1. Post #1
    Watching the world burn is my hobby.
    February 2005
    16,993 Posts

Katawa Shoujo is a bishoujo-style visual novel set in the fictional Yamaku High School for disabled children, located somewhere in modern Japan. Hisao Nakai, a normal boy living a normal life, has his life turned upside down when a congenital heart defect forces him to move to a new school after a long hospitalization. Despite his difficulties, Hisao is able to find friends—and perhaps love, if he plays his cards right. There are five main paths corresponding to the 5 main female characters, each path following the storyline pertaining to that character.

So, who are the characters involved in this drama?

Hisao Nakai (The protagnoist)

Troubled over his months-long stay at the hospital after his heart almost gave out and trying to adjust to his new surroundings, he is trying hard to find his place in world. After being thrown into a new beginning, the chaotic circumstances have forced Hisao to rethink his apathetic disposition, especially regarding things like life, friendship and future.

Emi Ibarazaki

Despite being left with legs amputated below the knee, Emi is perhaps one of the most cheery, happy-go-lucky girls on the entire globe, let alone the school. Not one to be left in despair even after the accident that claimed her legs, Emi views her disability more as a blessing, her prosthetic legs having brought her to the heights of her ability on the track team rather than becoming a permanent obstacle.

Hanako Ikezawa

At a young age, Hanako had a traumatic experience that left her life in shambles. Her father died when their home burned down in an accident, which also disfigured Hanako herself permanently. She is reclusive to the extreme, shunning from all other people to the point of actually panicking from any social contact. Her only trusted friend is Lilly, who has taken Hanako under her wing ever since the two were introduced to each other.

If you've finished Hanako's arc, and only if that, before you think about being a stupid fucking asshole, click this: http://i.imgur.com/nj7zz.png

Lilly Satou

Blind since birth, Lilly is caring, responsible and friendly - the perfect foil to Hanako, her best friend, whom she shares an almost mother-daughter relationship with, in addition to her free time often being spent drinking tea alongside her companion. In class she is a diligent student, with her sense of confidence serving her well in her role as class representative of class 3-2.

Rin Tezuka

Since Rin’s arms are tiny stumps due to a severe birth defect and subsequent surgery, she uses her feet and occasionally her mouth to do everything, which includes painting. Because of her disability, using skirts is tough, so Rin is wearing a boy’s uniform at school. Her creativity is matched by her philosophical streak: Rin is fond of occasionally getting lost in thought and giving voice to abstract ideas about man, the universe, and other things that thoroughly confuse people.

Shizune Hakamichi

Strong willed and forceful, Shizune is definitely the leader type. She’s been the class rep, despite being deaf and mute, for as long as her class has had one, and generally takes charge in just about any situation she’s placed in. Shizune is known around the school as a fearsome taskmaster, and skilled manipulator, but also as a fair and just leader.

Shiina “Misha” Mikado

Misha is the interpreter for Shizune and a fellow member of the student council. Cheery, playful, and never one to pull a punch, she happily joins in Shizune's attempts to get Hisao onto the student council.

And then we have a few minor, recurring characters.

Kenji Seto

Borderline hikkikomori, Kenji likes to spend a lot of time in his room, planning for whatever the radical feminist movement's next move may be. He is leery of the instant attraction that Hisao seems to have brought upon himself, but nonetheless very pleased to finally have a hallmate.

Nurse

The chief of the nurse staff of Yamaku, and a surprisingly young person for someone in his position. He is a funny and jovial guy, always a good for a laugh and well liked by students. Nonetheless, he has a heart of pure gold and he is very passionate and serious about his job.

Akio Muto

Both homeroom and science teacher of 3-3, and just as much out of touch with his class as he is out of touch with reality. Probably born to be a teacher (no matter how much his students disagree), his greatest skill is the ability to ignore irrelevant things completely (no matter how much anyone who wishes he'd remember their names disagrees).

