1. Post #161
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    8,300 Posts
    You come off as a very angry person.

Your post just made it look like you were expecting a huge slice of the movie to be about what happens After "The Hobbit" and before "Fellowship of the Ring".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Norway Show Events

2. Post #162
    World of Vagax
    December 2008
    21,506 Posts
    I actually like that its more stand alone then connected to LotR
    Gives it a fresh feel
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #163
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    21,203 Posts
    Never said that either. I just said that they'd be bridging. Gandalf did as much shit as Aragorn.

Please stop posting.
    It's called "The Hobbit".

Not "That one part between LotR and The Hobbit"

And to be honest, the Gollum hunt isn't at all that exciting, and it isn't a necessary part in bridging the stories either.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

4. Post #164
    Movie quote goes here, because...
    Dennab
    October 2008
    8,076 Posts
    You come off as a very angry person.

Your post just made it look like you were expecting a huge slice of the movie to be about what happens After "The Hobbit" and before "Fellowship of the Ring".
    You come off as a person with reading difficulties.
    I don't mean to be rude. But how'd your tone be if someone kept Shooting down your arguments, referring to points you never made. It's maddening.

Edited:

It's called "The Hobbit".

Not "That one part between LotR and The Hobbit"

And to be honest, the Gollum hunt isn't at all that exciting, and it isn't a necessary part in bridging the stories either.
    There's a shitton of Lore in those "between years" If they do the white council, they might as well include the search for gollum and his escape from mordor. And include Thorins father at the Necromancers fortress and that.

Just makes for a deeper tale. And don't for a minute tell me that they'll spend 5-6 hours on a 300 page book when they just spent 9-10 on a 1200 pages book.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Denmark Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

5. Post #165
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    8,300 Posts
    I kept shooting down your arguments? If I did it was not in a rude way at all. I was just correcting you.

First you say "GTFO or source" then "please stop posting". If you're so immature that you can't be corrected by someone then I suggest you leave this thread.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

6. Post #166
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    8,479 Posts
    Except showing white council shows what Gandalf did while he left the dwarves / Bilbo and much of that other stuff comes after the Hobbit is done. Both movies will be the Hobbit and will be Bilbo telling Frodo what happened. Even when Del Toro was on board he said they abandoned the "bridge film" concept.

Also can anyone explain to me how Aragon was 87 in Fellowship of the Ring? Did Jackson ignore his age / does he age slower or what (and if Jackson ignored his age then how did he do all this stuff as an old guy in the books)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

7. Post #167
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    2,801 Posts
    Except showing white council shows what Gandalf did while he left the dwarves / Bilbo and much of that other stuff comes after the Hobbit is done. Both movies will be the Hobbit and will be Bilbo telling Frodo what happened. Even when Del Toro was on board he said they abandoned the "bridge film" concept.

Also can anyone explain to me how Aragon was 87 in Fellowship of the Ring? Did Jackson ignore his age / does he age slower or what (and if Jackson ignored his age then how did he do all this stuff as an old guy in the books)
    Wasn't he one of the Dunedain, the descendants of the Numenors? IIRC they were blessed with long life or something.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Philippines Show Events Agree Agree x 6Informative Informative x 1 (list)

8. Post #168
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    21,203 Posts
    L'Oreal does wonders, even in middle-earth.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 9 (list)

9. Post #169
    Annotated Reader Lapsed Pacifist
    December 2008
    11,717 Posts
    Wasn't he one of the Dunedain, the descendants of the Numenors? IIRC they were blessed with long life or something.
    He was one of the Dunedain. He even fought with Theodan in a battle long before The Two Towers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

10. Post #170
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    24,182 Posts
    L'Oreal does wonders, even in middle-earth.
    L'Orien, the legendary elf perfume.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 3Zing Zing x 3 (list)

11. Post #171
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    4,125 Posts
    He was one of the Dunedain. He even fought with Theodan in a battle long before The Two Towers.
    Wasn't it Theoden's grandfather he fought with?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #172
    Dennab
    October 2008
    8,076 Posts
    Yep. In the films they set his age at 8x. In the books he's nearing 12x before he takes the throne.

X not meaning "X times"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

13. Post #173
    December 2008
    11,717 Posts
    Not sure. It probably is, since I'm only reading the books now and I don't rightly remember that scene in the Extended Cut to be sure.

14. Post #174
    November 2010
    2,262 Posts
    Just watched all of the video blogs, mind=blown.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

15. Post #175
    January 2012
    308 Posts
    I wonder that should I read the Hobbit book before movie comes out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

16. Post #176
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    8,479 Posts
    I wonder that should I read the Hobbit book before movie comes out.
    Maybe, I've never read LotR but watching the special features from my bluray EE turns out Jackson made a ton of changes. I've read the Hobbit but I feel like Jackson would make less changes to the hobbit

17. Post #177
    November 2009
    6,822 Posts
    the films are still fantastic, it's really more of a personal choice (if you want to be familiar with the story and what not).

18. Post #178
    December 2008
    11,717 Posts
    I think you should read it after you see the movie. I mean, I'm only reading The Lord of the Rings trilogy now, and I can see why Peter Jackson made the cuts he did.

