1. Post #361
    October 2010
    434 Posts
    The staff at the one ring net give their thoughts on the footage at comic con, obvious spoilers, but it is safe to say that they loved what they saw:

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012...bbit-showreel/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

2. Post #362
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    21,524 Posts
    He can't get the rights to any of the other Tolkien works as the estate hates the movies.
    Which is god damn bullshit because if anyone could make a Silmarillion movie, it's Peter.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

3. Post #363
    Annotated Reader Lapsed Pacifist
    December 2008
    12,085 Posts
    The Tolkien estate shouldn't be so down on the movies. Seriously, if they directly adapted the LOTR books, the movies wouldn't be very good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #364
    Mombasa's Hubby :3
    October 2008
    3,886 Posts
    Sure it would!

I mean, who wouldn't love to stop right before a battle to spend 20 minutes explaining the significance of the place they're battling at?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Funny Funny x 7Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #365
    June 2010
    4,373 Posts
    The Tolkien estate shouldn't be so down on the movies. Seriously, if they directly adapted the LOTR books, the movies wouldn't be very good.
    You'd think they'd understand how adapting books onto film works out in the end. It works out pretty damned good. Only a few would actually read the trilogy, even less of course if there weren't the movies to turn them onto it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

6. Post #366
    I'm a loner who likes to get beat up at school
    June 2009
    11,563 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

7. Post #367
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    8,707 Posts
    eh i dunno. might be too drawn out or the movies much shorter than the lotr movies. wonder what the release dates are now.

8. Post #368
    June 2010
    4,373 Posts
    hnnngggg YES!!!

Edited:

eh i dunno. might be too drawn out or the movies much shorter than the lotr movies. wonder what the release dates are now.
    Kinda annoying how everything is a trilogy it seems but damnit Middle Earth deserves it

Anyone have a clue what the third film would cover?

9. Post #369
    This is -- excuse me -- a DAMN fine cup of coffee.
    August 2008
    8,795 Posts
    Horrible news.

What the fuck, man.
    The book is not that long, 2 three hour long movies was more than enough.

Title will be: The Hobbit - An Overbloated Journey
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 11Late Late x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

10. Post #370
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    8,606 Posts
    Well they are adding a ton of stuff that was only vaguely and sometimes not even implied in the book.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #371
    April 2010
    2,500 Posts
    Horrible news.

What the fuck, man.

You do understand that the book is not the only source material for this adaptation, right?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

12. Post #372
    the fuck is this?
    November 2009
    7,251 Posts
    silmarillion pls
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

13. Post #373
    Everything I post is absolute bollocks until proven otherwise.
    July 2008
    11,231 Posts
    You could make a movie based around a single chapter of The Hobbit. Tolkien says a lot in a very little space of time. You get the whole shire and Baggins story in like 5 or 6 pages. 3 movies isn't a problem.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

14. Post #374
    June 2011
    2,998 Posts
    Horrible news.

What the fuck, man.

They can put things into the movie which are were only mentioned but happened in other Middle-Earth books.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events

15. Post #375
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    8,707 Posts
    silmarillion pls
    no rights to it

how many times must we say this

16. Post #376
    Dennab
    May 2012
    1,765 Posts
    A trilogy must better mean that the battle of Five Armies must be the entire last movie.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #377
    August 2008
    8,795 Posts
    I just have trouble seeing how they're gonna make three movies (which probably means nine hours of film, or thereabouts) from just one (not very long) book, even considering the added material of the Lord of the Rings appendix.

If they had the rights to the Silmarrilion, they could've added some material from there (for example flashbacks from Gandald, Elrond, Galadriel etc.). Galadriel has been on Middle-Earth for a shitlong time if I'm not mistaken (since before the First Age I think), and furthermore it would be hard to place those scenes in the context of the The Hobbit's narrative.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #378
    October 2008
    3,886 Posts
    He's Peter motherfucking Jackson. Just trust him. If it was anyone else, I'd be worried. He can pull this off.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 5Disagree Disagree x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

19. Post #379
    August 2008
    8,795 Posts
    He's not infallible.

He managed to make King Kong boring and overlong.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 9 (list)

20. Post #380
    Just a Homestuck OC with a massive dick
    April 2011
    2,576 Posts
    no pictures of Beorn yet?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events

21. Post #381
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    3,606 Posts
    no pictures of Beorn yet?
    Just his house.

I just have trouble seeing how they're gonna make three movies (which probably means nine hours of film, or thereabouts) from just one (not very long) book, even considering the added material of the Lord of the Rings appendix.