Yuuko Shirikawa

Yuuko has serious problems with managing her life, which makes her the perfect person to ask for help to manage one's own. She funds her university studies by working part time at a popular cafe. The lengths she goes to avoid being fired for her natural clumsiness bewilder other people, along with her neurotic attention to detail and frequent streaks of depression.

So, what is this actually about? I have you the summary with a few useful links in there, but sometime that isn't enough for people. Hisao Nakai, the main character that you will view the story from, has a heart attack one day and wakes up to find that he suffers from Arrythmia, a serious condition of the heart that causes abnormal electrical activity in the heart, usually to beat too fast or slow. After staying in the hospital for four months, leaving his hospital room unassisted less times then you have fingers on one hand, he is cleared to leave the hospital but is informed that he won't be going back to his usual school. Upon the recommendation of his doctor and parents, he is transferred to Yamaku High School, a school that has facilities meant to deal with kids that have unusual conditions. Hearing all this, he immediately sets himself up for disappointment and the worst, whatever that may be...

Some history of Katawa Shoujo is necessary, because it's amazing that the project is even this far into development. The game does come from 4chan, in a sense. Back in 2006, someone colored and translated a single page that was a concept design (assumingly) tossed aside by a doujin company who was publishing an unrelated manga. It was put in as a bonus along two other pages that have yet to be seen. In 2007, it was posted on 4chan's /a/ board. For some reason, /a/ went batshit for it. They started putting out ideas, drawing stuff, going all kinds of crazy for ONE page of concept art. Several people decided to take the helm of these ideas, against impossible odds of it actually succeeding, and, through events that can be read here, "established" Four Leaf Studios. While at this point they are truly a separate entity from where they once came, the name is a tribute. If you actually take the time to read that link, it's amazing the project even had a demo.

Previously I had my own opinion of the demo here, but since it's released now I'll drop in my opinion of the full release.

It's pretty fucking good. A lot of care and effort went into making this VN, probably more than most people put into professional releases. Of the three routes that I finished, every single one was enjoyable in some way and a few moments were true feel-jerkers. The package as a whole is awesome. The art is fairly consistant, the music is great and when you read it you'll realize it's 3am and ohGodwheredidthetimego? It's far beyond what people expect from VN's if you've been on the internet long enough (eg. gratuitous wank material). I fully recommend downloading and playing it because, if the first thread was any inidication, you'll enjoy it even if you're not into anime or VN's. A lot of people came into the first thread thinking "What is this anime shit?" and left saying "Oh my God, why am I crying?" Check these out...

Doomish

http://www.facepunch.com/threads/114...1#post34337154

http://www.facepunch.com/threads/114...1#post34337359

http://www.facepunch.com/threads/114...1#post34337512

[Green] and ewitwins

http://www.facepunch.com/threads/114...1#post34337677

http://www.facepunch.com/threads/114...1#post34337766

http://www.facepunch.com/threads/114...1#post34337793

MJS_Killer

http://www.facepunch.com/threads/114...1#post34198897

Banned?

http://www.facepunch.com/threads/114...1#post34187767

http://www.facepunch.com/threads/114...=#post34220440

FalconKrunch

http://www.facepunch.com/threads/114...1#post34175929

It's released. Click the image above for a link to the blog post with the downloads. Torrent and DDL are avaliable.

Camwi_003 is giving us an awesome DDL link! Click here: http://hacksbycamwi.com/files/%5B4ls...3798628%5D.exe

DaMoggen gave us an awesome DDL link for people in Europe! Click here: http://damoggen.com/Files/%5B4ls%5D_...3798628%5D.exe

The soundtrack is avaliable to download! Get it for free right off the blog. http://katawashoujo.blogspot.com/201...ck-up-for.html

