1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    3,352 Posts
    I'm just back from a trip to Shetland, which is a sub-artic collection of Scottish islands that lie between Scotland and Norway.

We were there on a 3 day photography expedition, helping out my friend with his masters research project. He's using photogrammetry to scan and reconstruct historical Scottish sites, using a combination of Kite Aerial Photography, and Pole Photography. I was there to assist, and film time lapse footage to use as backdrops and interludes for the CGI reconstruction.

You can view the complete set on Flickr, but I'll post some of the highlights here. Along with some of my mate's other work, he's still processing the aerial pictures form this trip, so they might be a few days.

The light was stunning, being so far north... there was only around 5 hours of daylight, and it was like a perpetual sunset. Sadly the weather fluctuated wildly, but the snow and rain often gave the light quite an atmospheric, eerie quality. It took it's toll on the equipment, and us.

All in all, I think I got a few I can really be proud of. The time lapses will be up within the coming weeks, some of which turned out really nice... others quite unusable. The constant changes in light levels were such a massive challenge and pretty much impossible to compensate for, alas.

Enjoy, feedback welcome as always.

Jharlsoft Rainbow by Kieran Duncan, on Flickr

St Ninians Isle by Kieran Duncan, on Flickr

St Ninians 2 by Kieran Duncan, on Flickr

St Ninians 3 by Kieran Duncan, on Flickr

Untitled by Kieran Duncan, on Flickr

Jharlsof Pole Photography by Kieran Duncan, on Flickr

Jarlshof Ruins 2 by Kieran Duncan, on Flickr

Jarlshof Ruins 5 by Kieran Duncan, on Flickr

Pole Photography by Kieran Duncan, on Flickr
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 26Winner Winner x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,516 Posts
    those are fantastic!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 10Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    April 2009
    828 Posts
    These are really nice, great job!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    3,352 Posts
    Thanks man,

I still don't think I've topped my landscape from France in the summer though, some of you might remember it.

I can't wait until I get something better.

Col Du Galibier Panorama 1 by Kieran Duncan, on Flickr
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 7Winner Winner x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    hyper-articulate
    October 2007
    12,433 Posts
    Excellent work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    January 2010
    995 Posts
    Man these are great! Really inspiring.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,948 Posts
    I came. I came.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    3,352 Posts
    Just viewed it on my other monitor and I could probably brighten a few of them... alas. I forget how bright my laptop is.

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    1,253 Posts
    brb going to go make some JELLY

Seriously though, loving these shots, especially untitled and Jarlshof Ruins 5
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

10. Post #10

May 2006
    9,040 Posts
    I was expecting more ponies, to be honest.

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    3,352 Posts
    Haha, we barely saw any. Drove past one a few times but didn't have time to stop.... totally should have.

12. Post #12
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    12,990 Posts
    your colors are phenomenal.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    3,352 Posts
    Thanks man, they're not overly tinkered with either... the light was phenomenal. The snow, rain and fog gave the air a real orange tinge.

14. Post #14
    December 2008
    1,653 Posts
    Jarlshof Ruins 5 is by far my favorite out of the series. The light reflecting off of every surface so smoothly just pulls me in and makes me feel warm. The way that the stone structure comes to an end and has piles of sand creeping over it really makes the photo, turning the ruins and the process of erosion into the focal point. It's a good strong line. The stones along the beach make me examine the rest of the composition in full, appreciate it, and then bring me back into the ruins. Magnificent work.

15. Post #15
    Dennab
    June 2010
    1,908 Posts
    These are beautiful, Scotchair.

16. Post #16
    ask me about my title
    August 2009
    2,718 Posts
    I love the exposure on the water. Really gives it that misty feel. Good work!

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    21,261 Posts
    The amount of sexy is unbelievable. Especially with those colors.

A+

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    5,207 Posts
    Great stuff dude.

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    6,841 Posts
    Thanks man,

I still don't think I've topped my landscape from France in the summer though, some of you might remember it.

I can't wait until I get something better.

Col Du Galibier Panorama 1 by Kieran Duncan, on Flickr
    I literally said "holy shit" out loud when I saw this one

20. Post #20
    February 2009
    3,441 Posts
    Get you're ass over to the Western Isles next time you go for a trip! It's awesome over here if you have the eye. If you have the money i would recommend a trip to St. Kilda. If you don't know what that is, fucking google it.

Bloody amazing pictures bro.

Tha mi Jelly.

21. Post #21
    WERGWERGWERGWERGWERG
    September 2008
    22,007 Posts
    I live in Shetland, only a couple of miles from St Ninian's and the beach in the 5th photo. You should see those beaches on a rough day, it's much more spectacular. There's a great range of wildlife as well. At the bottom of my road, you get the chance to see seals, otters, geese, blackbirds, sheep, horses and at one point, alpacas. They got moved away though.

22. Post #22
    February 2009
    3,441 Posts
    I woke up one morning to look out the window and see 2 Otters playing in my garden. It was awesome! That was a good few years ago though, they don't show themselves that often.

Then there's Uist, that has some brilliant wildlife!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)