If they had the rights to the Silmarrilion, they could've added some material from there (for example flashbacks from Gandald, Elrond, Galadriel etc.). Galadriel has been on Middle-Earth for a shitlong time if I'm not mistaken (since before the First Age I think), and furthermore it would be hard to place those scenes in the context of the The Hobbit's narrative.
    more likely they'll show things that the book doesn't really go into depth about, for example, the Necromancer (Sauron) being in Mirkwood and gandalf going off to see the white council then some time around that they attacked Sauron so hopefully we'll see a bunch of wizards fighting a body of Sauron but I don't think any book makes it clear WHEN that happens, but it would be around the time of the Hobbit book so it wouldn't be pushing it and plus they have rights to the hobbit and this IS the hobbit and also that means they can SHOW where Gandalf runs off to in the film, rather than having him disappear for a few scenes
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

22. Post #382
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    8,707 Posts
    He's Peter motherfucking Jackson. Just trust him. If it was anyone else, I'd be worried. He can pull this off.
    he almost fucked up a bunch of times. not like "we wrote a stupid part" but like "we FILMED a stupid part." aragon's girlfriend there almost fought back to back with him at helm's deep. aragon fighting that troll in return of the king? he's actually fighting the dark lord sauron himself, they just CG'd a troll over him when they realized it was dumb and didn't fit with peter's eye thing he had going.

23. Post #383
    the fuck is this?
    November 2009
    7,251 Posts
    no rights to it

how many times must we say this
    fuck

Tom Bombadil spinoff then.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

24. Post #384
    October 2008
    3,886 Posts
    he almost fucked up a bunch of times. not like "we wrote a stupid part" but like "we FILMED a stupid part." aragon's girlfriend there almost fought back to back with him at helm's deep. aragon fighting that troll in return of the king? he's actually fighting the dark lord sauron himself, they just CG'd a troll over him when they realized it was dumb and didn't fit with peter's eye thing he had going.
    Yeah, I know about the end part and I know that at least they fixed it. I just, I trust that he'll give us a hell of a trilogy. We won't see Middle Earth in picture form again for a long, long time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

25. Post #385
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    2,872 Posts
    Hobbit part 3 will 'gap' the Hobbit to the LotR

26. Post #386
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    12,182 Posts
    Either named The Hobbit: Riddles In The Dark or The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Singapore Show Events

27. Post #387
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    2,872 Posts
    Either named The Hobbit: Riddles In The Dark or The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug
    Best call it The Hobbit: Back and There Again in a Expected Journey
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 10 (list)

28. Post #388
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    5,430 Posts
    I like Jackson and have good hopes for this. Not really sure about the trilogy but like books, you can make things last forever by just adding details.

29. Post #389
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    12,182 Posts
    The Battle Of The Five Armies has also been registered
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Singapore Show Events

30. Post #390
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    8,707 Posts
    didn't the second movie have a name? looks like they might be renaming it

31. Post #391
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    8,311 Posts
    Second part was (is?) named "There And Back Again", which is a perfect title in my opinion. I hope they don't change it. Move it over to the third film instead.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #392
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    2,872 Posts
    Due to the third film, the second title "There and Back Again" was indeed removed. Now both the 2nd part and 3rd part have TBA titles

33. Post #393
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    12,182 Posts
    If that is so, the third will be called There and Back Again. The three potential titles registered are most likely for the 2nd film.

Hmmm?

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Singapore Show Events Winner Winner x 8 (list)

34. Post #394
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    8,311 Posts
    Here's the slightly altered trailer that played in front of Brave. 3 new shots:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Norway Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

35. Post #395
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    3,606 Posts
    Apparently - I can't remember where I heard this - it's in three parts to show the battle of Dol Goldur?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #396
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    2,872 Posts
    Extended Bilbo shot, Bilbo hiding behind mushroom, and the dwarf squad and Gandalf running up a hill

These look..dwarfish
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1Artistic Artistic x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

37. Post #397
    Annotated Reader Lapsed Pacifist
    December 2008
    12,085 Posts
    Should they look Hobbit-ish? I mean, the Dwarves certainly outnumber Bilbo.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

38. Post #398
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    676 Posts
    They should just give you a ring that magically makes you see the film in 3D.

39. Post #399
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    4,136 Posts
    They should just give you a ring that magically makes you see the film in 3D.
    And then they should make one to rule them all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #400
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    17,111 Posts
    I really hope they will show some of the music making in one of the upcoming vlogs.

Edited:

I assume they will. It would make sense for them to leave that to the post-production part to sparkle a little bit of magic into it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events