Flowcharts for each girl + Act 1 by Feuver

Katawa shoujo full flowchart V2.7

Act 1 V2.7

Rin's arc V2.7

Shizune's arc V2.7

Hanako's arc V2.7

Lilly's arc V2.7

Emi's arc V2.7

Editor's Note: While it probably won't see much use now that the game is release, the developer blog is a great place to read up on the game from a historical perspective. It has a lot of talk about (sorta) what went on while designing and making KS. Read it here: http://katawashoujo.blogspot.com/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Funny x 67Dumb x 26Winner x 16Friendly x 12Artistic x 5Optimistic x 4Informative x 2Late x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    130 Posts
    Sounds funky
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 5Late Late x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    playdoh
    May 2008
    3,042 Posts
    My first impressions upon seeing this thread were that it was some anime-kawaii bullshit, but after reading through you post it seems pretty alright, even if the artstyle is imposes a bad impression on me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 33Dumb Dumb x 3Friendly Friendly x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    14,229 Posts
    Why all of these threads all of the sudden? I thought games like this were sort of shunned from the FP community.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 29Agree Agree x 2 (list)

5. Post #5
    Watching the world burn is my hobby.
    February 2005
    16,993 Posts
    My first impressions upon seeing this thread were that it was some anime-kawaii bullshit, but after reading through you post it seems pretty alright, even if the artstyle is imposes a bad impression on me.
    I'm a hard ass when it comes to anime. If a recommendation doesn't come from the few people who I tend to share likes with, I'm on ice. If I didn't actually like this I wouldn't ever talk about it. If it has no sex at all I'd probably be more talkative about it.

Edited:

Why all of these threads all of the sudden? I thought games like this were sort of shunned from the FP community.
    Because 1) I tend not to give a shit, 2) the other OP was trash and 3) I was peeking around in my portable hard drive and found this old OP saved, took two seconds to update it and wondered if it was worth posting still.

E: If this thread has more than five pages (not that I want to draw attention to it) then I don't feel bad posting this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    14,229 Posts
    Oh, no, I don't have anything against games like this, and apparently this one in particular is fairly popular, I just find that they tend to be few and far between here.

That and they're fucking hilarious to mess about with
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    September 2007
    3,864 Posts
    That thread is popular cause it's a fucked up game
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 14Disagree Disagree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    MEGA SENPAI KAWAII UGUU~~ =^_^=
    September 2008
    14,608 Posts
    Seems a bit odd, but if the characters are nuanced and the story-telling is decent, I see no reason to complain about the art style. I haven't played it, but that would be my first thought.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    June 2010
    811 Posts
    that thread doesn't exactly have the most positive replies
    then again that game is about pretty much nothing but sex maybe this one has a chance
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    9,328 Posts
    Just looking at them i feel like all the characters are cliché
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    September 2008
    715 Posts
    I've seen this mentioned and discussed a few times, but never tried the demo or anything. It just doesn't seem like my thing. Ironically I first heard about this game through a strange youtube video. Namely this:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 19Optimistic Optimistic x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    7,680 Posts
    rin is mai waifu~

Edited:

Some of you may know that the long neck reaction guy originated from a comic based off this game.
    just saiyan.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6Funny Funny x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    I'll donate $1,000 to a site that's based around chance but not $1 to a site that provides a community service :C
    February 2007
    33,189 Posts
    Isn't this that game were you cum in a burn victims face?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 71Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    MEGA SENPAI KAWAII UGUU~~ =^_^=
    September 2008
    14,608 Posts
    Just looking at them i feel like all the characters are cliché

That seems fairly common in this sort of medium.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    7,680 Posts
    not yet, but soon.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 10Funny Funny x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    The site has some awesome sigs

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edited:

Disability Girls

Fuck yes
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 33Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    April 2007
    989 Posts
    get hype
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

18. Post #18
    June 2010
    5,663 Posts
    Hanako's eye caught my attention. And reminded me of V from V For Vendetta for some reason.

