Dumb Dumb x 1Informative Informative x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Stay Rusty
    April 2005
    12,144 Posts
    Much better thread, good work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)

3. Post #3
    June 2010
    4,370 Posts
    Beautiful thread. This will be the movie of the 2012. I'm so fucking gay for the Hobbit. omgomgomgomg
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 16Funny Funny x 3 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    6,989 Posts
    Fuck yeah, a good Hobbit thread!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

5. Post #5
    This is -- excuse me -- a DAMN fine cup of coffee.
    August 2008
    8,795 Posts
    I think I may be looking forward to this film more than any other, I just have a huge soft spot for all things Tolkien.

Jesus, I hope P.J. does The Silmarillion after The Hobbit... though it'd be a considerably larger endeavor than any other project that he's undertaken since it's such a massive book in terms of content.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    12,153 Posts
    I took some screengrabs

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Singapore Show Events Winner Winner x 8Friendly Friendly x 4Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    3,297 Posts
    I noticed in the official trailer and the pictures above that this movie has AMAZING scenery. The details are amazing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    8,037 Posts
    I noticed in the official trailer and the pictures above that this movie has AMAZING scenery. The details are amazing.
    That's New Zealand for you, apparently. Peter Jackson could not have chosen a better location to shoot Middle Earth.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    3,297 Posts
    Wait, that's not CGI? :facepalm:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    8,037 Posts
    Wait, that's not CGI? :facepalm:
    If you get a chance (by which I mean about 18 hours of free time), you should watch all the "Making Of" footage for the Lord of the Rings trilogy. New Zealand has awe-inspiring geography.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

11. Post #11
    November 2009
    2,821 Posts
    I can't stop laughing at Arthur Dent playing Bilbo Baggins.

Also I can't fucking wait.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    24,282 Posts

What the flying fuck is this place?

Also holy shit Gollum
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Finland Show Events

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    4,882 Posts
    Oh how I've missed you Gollum.

Also, does anyone know who will be voicing Smaug?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    12,153 Posts

Benedict Cumberbatch

Motion capture as well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Singapore Show Events Winner Winner x 5 (list)

15. Post #15
    RG4
    November 2010
    2,891 Posts

I really cannot say anything other than this picture made me laugh
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 26Funny Funny x 5 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    21,289 Posts
    [*]Orlando Bloom expressed his interest in returning to the role of Legolas, even though the character does not appear in the book 'The Hobbit'
    Neither does Galadriel, nor Saruman for that matter.

Proving that this movie will include more of Gandalf's travels. Which is amazing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    8,037 Posts
    Neither does Galadriel, nor Saruman for that matter.

Proving that this movie will include more of Gandalf's travels. Which is amazing.
    It will be interesting to see how they divide the story up between two films.

Man, amazing to think that Peter Jackson's Tolkien saga will be 17+ hours when this is all said and done.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    21,289 Posts
    It will be interesting to see how they divide the story up between two films.

Man, amazing to think that Peter Jackson's Tolkien saga will be 17+ hours when this is all said and done.
    Imagine if he then later made a movie about The Silmarillion.

The CGI in that movie would be amazing.

Just imagine this in a movie

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Winner Winner x 5 (list)

19. Post #19
    Silly men accomplish magnificant tasks, the current ammount of womens rear exits that have surrounded my penis makes me confident I will accomplish, shit.
    July 2008
    3,458 Posts
    I just came

Edited:

2012 is the year of movies
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    2,839 Posts
    What a frigging amazing trailer, can't wait for 2012. The music atmosphere everything was epic and especially the ending with gollum and re-use of forever epic music that is in lotr. So mystical and adventurous. Precioussss
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    24,282 Posts
    Could this mean the spooky place in those three shots could have something to do with Mr. Necromancer?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Finland Show Events

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    12,153 Posts
    We'll get to see Gandalf and the White Council battle against him
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Singapore Show Events Winner Winner x 7 (list)

23. Post #23
    Silly men accomplish magnificant tasks, the current ammount of womens rear exits that have surrounded my penis makes me confident I will accomplish, shit.
    July 2008
    3,458 Posts
    So is Part 1 about the book and Part 2 about connecting The Hobbit and LOTR?
    Or Part 1 and Part 2 are book but Part 2 still connects it to LOTR?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

24. Post #24
    Propane Nightmares
    May 2007
    8,778 Posts
    Gonna be SO good
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    8,304 Posts
    So is Part 1 about the book and Part 2 about connecting The Hobbit and LOTR?
    Or Part 1 and Part 2 are book but Part 2 still connects it to LOTR?
    Part 1 is the Hobbit, Part 2 is also the Hobbit.

Just the book split in half with some extra stuff added.