19. Post #179
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    4,125 Posts
    I think you should read the book before seeing the movie, that way you can look forward to seeing certain parts play out in more visual way, that's the way I've always done it. Watching the movie then reading the book usually (unless the book is very different) makes the book kinda boring.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

20. Post #180
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    21,203 Posts
    I think you should read it after you see the movie. I mean, I'm only reading The Lord of the Rings trilogy now, and I can see why Peter Jackson made the cuts he did.
    Then again, LotR and The Hobbit are two very different books in my opinion.

The hobbit focused more on the travel itself and how the journey progressed.

While LotR put very much detail on the environment and the surroundings.

I think reading The Hobbit before watching it would be totally OK. One thing for sure is that it'll increase your hype extremely.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

21. Post #181
    June 2011
    2,934 Posts
    Somewhere I've read that they were going to make Smaug the most badass and most spectacular dragon in movie history or something in this way.

Now I'm asking if anyone knows the source of this quote or if anyone has also read that somewhere. I'd like to know if it's true. I've read it long time ago. 1-2 years ago, I think.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

22. Post #182
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    8,300 Posts
    I think Guillermo Del Toro said they'd have to make him the dragon of all movie dragons, because they can't just end up with another "meh" dragon.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

23. Post #183
    Appreciates Subtle Titles
    April 2009
    6,789 Posts
    Yeah, Smaug was supposed to be all scary and imposing because of just being a dragon, but we've seen so many dragons in so many fantasy movies since the Hobbit was written that we've become kind of used to them. They'll need to make him hella spectacular just for the sake of the story itself.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

24. Post #184
    Dennab
    October 2008
    8,076 Posts
    Yeah, Smaug was supposed to be all scary and imposing because of just being a dragon, but we've seen so many dragons in so many fantasy movies since the Hobbit was written that we've become kind of used to them. They'll need to make him hella spectacular just for the sake of the story itself.
    How about something this size?

This was THE dragon of the first age in Middle-Earth. Now Smaug barely fit in a hall of comparable size to Dwarrowdelf (that big-ass room where the party runs like fuck from the orcs and balrog in Moria).

He'll be big as fuck and with the right design, imposing as fuck.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

25. Post #185
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    21,203 Posts
    How about something this size?

This was THE dragon of the first age in Middle-Earth. Now Smaug barely fit in a hall of comparable size to Dwarrowdelf (that big-ass room where the party runs like fuck from the orcs and balrog in Moria).

He'll be big as fuck and with the right design, imposing as fuck.
    A Silmarillion movie would be so fucking cool

Just imagine the dragon, and then this

Edited:

That spider is also Shelobs' momma
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Winner Winner x 2Agree Agree x 2 (list)

26. Post #186
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    5,688 Posts
    Don't mean to sound dumb but where do you guys know these back stories and stuff from?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

27. Post #187
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    21,203 Posts
    Don't mean to sound dumb but where do you guys know these back stories and stuff from?
    Might have misinterpreted your question but the huge dragons and spiders are from The Silmarillion
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

28. Post #188
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    6,436 Posts
    Man I read the Silmarillion in like 10th grade. How did I miss all of this?

29. Post #189
    June 2011
    2,934 Posts
    A Silmarillion movie would be so fucking cool

Just imagine the dragon, and then this

Edited:

That spider is also Shelobs' momma
    Is that Melkor/Morgoth standing there?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events

30. Post #190
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    21,203 Posts
    Is that Melkor/Morgoth standing there?
    Melkor

he sure is one big motherfucker.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

31. Post #191
    November 2009
    6,822 Posts
    There's more to Middle Earth than just Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit.

32. Post #192
    June 2011
    2,934 Posts
    Children of Hurin, Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales of Númenor and Middle-earth

33. Post #193
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    8,479 Posts
    Children of Hurin, Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales of Númenor and Middle-earth
    Of which Jackson has none of the rights to film :/

34. Post #194
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    21,203 Posts
    Anyone know if there's gonna be a set video soon?

Feels like forever since the last one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

35. Post #195
    June 2011
    2,934 Posts
    Of which Jackson has none of the rights to film :/
    There is still the possibility that he will get them.

36. Post #196
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    8,479 Posts
    There is still the possibility that he will get them.
    True, but it means he can't use any of that material in his current movies

37. Post #197
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    24,182 Posts
    Melkor

he sure is one big motherfucker.
    This raises the question of how fucking big that spider actually is.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Finland Show Events

38. Post #198
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    5,688 Posts
    So the non-hobbit / LOTR books, are they worth buying? Because I had no idea there were more stories by Tolkien! (Excuse my ignorance)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

39. Post #199
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    February 2007
    13,269 Posts
    Since he has the rights to the Hobbit, then that should at least mean he has all the rights to anything mentioning the other things in the book right? Should it be that the book doesn't mention them, then they clearly can't be too important to the plot of this movie either way.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Sweden Show Events

40. Post #200
    Dennab
    October 2008
    8,076 Posts
    Not gon stop Smaug from being big/imposing as fuck.

Edited:

Since he has the rights to the Hobbit, then that should at least mean he has all the rights to anything mentioning the other things in the book right? Should it be that the book doesn't mention them, then they clearly can't be too important to the plot of this movie either way.
    He also has the rights to the LoTR appendices and AFAIK he's using those to bridge movie two with Fellowship.

Edited:

Books.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Denmark Show Events