If it's free, meh, Probably gonna have a crack at it once i get home.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    4,536 Posts
    Was monmusu not enough? Can we not just have an eroge thread or something?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6 (list)

20. Post #20
    Murr purr and stuff!
    November 2007
    36,455 Posts
    Kenji Seto

Borderline hikkikomori, Kenji likes to spend a lot of time in his room, planning for whatever the radical feminist movement's next move may be. He is leery of the instant attraction that Hisao seems to have brought upon himself, but nonetheless very pleased to finally have a hallmate.
    harry potter
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 64Funny Funny x 11Zing Zing x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    7,256 Posts
    I remember a thread on this same game a while back.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    So guys, who's your favourite gurl

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 17Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

23. Post #23
    fuck you
    February 2009
    2,888 Posts
    wait what

downloaded
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 62Agree Agree x 3Winner Winner x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Woah didn't know you were into this stuff
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    "some of those dragon dildo designs are pretty cool"
    February 2007
    9,315 Posts
    Man, been following this since 2 or so years ago.
    I was over the fucking moon when I saw the Jan 4th blogpost.

Edited:

So guys, who's your favourite gurl

HanakoLillyRin
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    431 Posts
    Why does she need glasses if she's deaf?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 33Artistic Artistic x 3Informative Informative x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    February 2007
    9,315 Posts
    Wondering if I should link it or not.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Funny x 170Winner x 5Informative x 2Agree x 1Artistic x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Wondering if I should link it or not.

Nice one

(User was banned for this post ("You shouldn't spam images as sigs" - Orkel))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 63Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

29. Post #29
    February 2007
    9,315 Posts
    You seriously using a fucking sig

On facepunch?

hahahahhahaha
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Funny Funny x 37Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 2 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    431 Posts
    Considering I wrote this much, I might as well toss out my personal opinion of it. When I first downloaded and installed it I played for three hours. I can't remember the last time I sat down and read a book for three hours. I can't say that the writing was totally gripping and had me by the balls, but it was interesting enough and most of all, I was still amazed that this as an amateur team doing something like this. While I only have one experience to go off of in terms of what is professional and what isn't in the VN world (I played through Tsukihime a few years ago), I was impressed. The art and writing were great and I didn't see any real flaws in what was going on. It was really good, and the complete opposite of everything you'd come to expect from a VN if you've been on the internet long enough.
    My opinion and experience seem to be in a similar level as it is with you, so I'm going to ask you and all the other people who have read Act I and got positively surprised by it, instead of writing more of the same opinion. Don't you feel a little spoiled after reading Act I? The quality was very nice, at times it felt like it could be an authentic translation of an actual Japanese visual novel, rather than something written by westerners. Yes, I've only read Tsukihime too, so I apologize if that sentence made any people reading this thread writhe in fury, but it was just a flowery little way of saying that KS could rival a good(???) VN in terms of the quality writing I have seen, and I would totally fall for a statement claiming that it was made in Japan, if it wasn't common knowledge that this VN originates from 4chan or if it wasn't stated at KS's website in an exclipit way. That's how good it is.

Now, about the characters. They played a really important part on sucking me up into the VN, I liked them so much. Oh so damn much. I am not really experienced with VNs like I stated, and in addition, I don't care about anime much, if at all. I've got to say, that it's rather hard to not like even one of these characters, I don't care if you've read dozens of VNs or watched hundreds of animes and read truckloads of manga, you can't possibly NOT like Kenji. He's probably the character that would raise my suspicions if people hypothetically would manage to mislead me into believing that the VN had been written by a bunch of japanese people. All that BRO and manliness, dude. You can't possibly fool me because of him. What about the girls, though? They've all got quite some personality, except maybe for Lilly, she's shown to be clichéd so far. She's still likeable, especially if you can pick up her playfulness and subtle passive-aggressive behavior. There's not really anybody who I outright hate, Shizune acts like a dick and bossy, but she's a class rep and half-a-student council in one. Well earned grumpiness, I say. Emi almost kills you by crashing into you, but uh, that was an interesting take on meetcute. Hanako? Eh, she's so incredibly cute. Real people can't be this cute, especially with those burn scars. Rin is... Rin. It'd leave her for the last for minimal headaches and maximum enjoyment in the full version. Who the hell isn't interesting in KS, again? Not even Lilly's sister, Akira, is safe from being awesome, despite only appearing in 1 scene in Act I. dat suit. She'd surely murder you painfully if you hurt Lilly in any way. Goddang smooth bastard.