Oh, and Rong, you should add these set reports to the OP:
    http://www.aintitcool.com/node/51787
    http://www.aintitcool.com/node/51851
    http://www.aintitcool.com/node/51948
    http://www.aintitcool.com/node/52078
    http://www.aintitcool.com/node/52094
    http://www.aintitcool.com/node/52353
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Norway Show Events Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    5,536 Posts
    Typically, I might've bickered that this was a prequel and that it could possibly suck; but God damn it. This is The Lord of the Rings, with Peter Jackson and co. back in the saddle, this will be as flawless as the other three movies.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    8,304 Posts
    Oh, and Rong, the picture of the WETA workshop guy and the three dwarves is not from the Hobbit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Norway Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    June 2011
    2,948 Posts
    I hope the official soundtrack includes the song they sing.

And Howard Shore was the right choice to compose the complete soundtrack. And I hope they extend it, when they bring it on DVD and blu ray.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

29. Post #29
    November 2009
    2,821 Posts
    I hope the official soundtrack includes the song they sing.

And Howard Shore was the right choice to compose the complete soundtrack. And I hope they extend it, when they bring it on DVD and blu ray.
    It will be amazingly long. Pure gold mind you, but still.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

30. Post #30
    Deductive Genius
    November 2009
    3,940 Posts
    Trailer made me reminiscent of the trilogy, so I just ordered the Extended Lord of The Rings Blu-Ray edition on Amazon. Which, by the way, is on sale for $50.

Though I feel like a bit of a poser. I never read the books (tried to back in middle school when it was too difficult for me to comprehend), but at the same time, I love reading about the world on forums and Wikipedia.

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    2,048 Posts
    Trailer made me reminiscent of the trilogy, so I just ordered the Extended Lord of The Rings Blu-Ray edition on Amazon. Which, by the way, is on sale for $50.

Though I feel like a bit of a poser. I never read the books (tried to back in middle school when it was too difficult for me to comprehend), but at the same time, I love reading about the world on forums and Wikipedia.
    I just did the same. Can't wait for it to get here, I've never seen the extended editions.
    Also this is going to be the movie of 2012. I can feel it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    8,037 Posts
    I just did the same. Can't wait for it to get here, I've never seen the extended editions.
    Also this is going to be the movie of 2012. I can feel it.
    If you've never seen the extended editions, you're in for a major treat. All three films benefit immensely from the extra scenes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    2,048 Posts
    If you've never seen the extended editions, you're in for a major treat. All three films benefit immensely from the extra scenes.
    Me and my friend who hasn't seen the extended editions either are going to have a marathon with another friend who hasn't even seen the theatrical versions when it gets here. It's going to be awesome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    8,037 Posts
    Me and my friend who hasn't seen the extended editions either are going to have a marathon with another friend who hasn't even seen the theatrical versions when it gets here. It's going to be awesome.
    It's ~11 hours of pristine filmmaking. Better stockpile food, drink and jars to piss in if the situation gets dire.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    Deductive Genius
    November 2009
    3,940 Posts
    How much longer is each movie in the extended cut. Never seen them either.

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    8,037 Posts
    How much longer is each movie in the extended cut. Never seen them either.
    Fellowship of the Ring
    Theatrical Cut: 2 hours 58 minutes
    Extended Cut: 3 hours 26 minutes

28 minutes of extra footage

The Two Towers
    Theatrical Cut: 2 hours 59 minutes
    Extended Cut: 3 hours 43 minutes

44 minutes of extra footage

Return of the King
    Theatrical Cut: 3 hours 21 minutes
    Extended Cut: 4 hours 11 minutes

50 minutes of extra footage

All in all, it makes the trilogy 682 minutes long, which is 11 hours and 22 minutes (including credits).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    July 2011
    1,889 Posts
    I don't think words can describe how excited I am for this movie. I can't bloody wait!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    November 2009
    6,903 Posts
    Fellowship of the Ring
    Theatrical Cut: 2 hours 58 minutes
    Extended Cut: 3 hours 26 minutes

28 minutes of extra footage

The Two Towers
    Theatrical Cut: 2 hours 59 minutes
    Extended Cut: 3 hours 43 minutes

44 minutes of extra footage

Return of the King
    Theatrical Cut: 3 hours 21 minutes
    Extended Cut: 4 hours 11 minutes

50 minutes of extra footage

All in all, it makes the trilogy 682 minutes long, which is 11 hours and 22 minutes (including credits).
    apparently the extended blu-rays are even longer, can anyone confirm this?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

39. Post #39
    April 2009
    2,073 Posts
    I still get shivers from the trailer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    4,602 Posts
    I jizzed when they started singing that dwarf song.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Bulgaria Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)