Now, all this sexy, hilarity and serious business packed in Act I makes me worried. I truly feel spoiled. It feels almost unreal that 4LS, a bunch of international amateurs, could have procured such an interesting VN for their first time. Act I demo is just mindblowing. The writing, the characters, the music, the art, everything is so daaamn good. Can they really keep up the quality in the other acts of the game, as well? A full-sized VN is a huge tome to fill with words. Thus I feel one shouldn't hype Katawa Shoujo too much, it is free after all. If the full version indeed does come out, I'll try to read it as open-minded as possible. That is one of the better ways to not get too disappointed by the full version, if it doesn't turn out to be as good as the entirety of Act I. Don't get too high on expectations, if it turns out to be really good, good for 4LS and everybody who has cared about KS for the whole development time. If it's not that good? Still, gotta give respect for the hard work of these people.

Edit:

have a much less retarded version of the previous post, people!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Artistic Artistic x 9Dumb Dumb x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    July 2009
    2,833 Posts
    man I remember this from 2 years ago. I played it out of curiosity. I'm going to be honest, It wasn't too bad.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events

32. Post #32
    June 2010
    5,663 Posts
    Played it for 40 or so minutes now, Interesting game so far.

Edited:

Why am I narrating the guy with an Adam Jensen-like voice?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 18 (list)

33. Post #33
    February 2007
    9,315 Posts
    One shouldn't hype Katawa Shoujo too much. If the full version indeed does come out, I'll try to read it as open-minded as possible. That is one of the better ways to not get too disappointed by the full version, if it doesn't turn out to be as good as the entirety of Act I. Don't get too high on expectations, if it turns out to be really good, good for 4LS and everybody who has cared about KS for the whole development time. If it's not that good? Still, gotta give respect for the hard work of these people.
    From what I saw in Act1 and talked to/watched Devs talking on the IRC channel, I'm confident that they'll be able to provide a thoroughly entertaining and satisfying VN.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    6,287 Posts
    Played it for 40 or so minutes now, Interesting game so far.

Edited:

Why am I narrating the guy with an Adam Jensen-like voice?
    Because he never asked for this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 26Winner Winner x 3Zing Zing x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    5,753 Posts
    I had the demo for a while. Never got real far, but I found it entertaining. The full version's going to cost real money, right?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

36. Post #36
    June 2010
    5,663 Posts
    Passed the demo, if full version comes out free, might just download.

This also confirms my love for interactive visual novels like Ace Attorney.

January 4th of 2012 is release date according to home page.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

37. Post #37
    Best ~porn artist~ 2011
    November 2009
    1,104 Posts
    I'm only downloading the full version to find out Misha's disability.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Belgium Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    2,410 Posts
    The first and so far last visual novel I played (if we exclude the Phoenix Wright series) was that weird one about the suicidal terminally ill girl. I went into it in full "dis gon b gud" mode expecting porn but got a good story instead.

That being said I might just give this a try. One thing that annoys me though is that from what I've seen these games always feature a harem of girls for obvious reasons. I'd have better expectations if the cast was a bit more rounded.

Then again, selling these would unfortunately probably be a financial suicide if they had no naughty bits.

Edited:

I'm only downloading the full version to find out Misha's disability.
    Wikipedia:

It is not clear what disability or condition she suffers from to warrant enrollment at Yamaku. Theories have included, due to her personality, a mix of ADHD and OCD.   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

39. Post #39
    February 2007
    9,315 Posts
    Passed the demo, if full version comes out free, might just download.

This also confirms my love for interactive visual novels like Ace Attorney.

January 4th of 2012 is release date according to home page.

Full game will be free.

Edited:

Then again, selling these would unfortunately probably be a financial suicide if they had no naughty bits.
    Full game will be free and have naughty bits
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    6,287 Posts
    I wonder if they will let you be really obnoxious to everyone.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)